Sign in to follow this  
SlackerGuyS21

The Denpa Men

The_Denpa_Men_-_They_Came_By_Wave_Logo.p

For a Dragon Quest forum I'm surprised I haven't seen this series talked about at all here.

For those just hearing about this series, The Denpa Men is basically a DQ-influenced game series with the typing element from Pokémon mixed in. In addition, the series takes from DQ3's team building feature. The games of the series are probably some of the most challenging on the 3DS, and you'll instantly see some parallels between this and DQ, especially with The Denpa Men 2. I'd say they're worth a shot and probably the only DQ games the west will ever get on the 3DS.

If you've played it before, what are some of your opinions of this series?

I played the first Denpa Men game, and thought it was alright.  The game certainly gets tough but can be fair, but kind of feels unnecessarily difficult sometimes.  Some dungeons were downright evil such as the volcano.  I never completed the game though.

Concept wise, I like what the game does, having you search for more Denpa Men out in the "wild" by scanning around with your 3DS.  It actually works in a lot of places too, which is very nice.  The variety in Denpa Men is pretty crazy too, and it's nice to see the team behind the game go all out in terms of designs and facial expressions.

I see an angel slime hat obscured by the title.

It's an eShop exclusive on the 3DS, Platty.  There are 3 games in series so far, with 2 considered the hardest of the bunch from what I've heard.  I think the first is only 8 dollars or so, and it can be a fun game to play.

with 2 considered the hardest of the bunch from what I've heard.

Yup. Having played through the second game, I say that it's a lot more challenging than the first one and there have been many times where my teams were horribly wiped out. It's pretty much the DQ2 of the series, but it also forces you to think more strategically about the battles in the game. The game's pretty long for a download title, too.

My sister bought and downloaded all three games. I didn't try them, though; the games don't look interesting to me.

The_Denpa_Men_-_They_Came_By_Wave_Logo.p

For a Dragon Quest forum I'm surprised I haven't seen this series talked about at all here.

For those just hearing about this series, The Denpa Men is basically a DQ-influenced game series with the typing element from Pokémon mixed in. In addition, the series takes from DQ3's team building feature. The games of the series are probably some of the most challenging on the 3DS, and you'll instantly see some parallels between this and DQ, especially with The Denpa Men 2. I'd say they're worth a shot and probably the only DQ games the west will ever get on the 3DS.

If you've played it before, what are some of your opinions of this series?

I played the first Denpa Men game, and thought it was alright. The game certainly gets tough but can be fair, but kind of feels unnecessarily difficult sometimes. Some dungeons were downright evil such as the volcano. I never completed the game though.

Concept wise, I like what the game does, having you search for more Denpa Men out in the "wild" by scanning around with your 3DS. It actually works in a lot of places too, which is very nice. The variety in Denpa Men is pretty crazy too, and it's nice to see the team behind the game go all out in terms of designs and facial expressions.

I now blame you 2 for distracting me from Pokemon. I watched some YouTube reviews, and this morning downloaded the demo. Took the game downtown this morning and found a boatload of different Denpa Men. So, I'm now sitting here waiting for the full game to download. Had a gift card given to me yesterday, so $9.99 of it are now gone. Again, I blame (or thank) both of you. On to playing!

haha I am thinking of giving it a try too, which one should I start at? 1 2 or 3?

It depends on how you want to go about the series. The first is good for familiar with the how things work as far as catching and team-building goes. It lacks an overworld though so the game is pretty quick. Overall, it's a pretty good play.

The second game is a lot more difficult than the first and things get real very early in the game, iirc. It also introduces a vast overworld very similar to the first five DQ games and dungeons are generally bigger and they become more complex as you go on. In addition, the game has a more content such as fishing (for money), harvesting (for changing the type of Denpa Man), and colosseum battles (online play against uploaded teams). It also adds in separate clothes for equipping. A great number of the boss battles in this game force you to think more strategically in terms of how you build your team and the types of Denpa Men you bring into battle. All in all, this game is pretty challenging but offers more compared to the first. You'll also find yourself spending a lot more time on this than the first game.

The third game is a prequel to the first two. I haven't gotten to a very far point in this game, but the game is pretty good from what I've played. In addition to the features added in 2, this game brings even more to the table such as auto-capturing and an online item trade system. From what I played, the game isn't as harsh on you as the second, but it can still be challenging if you get careless.

Again, I blame (or thank) both of you. On to playing!

Hope you enjoy. :)

Good, Platty, the plan worked perfectly....MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Anyway, hope you've been enjoying it, and good luck with the rest of the game.

Just like McDonald's, I'm Lovin' It. Out walking the dog I was taking my 3ds to see what new men I could find. Then I opened up the qr code thing and now I can just get new guys any time. Sadly they start at level 1, so finding new guys is preferable, but now I have options. I'm about 5 hours into it and just barely killed a big squid. Yuck.

Glad you're enjoying it Platty, and that you aren't having too much trouble finding/getting Denpa men.  Took me a few days to actually find some when I first got the game, but surprisingly found a ton when I went to my apartment!

Hopefully the game won't distract you TOO much from Pokémon... :thumbsup:

I downloaded it at my parents and found a shiny one a few days after. Got back home last night and found 2 more shinys in my place. One must be very rare as it's up to level 15 and still has an antenna root. It hasn't turned into something yet so it's like double EXP or gold or find item. I hope it shows itself soon.

So, beat the Dark Lord or whatever. Thinking "yay!"

Then the game opens up 3 new dungeons/islands. Ok. Thought I'd never figure out what this one guy's antennae skill is. Guess I have another 15+ levels to go to figure it out. Haha.

Gonna take my 3DS on the dog walk tonight. See if I can find anyone good.

Yeah, the game nearly got me with that too, Platty. Bloody game tries to pull a DQ3 moment on you.

Oh man, I think I may soon be done with this game. Didn't realize the penalty for getting wiped out. That's really crappy. Seriously, it's taken an hour to raise money to get my team back, oh and that Multiheal heal dude I got from QR Codes? Gone. Forever. Grrrrrrr. Are the other 2 games as brutal with wipe outs? If so, I think this series is 1 and done for me. I'm more into the casualness of gaming. This is a bit too hardcore for me.

Are the other 2 games as brutal with wipe outs?

2 iirc isn't so harsh because it's a lot easier to get money in the game. The game makes you pay significantly less when you get to a certain point though. But overall, the game is much more challenging and forces you to think more strategically than in the first game. I haven't gotten to a point in the third where my team got wiped out yet. The trick is you have to periodically change up your team to fit the environment/boss in these games. Luckily, the Denpa Men you catch level up even when they're not in your party.

What was it that you lost against?

Yeah Platty, that's exactly why I stopped playing Denpa 1.  The penalties for death in that game are harsh, worse than the likes of Shin Megami Tensei or Etrian Odyssey where even though you lose progress, you just go back to your previous save with everything in tact.

Are the other 2 games as brutal with wipe outs?

2 iirc isn't so harsh because it's a lot easier to get money in the game. The game makes you pay significantly less when you get to a certain point though. But overall, the game is much more challenging and forces you to think more strategically than in the first game. I haven't gotten to a point in the third where my team got wiped out yet. The trick is you have to periodically change up your team to fit the environment/boss in these games. Luckily, the Denpa Men you catch level up even when they're not in your party.

What was it that you lost against?

Random party on the first floor of the volcano. They did 4 breath attacks in 1 round which wiped my party out. I'd been almost all through the volcano too, levels were high enough. It's the money and now the fact I have to relevel my heal all guy I got the qr code for. Saw one of those guys last night while out walking but couldn't catch him. Went to the same spot today and he wouldn't spawn. I'm almost back in action. Need more money to revive 2 guys.

Btw, can I sell the proof that I beat old bosses? Is there any point to them?

Yeah Platty, that's exactly why I stopped playing Denpa 1. The penalties for death in that game are harsh, worse than the likes of Shin Megami Tensei or Etrian Odyssey where even though you lose progress, you just go back to your previous save with everything in tact.

Yeah, that I could deal with. Just losing them all was too much. I'll keep going, but if that happens again, it'll probably be it.

The emblems can be sold. The prices depend on the bosses you beat, but overall they're good for getting more money and buying items.

The emblems can be sold. The prices depend on the bosses you beat, but overall they're good for getting more money and buying items.
Thanks!

That volcano was the worst dungeon. There's another dungeon around that point that's just as bad. I can't recall the name, but it was a forest maze.

• Upvote 1

Yep. I've arrived at the Oasis. That's the forest maze. I've been doing a lot of collecting of Denpa men this Christmas break. This morning I finally found the dude who heals everyone. I had one from QR, but he died. I saw one in my neighborhood once, but missed it. Went back to that same spot today and found it. Did the volcano. Here's my party lineup. I'm making a push to beat this $#!&@!

Revive guy (hero)

Physical fighter 1

Physical fighter 2

Cure burn all (or whatever local annoyance it is)

Multi-heal guy

Elemental spell guy #1

Elemental spell guy #2

Elemental spell guy #3