Sign in to follow this  
Erdrick The Hero

Best free antivirus?

Hey guys, I need recommendations for a free antivirus program that I can use until I have a new job and get my first paycheck there. As soon as I have an income, I plan on buying Kaspersky, but in the meantime I need *something* to protect my computer.

See, I just had to re-install Windows on my computer. I've always used Norton because I could get it for free (Comcast gives it away to their interet customers, and before they did that, I just got it from my stepmom who works at Symantec), but Norton is terrible. It slows down your computer, is extremely over-protective (I constantly had issues with it deleting my trusted programs, as well as about 30% of things I'd download, just because it didn't know what they were, and there was no way to turn off this "feature" without disabling the antivirus completely), and bits of the software stick around even after uninstalling it. Also, it didn't protect me from a virus, which is why I re-installed Windows this week. (I've been having other problems with Windows, too, but I've been putting off a re-install until I upgraded my HDD, RAM, and GPU.) So I'm done with Norton. But it could be WEEKS before I can buy Kaspersky, and I need something right away.

I need something that is reliable, doesn't use a ton of resources when idle, and something that is easily removed by the user (so that I don't have to worry about it interfering with Kaspersky when I get it).

Thank you.

P.S. I have installed Malwarebytes, but it's more of a cleanup tool than an active antivirus tool.

Using NoScript with Firefox goes a long way in keeping yourself safe while browsing the internet. The only downside is you have to specify what scripts you DO want to run because it prevents ALL of them, and sites don't display properly until you do that. Its worth it though.

I used AVGFree for a while too, seemed to work well enough.

I've had the worst luck with free anti-virus software so I can't help you. All I can do is validate your opinion that Norton is complete trash and tell you that Kaspersky is a good choice for when you have the cash. Never got a virus in the two years I used it.

• Upvote 2

Norton will protect, but it buries itself so deep, it's effectively a rootkit, and even their removal program does not remove it.  So basically you "infect" your system with Norton!  Yay!  Even McAfee is not so bold.  Even if you completely delete your HDD, reformat it, and rebuild it, Norton's rootkits often remain.  Yes, I'm serious.  They can still reappear in your registry, even though you haven't installed it in your fresh reformatted and reinstalled OS.  At least that's how it was from 2001~2005, and from what I understand, still is.

AVG for free anti-virus, is probably the best available, the least intrusive, the easiest to work with, and the smallest load on your ram/cpu.  Still, it's not so great when it comes to stuff like root-kits, but then that's very rare to encounter.  Kaspersky is solid.

I'd also consider a keylogger keyscrambler as well, most are unintrusive and just run in the background, but I haven't been using a Windows environment for some time, so I don't know.

If you want real security online, and anonymity, I'd suggest running a VPN as well.

Edit:  Holy...Proshall is watching this thread.  Haven't seen you in some time.  Glad to know you're still around.

Edited by ignasia7

I just use the Microsoft free one, I figure no one program is going to catch everything so why pay for them :)

Proshall posted twice today, Iggy.

I'd also consider a keylogger as well, most are unintrusive and just run in the background, but I haven't been using a Windows environment for some time, so I don't know.
I can't help but feel you meant a different word here? A keylogger? :whoa:

Oops, I meant keyscrambler.

LOL

I'd rather not have a keylogger, thank you very much.

I ended up going with Avast!. I can't help but think the program was developed specifically for software pirates though... I guess that would be good, though. Even though I don't pirate games (anymore), I emulate a lot. And emulation falls near that same shady realm of the internet, despite being legal if you do it right.

• Upvote 1

Dude. You're preaching to the choir. I'm the guy that's been getting after people for saying emulation is illegal.

It doesn't change the fact that many websites based around emulation are also "shady" sites.