Sign in to follow this  
jamiras843

DQ3 oddness

So I have a few odd things to ask on the mobile port.

1. Is the games difficulty higher than the GBC version? I seem to become dead quite often.

2. Did they nerf the hero 's MP? I'm at level 15 and only have 18 MP which is quite ridiculous considering my thief has over 80 and that's with a hero with a paragon personality.

3. Speaking of thief. My thief has the highest def with a whopping 102 while everyone with better equipment has only defenses in the 60's. She is a princess type. What the heck happened there?

4. How come zoom resets the day/night cycle ? Did that happen in the SNES version? I don't think it did in the GBC version...

I can answer 3 and 4 for ya.

3) The high defense is probably due to your thief's agility. In DQ3, half of your agility adds to your base defense.

4) Zoom/Return always reset the day/night cycle in DQ3, even back during the NES days. Mainly, always set it back to day. I can't speak for GBC, because it's been awhile since I played that, but I know it also happened in the famicon version. I want to say it may have happened in dw4 nes before it got fixed, but I may be wrong on that,

So I have a few odd things to ask on the mobile port.

1. Is the games difficulty higher than the GBC version? I seem to become dead quite often.

2. Did they nerf the hero 's MP? I'm at level 15 and only have 18 MP which is quite ridiculous considering my thief has over 80 and that's with a hero with a paragon personality.

3. Speaking of thief. My thief has the highest def with a whopping 102 while everyone with better equipment has only defenses in the 60's. She is a princess type. What the heck happened there?

4. How come zoom resets the day/night cycle ? Did that happen in the SNES version? I don't think it did in the GBC version...

1) Only when it comes to monsters with double attack rates, and Baramos especially (he has his regen in this version, none in the GBC, though the GBC seeks to make up for this by adding in another 500 HP).  There are a few other elements that make it a touch more difficult.  Enemy stats, in terms of the plain stats (Attack / Defense / Agility / HP / MP) are no different, except of course for the aforementioned Baramos.  Trigger rates for special attacks, such as Paralysis on-hit, are the same.

Oh right, I forgot, the GBC actually has slightly higher base modifiers for stat growth, than the SFC/Mobile versions (especially for the Hero...except in the case of MP, where the remakes are all worse than the NES original).

It's one reason I haven't included yet those elements in my FAQ.  We know them for the GBC version, but not specifically the SFC/Mobile (the equations that govern both are identical though...as in how personality factors in, just not the base modifiers).  It could turn out the base equation and modifiers are the same, but the only difference is the correction system.  Afterall the SFC version, which is copied exactly in the original mobile, which is the base for this mobile, is more likely to punish the player on the next level (one level 14 in Str, the next level 5).

Not sure if I'll ever get around to that.

There's one other thing.  Some equipment (Magic Bikini, and Ortega Helm) have reduced viability.  The Bikini in the GBC has magic resistance, in the SFC/Mobile, nada, it's just a decent physical defensive armour for women.  The Ortega Helm in the GBC adds in status reduction.  The SFC/Mobile version has no such bonus for the Ortega Helm, meaning the Hero is stuck relying on Luck for status anomalies.  Since the first slot is the most likely to be attacked, the Hero will be more often affected by status anomalies.

2) It's not a nerf so much as what I explained above.  The Hero just happens to feel the brunt of this, and it could be only the Hero has different base values.  If you want to correct this, give him/her a personality that increases Wisdom growth.  There are a few accessories that help with this.

3) What Reusen said.  Agility.

4) What Reusen said.  It's a factor of DQ3.  Just tested every DQ made since DQ3.  Even on the NES, DQ4 does not change the Day/Night cycle.  It's just a quirk of the 3rd game, and only of the 3rd game.

Hmm that stinks about the altered gear. I only played the GBC version of 3 prior to this so it all seems odd to me.

I also never remember having a thief that beastly in defense ever but alas my memory is not what it used to be. Thank you for the answers

In my solo run, my Hero has the Lone wolf personality.  I am currently level 15 with 21 wisdom and 42 MP.  I'm pretty picky about my level ups though, so if I don't get a good level, especially where MP is concerned, then I reload and keep trying until I get one I like.  In a solo run you need every advantage you can get.  In my regular playthough I didn't bother doing this and by level 50, with the same personality, I think the hero has well over 100MP.

Edited by Cain

Sign in to follow this