Hi everyone, I've been lurking around here a little on the DQ73DS section reading about theories of whether it would be localized or not etc. I ended up importing a copy since I didn't feel like waiting for them to make an English version, and playing it via the regionthree hack on my american 3ds. Learning japanese is proving quite difficult but I can usually get a rough idea of what everyone's saying... sortof... still, this forum looked like a cool community and I thought I'd register so I could chat with some other dragon quest fans.

I grew up playing Dragon Warrior 1 and 2 on my older brother's hand-me-down NES, then got the PSX version of Dragon Warrior VII when I was 10ish and it instantly became my favorite game of all time-- and it's still not been surpassed by anything else I've played. So now here I am playing dq7 3ds in japanese, having to sit down and intensely study every little piece of text to get even a remote idea of what people are saying-- and loving every minute of it because I just love this game that much. I also have DQ4 and 9 on the DS though I haven't played all the way through either, and I did play a bit of 4 on the NES too. I also played Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker on the DS which I thoroughly enjoyed. So much better than pokemon imo, lol.

Unrelated facts about me: I'm a crazy computer programmer (to the extent that sometimes I get bored with C and start writing things in assembly), I made one of the first Minecraft server mods (Runecraft), my avatar has been the same since I was 14 (and it shows, it's pretty terrible but I can't seem to part with it), and I'm also learning to play the piano but I'm not that good at it yet. I ordered a copy of the Dragon Quest VII on piano sheet music book and it should arrive in a few weeks, planning to either learn it or die trying!

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you guys! I'm probably going to hang around the dq7 3ds and learning japanese sections a lot, I'll probably make a thread in the dq7 3ds section at some point to talk about my attempts to translate and understand the game.

Random excerpts from my adventures so far on "esutado" island:

- a dog said "uuu wanwan!" to me and a cat said "nyan" obviously

- my father's name is apparently Volcano according to google translate

- said father apparently shouted "Tassels" at me because google doesn't understand onomatopoeic expressions

- maribel mariberu is really rude to me according to the japanese politeness guides I've seen so far

- the singing maid in the back of mariberu's house was one of the first dialogue prompts I was able to fully understand with hardly any googling

Edited by SuperLlama

Yeah, maybe I could edit the video so it doesn't take like 5 minutes to read each text screen XD

I just got to the part where maribel runs off in castle town, but I haven't actually saved yet (my 3ds is just always on and plugged in) and I'm planning on starting over again once I get to the point where I can understand the text a little better, maybe I'll take some videos then.

Edited by SuperLlama

Welcome to the Den.

So making movies on your DQ7 3DS Japanese copy run eh?  That sounds like a fun watch.

I have to agree with your sentiments on DQ7, the original.  Though I was 21 when I first played the game.  It is still my favourite, and over time it has only grown in estimation.

So you're a serious programmer, huh?  That'll actually fit in with a few other members.  Maybe you might be able to help with the efforts (assuming you don't think DQ7 3DS is coming, or whenever it does, would want a more formal translation) in the translation thread.  Who knows, a new head in the game might help with getting past obstacles that have so far been a major impasse on a fan translation, if that gets your goad.

Feel free to join in conversation at any time.

Edit: I really am sorry for the above.  Removed and fixed to something more normal and appropriate.

Edited by ignasia7

*first part of post ignored*~

So you're a serious programmer, huh?  That'll actually fit in with a few other members.  Maybe you might be able to help with the efforts (assuming you don't think DQ7 3DS is coming, or whenever it does, would want a more formal translation) in the translation thread.  Who knows, a new head in the game might help with getting past obstacles that have so far been a major impasse on a fan translation, if that gets your goad.

That would be pretty awesome, though I don't have the hardware to do any rom dumps or actual 3ds hacks aside from software ones like regionthree. That said if someone does have a rom already dumped I'd love to try and help decode it, maybe mess with Citra (that WIP 3ds emu that runs very very slowly) for a while and see if I can hack together something that modifies the text or something.

I'm not an extremely experienced hacker but I definitely know my way around code and I've done some reverse engineering on a couple PC games, though admittedly that was nothing compared to something like this. I've been programming since 2001 (I learned on vb6 then switched to C in 2008, I've now gotten to to the point where I'm writing self-modifying binaries by hand just to see if I can), but my hacking experience basically consists of two major projects-- first, I did some minecraft modding back in the day before bukkit and before there was any documentation at all-- I was actually the 2nd minecraft smp modder ever and didn't really get any help from the 1st. One of my mods is still in use today though I'm not the one actually working on it anymore. That involved a lot of Java decompiling and deobfuscating, but hey, Java is ridiculously insecure so that's not all that impressive.

Second project was taking the Morrowind Graphics Extender and forking it to support the Oculus Rift Devkit 1, which was mostly straightforward except for the part where I had to reverse engineer the game's rendering pipeline to find the view frustum... after ages of searching I eventually found it stored in memory as 6 normal/distance planes which I then had very little difficulty transforming based on headtracking and re-assigning them per frame. Finished product here (

). I never completely debugged it though because there wasn't a lot of interest in the project.

All that said, I'm pretty good with machine code, and I have gotten better since I made Morrowrift though I haven't done anything major with it since.

Edited by SuperLlama

Welcome to the Den

Oh hey I just found a guide that seems to allow dumping 3ds roms without any special hardware using the same hack I've been using to unlock the region :D maybe I'll get to do some romhacking afterall. And thanks for all the warm welcomes (and also for the two creepy ones)!

Edited by SuperLlama

Oh hey I just found a guide that seems to allow dumping 3ds roms without any special hardware using the same hack I've been using to unlock the region :D maybe I'll get to do some romhacking afterall. And thanks for all the warm welcomes (and also for the two creepy ones)!

Sorry about that.  I tend to go a bit overboard in my welcoming posts anyhow, but that was a bit over par.  Just a bit.  I really was pretty loopy last night though.

Well, a more formal welcome to the Den.

So after actually reading the fan translation thread I come to find that most of the hacking work has actually already been done for dq73ds, so I guess I won't really be able to help much there unless I get significantly better at japanese.

And don't worry about scaring me way, I had to survive facepunch for quite a while during my gmod modding days and it can be pretty crazy too :P