Sign in to follow this  
SlackerGuyS21

Music Arrangement/Composition thread

I'm just happy someone around here is even willing to entertain the notion. I've always wanted to hear War Cry in 8-bit.  Thanks for the heads up, Erdrick! Don't sweat it. If it sounds fun, do it. No rush( except in my MP3 player  :D ).

I remember messing with a lot of themes from VIII on Sekaiju (MIDI software) to test out some soundfonts I made, particularly Battle in the Heavens, and I've been meaning to finish Come to Our Town from IX.

I haven't fiddled with 8-bit in at least a year; what is some good software besides FamiTracker?

I haven't fiddled with 8-bit in at least a year; what is some good software besides FamiTracker?

There's this Famicom soundfont and a plugin I used to have for FL Studio called Chip 32.

Here's a list of related plugins I found here. Not sure if what you use supports them and I've only used one of them so I can't really tell you how they are.

Outside of Famitrack this is all I really know. I don't really mess around with 8-bit stuff so I apologize for not being of much help.

Slackerguy, could you do a version of DQ6's Battle theme (the SFC version, with the drums and the bass guitar) with a nice instrument set? Unfortunately the iOS version of the game, like the DS version, uses a symphonic instrument suite. It's decent, but it loses the feel of the original.

Hey SlackerGuy, today I learned how to rip MIDIs from DS games. (It turns out I remembered wrong, DQ6DS did have a bass guitar and drums in it's battle theme.) So I can do this myself now. Go ahead and finish if you'd like, but I don't need it anymore. Thanks anyways!

Speaking of DS midis... I remastered Happy Slime Town (Boingburg's theme) from Slime Morimori Dragon Quest 2.

• Upvote 1

It's been a while since I've remixed a Pokemon theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1r65at9B2E

My favorite Trainer battle theme and also one of the hardest themes for me to do. I'll probably do more in the future.

Edited by SlackerGuyS21

It is a very fast-paced piece. Is it harder because of the speed? So many notes in just a few seconds. :D

It is a very fast-paced piece. Is it harder because of the speed? So many notes in just a few seconds. :D

Haha, maybe frustrating is a better word than "hardest". The tempo of the theme is not really the problem.

It's the fact that it's one of my most favorite themes and most of times I've arranged it I end up not being satisfied with the result. It's kinda hard to explain, really. It's like one of those things you keep doing, you feel satisfied with it, and then sometime later you're not and you try it again, and again. I feel that this is my best attempt at the theme though (for now). :)

Hey SlackerGuy, your puush links don't work anymore. Says I don't have permission.

SlackerGuy, why so many broken links? And your MIDIs folder is empty... D:

HAH! TRIPLE POST! I actually have something to add this time...

Dragon Quest VII's Over the Horizon, as if the game was played on the Gameboy Color.

Huh, I'm not having any problem with the puush links.

And I'll have the MIDIs back up soon. I'm working on more of them.

Also I like how that Gameboy arrangement sounds, Erdrick. What did you use for it?

I used a MIDI I found online, edited it with Anvil Studio to get the channels set up the way I wanted. Fed the edited MIDI through Caustic to record it with a Gameboy soundfont I found online. Then I used Audacity to drop the bitrate and get it to loop properly.

I probably spent more time making that title screen than actually working on the music, lol.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Just finished another one: Moving Through the Present.

Finally got around to uploading this remix to YouTube.

I remastered the Scoutpost theme from Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker. I imagine this is what the track will sound like in Joker 3 on the 3DS.

I remastered The Albatross theme from DQMJ2... At the time of this writing the video is still in queue for being processed by YouTube, but hopefully it will be up soon.

Well I wouldn't know the first thing about remixing or using already made songs.......But long time ago I let my brother help me put my first song into a music program. But he doesn't know how to mix and I let him do most the drums, but the song is basically my own. It has singing melody which is not here and you can tell its supposed to have singing XD;; 

If anybody just randomly wants to remake this song using better instruments and mixing etc. go ahead. (I actually would like that because I planned to do a recorded singing version some time now!) It used to have a live band play it when I was in my rock band, but I have no recordings of the actual thing. So here you go the crappy made version. > .>;;

http://picosong.com/QpUj/

I took the 3DS symphonic version of Place of Stopped Time from Dragon Quest VII, and adjusted the pitch and tempo to have it more closely resemble the PlayStation version's compisition while keeping the symphonic sound. Thanks to the PaulStretch effect, it doesn't sound choppy. It's not 100% perfect, but I'm satisfied. I think the only way this could be improved is by re-recording it, so...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B16I1pI-pI9DTjJCODM5c19iZkU/view?usp=sharing

You'll probably have to download the file if you want to listen, Google Drive doesn't like when I encode audio at 48khz.

Hm.

Hmm?
Link doesn't work.

I discovered Famitracker a while ago, and for the past month I've been trying to figure out the program. I decided to make some Dragon Quest covers to practice. I finished two songs so far, and I figured I'd post them here.

Memories of a Lost World (DQ7 Past Worldmap Theme): https://soundcloud.com/butthoumust/memories-of-a-lost-world-famitracker-vrc6

To a Vast World (DQ8 Worldmap Theme): https://soundcloud.com/butthoumust/to-a-vast-world-famitracker-vrc6

Edited by ChrystalChameleon