Sign in to follow this  
gooieooie

What does DQ mean to you? (A Project)

That goes for me as well, Gooieooie.  Due to the encouragement I've received from many Den members, I've decided to write my own account.  I've just been super busy lately and haven't had the time.  Even if it is decided that my story may not be appropriate to send (and I would be completely ok with that), I'd still like to share it here.

I'm in the same boat as KZ and Griever.

To all three of you: I'm not exactly sure when, but I'm planning on moving to the second step soon enough. However, you can submit your answer during any step, so if you need a while to write it, take your time! There's no need to rush. :)

Also, does anyone else want to send it in to SQEX on the day we specify? It would help if multiple people send it in.

Edited by gooieooie

Hnmm... I probably won't be able to write up a huge detailed post, but the DQ series was one of the earliest games I played in my childhood. I came across a magazine article that had a short gameplay guide for Dragon Warrior I on the gameboy, and I asked my parents to get it for me. I loved both games a great deal, spending most of my time playing the second game and imagining about all these wonderful looking creatures and places. When Dragon Warrior 3 rolled around, I got it the day it was released. It has to be one of my all time favorite games, and still is.

I never got the chance to play Terry's Wonderland, but I played the heck out of Tara's Adventure, still play it today even (Admittedly on an emulator, since I lost the cartridge for Tara's a few years back urfh..). Most of my early and middle childhood was taken up by Dragon Quest. I never got the chance to play the original DQ/DW games past IV, though I saw advertisements for them on the Playstation and whatnot.

So I'd say it's a large and important part of my childhood, since Dragon Warrior 2 and 3, as well as the second Monsters installment, were some of my most cherished games and influenced a lot of my writing and artwork through elementary and middle school.

Edited by Rezca

Is anybody else still working on submissions, or should I start moving to the second step?

(you can still submit stuff during the next step)

Is anybody else still working on submissions, or should I start moving to the second step?

(you can still submit stuff during the next step)

I would say give a deadline of one week.  Ask Woodus to put this back up at the top of the front-page, with the 1-week deadline indicator for submissions.  Or whatever timeline you feel comfortable with.  That'll give people a little kick in the gelatous extremus, for those who were planning on writing something, but haven't gotten around to it.

Hm, that's a good idea. I'll say you need to submit by two weeks from now. So... April 6th.

I'll PM Woodus and tell him :)

DQ to me means adventure, interesting characters, great stories and the chance to help a world survive. But more than that DQ gives a sense of fulfillment in that you can conquer fear of the unknown (the characters that is) and have a chance to enhance your own feelings about helping others in your world, even if there is no reward. 

Thanks; added!

For people who are reading this thread right now and haven't checked the news post: SUBMISSIONS ARE DUE BY APRIL 6TH, 2015!

I'll give you until 11:59 on that day, and that's it. So get them in! :D

Thanks; added!

For people who are reading this thread right now and haven't checked the news post: SUBMISSIONS ARE DUE BY APRIL 6TH, 2015!

I'll give you until 11:59 on that day, and that's it. So get them in! :D

Pacific, Mountain, Central, or Eastern Standard Time?

I'll first start off by saying that I got into the Dragon Quest games when IX first came out, I ended up getting it as a last-minute Christmas present. When I first played it the puns threw me off big-time, but I wanted to pull through since it was a Christmas present and I had to show that I like it. I ended up later liking the game's writing so much because it had such an EarthBound feel (which was inspired by Dragon Quest). I began to like all the puns and quirky English writing of the game and once I got past that I ended up finding IX to be an amazing experience, I compared it to a game like Skyrim or Fallout considering how big and how much there was to do in it. I eventually decided to play through all of them after having such an amazing time with IX. I later made it up to playing IV and by around that time, Dragon Quest X was announced. I couldn't wait to play more Dragon Quest.

As I thought three years ago.

Ever since then there have been multiple releases of X on different platforms, and a ton of 3DS games that are currently not released outside of Japan. I just thought to myself "Why aren't they releasing these games? There were still a steady release of games before X and the 3DS games so why stop now?" It really bothers me that I get into this series just for it to fall in localisation limbo once I got into the Dragon Quest games. It's really obvious to everyone around me how much this bothers me. Just when I found out Dragon Quest was good everything just stopped. I continually hope for Dragon Quest X's release, hoping that it would re-create my first-time joy with IX and to be able to show my friends just how great and enjoyable these games are. There are the iOS/Android remakes, but most of my friends avoid playing on smartphones and tablets. 

So what does Dragon Quest mean to me?

Dragon Quest IX was a game that made me realise I needed to think more openly about video games, and not to be dismissal of some games at first glance. Thanks to Dragon Quest IX I've gotten into more games like Fire Emblem, Minecraft, and many other titles that I would usually act negative towards because I simply never got the joy of it. Dragon Quest was a big help in trying to break my selective video game border, and I show my best to support a franchise that had changed the way I approached playing video games. I went from enjoying games to trying to find absolute adoration in what each individual game can offer. It's why I loved playing the Dragon Quest games. Each and every single one of them always tried something new, whether it was marriage in V, or the classes of III, all of these games stand out on their own while still being a Dragon Quest games. These games are truly special, and I really wonder why I looked over Dragon Quest.

Dragon Quest helped me broaden my horizon of gaming, because of how different it was from most games and how each game [Dragon Quest and most other games] is always a unique experience.

That is how much Dragon Quest means to me, and that is what Dragon Quest means to me.

What does Dragon Quest mean to me?

That's a kind of hard question to answer...Dragon Quest may not have been the first game that I played, but it was the first game I played that held meaning to me other then gameplay. Other then what was just on the surface. The first game series I would replay over and over and get 100% every single time and still love it. Even when I play some of the games I can't understand there is something there that interests me... That keeps me coming back. It's quite hard to describe and pretty unbelievable so let me put it this way: Dragon Quest was the first game that spoke to me in more ways then just with gameplay. The first game that I took every opportunity to talk to random civilians to figure out exactly what was going on in the story and loved every second I took that small detour because it meant something.

The first Dragon Quest game I played was, surprisingly, Rocket Slime. That tiny game you can get 100% on pretty easily. The tank battles were amusing and fun, but once again, it was just gameplay to me. The characters were interesting, but I wanted to play the game not experience it. The second was another side-game, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker. Rather amusingly, the first X rank monster I worked hard towards was Mortamor. A demonic looking creature that I had no idea what it even was the first time I looked at it, but it intrigued me so I eventually synthesized it. This was the first game that spoke to me more then gameplay, because when I saw Mortamor I wanted to know what it was. When was it created? How did they get the idea for this bizarre creature? And I found it out and played my first actual Dragon Quest game, Dragon Quest VI. I love all Dragon Quest games, but Dragon Quest VI spoke to me the most. Now that may just be because it was the first real Dragon Quest game I played, but regardless, it was the first game I really felt everything that was happening. I ran through the game once and was pretty confused, to tell the truth. But after the second and third run-through, I loved how every piece of every puzzle had a place. After that game, I played Dragon Quest IV. What stood out to me about this game was its characters. Each one really developed as time went on and the result was a very realistic and life-like experience. I died quite frequently on later bosses, but every time I came back I tried something different. And eventually, I would prevail and I would celebrate and really feel excited. I felt outright rage towards Aamon for what he had done, I have hated characters in video games, but never before had I really felt rage. Felt like the truth was unfair, like something needed to come at Aamon and punish him for what he had done.

Dragon Quest V was next, followed by Dragon Quest IX, Dragon Quest VIII, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2. Each one of these games held special meaning to me, and I never wanted to put them down, but eventually it was over. There were no more games-no more experiences. These games really helped me become the woman I am today, but they were gone now. I, of course, imported many of them to play, but without the ability to understand them it really hindered the experience. You have no idea what I would give to experience that feeling again, but for the time I would just have to play the ones I owned... I would have to attempt to translate the ones I couldn't understand. But when I heard Dragon Quest Heroes was being localized... When I heard Square Enix said that the Western Dragon Quest fans have a bright future, I was given hope again! That feeling of a light piercing through the darkness... It was overpowering.

Is this what Dragon Quest means to me?

This is closer to how Dragon Quest makes me feel. What it has done to me. But what does Dragon Quest mean to me?

Everything.

Edited by Hoshino22

Thank you, Gooie! ^^

No problem! ;)

Added a PM'd submission from Deforestater.

• Upvote 1

Added a PM'd submission from Sneers. It was an awesome one :D

Just in case I shall place it in here  as well..

Sent Yesterday, 08:52 PM

"What does Dragon Quest mean to you?"

Well this will take awhile I hope you are sitting down, and are comfortable. Dragon Quest to me is not just any old game, it is my childhood to my adult life. It all started when I had a subscription to Nintendo's Fan Club before Nintendo Power came out. On release of Nintendo's first Nintendo Power magazine which came with the Nintendo Fan Club subscription, I was sent a copy of Dragon Warrior. Now at the time I wasn't really into RPGs, but was starting to get into them such as Bard's Tale and Might and Magic. When that cartridge came to my house, history was written.

From pressing the Power button on the first day, I was hooked instantly. It reminded me of Ultima but with a more linear goal, and a lot less headache. My childhood would never be the same again from this point on for the better. After completing DW1 I could not wait for the next installment of the series. Kept reading about it in Nintendo Power, and was getting extremely excited. No other game could compare at the time, except for maybe Zelda and Metroid. 

Once DW2 came out I was living, eating, breathing, and enjoying DW as much as possible. I even got my family hooked namely my uncle. He was playing the first game as I was venturing through the tough second one. Though the game was 100x harder than the first for me, the party aspects and the over all more open world put me in awe as though I was mesmerized anytime I looked at the screen. Completed 2 and the wait begins again, and though I completed the game I sat down gridning until I was max level with everyone out of sheer boredom to wait for 3. 

Oh man 3... where do I begin with 3... At this moment 3 to me hands down was the best of the Loto Trilogy. Create your own characters, run them through a vast world of light and dark, and end up in the world of DW1 where the story continues to DW1. I would skip school, pretend I was sick, do whatever it took to play DW3, it was my drug. Though it was bad choices back then, I still do not regret it to this day.

And now for the Zenithian Series, oh man what a twist. Playing multiple stories only to end up all meeting at the end. I will be honest at first I did not care for this game for many reasons. The small storylines made it seem as though it wasn't one game but many small stories which at first I hated. But when I found out the real story began once you meet the Hero with everyone, my mind was blown. Very awesome tactic and definitely pulled me in. By this time FF was also well into it's 4th game ( 2 for us ) and I was conflicted for FF4 was my favorite FF of all time. But even so DW/DQ held something in my heart. 

Now for the heartache, and the determination of a handsdown DW fan. No 5 or 6 came out... I was devistated, though I seen the game pictures in gaming magazines, I would never play them I thought. Until one day on DQ5's release date in Japan, we had a local Japanese game store around teh corner from us. I popped in saw no Dragon Warrior 5, but I did notice a game that looked similar but was called Dragon Quest 5. I asked the clerk what is that he told me it is Dragon Warrior 5 but is really know as Dragon Quest. My heart sank, in the good way. I begged and dropped all my allowence into the pricy $155 brand new cart. Not even knowing a lick of Japanese I did not care for I held the best damn DQ game in history in my hands.

As time went on and I was getting stuck due to language barriers, I went to our local Japanese Mall which had a bookstore in it. And holy crap did they have the best damn selection of gaming guides ever. Thumnbing through them all I found the holy grail for 550 Yen which is around $6 ( damn cheap for a full on guide with maps and unique art ) I had the power to beat DQ5 without knowing anything about the story. Showed exactly step by step where to go, what level to be there , and showed detail maps of everything towns, and dungeons. Within a month I have bested DQ5, and damn proud to say I am probably the only American on launch day , who cannot read or understand Japanese has beaten DQ5. 

Time moves on, and sadly that store never got DQ6 for lack of sales of 5. Also sadly I did not own a PS1 so I was not blessed to play DQ7. But I will have to say 8, and 9 are great add ons later in life.

So what is DQ to me? 30 best damn years of my life hands down, and continued to be so. I just hope to god they bring 10 here, playing an online version of the best damn RPG ever to hit the states would be fulfilling to me. My daughter is also very knowledgeable of DQ, I have started her young. She has played 9, not beaten it but got to the whale which to me is damn good for her age. Anyways SEI if you are reading this, take this from a long term fan who has been there since day 1. Whatever title comes out from Japan, Online or not, should definitely bring to the states. Because as you can see, it is not just a game but a livelihood.

Thank you for your time,

Well, I've said it already, and I know it's been seen, but I feel guilty for putting it in the wrong place. But to me, Dragon Quest means perfection. Every Dragon Quest game I've ever played is superb, regardless of whether or not I've finished it. The monsters are well designed with comically pathetic enemies like the world famous slimes mixed in with menacing horrors like the final bosses. The characters are easy to become attached to, especially Abel, the main protagonist from Dragon Quest V (Well I heard he's supposed to be called Abel). And it features gameplay across all sorts of different genres: Standard JRPGs, Monster Collecting, Platforming, Real Time Strategy, and Hack n' Slash (in both 3rd and 1st person). There's an omnipresent, undeniable, and always appreciated charm about the games. And above all else, it remains consistent in design from game to game (well, as far as character design goes). In short, Dragon Quest, means RPG greatness to me, and I hope that Square Enix will realize that fans in the west are sorely missing these games.

Dragon Quest, or Dragon Warrior, as I knew it in the formative years of my life, means my introduction to a new type of video game, a type of game I grew to love more and more through the years. If not for Dragon Quest, my time in my favorite hobby would have been far different.

The early games sparked my imagination in ways not even the action RPGs like Zelda of the day could do. The game's initial limitations were it's strengths to me. the text descriptions of actions of still characters left me to fill in the gaps. The quasi-shakespearean dialog of the first two games of the series felt authentic to the realm of knights and wizards it was portraying, and made me feel smarter for reading it. The idea of growing stronger with time, and the sense of travelling far away lands filled with danger was thrilling and empowering in a way few other games I'd played matched. I had before only played Mario games, where characters moments of power were fleeting and impermanent. Dragon Warrior opened to me a world where a new and permanent increase in ability was just one bridge, or mountain range, or cave away, and only my patience, and my strategic mind could get me there. It was a quest for my mind more than my thumbs and it produced in me a thoughtful, intelligent man out of an imaginative, dreaming boy. A boy who would attempt to create a home made board game to recapture the essence of Dragon Warrior, without even ever having heard the terms d20 or Gary Gygax. Dragon Warrior had me attempting to make a paperback RPG in my own home before I even knew what they were!

As I grew into that thoughtful man, the games I loved grew up with me, as the saga continued in parts 2, 3, and 4. The sense of continuity and growth of story in Dragon Warrior's opening trilogy was something I'd never seen before, and has grown into the sprawling epics in storytelling we know today. Dragon Warrior 4 was not connected to them in sense but theme and number, but the unique bend on storytelling with several chapters devoted to the many friends your named character would make throughout his or her adventure was something I'd never seen before or since.

The Dragon Quest series left me for several years after that, as Enix hit hard times in the 90's, but I never left it. when it returned in the 2000's and beyond, I have been impressed and a loyal follower of nearly every new adventure ever since.

To make a long story short, what does Dragon Quest mean to me? It means roots. MY roots as a gamer, and in some ways, as an imaginative person.

My apologies to Dog of Zahan for being a jerk in the news thread and Platty for needing to call me out on it.

I have added your submission. Sorry 'bout that.

Shall I repost mine here, or you got it from the place I accidentally misposted to? ( and again, sorry for that * whines softly, embarrassed * )

Nah, I got it. Thanks for the submission! And thanks for not being upset when I got frustrated yesterday. ;)