Sign in to follow this  
DeynaTheDangerous

MKS Hunting

So... I'm well over 130 hours into my DQIX game and I've yet to see a Metal King Slime (my Defeated Monster list is at about 81%). I'm aware they can be found on Slime Hill and up in the Tower of Nod (as well as high level grottoes, but I haven't had any luck with those), but I've run into more monsters than I can count and haven't found one. And to top it off, Liquids are getting less and less effective as my levels get up in the 90s. I know there's a plethora of you knowledgeable people on here, so I'd like to ask for some tips... as in, where have you found Metal King Slimes before? Which monsters did you run into when you found them? What were/are your farming tactics? (So far I've been running around on Slime Hill and mostly training on Liquid Metals, since they're the best I can get for now.)

I know, you're all gonna say "Well, 130 hours isn't much, so be patient." I don't play this game as much as a lot of you do. The one game I had the most time in was over 400 hours in Pokemon Black version. But I don't spend tons of time in games, though I'm not a quick-complete player either. And if patience is what it requires, fine. I'm good with it. Just list out all the tips you guys have.

And just so you all know, I don't have any grottoes with MKS in them, and I highly doubt I'd be able to get one from someone else. So although I know grottoes with only MKS on a floor are great, they're quite rare... (My highest is level 78, and I've gotten Ruby ranks and all that, so don't think I just haven't been getting decent grottoes.)

Actually, I'm wondering the same thing. I've been playing agan recently and still haven't found one, either.

you should use the 'grotto calcullator' which you can find on this website (go to the main page and press on dragon quest ix and then grotto calculator on the right), but its just a matter of completing a high level grotto with you're hero at a high level.

if you're hero is level 80 and the grotto is level 80 you have a 19% chance of getting a grotto with a MKS,

also the more times you're hero has revocated the more chance you have of getting a grotto with a MKS.

it may also good to know you can only find a MKS in either a cave, water or fire grotto

on another note do you have a good way of killing metal slimes?

because there are two skills which give you a 50% chance to get a critical hit, which means you have a 50% chance of killing them in one hit.

the two skills are called thunder thrust and hatchet man

thunder thrust:  you get when you level you're spear skill up to 58

hatchet man: you get when you level you're axe skill up to 58

and if you get either skill tree up to level 100 you can use those weapons in any class

Update: I finally found a grotto with Metal King Slimes in it... Emerald level, I believe, and at least level 78. Still rare, but it's something.

And yeah, welloneday, I have Hatchet Man and Thunder Thrust... and I recently revocated for the first time (I don't play enough). And I didn't know they could only be found in those particular kinds of grottoes, so thanks for the help, and those statistics.

You can also Google Tower of Nod MKS videos and you should find some YouTube posts that show where they spawn.  I don't remember seeing MKS on Slime Hill.

I don't think Metal Kings appear on Slime Hill. And I've personally never seen one in the Tower of Nod, but I've noticed that it seems to be a bit easier to find MKS's in Water and Cave Grottos. You can also find Platinum Kings in very high level Ruin Grottos.

I don't think Metal Kings appear on Slime Hill. And I've personally never seen one in the Tower of Nod, but I've noticed that it seems to be a bit easier to find MKS's in Water and Cave Grottos. You can also find Platinum Kings in very high level Ruin Grottos.

It's where I roll.