Sign in to follow this  
SlackerGuyS21

Monster Hunter

Monster-Hunter-4.jpg?eaa32f

So I've started getting into the Monster Hunter series with the recent MH4 demo and I was curious to see if anybody else here played the games.

If you are familiar with the series, what are your thoughts on the games?

For me it seems pretty neat and playing online is hella fun.

I got Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the Wii U but put it down after realizing I'd need a magnifying glass to actually see the text.

If you're interested in learning more about Monster Hunter, ProJared on YouTube is your man.

I was really into MH when Tri came out on the Wii. A friend of mine had got me interested in it, and it turned out to be a lot of fun. The two of us played it quite a bit back in 2010 and 2011. I had fun with the game and kept on learning new things every time I played.

When 3 Ultimate came out I picked it up and enjoyed it for a while, but I lost interest pretty quick. I forgot how much of a grind it was to get better armor and weapons, and I just didn't feel like going through all the hoops again just to stay caught up. Heck I just ended up sticking with Hunting Horns so I could support the rest of my party online and provide offense when necessary.

Long story short, MH is fun and challenging, but you do have to do a lot of killing, mining, etc to keep up with equipment and armor costs.

Got 3 Ultimate, played for a few hours, didn't touch it for a year. Fasy forward to about a month ago, and now I'm slowly getting into the series.

If you don't like to grind, you WILL NOT enjoy Monster Hunter. It's not about story, or the battle system, or the immersive world. It's about grinding and killing bigger and bigger monsters and getting nicer and nicer armor. It takes longer then a few hours to get really into it and if you like it, you'll love it, if you don't just put it down. They say 4 is the same as any other but with a more effective tutorial mode.

Personal experience story incoming:

I think the grinding killed it for me in 3 Ultimate because I pretty much playing the same game again. It's odd because grinding in a game like DQ, Etrian Odyssey, or Shin Megami Tensei doesn't bother me. But when it comes down to collecting specific materials is where I have to draw the line. I think it never bothered me in Tri because I was playing with friends, and we were good about helping one another. With 3 Ultimate, it wasn't the same experience, which is a shame cause I was hoping to get more involved in the game.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Just watched the first two videos in ProJared's beginner's guide series and yeah, I think I'll like the grinding and collecting aspects of this series. I keep hearing that the games are very grindy but I don't think that'll be a problem for me at all.

Can't wait for the game to release on the 13th.

I recently had gotten 3 Ultimate, and I like it so far! I am looking forward to Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate too!

I play them a lot. I prefer to play with friends rather than online though. I have been playing mh since monster hunter freedom unite for PSP. To be honest the Wii u and 3ds have better controller stability to me. My husband is a bigger fan of the series. My passion for DQ is like his for MH.

Got 3 Ultimate, played for a few hours, didn't touch it for a year. Fasy forward to about a month ago, and now I'm slowly getting into the series.

Yeah, that's about right. I've been playing MH since the PSP games. I first tried the demo, hated it. Picked a game up on sale, tried it... felt OK about it, but didn't play it much. Then one day I put some time into it and killed my first large monster and from that moment I was hooked.

Can't wait for MH4. Looks like Gamestop charged me for the Collector's Edition already...

b1FA6mH.gif

Just traded in Pokemon Y and AS (Good riddance to those shoddy games!) and got Monster Hunter 4.

Let the grinding begin.

Can honestly say I've never heard the word "shoddy" used to describe Gen VI Pokémon games.

Can honestly say I've never heard the word "shoddy" used to describe Gen VI Pokémon games.

I felt that the games were so blatantly rushed that they wiped away all interest I had left in this series. Tried so hard to hang on after XY for ORAS (Hoenn was my favorite region next to Sinnoh) and that seemed effortless and soulless to. GF made it clear this series was going to be just Nintendo's cawadooty and nothing more.

I mean, Jesus, they couldn't even optimize their engine for a 2+ year old console by XY's release.

Edited by SlackerGuyS21

I dunno about soulless, but I will admit that ORAS was a bit of a let down for me, but I still liked it. As for XY, the only thing that bugged me about XY was the short routes and lack of a post-game.

The short routes, the near-removal of caves, and the fact that you ran into your rivals in nearly every town in X and Y was so obnoxious to me. I also wasn't as interested in the villains.

Oh man, I looove Monster Hunter, though I had a pretty terrible first experience.  The first title I played was one of the early PSP games.  My goodness, the horrible camera controls ruined any potential fun I could have had in the game. I swiftly deleted the demo and soon forgot about the series. Fast forward a little bit and the release of Tri was imminent. Gamestop was giving away demo discs and -surprise, surprise- Monster Hunter was incredibly fun and addictive with decent controls!

I played Tri for about 100+ hours.and loved every* minute of it.

(*except for farming like 30 Rathians for 1 (one) Rathian plate for an armor set.)

I did briefly own 3 Ultimate but grew tired of it relatively quickly because I already tread most of the ground in Tri.  I probably would have played it more (and explored the added content) if it were possible to transfer my Wii character data to the Wii U version...

---

Okay, all that being said to get to Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate:

It is the primary reason I got the 'New' 3DS and I actually made an effort to get the Monster Hunter edition console. I'm enjoying 4 quite a bit although I've not found any of the monsters too challenging yet (to be fair, I'm only about 25 hours in). I think the game looks great, the 3D is nice, and I just love how the quest lady constantly refers to my character as "Doodle". lol

So yeah, 4 Ultimate is fun; you just gotta be okay with blowing hours of your life away.