So Exactly How Accurate Is the DQVI Localization (excluding the accent

What I mean is, do characters generally have the same personalities they did originally?  Were any critical plot elements (such as Milly backstory in Felonia) altered in any way?  Was anything important like that changed?  The reason I ask is because looking at the NoProgress fan translation for DQVI, I've gotten to the "Buck and Bill" section in Haggleton.  And I've noticed that Bill's attitude seems pretty different from the two versions.  For reference...

"Bill (DS Version): Buck should really loosen up.  His competitive spirit is going to put him in the poorhouse one of these days."

"Bill (NoProgress Translation): One day I will be better than Buck..."

So obviously that's a pretty drastic change.  But then again, that's only NPC dialogue from a one-off character, which isn't THAT important in the grand scheme of things anyways.  So, since there seem to be several knowledgeable fan translators out there (like The Grinch and Tom-Servo), I figured I'd ask one of you.  So how exactly is the American localization, discounting the puns and accents and stuff?

Edited by FionordeQuester

It's OK. 8-4's has its highlights, but it's pretty dry in some spots. Sometimes they expand on the line or character and sometimes they're just kinda there. (King Rydock, the torment of the sage, for example.) According to Mimas, the NoProgress localization isn't very accurate at all. More like the general idea. She can probably explain it better if she swings by. For the Bill/Buck / Boga/Doga scenario you mentioned, 8-4 made the elder brother a little nicer and more of a friendly rivalry while in the original he didn't care as long as he got your stuff.

I see.  Cool!  I always enjoyed the Dragon Quest VI translation, and I've always been of the opinion that "punching" up a translation is not only acceptable, but something that should be encouraged as long as the localizers don't throw out entire portions of the script the way 4Kids did.  Or go TOO far with it like they did in Dragon Quest IV.

That said, one other thing I'm wondering about.  In regards to Felonia...what about that town?  Were there any lurid details there played up or removed in the localization?  Or is it more or less the same between version?  Because on one hand, the U.S. has generally been pretty sensitive about stuff like that, but on the other hand...that whole thing was such an extreme tonal shift compared to the rest of the game, that I actually wonder if the localizers played things up rather than down, you know what I mean?

Edited by FionordeQuester

I know you said excluding accents, but on the topic, you might find this an interesting read. It's a quick side by side translation analysis of the first scene in DQ4 by one of the best fan translators out there.

His entire site is worth your time if your interested in the topic of game localization.

(Sorry for the late response, will write more later!)

You can also check out the interview with the localization team from the link in my signature. The intention for IV was the feeling of different people from all around the world coming together to save the world. Had it been console title with voice acting I think the dialects would've "clicked" with more people.

I get the intention, and it was done well in the recent DQIII mobile release (and arguably made more sense there since the world is loosely based on our own), but it wasn't clearly implied by the story in the zenithian trilogy world and only served to make the games less accessible.

I know you know the difference between literal translation and localization better than most, and I think we are actually on the same page. I think I would have loved accented voice acting (maybe even with plain non accented text). I will readily admit that after a time I just stopped trying to read what was being said in game. The text of DQIV is not Robert Burns or Chaucer. While I may enjoy spending the effort to read those lines a few times to get the jist of things, I do not want to expend the same effort for a DQ.

My son is just learning to read and I've been trying to get him into DQ (hook 'em while they're young!) and I think we'll stick with the NES version. :)</dead horse>

Sorry for thoroughly derailing the thread with my pointless speech.

Edited by Neil_
  • Upvote 1

Further derailment: ;)

I've never read anything by Robert Burns, but Chaucer's really difficult to read. We read the Canterbury Tales in my English class using Middle English. While it was interesting to try to read it, I was getting nowhere in the story.After reading a line about four or five times I could mostly understand it. After the professor told us what we had to have read, I gave up all hope of trying to read it in Middle English and opted for a modern English version I found online. :P

As everyone probably guessed I'm with Neil_ on this one. Seeing as how I didn't with Chaucer, I'm really not going to with DQ.

Slightly back on topic:

DQV - It's been said before, so I know I'm not alone on this: Sancho. I can only compare the fan translation to the DS remake, but the DS remake really turns him into a different character entirely for me.

Back on topic:

DQVI:

I actually haven't read the fan translation for this one. Maybe the next time I play through the DS version I'll grab a copy and compare the two. Felonia had a DQ kind of feel, and I think as a whole DQVI was more DQish for me. There were elements that I didn't care for in the localized version, but I felt they were (in general) faithful enough to the story and characters that it actually felt like I was playing a DQ game. It'll be interesting to see if I'm wrong.

Now that I look back on it, I would say...

It's 100% accurate.

Why? Because the original team did the remakes, remember? We never got 6 in the first place, remember?

Nothing to base it on.