Sign in to follow this  
gooieooie

What does DQ mean to you? (A Project)

I've had this idea for a while, and I thought, "I'll wait until I see what Holey Heroes and Masters of the Masks are." However, I realized that it would be best to finish this sooner rather than later, so that if neither of them are related to DQ, this can persuade them to start localization (if they haven't already).

So yes, welcome to the "What does DQ mean to you?" topic! This is a small, simple project that I've been thinking about for a little while, and now I'm finally posting about it.

What is the project about?

The project is a small and simple one that probably won't take too much time, but if pulled off successfully, it could do quite well for our chances of getting Dragon Quest games localized to the West.

"What does DQ mean to you?" is a project with a very simple idea: the same question it's named by. What does Dragon Quest mean to you? That simple question is all you need to answer. In a way, this is a petition of sorts, but it's not really; it's a collection of what the games mean to us, DQ fans.

So how do I participate?

Participation is simple, and I said it above, actually; answer a single question:

"What does Dragon Quest mean to you?"

It could mean anything to anyone who plays it. Basically, I want to get fans to answer and have a huge collection of fans' passions for the games, which will then be sent to Square Enix. Also, if you'd like to write more, go for it! Say which games you want localized, what you want to see from SE, or anything else.

What exactly will this project be?

The project will be in a few steps:

1. Get fans to answer the question the project is named after.

2. Compile the responses together into a document, such as a text document.

3. Write some things inside, like a summary of what the file is.

4. Get fan art and works submitted to the project, which can be added in.

5. Touch it up, and then get multiple people to send it off to people who could make localization happen.

The end result will be a digital book, which can then be e-mailed to SE. I'm hoping to get others to send in the book, too, in the fashion of a letter bomb.

Why should I bother participating? What if I don't think VII, X, or any other DQs will ever come West?

This is something I can't stress enough: participate anyways. If you're one of the people who says "Square Enix has abandoned DQ. We're only ever getting mobile releases out West. VII and X will NEVER come West.", participate anyways. If you even want these games, just say what DQ means to you. It doesn't matter whether or not you think it'll amount to anything: a simple question, and you've helped the project.

Projects like this never seem to take off. Why should I believe this one will?

Well, to be honest, I can't really tell you whether this'll end up going anywhere or not. One of the big reasons why I think this one might do something is because of how simple it is. Dragon Quest fans, for whatever reason, are one of the hardest fanbases to get together for a cause, unlike others like the EarthBound fanbase, who finally got EarthBound re-released about a year or two ago. With this, all you're required to do is answer a question. Heck, you could answer with a single word. If all DQ means to you is "Fun", go ahead and answer with that! I just want the most submissions possible.

How can I help out further?

You could choose to submit fan art, write other things (like a small section for the book), help me organize this, or be one of the people helping to mail it in! If you'd like to do any of those (or anything else), simply post here or PM me!

Who's helped so far?

(For Step 1) These people have answered the question:

-Princess Lily

-ignasia7

-Mattcraft

-Woodus

-solo

-Motdrafin

-Deadxxstars

-knighTeen87

-But_Thou_Must

-Geon

-Rezca 

-CoarseDragon

-Charski

-Megalosaro

-Hoshino22

-Deforestater

-Sneers

-RaxusCarnelli (via newsroom) 

-The Dog of Zahan (via newsroom)

-redneckpride4ever

(For Step 2) These people have submitted fan art:

-mariosmentor

(For Step 3) These people have submitted reasons why Square Enix should localize the games.

-ignasia7

These people will be e-mailing the document to SE when it's finished:

-gooieooie

-

Steps in the process:

Step 1: Compile a list of submissions on "What does Dragon Quest mean to you?", due 11:59 pm on April 6th, 2015, Eastern Standard Time. [COMPLETE!]

Step 2: Compile a pile of fan art created by members of the community. Fan art is due 11:59 on April 24th, 2015, Eastern Standard Time.

[COMPLETE!]

Step 3:  Compile a list of submissions on why Square Enix should localize Dragon Quest titles to the West, due 11:59 on June 5th, 2015, Eastern Standard Time.

Step 4: Coming soon!

...And I think that's it! Think this is a dumb idea? Tell me! Think it's a good idea? Please, spread the word, and try submitting to the project! Thanks for reading this, and I hope to get lots of submissions!

Edited by gooieooie
  • Upvote 2

I'm posting a link to this on the facebook page of Operation Hero.  Done.

"What does Dragon Quest mean to you?"

That's a hard question to put into words.  The meaning changes each time I play, those various emotional or intellectual elements that tie together in the games that draw me to it, especially given the level of simplicity at face value, but the tremendous depth hidden underneath.

I suppose for me, due to writing FAQs for the series, there's that extra drive to go further, at least in terms of gameplay, and really see what I can do, and what I can't.  The small nuances that govern the system.  So it's a series that definitely draws me in to want to play more, to see what more I can wring out from it.  Whether I want a different type of replay, or maybe I just want to power up, or maybe I feel like sailing through the gameplay without any unnecessary grinding, just so I can stop and enjoy only the story, while the gameplay is an afterthought.

It's hard to pinpoint.  Each game means something different.  Does something different.  As a series it touches on a surprising variety of topics.  Historical concepts, sociological elements, some of those dark seedy elements of life, love, lust, and even family.  Granted, the surface layers give this impression of something shallow, but paying closer attention to the words and the obviously implied meanings and simple nuances as the shifting dialogue of Debora, as she goes from cold-hearted sadomasochist, to appreciative but hard and pushy, to openly caring and considerate, to the harsh realities of such gut wrenching loss as that of a sweet and considerate wife Katrina after her loving, but work obsessed and socially awkward husband saves the town from the wretched illness coming from the Quarantomb, and the aftermath of bringing him some sense of community and companionship to alleviate his loss, as he learns he is appreciated outside of his home, and comes to accept his role in the greater community.  Dragon Quest storylines have a lot to offer, but always in simple, and small doses.  The larger themes tend to be the primordial good versus evil, with very fixed concepts of what good and evil actually are, but the games tend to focus on those smaller towns, and their more intimate storylines.  That, in many ways, gives me a greater sense of meaning and connection to each and every place visited, and the storylines of the various NPCs.

There's the fact that every single DQ has slowly grown.  It's not trying to reinvent the wheel.  Rather it's like a good car company, that knows it has a good product.  It doesn't fix what isn't broken.  It tweaks it.  Maybe one element is removed for one game, and shows up a few games later.  Maybe another element is added in, to see how well the product runs, looks, feels, but it never once strives to be something different from what it is.  It appreciates itself, and this shows with each game.  I guess what I'm trying to say is, Dragon Quest is to videogames what ice cream is to desert.  What a grilled cheese sandwich shared with your mum on a cold night, and then some hot cocoa afterwards is to food.  It's simple, good, clean fun.  It's intuitive to enjoy.  I don't have to think about whether I like it or not.  I don't HAVE to think about whether I want to delve deeper into the game or not.  It's something I naturally enjoy (I just like to delve deeper).

It's like coming home.  I can rest easy knowing the next game will still be Dragon Quest, no matter what is tweaked, no matter what is added, what is removed, or even what alternative gameplay is used for a new offshoot of the series.  The sounds, the graphics, the way the stories unfold, the feel, the gameplay elements.  It's all Dragon Quest all the time.  I can always relax and just...play.

- Alexander Langella

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

Wow! :D That's a great response, and you evem posted to Operation Hero! Thanks, Ignasia!

Dragon Quest is a nostalgia road-trip to the days of old. Where RPGs did not hold your hand, but instead backstabbed you every time you saw a silvery smile.

That's what it is to me.

Thanks for all the submissions so far! I see the topic has 77 views. Now, let's turn those views into posts, shall we? ;)

For me it is mainly storyline and nostalgia, for some reason DQ stories draw me in more that other series, cannot really explain why. I always have to talk to everyone in every town, and usually do multiple times to see if they have an new information for me. I played Zork, Eye of the Beholder, King's Quest series on the PC back then, but nothing had me looking forward to a new game like Dragon Quest did.  Well I must have enjoyed the series, I started this site almost 20 years ago ;)

Dragon Quest is a nostalgia road-trip to the days of old. Where RPGs did not hold your hand, but instead backstabbed you every time you saw a silvery smile.

That's what it is to me.

Never stabbed me in back, just old games didn't tell you where to go and when, just let you explore and die if you went too far too fast.

Those damned Metal Slimes stab everyone in the back. Always.

Thanks for the response, Woodus. :)

I'm wondering, is it possible for this to get a post in the Announcements area of the site? Not sure if this is big enough for that, but I'd like to draw more attention from around the site, if possible. :)

That's what it is to me.

Never stabbed me in back, just old games didn't tell you where to go and when, just let you explore and die if you went too far too fast.

Those damned Metal Slimes stab everyone in the back. Always.

So? I stab them in the back when they (almost always) try to run. I have no qualms with others doing on to me what I do onto them. Golden rule. Live it. Love it. Kill Slimes.

Sure thing, I just quoted your main post because your explanation is better that I could describe it.

Dragon quest is my life without it i will never get to my goal and might never make my dream come true so i will see to that the newer generations get to know dq i feel like it is my duty

The Dragon Quest series holds some of my favorite games. They all have their own charm, with fun gameplay, nice characters, story, and art style. The Dragon Quest series has helped introduced me to other JRPG series too, and started my appreciation towards this genre- which quickly became my favorite one! The series has also gotten me through long car rides and boring days, which rapidly became fun right when I heard the title screen's fanfare. Thank you Dragon Quest!

• Upvote 1

I decided to update and put my name on that.  If this is being sent to SE, then I want that extra level of personalization.

Gotta agree with Lilly, stabbed in the back doesn't quite cut it.  Their running away only makes me hunger ever more for the moment I can stomp all over their metallic bodies...  Heeeeeeerrrrreeeeee's Erdrick!

• Upvote 1

Added two more submissions that were submitted incorrectly (one was posted on the newsroom post, one was PM'd to Woodus instead of me)

Submissions are coming really slow, though. :/

Added two more submissions that were submitted incorrectly (one was posted on the newsroom post, one was PM'd to Woodus instead of me)

Submissions are coming really slow, though. :/

I know, I had figured more people would get into this.

I have a very personal account that is from the heart on what DQ means to me, but I've avoided posting it, as again, it is very personal and the subject matter may get a bit controversial for some.  I certainly don't want to hurt the cause and I don't want to (possibly) paint the fan base in the wrong color.  Likewise, I don't want my fellow Den members to view me any differently.  I'm an open book and certainly don't mind sharing under the right circumstances, but for the aforementioned reasons, have been hesitant to do so. 

Edited by Griever
  • Upvote 1

I have a very personal account that is from the heart on what DQ means to me, but I've avoided posting it, as again, it is very personal and the subject matter may get a bit controversial for some.  I certainly don't want to hurt the cause and I don't want to (possibly) paint the fan base in the wrong color.  Likewise, I don't want my fellow Den members to view me any differently.  I'm an open book and certainly don't mind sharing under the right circumstances, but for the aforementioned reasons, have been hesitant to do so. 

I don't want to push you into sharing something that you would rather not, but I must admit my curiosity has been piqued.  It might be wise to go with your instincts on this, but I for one would make every attempt to hear your story with an open mind and not pass judgement.  Whatever you decide, I'm interested to hear that DQ has had an apparently profound impact on you.  I hope it has been a positive impact, as I know it has been on many others from the fanbase (including myself).

• Upvote 2

Unless DQ triggers some psychotic rage where the next morning you awaken to a half-eaten corpse, and no memory of the night's events, I don't think I'll find anything to judge you on...(that was injected for humour).

I mean, half of what I described is based on some very troubled things that happened to me as a child.  Not just DQ, but gaming in general was a comfort for me, though DQ3 especially, was a game I went to for escape than most (FF1 after it).  So if it relates to your history, I fully understand, and you have my support.  There is never anything to judge when it comes to personal attachments, because we all have them.  So feel free to share if you want to, and if you don't, no sweat, I respect that, but you have piqued my interest as well.

For that matter...I want to know what DQ means to the Zenithian Lord himself!  Spill it!

Edited by ignasia7

Mine as well! Submissions to this will be sent to SQEX, but if you want to, I can omit yours from being sent if you want it to stay on the Den. Completely your decision, though. :)

"What does DQ mean to you?"

To me, Dragon Quest is the quintessential console RPG. It may not have been the first RPG ever or the first electronic RPG. However, its spot in video game history lies in how it brought the genre to the general gaming community. It streamlined the technical aspects of Dungeons and Dragons and presented it in a colorful world with recognizable characters and monsters. It also inspired other popular console RPG series such as Final Fantasy and Pokémon (with Dragon Quest V's monster recruitment system). 

The series has a solid development team that, like the games themselves, has stayed consistent since day 1. Horii's storytelling engages the player to keep advancing the plot, especially in Dragon Quest IV and V. Toriyama's monster designs are simplistic but also instantly recognizable to any fan of the series. Sugiyama's classical soundtrack captures the essence of music: making the listener feel something (whether that be accomplishment, sadness, shock, or suspense) and bringing out the human side in people.

I love how Dragon Quest's simple, intuitive gameplay has been mostly consistent throughout the series since game 1, but with innovations along the way such as multiple party members, class changing, monster recruitment and training, and many others. The gameplay is also a source of relieving stress for me; there's nothing quite like hearing the signature "level-up" jingle after defeating metals!

Edited by But_Thou_Must
  • Upvote 2

Dragon Quest III (GBC) was the first DQ game, and RPG, that I ever played. Being very young and having no experience in the genre, I was terrible at it - so bad I could never get off the first continent. That only pushed me on though, and added to the fun. With time I learned of more DQ games and enjoyed experiencing each one.

Dragon Quest is one of my favourite gaming franchises, and one that I can buy into with faith of any new game release. The formula is fun and consistent, while the spin off games always manage to also capture my interest. The universe of DQ is a very familiar place, and seeing it again and again, with new stories to be told every time is a joy. Playing a new DQ game is a strange mix of nostalgia for all that's come before it, while a refreshing new experience with a new story, and possibly new mechanics or functionality. Not having any releases here in the West as of late has served to remind me just how much I love the series, and how much I miss it.

Edited by Geon
  • Upvote 1

Hey gooieooie, how long do you plan to keep this open for?  I intend to write up a short little bit about what DQ means to me, but haven't had the few consecutive minutes required to do so yet.  Just want to make sure I don't miss the boat.