Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

Matt's Rants - The switch of DQ to mobile & mobile gaming in g

As you all know, I'm all for mobile releases of DQ. Mobile platfoms are the highest-represented system at present, so it's quite a good fit, really.

But it also isn't.

I'm going to start with something simple. DQ8, the first release on mobile platforms. It runs quite well on a lot of hardware choices, but we're stuck with a portrait view. There's no controller support for a PS2 PORT OF A CAMERA-HEAVY GAME. Did I mention portrait-only? I have big hands, but I can't hold a big-ass tablet with one hand. I'm not going into what we didn't get, as we got a port of the JP version, which lacked voice acting and such.

It's obvious it's a cash-grab. A little bit of preening and bam! Mobile port. Hell, some of the titles don't even work on some devices on Android, and it's pretty hard to play them on modded devices sometimes.

While it -is- good folk are getting the opportunity to play DQ when they never had the chance before, it's horrible that they're limiting the ports so drastically. Cloud saving? Should be there, amirite? Controller support? I have a 10-inch tablet. I'd like to pop a stand on and use a controller. 

I'm hoping the re-releases will get better with time (( DQV DQV DQV DQV )), and mobile will likely be where we get DQ7 from... so...

It doesn't mean, however, that it is the best thing for everyone. If SE can spend the money porting DQ to a platform-crossing code like Unity, it also means that PSN, XBL, and eShop can also see these re-releases. And hell, Steam too for those of us that don't own a proper console (at the moment.).

So... part 2.

Mobile gaming is rising. We're getting gems like Mickey Mouse's Castle of Illusion (( God that port is good, I got it but I'm no good at platformers anymore )), Hitman GO, and the ports of classic games like Baldur's Gate and such. At the same time? We're getting cash grabs like any of King's titles to EA's shitty Dungeon Keeper.

IAP is doing a combination of ruining mobile (( And console )) gaming. Free games are great and all (( I just started playing Crusader's Quest, good game. )) but it's a... cluster$#!&, really.

Rant ovar.

I agree that Mobile gaming is rising and since everyone already has a mobile device of some sort it really make sense to take advantage of it  (contary to what some people think that mobile shouldn't be considered a gaming device ).  personally i like the portrait as i can easily one hand it on my android.  I agree with with the controls since i got my galaxy s3 with OTG support i would like to use my controller for DQ.

The problem I have with most Android, Ios, Windows phone devices is that they are easily more susceptible to getting malware unlike the 3ds/2ds, Wii U, PS3/4 Xbox 360/One sure those systems could get malware but it is a lot harder to do. Some phones and tablets lack the power to handle multitasking all that well.

The problem I have with most Android, Ios, Windows phone devices is that they are easily more susceptible to getting malware unlike the 3ds/2ds, Wii U, PS3/4 Xbox 360/One sure those systems could get malware but it is a lot harder to do. Some phones and tablets lack the power to handle multitasking all that well.

A proper anti-virus/malware app would take care of that. 

Mobile isn't quite the shining future people think it is. The hardware is limited, for one. And the only reason there are so many mobile devices out there for gaming is because, well, they're phones. Everyone needs a phone. Touch screen smart phones are certainly the future of calling people, but in the end, their basic function is to operate as a phone.

There's always a potential gamer with each phone, but it's a phone. Gaming is a secondary usage and to hang the hopes of the future of the industry on a piece of hardware's secondary option isn't a wise one. People were mad when Microsoft treated gaming as secondary to the "whole experience" that came to be known as the Xbox One, now more commonly called the Xbone.

Not only does mobile encompass the worst part of the Xbone, it also encompasses one of the worst parts about the Wii, which toward the end of its life, became a dumping ground for cheap shovelware. That's really all the mobile marketplace is. For every Infinity Blade there's a million Candy Puzzle Slot Fishing Arcade games. I guess that's how it also encompasses the worst aspect of Steam: no quality control. Apple only makes sure there's no potentially offensive material then let's it through, which I guess isn't even a courtesy performed for Android phones.

The Banner Saga devs had it right when they said App Store pricing warps people's ideas of how much they should spend on a n app. They're unwilling to put forth $4.99 for a solid port of a good game because they're used to Free or $0.99 games that are more time wasters then anything to sink their teeth into when, throughout the day, they're likely to spend $2.99 on coffee at Dunkin Donuts or $20 for their lunch. Illegal pirating of new games is a cancer on Android phones that scares developers away from porting their games over to that marketplace. Because they'll lose more then they'll make, or any profit they're likely to earn won't be worth the effort.

Mobile is no more the future of gaming then the Xbone and it's "whole experience," the Wii and it's motion controls, and Steam and it's marketplace. It's just another way for someone to experience games. Actually no. It's a way for someone to talk on the phone with their girlfriend. And when they get off the phone, it's a way for them to play Flappy Bird while they're on the train heading home.

• Upvote 1

As usual, vote with your wallet. Don't like mobile games? Don't buy them. Don't like a specific game? Review it on the app stores!

• Upvote 2

I'm okay with them experimenting with mobile releases to see if that increases their profit margin.  I'm enjoying playing through the Loto/Erdrick trilogy on my older Android phone.  I hate that they've skirted over some of the juicier Japanese releases of the past few years, like the Monsters remakes and DQVII for 3DS.  However, I'm learning to live with it.

I'd like to see the original Monsters releases re-released on mobile.

But I dunno about the 3DS ports. I don't like how punny the series is getting.

Insultale? Rly? Not Insulate?

Wow. It's really not insulate? I never noticed.

Yep.

Yep.

As you can see... 

And http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Insulatle

It's Insulate! Insulation! GOD THE PUNS THEY MAKE MY NECK BREAK

post-5414-0-97306500-1423457536_thumb.png

Edited by Mattcraft

I... did not mind that. 

They made that fit pretty well, IMO. Jack of AllTrades, but Master of Nu'un? That made me chuckle, honestly.

Some of the puns or funny spellnames don't bother me too much. Crack and Crackle are OK. But Sizz just makes me think of bacon. And "Kazapple"?

I thought "What is that, an energy drink?". 

Then we got Gigagash and such and it was better. 

I think I'm one of the only people on Earth who likes Jack of Alltrades and Master of Nu'un.

I think I'm one of the only people on Earth who likes Jack of Alltrades and Master of Nu'un.

Count me in.

Wait on the whole insulatle thing. The spell is supposed to insulate us against hot and cold, yet covers the whole party (thus the - le suffix). I guess insulatle is better than insulatele even though I now no longer know how to pronounce it.

I must be in some weird minority that rarely uses a smart phone for real phone calls.  It's pretty much for texting and games for me.  I love the mobile ports because I don't need to carry two devices around when I want to play a game, just one.

As you can see... 

And http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Insulatle

It's Insulate! Insulation! GOD THE PUNS THEY MAKE MY NECK BREAK

Yeah, as Platty was mentioning, this spell naming is completely consistent with other spells in the series where adding 'le' to the end makes it apply to more than a single user.  Insulate IS a spell used in the series when casting on a single party member. 

DQ9 is an example of a game that has both insulate and insulatle:

insulate.png

Also, I like mobile gaming.  DQ on mobile makes me happy.  I don't care if new games come out on 3DS or mobile or something else, I will get them no matter what.  If I am being honest though, I would prefer mobile for the reasons Cain mentioned.

I thought it was Insulatle.

Though I do like Jake from Statefa- er, Jack of Alltrades Master of Nu'un, I don't think it's a suitable replacement for Dharma Temple. It should have been used for a new IP or something.

I'm in the market for a good Android gaming tablet at some point this year, though it's hard to find good gaming tablets. Sometimes things that are more expensive have a smaller screen and are far weaker in specs, which I don't get it. Why are newer models sometimes weaker and smaller?

I have an Xperia Tablet Z and it pretty good.  The newer Z2 is out now which is even better.  If you want a real gaming tablet though, look into the Nvidia Shield.

EDIT:  Sounds like there's a new version of the shield coming out this summer.

Edited by Cain

It's supposed to use their new Tegra X1 processor.  I'm sure the rest of the hardware will be upgraded as well.

If you want to spend money on one, a Tab S or a Shield Tablet would be best.

Sign in to follow this