Sign in to follow this  
aerynb

Party chat from 4 mobile to 4 DS

Is it bad that I'd like to see someone extract the party chat from the android/iOS version of DQ4 and hack it into DQ4ds? I guess they'd also have to make the Talk menu button work too.

I suppose after that, someone could de-accent the script and it could be inserted in DQ4ps. The games are essentially the same, I think.

• Upvote 1

I think that would be an awesome idea, and I also think it has got to be just a matter of time before someone does it. 

Actually, maybe we should talk to the guy who is working on this project and see if he could shoe-horn that in somehow.  I guess the biggest problem is that his script is the NES script which has no accents.  Switching to the accents for party chat would be incredibly jarring.  But maybe as a side-project he could do a separate patch adding party chat to the original DS.

I would think the easiest approach would be to start with the J-ROM and insert the U-script + U-party chat.  That way, you don't have to hack back in the ability to access the Talk menu, since the Japanese version had it.

Anyway, great idea and I hope to see it come to fruition some day.

Oooo. I did some minor searching around but didn't see that thread. Very cool idea!

I don't know the in's and out's of hacking so I don't know what's feasible and what's beyond the realm of possibility. I just thought I'd put the suggestion out there. Though, now that I think about it, if I've got party chat on my mobile game, why do I need it on my DS? Maybe my endgame wish is that I want to play hacks on my DS or WiiU or something. Emulating on my laptop probably wouldn't be more fun than playing on my phone.... unless the DS emulator could do savestates anywhere. I kinda hate that I can't do quicksaves on my phone in towns. :(

If you want to do DS emulation, you'll need a powerful computer. My computer was built for gaming (supposedly) and it barely runs DQ6 at full speed - and that's with frameskip turned all the way up to 9+auto (auto means it won't skip that many frames if it can handle full speed without doing so. Which makes the frame rate inconsistent, but it's better than constantly being super-choppy.) I haven't tried DQ4 on my emulator yet, but the two games run in the same engine and have similar graphical quality, so I imagine the performance would be similar.

Unless you would like to use Tinke, go into the a Japanese ROM, change the bytes for the language, and edit the script word for word, there is no way to simply extract the party scripts from the mobile version and insert the files into a DS ROM. You'll also have to deal with the files sizes with in the ROM as inserting/editing bigger files has a chance of crashing the ROM.

Consider these things:

A) Japanese characters are 2-3 bytes (depending on the format) while the English alphabet is 1 byte per letter. That nearly doubles or triples the space available for an English script.

B) From what I've seen, recent DQ games use nul-terminated strings, which means that as soon as the text parser sees an empty byte, it stops displaying data as text. Coincidentally (or not) each string is usually followed by a TON of these nul characters, when only one is needed. This means you can get rid of a bunch of them and replace them with more text. File size shouldn't be a problem if this is how the DS games are handled (and I believe they are, though I haven't checked for myself yet).

C) Though the file types may not be the same, the text in DQ4 mobile may not be compressed/encrypted, which would mean the text could be copy-pasted. You'd just need to know which lines corresponded with each other.

The complicated part would be changing pointers if needed.

When I was talking about bytes, I meant how some ROMs may use certain bytes that act as a switch for languages (the characters may already be in the game but it could be challenging if you're not familiar with certain tools or file structures), not exactly the alphabets and characters themselves. I haven't really compared the Japanese and English scripts themselves, but I was saying that it could be a problem if some files ended up being bigger. There's also the fact that the DQ is not widely looked at in the hacking community (or DS at least), so knowledge of this kind of stuff is extremely small compared to what's out there for other games.

Edited by SlackerGuyS21

I think the knowledge is out there.  The motivation might be lacking though.  DQTranslations had a fully functional english patch for DQ6DS before we even had an announcement of the game's official release date.  I don't expect they would be interested in tackling this.  It would be great if they did, though!

Hacking the text on the DS for the most part is pretty easy. Rearranging pointers and whatnot is pretty easy too. DQMJ2 uses a proprietary compression algorithm, which is where things got complicated. Of course, not compressing the text may be an option since some of the text in DQMJ2Pro wasn't compressed. I would imagine DQIV would use a similar setup.

If you want to do DS emulation, you'll need a powerful computer. My computer was built for gaming (supposedly) and it barely runs DQ6 at full speed - and that's with frameskip turned all the way up to 9+auto (auto means it won't skip that many frames if it can handle full speed without doing so. Which makes the frame rate inconsistent, but it's better than constantly being super-choppy.) I haven't tried DQ4 on my emulator yet, but the two games run in the same engine and have similar graphical quality, so I imagine the performance would be similar.

That's not so much an issue with your computer's specs as it is the utter imperfection of DS emulation. Playing around with settings on my emulator allowed me to make towns & dungeons run smooth or the world map run smooth, but never could I get both to run smooth at the same time without furthering having to adjust settings each time I moved from one to the other. In the long run, it's worth the cost of just getting a flash cart for DS romhacks, particularly dq4-6.

I have a flashcart... That's how I dumped the games in the first place. (I can't get DQV to dump though, it just spits out an error.)

I have a flashcart... That's how I dumped the games in the first place. (I can't get DQV to dump though, it just spits out an error.)

Really?  I dumped my copy fine.  It takes a while though.  I'm assuming you're dumping it to an FTP server over the network?

Yes. I can't use the Rudolph dumping tool though, I have to use an older tool that supposedly isn't as good. The Rudolph tool is blocked on "M3 DS Real" flashcarts. I've read that there's an IPS patch for the tool that un-blocks it, but after a long google search I couldn't find the patch anywhere.

Yes. I can't use the Rudolph dumping tool though, I have to use an older tool that supposedly isn't as good. The Rudolph tool is blocked on "M3 DS Real" flashcarts. I've read that there's an IPS patch for the tool that un-blocks it, but after a long google search I couldn't find the patch anywhere.

I used NDS Backup Tool Wifi on my Acekard and it worked fine.  Not sure if that'll work with your flash cart.

That's what I used, but it failed with an invalid address error our something when attempting to dump DQV.

That's not so much an issue with your computer's specs as it is the utter imperfection of DS emulation. Playing around with settings on my emulator allowed me to make towns & dungeons run smooth or the world map run smooth, but never could I get both to run smooth at the same time without furthering having to adjust settings each time I moved from one to the other. In the long run, it's worth the cost of just getting a flash cart for DS romhacks, particularly dq4-6.

Hmmm - when was this machine built?

A previous-generation (or previous-previous generation) i7 with a cheap-o graphic card (integrated Intel) was able to emulate DQIX basically smoothly - and in fact, I had it skip frames to make gameplay faster than it should be. IV-VI should play even better. If I recall I could also do DQV PSII just fine.

But yeah, if you don't have an i-anything (no Core-anythings need apply) don't even bother.

Hmmm - when was this machine built?

A previous-generation (or previous-previous generation) i7 with a cheap-o graphic card (integrated Intel) was able to emulate DQIX basically smoothly - and in fact, I had it skip frames to make gameplay faster than it should be. IV-VI should play even better. If I recall I could also do DQV PSII just fine.

But yeah, if you don't have an i-anything (no Core-anythings need apply) don't even bother.

DQIX doesn't have any major emulation issues aside from AP. There's something about the engine in IV-VI that causes the aforementioned issues though. Just because something make look like a technologically inferior game doesn't mean it will run better than one that looks superior, nor does it mean that it's not something in the coding that causes emulation issues no present in physical hardware and vice versa.

My computer was built in 2012. It's got a dual core i3 processor at 3.30GHz (multithreaded - 4 virtual cores), and my GPU is an nVidia GeForce 640GT. I've got 8GB RAM.

Unfortunately I can't really do anything about that until I build a brand new computer, and that's a ways off. I can't even afford to buy the parts I'd like to upgrade on this one.

Hi there, first timer here.

I found this forum while googling during a certain rom hacking work I was doing, namely restoring English party chat in DQ4 using the data from the English iOS ports ("ports" being the really important key word here). It seems there's quite a bit of interest here which could definitely get things started.

Some screens:

d91O99E.png0E2PIZy.png

J0wjNKa.pngKkinxmw.png

I'm also working on translating the Japan-only Ni no Kuni DS, which shares the DQ9 engine (later improved to become Youkai Watch), and we have had a drought of available translators so I just tried doing something else in the meanwhile.

What inspired me was some obscure published patches that inserted the (accurate!) Secret of Mana French iOS retranslation in the SNES version (with uncensoring graphics as a bonus), and the Spanish Chrono Trigger iOS translation in the DS version. I hate iOS devices with a passion.

I'm looking in finding some way to explot Tales of Phantasia Full Voice Ed. iOS and Idolmasters iOS English script in their PSP versions, and maybe (even if I hate that translation) the DQ3 iOS English translation into the SNES version.

Concerning Dragon Quest 4 in order to not be too off-topic:

* I'm not the one in charge of DQ4 Classic

* Surprisingly enough, the iOS version message files use the same format as the DS version, with some formatting issues, and control codes not showing up as they should (fortunately, the file itself can be easily modified, uncompressed, in the UTF-8 encoding)

* JP DS version with Japanese language option (other language options are dummied but on the cartridge, but still disable that feature) is the only way to get party chat - only one where B button works, Talk option works (doesn't, even in localized DS version with JP enabled with cheats even with the files there), and JP language is the only one which still has the actual party chat files (which are almost as big as the actual text)

* JP DS version accepts the English/PAL message files and show them just fine in-game ... which is what I did. A big formatting effort, and replacing EVERY other japanese script with the English variant, have yet to be done.

* Sadly no party chat for languages other than English and Japanese was ever translated, iOS version being English-only.

I still have yet to play through the entire thing, but it irked me so much I did it on my own anyways. I also hate the font, but I'm afraid changing to something slightly bigger (even if it's fully possible!) it will require a big text formatting effort.

Edited by GHANMI
  • Upvote 1

Wow, great first post! Thanks for coming by and letting us know about your work.  I am very impressed with what you've done.  Do you have a project page that you can link to?  It would be great if we can keep tabs on your progress.

Would this be possible to IPS patch to the US ROM, or would the patch just contain most of the actual game data?

Also, welcome to the Den!

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I'll post just here in case I got something meaningful, but I'll need your help (I got the English binary off Google Apps but have no intention of actually playing through that version when I have already got the DS one started).

Would this be possible to IPS patch to the US ROM, or would the patch just contain most of the actual game data?

Also, welcome to the Den!

Sadly, while it is technically feasible to try and re-enable the (B Button/Talk/nonexistent message files references) functionality for party chat in the US/PAL versions, it would be much more involved than what I ever could devote time for, or even be able to (I'm struggling as it is to learn snes assembly, let alone (3)ds/gba arm, required for this route). Compared to this much easier route of file-swapping and light hex editing to repair the formatting.

So, the patch would likely contain:

1/ the various English regular assets and text files, lifted from the DS US version (hope it's straightforward enough - I'm playing it with all in-battle text in Japanese but I doubt that would be okay for other people)

- and while the JP DS version has cheat codes that can force English, the alpha translation is laughable (and still somehow with accents) and some files besides party chat ones are outright missing so there's no telling what could happen. Using the native en script from the JP DS version is out

2/ the party chat files from the English iOS release. replacing those from the JP DS version under the jp folder.

3/ base ROM will be the JP DS version. (I shudder at the thought of the naming screen in Japanese - can be circumvented with that one ARDS code changing the language on the fly but... not ideal?)

I'm sorry for any people inconvenienced with having to redo their progress, but I'm in the same boat.

Silly question: does the PS1 version include party chat?

With that out of the way, I'll probably release a basic file-swap patch.

Formatting for the already translated one will be ok since I'll use the DS US script for those (unless the iOS English translation changed some stuff in the main text that's worth keeping in? Let me know)

Formatting for the party chat text will be not okay - since it would be justified for the iOS font. 

Meaning, I'll need as much people as possible trying that patch for the party chat and sharing their frustrations with us, and ones telling how certain scripts showing up weirdly in the DS version show up normally in the iOS version.

Oh, almost forgot --

Why hasn't anyone here got a Dragon Quest 7 3DS translation already? The message files are stored as txt files editable with Notepad. It's very rare to find a game with such an easy to modify text. 

Rom de-encrytion and re-encryption is already covered elsewhere and the first English 3DS translation, Beyond the Labyrinth (some undubs already were released) is almost released.

Edited by GHANMI

Wait wait wait... Hold up. You're telling me, that the DQ7 3DS script is in PLAIN TEXT?!?!?!?! "Why hasn't anyone here got a Dragon Quest 7 3DS translation already?" IS A GOOD DAMN QUESTION.

Sign in to follow this