Sign in to follow this  
King Zenith

Square Enix Trademarks "Holey Heroes" in Europe

Just found out via Aeana that Square Enix has just trademarked "Holey Heroes" in Europe.  Here is a link to corroborate.

This is the most Dragon Quest sounding trademark I have seen in a while and it makes a lot of sense with respect to the plot of Dragon Quest 7.  Warriors of Eden restoring the holes in the world map now becomes the pun-tacular Holey Heroes. 

This news has made me quite hopeful.

• Upvote 2

That is groan-tastic. ;) Now I actually like DQ puns but "Holey" for "Holy" jokes are so old it makes me groan. Then again, all the recent subtitles are pretty dumb so they can call it whatever they like if I can get DQ7 on my 3DS. :D

• Upvote 3

This plus Masters of the Masks definitely makes me feel like we're about to get VII and X soon. Gotta reserve my hype! Until anything gets fully confirmed regarding VII and X now.

That is groan-tastic. ;) Now I actually like DQ puns but "Holey" for "Holy" jokes are so old it makes me groan. Then again, all the recent subtitles are pretty dumb so they can call it whatever they like if I can get DQ7 on my 3DS. :D

That's exactly how I feel about it.  Call it whatever you like as long as we get it.  I guess we won't know for a while whether they have plans for 3DS or Mobile or both (assuming this trademark is even related). 

Alliteration? Check. Pun? Check. Dragon Quest fan base hype? Check. Half life 3 confirmed!

• Upvote 1

I'll keep my hype in check on this, but it'll be pretty cool if it turns out to be DQ related.

Wouldn't Holy Heroes be a bit sort for a subtitle

if it is DQ7 then we would be getting either mobile or  both mobile/3ds. 

Remember DQ6 should be coming out soon for Japan and US after that the only thing left would be 7.

Edited by sounderfan84

Remember DQ6 should be coming out soon for Japan and US after that the only thing left would be 7.

DQ6 has a title already.

Holey Heroes sounds... absurd, and DQ titles lack puns in them, but it would fit as a substitute for "Warriors of Eden", assuming a 3DS release, mentioning Eden might not be a good idea. If it's going to be mobile-only, and I feel it will, Warriors of Eden is fine and can work.

Sorry if i wasn't clear but we should know more in regards to the status of 7 pretty soon with DQ6 coming out in the coming moths.

If DQ7 is coming out west for 3ds then it is for mobile as well. 

Could "holey Heroes" be subtitle for DQ heroes?

Edited by sounderfan84

I don't think 'Holey Heroes' is a subtitle for Dragon Quest Heroes.

I mean... 'Dragon Quest Heroes: Holey Heroes.'

Don't think so, but could be.

Does it have a subtitle in Japan?

Don't forget - the word 'Holey' actually means 'full of holes.' It may be used more commonly in UK English, but over here, the word sounds a bit too goofy. It is a very low-use word, but yes, it could be seen as a pun. Still, they don't usually use the puns in the game's subtitle, and referring to the game's content as 'filling holes' is a bit of a misnomer. The 'Holy' part DEFINITELY fits, though.

It could also be that 'Holey' is simply being substituted for a game that is trying to downplay the religious connotations. DQ6 was the first DQ in a long time what was a full 'Teen' rating, yes? DQ7 will certainly want to stay at that level at the most, and removing overt religious connotations might be the objective with that subtitle.

Could also be 'Holey' as in "Holey Heroes, Batman!" "Holey Moley" etc.

Will be interesting to see if the name changes (ala Dragon Quest VI) when the trademark is filed stateside. If we see 'Holy Heroes' filed stateside any time soon, I think we're there!

Either way

HUGE FREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Edited by Omegaplex

DQ6 has a title already.

Holey Heroes sounds... absurd, and DQ titles lack puns in them, but it would fit as a substitute for "Warriors of Eden", assuming a 3DS release, mentioning Eden might not be a good idea. If it's going to be mobile-only, and I feel it will, Warriors of Eden is fine and can work.

Sorry if i wasn't clear but we should know more in regards to the status of 7 pretty soon with DQ6 coming out in the coming moths.

I don't see them releasing it at the same time though. The 3ds version will surely be more expensive. Releasing a cheaper (?) version on mobile might cannibalize sales.

Edited by DarkBaramos

Don't forget - the word 'Holey' actually means 'full of holes.' It may be used more commonly in Europe, but over here, the word sounds a bit too goofy.

Will be interesting to see if the name changes (ala Dragon Quest VI) when the trademark is filed stateside.

Either way

HUGE FREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Wouldn't be confusing to have two different subtitles for the same game? 

I don't see them releasing it and the same time though. The 3ds version will surely be more expensive. Releasing a cheaper (?) version on mobile might cannibalize sales.

True but not everyone would want to get it on mobile though.   Although it wouldn't make sense to do 3ds version then mobile.   As they would lose the momentum they have gained by releasing the 8 DQ games within a short time period of each other. 

I see mobile first then 3ds

Edited by sounderfan84

^ As long as they don't view mobile and 3DS as competing platforms, that's possible.

I just don't see them doing the full translation job ONLY for a mobile release. With all the petitions and vocal outcry for the 3DS version, to listen and then only do a mobile version is a bit... heartless.

I don't think the DQ7 mobile port will be along any time soon. Mid-late year at the soonest. They can't reuse assets or anything like they can with the Zenithia trilogy. I'd still be surprised to see DQ6 come out for mobile in Japan before, say, March or April. That's still only 4 months after DQ5's December release. That would put DQ6 mobile out here in about April at the earliest.

A hypothetical DQ7 3DS release would slot nicely into summer (which is also when DQ9 launched very successfully), following the DQ6 mobile release by a few months, and predating a late-year DQ7 mobile release.

Stash Dragon Quest Heroes into the fall slot somewhere, and we've got a potentially amazing year coming!

Edited by Omegaplex

Does anyone remember how much time passed between the registering of trademarks for "Seeds of Salvation" and "Luminaries of the Legendary Line" and the subsequent release of those games?  I don't have time to search it up now, but would be curious to know what the time-frame was in those cases.

Edited by King Zenith

^ As long as they don't view mobile and 3DS as competing platforms, that's possible.

I just don't see them doing the full translation job ONLY for a mobile release. With all the petitions and vocal outcry for the 3DS version, to listen and then only do a mobile version is a bit... heartless.

I don't think the DQ7 mobile port will be along any time soon. Mid-late year at the soonest. They can't reuse assets or anything like they can with the Zenithia trilogy. I'd still be surprised to see DQ6 come out for mobile in Japan before, say, March or April. That's still only 4 months after DQ5's December release. That would put DQ6 mobile out here in about April at the earliest.

A hypothetical DQ7 3DS release would slot nicely into summer (which is also when DQ9 launched very successfully), following the DQ6 mobile release by a few months, and predating a late-year DQ7 mobile release.

Stash Dragon Quest Heroes into the fall slot somewhere, and we've got a potentially amazing year coming!

Depends on how close they are in getting DQ7 out for mobile in Japan.  If its out in japan let say summer for example then its just a matter of getting the game translated. 

I don't like the "call it whatever you want, so long as we get it" mentality happening here! I don't want Dragon Quest VII: This is a Really Long Game with Lots of Text!

I'm more inclined to believe it's some goofy digging game on mobile or a 3DS download.

Does anyone remember how much time passed between the registering of trademarks for "Seeds of Salvation" and "Luminaries of the Legendary Line" and the subsequent release of those games?  I don't have time to search it up now, but would be curious to know what the time-frame was in those cases.

Feburary of 2014 when those were trademarked.

I saw this and almost screamed with joy. Let's hope it's DQVII

No one calls DQ9 Sentinels of the Starry Sky or DQ8 Journey of the Cursed King (which isn't even alliterative), so the subtitle doesn't matter.

Besides, the trend of obnoxiously long titles from Japanese companies gets really, really tired.

And I'd definitely see a mobile-only release---remember DQ1-3 were retranslated only for a mobile port. If they feel their games do better on mobile, why release it on 3DS and have to involve cart manufacturing, NoA, and other annoying middlemen?

yea wouldn't that just add to the cost if you have to include a middle gorup like NOA etc?

First off, Holey Moley! Nice of Europe to get something we won't (local Den pessimist here).

This plus Masters of the Masks definitely makes me feel like we're about to get VII and X soon. Gotta reserve my hype! Until anything gets fully confirmed regarding VII and X now.

Reserve your hype, not the games.

Alliteration? Check. Pun? Check. Dragon Quest fan base hype? Check. Half life 3 confirmed!

No. No. No. Tomb Raider. Duh.

if it is DQ7 then we would be getting either mobile or both mobile/3ds.

DQ6 has a title already.

Dragon Quest: Holy Heroes

Yep, that's exactly what I thought it'd be.

It will probably be Dragon Quest VII, but let's be cautious for now, since odds are the most likely version to come is the mobile one.

What I find funny is that the game is ONLY released in Europe just going off the trademark being for Europe as of now.  Man, the reaction to that would be something...

KZ-  Seeds and Luminaries would be the longest wait time for "tm" vs "release", but...

Both were trademarked on the same day.  I believe it was either November 19th or November 20th of 2013 (it was in mid-late November).

DQ2 was released October 7th, 2014.  That would be 10 months, 1 week, 5 or 6 days.

DQ3 was released December 3rd, 2014.  That would be 12 months 1 week, 5 or 6 days.

A patch-note to consider.  DQ6 had two separate names in Europe and the US.  So it is possible we might see two different subtitles.  The US tends to be more "religious" on the whole, or at least "spiritual" on the whole.  The EU tends to be more "agnostic" and "atheist".  So who knows.

Anyway, let the "games" begin.  :D

Edited by ignasia7

What I find funny is that the game is ONLY released in Europe just going off the trademark being for Europe as of now.  Man, the reaction to that would be something...

It would be very hard to do with google play to restrict it to only Europe.  itunes they can.