So I did some checking into Masters of the Masks...

...I'm praying this isn't true, because it breaks conventions, confuses the poo out of things, but see for yourselves:

http://support.na.square-enix.com/contacttop.php?id=20

If I'm reading this right, then it's a registered, but as yet unreleased expansion to FF11.  If this is true, that means alliterative title registries are no longer explicitly Dragon Quest.  This means I can now freely hate on Square Enix.  We'll just have to see if this is really true or not, however, that they've buried this, and it is not directly accessible doesn't inherently mean anything as of yet.

However, if true, it means that no Dragon Quest fan in the US can assume alliterative title implies Dragon Quest, so we can't do anymore happy dances if we see one registered :/.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Give me a minute...   Hiding the name within FF11 is suggestive.  Alliteration is suggestive.   DOES BLOODY SQUARE BLOODY F*#%*#)%)*#*%)#%*)#%*) ENIX HAVE NO SENSE OF HONOUR?  IS LITERALLY NOTHING

As far as I'm concerned, Atlus has been the "King of RPGs" for a long while now despite their sudden love of DLC in their games and the overabundance of Persona 3 and 4 **** as of late.  They continue

Premium mobile titles should exist, and we need more of them.   Just because it can be played on a cell phone doesn't mean $#!&.

Thought they closed FF11.

Thought they closed FF11.

Oh heck no.  FF11 may have been reduced in number, as the vast majority of its once 2million concurrent players (back in 2012...sad that they're only at just under 1 million now, 3 years later) left and a good portion went to FF14, others scattering to who knows where (FTP games?  WoW?  idk), but it is still going strong, and in 2013 opened its doors to steam.

Their last expansion pack was in 2012, but recently they started an 12th anniversary expansion:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/05/15/square-enix-celebrates-12-years-of-final-fantasy-xi/85235/

Sure it's back in May of last year, but most of that content adds quite a bit to the game.  So it's actually unlikely for them to release a new expansion just yet, however they need fresh new blood, and nothing brings in players like new content.  Not to mention SE hasn't destroyed inactive accounts since 2006 or 7, so that's enticing for older players to consider coming back and renewing their numbers.  It's also easier to bring in old players with large content boosts, especially expansions.

However, the recent promotion edges my fears a bit over to the "no", and my thoughts that this is a place-holder, as there is no way to access the contact support page for Masters of the Masks directly.  Nor has SE ever created a specific report page for a specific expansion.  It's always an all-in-one FF11 support page.  This leads me to think it may just be a placeholder for another game, probably one related to, even if only because it's an online game.  The hardest thing about SE's pages is I can't find anything in the metadata to indicate when the page was first created, nor in the source code, but I haven't deeply scanned the source.

I can't believe people were still expecting Americanized DQ.

Don't worry guys, with the announcement of the New 3DS, Japanese XLs will assuredly become cheaper than I bought mine for.

Ahem: DQ on mobile.  Granted it's mobile, but so far we've seen every release.

Also yep, but I'm unsure where the N3DS bit falls into play in this conversation, though it would be nice if Nintendo was willing to reduce the price sooner rather than later, especially in light of the backlash from their "only XL" blunder, just to save some face.

Edited by ignasia7

I can't believe people were still expecting Americanized DQ.

Don't worry guys, with the announcement of the New 3DS, Japanese XLs will assuredly become cheaper than I bought mine for.

Ahem: DQ on mobile. Granted it's mobile, but so far we've seen every release.

Also yep, but I'm unsure where the N3DS bit falls into play in this conversation, though it would be nice if Nintendo was willing to reduce the price sooner rather than later, especially in light of the backlash from their "only XL" blunder, just to save some face.

We didn't get DQM Super Light. Nor any of the DQX tie-in stuff, but that's understandable considering we don't have DQX (yet?).

Not only is FF 11 still going strong, it's most recent expansion, which came out in 2013, was one of the few recent things to be released for PS2 in the last year or so. Although technically it's Japan only.

Here's another bit of interesting...

The email link in the SE contact support page, which is unavailable to access through the main site, leads to a Swedish, maybe Norwegian? videogame company.

The gaming news also failed to note the US patent office filing, which is also on the same date as the EU filing:

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4803:lx9z17.2.24

What's also intriguing is there's no potential way these guys are currently embroiled in any major project for SE, at least that I can see.  They've only 5 members.  Yep, 5.  They're also busy at work on another project, and in the 3 1/2 years they've existed, they've only managed to put out 2 games and then there's their current project.  So if they are working on this, and the FF11 page is recent (damn SE for not keeping data on initial creation of the page), then this is something upcoming way into the future, or this is one team that is just helping work on it...dunno, but their size is just so puny to handle concurrent projects.

This is the company:

http://lastmoongames.blogspot.com/

Anyone want to try their email address and ask if this is a current thing, and if it is for FF11?:

motm-support@lastmoongames.com

The secondary language chosen for the EU filing is Italian as well.  No German, Dutch, Spanish, or French as other alternatives.  All a bit curious.

Just do a search for the applicant Square Enix (couldn't find it just looking for the subject as Masters of the Masks (probably why no one else picked it up until now), and scroll down until you find it on the first page.  Sadly it's not sorted by when, it's sorted only by number, and no other way to sort through that system.

Also won't show up checking through any other US search system for patents and trademarks.  Not sure why, but it does exist, I just can't find it using any other search method through the US trademark office but that one.

Pshh, figures it'd be something Final Fantasy related, but FF11? SE should just kill those servers and release an offline version of the game.

That doesn't inherently mean it's FF related.  It's one reason I pointed out so many other factors...like the key element that this is not linked to from the main site at all, it's a hidden page that cannot be gotten to unless you either google it, you looked at the page code and found the link (would take awhile), or you stumbled upon it by accident by typing in various page codes into the address bar, and got lucky.  I point this factor out because it's important: no FF11 major patch/update nor any expansion pack has ever had, to my knowledge, while I played the game, ever had its own independent contact page. 

That's the point of why I'm asking for any insights and why I'm spending so much time pointing out little things.  It could just be a placeholder for things.  Plus I made clear mention there's an extremely small possibility this group could actually be working on this as a feature of FF11.  They are far too small at only 5 people, and only TWO of them are actual programmers, there's no corresponding request for help in any hiring forum and site I can find, that is general or programming related either.  Nor is there any mention of a "masters of the masks" on their site.  As a final note, this company is also deep into their current project, and given they've been around for 4 years now, and have only 3 games produced, with a 4th on the way?  I have to question what else is going on here, because it isn't logical.

That's why I asked if someone could email them.  I can't access my email accounts until I can gain access to someone's computer who can.  So it's not like an easy 1..2..3 for me as it used to be.  Long story, I lost all my computers, I can't afford a new one, I'm using a junker that can't run any email server.  So could someone check, so this isn't just speculation?

Here, I'll repeat that portion of my post for the sake of brevity:

Anyone want to try their email address and ask if this is a current thing, and if it is for FF11?:

Edited by ignasia7

I have to question what else is going on here, because it isn't logical.

If things were logical, it wouldn't be Square Enix.

• Upvote 1

Pshh, figures it'd be something Final Fantasy related, but FF11? SE should just kill those servers and release an offline version of the game.

It still makes them money, and has made them a lot of money in the past so that wouldn't make a lotta sense.

Every time (at least recently) that SE has trademarked an alliterative phrase, it turned out to be the subtitle for the western release of a Dragon Quest game. It's what gives us hope, pretty much.

Every time (at least recently) that SE has trademarked an alliterative phrase, it turned out to be the subtitle for the western release of a Dragon Quest game. It's what gives us hope, pretty much.

I don't see there being any new trademark of an alliterative phrase/subtitle until DQ XI

Wait, I haven't been here a while, anyone care to explain what's going on here? All I'm getting is that Square Enix trademarked a name for Europe and North America.

Ok, you know how we've all been wondering what the story will end up being with DQX and DQVII, right?  You know how, ever since SE started up, the only trademarked "alliterative" names have been Dragon Quest main titles.  No non-DQ games, no DQ side games.  Only mainline Dragon Quest has gotten alliterative titles.

So the press found the trademark "Masters of the Masks" as you know, in the EU trademark lists (no one actually found it in the press for the US, but I did).  However the US trademark was very hard to find (why the press did not).  It's not found under a standard search, which is bloody annoying, whereas the EU trademark is.

Due to this oddity of the subtitle being difficult to find, and that both the EU and US trademarks were filed on the same day, October 15 of 2014, a month after Dragon Quest III's release, I thought I would do some extra checking.  I found the link to Masters of the Mask as being a hidden page under Final Fantasy 11's contact page, with a link to request inquiries on the title.  Now, there are a few issues here:

1) it's hidden and inaccessible directly from SE's support site.

2) the company used/linked to off that support page is far too small to produce anything for FF11, nor is their experience in anything beyond mobile games.

3) there is nothing I can find related to the company linked to and any job requests regarding a large project.

4) there are no major patches or expansions of FF11 that have their own support page that I can find, nor do I ever recall there being over the course of time I played.

5) there are no alliterative titles for anything related to Final Fantasy subtitles.

6) there are no time stamps on the page indicating when the page was made, only the last update.

7) the actual email address listed for the very small mobile gaming company is not listed on their site, but I cannot use any email service consistently (don't ask, I'm not going to get into a long explanation on it).  So in part I wanted to know if anyone would check into it, send in an email and find out what the deal is with Masters of the Masks.

8) FF11 just went through a major celebration, overhaul, and had a ton of new content added.

That it's buried/hidden and DQ mainline titles have been the ONLY games using alliteration in titles, and due to the direct links used in FF11 and FF14 with special quests that are DQX related, and because DQX and Masters of the Masks would work as a subtitle for the first section/main game...and due to the other points listed above, I'm thinking this may be a place holder designed to lead people astray until they're ready to release real info on what Masters of the Masks is.  However I'm only thinking this is true, and it would make more sense to bury it in FF11 than FF14, if it was for something other than FF11.

Still, there's always the question of the email, and to clear things up, inquiring as to what Masters of the Masks is.  What game series it is for, and any other potential information regarding and surrounding it.  Is it a Final Fantasy game?  If that question cannot be straight up answered, it would be absolutely indicative of a non-FF game.

So if anyone would oblige my curiosity, or I'll try to make some time to spend on a computer I can access my email accounts:

I know that's a possibility. What we are saying is that It's also a possibility that it - and it very likely - is related to Dragon Quest. Besides the subtitle not being related in any way to DQ7 (but possibly having to do with X - unfortunately we don't know enough about X to be sure), it also makes sense that (if it's a DQ game) that it would be X considering that the placeholder is held under FF11, another Square Enix MMORPG.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero