Sign in to follow this  
Omegaplex

Anybody wanna take odds on the Western release of DQ6 Mobile?

I'd say I'm a Dependsist. Depending on the subject matter - whatever it may be - I can either be super positive/optimistic about it or negative/pessimistic about it.

...what do you mean there's no such thing as a Dependsist?

Well, I wouldn't say it doesn't exist. It kinda all depends.

I'm more of a Devil's Advocate.

I'm not sure the A there needs to be capitalized. Just playing grammar police.

One man's realist is another man's pessimist.

Not really. They're two entirely separate things. A realist sees things as they are. It can be good or bad. It's neutral.

A pessimist is always negative and thinks things are more likely to be bad then good. An optimist is the exact opposite of that, of course.

I'm the realist. We haven't received a DQ 3DS game. They haven't said we'll get DQVII. For real, it's not coming. For now, that's a fact.

It might change, and I hope it does, but I've been given no reason to hope, and plenty of circumstantial evidence that it's not coming.

No, I'm literally the Devil's Advocate. From that movie. You know, Devil's Advocate. With Al Pacino and his 30 minute long monologue at the end of the movie.

I'm more of a Devil's Advocate.

I'm not sure the A there needs to be capitalized. Just playing grammar police.

Not really. They're two entirely separate things. A realist sees things as they are. It can be good or bad. It's neutral.

A pessimist is always negative and thinks things are more likely to be bad then good. An optimist is the exact opposite of that, of course.

I'm the realist. We haven't received a DQ 3DS game. They haven't said we'll get DQVII. For real, it's not coming. For now, that's a fact.

It might change, and I hope it does, but I've been given no reason to hope, and plenty of circumstantial evidence that it's not coming.

No, I'm literally the Devil's Advocate. From that movie. You know, Devil's Advocate. With Al Pacino and his 30 minute long monologue at the end of the movie.

Charlize Theron & Connie Neilson had some decent nudity in that movie. Al had a part?

Where one man sees a half-empty glass, another sees a half-full glass.

And if there's beer in the half empty/full glass, then I need to empty that mofo.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Platty here; I do not think it's coming.

I'm sad I feel this way but a) it's been way too long and b) the 3DS is nearing its twilight years.  If it was still 2012 or 2013 I would be more hopeful but I don't see Square-Enix bothering with 3+ year old games come next year.  The DS games (outside DQ 9) didn't sell all that great on the original DS and the 3DS is far less popular than the DS was.  If SE wasn't happy with DQ sales on the most-popular handheld of all-time (the DS, which is also the second most-popular dedicated gaming device ever [after the PS2]) I don't see them putting much faith on a handheld that sold/is selling drastically under everyone's expectations and is barely keeping up with the PSP in life-to-date sales.

Ultimately I think DQ 7 is considered "too expensive to localize."  The only reason we got the recent mobile games is because they were dirt cheap and barely cost anything from SE's pockets.  Unless Nintendo steps in to make DQ 7 happen it's not going to happen and I think even Nintendo sees that it's not really worth their time.

I'm waiting for Iggy or somebody to come in and show the numbers again... the DS games sold really well from what I'm told. You just didn't hear much about them because of the lack of proper advertising.

• Upvote 1

I'm waiting for Iggy or somebody to come in and show the numbers again... the DS games sold really well from what I'm told. You just didn't hear much about them because of the lack of proper advertising.

DQ 4 did 260,000 and DQ 5 did 130,000 across all of North America and Europe as of March 31, 2009 according to Square-Enix.

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/news/20090525_01en.pdf

Their March 31, 2010 briefing didn't mention DQ 4 and 5 at all so they probably didn't sell much more than what was reported by the end of the 2009 fiscal year.

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/explanatory_20100518_02.pdf

Doesn't really seem like SE was all that happy with DQ 4 and 5's sales because they bailed on publishing DQ 6 for the same system.  Nintendo published DQ 6 in North America, Europe, and Australia whereas SE published DQ 4 and 5 in all those territories.  Chances could be that we never would have gotten DQ 6 if it wasn't for Nintendo and now we might not get DQ 7 if not for Nintendo.

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty

There have been several reprints of DQV since DQVI's release, and DQVI had been continuously reprinted, up to some unknown time, as with virtually all Nintendo productions.

It's very hard to say what numbers were by 2012, but DQV saw reprints as late as 2014, which would suggest the reprint runs from 2009 to 2012 were at least modestly successful:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=900314

Yeah but at the same time the original prints of DQ 5 and 6 were not as high as DQ 4's original run.  While DQ 5 and 6 received smaller reprints over the years it probably doesn't offset the fact that DQ 4 had a much larger initial print.  DQ 5 and 6 might have eventually cracked 200,000 or so but I doubt they cleared 300,000.  DQ 7 might simply cost too much/be too much trouble for sales of only 200,000-300,000 (give or take).

I mean I don't know.  I'm not an analyst and I don't work for the industry lol.  I'm just saying DQ 4-6 didn't set the world of fire and they were on the most popular handhelf of all-time.  If they only did 200,000-300,000 or so on the DS chances are SE and Nintendo likely know DQ 7 won't do much better (especially on a less popular handheld).  I do wish we would at least get DQ 7 on 3DS but my heart longs for DQ Monsters 1 and 2 more so than DQ 7.   :(

At least DQ 7 has a small chance of getting localized.  I don't think DQM 3D 1 or 2 will ever see the light of day outside Japan.

I won't say anything about DQ7 coming out or my beliefs on this, but I fully understand your fears.  One way to look at DQ7 though...while yes it is a remake as with the other Zenithian remakes, who were essentially culled/shut-out of sales for reasons we all know and understand, and were never able to capture a likely and potentially willing audience on a system that is the only one to essentially gave the PS2 a run for its money (and beat the snot out of the original Gameboy), it can be seen as a "new" game in two ways:

1) It's the only mainline DQ present on the 3DS.

2) The changes are so vast, and it is so uniquely different from its original version that it is closer to being a completely new Dragon Quest release than any remake before or since, even surpassing DQ3's remakes in overall new content creation, and gameplay alterations.

I know, it's not good to give hope if one cannot feel or see hope, and technically, hope is not scientifically valid, so it can be discounted on logical grounds.  I hope that helps though, especially in light of consideration to how Nintendo will see it, and in consider the sales of DQ9 and SE considers the sales of DQ8.  To tack onto this the realization that there are few traditional RPGs on the 3DS...it still is the highest selling and grossing current gen (most weeks, there have been a few with Vita, PS3, or PS4 outstripping it....and it certainly doesn't help that Amazon is plagued by scalpers, and literally 90+% of all the negative reviews only mention the scalpers as the reason for the low rating...no seriously, read the New 3DS reviews).

As for 5 and 6, you'd have to find a list of disclosed sales (I can't load their corporate site anymore, I keep crashing), and hope they give you total and Japanese, then work it back and figure out sales from 2009 to 20xx, whenever their last disclosure was of the DS games.  What really bothers me about official sources is, sure, some games do sell 90% in the first 2 weeks, but many, especially nowadays, sell a higher percentage over time, and VGchartz algorithms are either grossly too low or too high (more often high), and the times they actually do use real data, they never disclose it (they do use it for some portion on some games, like XBC's initial numbers 2 weeks prior, from Gamestop's preorder counts were accurate, but that's it, however that was a release by Gamestop, at a time when they were still taking preorders, and Nintendo was also taking them, though Nintendo never disclosed their numbers, and NPD doesn't track sales figures for single-retailer releases, so it's impossible to say, but the handling of XBC 3D and XBCX is quite revealing, especially with the switch to US actors for XBCX).

Sorry, got sidetracked, but I think my point carried across.

Nintendo published DQ 6 in North America, Europe, and Australia whereas SE published DQ 4 and 5 in all those territories. 

Wrong, Ubisoft brought them to Europe, not SE.

Edited by Awesomeinblue

Nintendo published DQ 6 in North America, Europe, and Australia whereas SE published DQ 4 and 5 in all those territories. 

I learn something new every day.

Eww, ubisoft?

Eww, ubisoft?

Don't you mean Ewbisoft?

Really?  Weird that Game FAQs lists Square-Enix for DQ 4 and 5 as the European publishers:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/942422-dragon-quest-iv-chapters-of-the-chosen/data

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/942423-dragon-quest-v-hand-of-the-heavenly-bride/data

If you search Square-Enix's DS games in Europe by publisher it also lists DQ 4 and 5:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/10815-square-enix?platform=108&year=0&region=3&devpub=2

If you do the same search but with Australia it lists Square-Enix as the publisher:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/10815-square-enix?platform=108&year=0&region=4&devpub=2

I wonder why Game FAQs isn't listing Ubisoft.

[edit] I Googled "Dragon Quest Ubisoft" and saw this:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/44628-ubisoft-brings-dragon-quest-iv-to-australia-new-zealand-this-september

It says Ubisoft was bringing DQ 4 to Australia and New Zealand.

BURN THE WITCH....Erm, LIAR!

It sounds like Ubisoft only released the DS games in New Zealand and Australia.  Across PAL territories they were released by Square-Enix.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2007/11/25/ubisoft-to-bring-square-enix-games-to-au

But I can't seem to find any Ubisoft logos on the game cases on Game FAQs lol.

That link said DQM Joker and FF Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates were going to be released by Ubisoft in AU/NZ but their boxes don't have the Ubisoft logo on them:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/925295-final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-ring-of-fates/images/box-96843

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/933956-dragon-quest-monsters-joker/images/box-

Maybe Ubisoft was supposed to publish them but the deals broke through so SE just released the early DS games themselves?

Um....don't burn the witch?

Seems like it Bob.  Wikipedia lists the game as S-E published only from 2007 onward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_IV:_Chapters_of_the_Chosen

Yeah, I can't find anything indicating Ubisoft listed as a publisher for DQ4.  It might even be something like Ubisoft distributed/printed copies in their own factories, but SE maintained the publishing rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_V:_Hand_of_the_Heavenly_Bride

I find the same thing for DQ5.

It's certainly not impossible that Ubisoft published those games in Europe. It's pretty common enough. American companies will only buy the rights to distribute in North America because, I mean, why would they get the rights to distribute something in a country they don't sell in. Funimation has the rights to the One Piece anime in North America but Madman Entertainment has the rights to it in Australia. Atlus published Game of Thrones, the 2012 video game, in North America, but Focus Home Interactive released it in Europe. That being said, I'm not certain Ubisoft had any involvement. 

All this talk about boxes gives me gas.

Chill. I was wrong, they didn't localize it (so yeah, SE published it), but they DID distribute it, at least in Spain and Portugal. Here's the proof:

DQ4:

95UmnWv.jpg

DQ5:

UekkaMr.jpg

In both cases, in the central part it clearly says "Distribuido en España por: UBISOFT ESPAÑA [su dirección]" (which translates to"Distributed in Spain by: UBISOFT SPAIN [their adress]")