Sign in to follow this  
Soera

Remakes, re-releases, and remasters ...

Am I the only person who is so against this? I see a thread every day for someone wanting yet another version of a game we already have. I would really hope that if Squenix is going to spend time on bringing games to us, it would be a game that we have no other way to play. DQX, DQ Heroes, Theatrhythm, etc ...

One of the reasons people want the remake of VII to come here is due to the low supply of it. I had to stalk eBay for a while to get a decent price for the original version.

I'll take what I can get.

tumblr_inline_miyb0hSvtm1qz4rgp.png
  • Upvote 1

I'll take what I can get.

These days I'm more okay with ports than I am remakes.  I think it's important to preserve great games and ensure they're always available.  You can't fault younger gamers for not playing NES games because they're hard to find and the tech is outdated.  By releasing ports and remakes, we can make sure some of the greatest games will always be available

I like remakes because they often fix major bugs, make gameplay easier, improve graphics and sound, and often speed things up.  Then they add extras that often make for a better game, add in new weapons and armour, and are often 10x better balanced than the originals (none of the NES games were properly balanced by character/class, and in the case of 2, the core game after the ship).

Granted Horii has certainly gotten the hang of balancing the game, and certainly the teams he works with have improved their concept of balance over time, and as such, each new release requires little to no rebalancing.

It's certainly not for everyone, but some people do like it.  Plus it's not like the creator is remaking games because fans demand them.  Horii does it because he wants to.

It also grants a whole new experience, and I can replay my favourite series again, in new ways legally.  So rather than complain about whether the focus is on remakes (this is not your point but it's a common point made that parallels this), or whether fans want more remakes or not is a silly point to make, because you can't stop that it will or won't, nor can any fan affect whether they'll remake a game or not.  New games are still being made at the same time, and clearly with the same level of attention to detail and story structure, and gameplay development.  Afterall, the first remakes were done at the same time as the uber ambitious DQ5, and then again alongside DQ6, an even more ambitious game (by a LONG shot), then again we had two new remakes and several gaiden's (the monsters series) being made alongside DQ7.

So pretty much Horii, Tori, and Sugi can definitely handle multiple projects simultaneously, without compromising quality or the experience.  Plus they don't care if fans demand this or that (I know people like to state that it was fan complaints that caused DQ9 to switch from ARPG to turn-based, but DQ10 kind of destroys that theory, as does DQ Swords, and Slime Mori-Mori, and OH, right, the recent Playstation 3/4 game, DQ Heroes, that and the switch happened almost a year after the bulk of fan complaints appeared, with no direct response to fans, just a changed game and an extended development time).

I've just never understood the complaint either for the actual development of these sorts of games, or for fan desires.  It matters not at all, and each person has their own take on the games as a whole.

Some people prefer the older games, and the way those stories and that gameplay was designed.  Some like the constantly shifts and changes that have developed over time, and seen new iterations, as we see with each new game.  Some like all of it.  Some people like to revisit the old games.  I would say most fans, myself included, and it seems this is what Eal and Matt are referring to, and from other posts, Erdrick shares in this opinion...if there's a game with the DQ logo, we want it.  We don't care what it is, because Horii has yet to let us down (some people beg to differ on this...as with changes in DQ9, which many found abhorent, while others, such as myself, ate up like a freshly made bowl of ramen rice noodles with chicken and egg, or the most delectable pizza), as the man clearly loves his work, and one thing is clear, those who put love into their work, and do so because it is a thing they enjoy, will create quality.  One just cannot expect everyone to enjoy everything (there are some people who hate Picasso's early work, some who hate his later work, some who love all of it, some who hate all of it, and everything in between).

So really, I want any and all DQ's, and I want to experience my older games officially in other ways, especially when those initial experiences are outdated, and the very idea of experiencing DQ3 in a DQ8 like experience is...I mean, c'mon Soera, think about the implications of that!  Nevermind going a few steps further, taking more advantage of current tech, and just creating a more intense experience?

These days I'm more okay with ports than I am remakes.  I think it's important to preserve great games and ensure they're always available.  You can't fault younger gamers for not playing NES games because they're hard to find and the tech is outdated.  By releasing ports and remakes, we can make sure some of the greatest games will always be available

Then there's also this very valid and most excellent point.  I'm quoting since I don't want to ruin the near flawless presentation of the point!

Super Mario All-Stars. 'nuff said. : P

• Upvote 1

I didn't replay to this with detail until now, so...

Remakes, re-releases, and remasters? Some games -truly- deserve to be polished and popped back out, or deserve to have this treatment.

Now, I've seen topics that pissed me off too (( Sorry, but DQ8? Rly? )), but... 

What about DQ1-3? Those would be super-awesome as a HD remake. There's classic titles that deserve it too. Anyone remember Faxanadu? What about Secret of Mana? Or well, to me most RPGs.

But there's titles that are OBVIOUSLY just milk-fests. The KH "ports" (( Except for the PS2 version of Chain of Memories or whatever it was )), the Halo MCC, and so on.

But just general hate never works.

I'm not entirely against the Kingdom Hearts ports. It's nice to have the whole convoluted story in two packages seeing as I never played any of them but I was surely interested in it. It's also helpful to the fans who didn't have one of the many, many systems a part of the story was made on. The director even admits they're to help get players primed for Kingdom Hearts 3. It's been years since a proper entry came out and they're probably trying to bring nostalgic players back into the fold who've missed a lot.

For me, in terms of general remakes, it all comes down to individual taste. You don't lose anything for each remake that comes out but a lot of people who might have missed the game get a shot at playing it. How many people joined the Den after playing one of the DS remakes alone?

The Dragon Quest VII remake on 3DS is really well done. It looks gorgeous. It's the kind of remake where it always looked that way in my head, even though I totally know that the original looked like a SNES game on steroids. It also makes it super ripe for localization, which is why it honestly surprises me more than any other release that we haven't gotten VII in the west. Rocket Slime, Monsters, sure, whatever. But Bravely Default proved that this VII remake would do well here as well. Then again, that's another, super heated discussion.  :tounge2:

I don't think anything newer than VII needs a remake. I think an HD remake of 1-3 would be cool. Mostly I'm just happy they're translating all the mobile releases. It's something, and I've ALWAYS wanted Dragon Quest on my phone since I first got an iPhone. I always thought it'd be perfect, and it is.

• Upvote 1

Ten needs a remake so the topic of a translation can be brought back to the table for discussion.

These are like the best RPGs ever and the remakes aren't halfassed at all. DQVII for 3DS looks like a dream with the new graphics and faster combat. The only issue is that the intro is shortened. I'd like a remake of the first three, DQVII to be imported and a DQVIII HD version like SE did with FFX and KH.

With remakes, remasters, etc, I'm completely fine with them.  They can introduce new fans to a series, give current fans a chance to play a game they might have missed or have it on a new console (whether portable or home), and can bring any needed changes/rebalances to help smooth out the game.  It's thanks to these sort of releases that I was able to play plenty of SNES games at a great price (such as Super Mario RPG on the Wii's Virtual Console).

I'm the kind of guy who likes to experience every version of a game if possible, mainly with RPGs like Dragon Quest, Etrian Odyssey, and Shin Megami Tensei or with others.  I like to see what sort of changes were made throughout each version, whatever they may be.  So, if anything, rereleases and remakes give me the opportunity to try the game and can scratch my itch to try the original versions if possible.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I still would love to see DQI re-made as an action RPG.  Running around slashing slimes in real-time is rather appealing.  It's the perfect one to do since there's no party member.  Or maybe a spin-off featuring Ortega and his epic battle on top of the volcano.

I still would love to see DQI re-made as an action RPG.  Running around slashing slimes in real-time is rather appealing.  It's the perfect one to do since there's no party member.  Or maybe a spin-off featuring Ortega and his epic battle on top of the volcano.

While I do wish they would do more action-based titles I really dont wish any of the old DQ games to get that treatment.

Rather than that I think it'd be interesting if they just incorporated action-based elements into the turn-based combat.

Yknow the same type of combat systems that make games like Legend of Dragoon and Paper Mario popular?

I wouldn't mind a DQI-III remake/remaster, especially adding party chat to II and III.

I still would love to see DQI re-made as an action RPG. Running around slashing slimes in real-time is rather appealing. It's the perfect one to do since there's no party member. Or maybe a spin-off featuring Ortega and his epic battle on top of the volcano.

From what I understand, that's what Kenshin Dragon Quest is, but with a motion controller.

No main series action RPGs. DQ is turn based perfected. Keep it that way.

No main series action RPGs. DQ is turn based perfected. Keep it that way.

please. Spin-Offs are ok for action.

1 remade as an action-RPG would be king.