Sign in to follow this  
Erdrick The Hero

Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in Fortune Street Special

2qlaolf.png

I'm working on translating Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special, for the PlayStation 2. Though, I've changed the title to reflect the official title localization of Fortune Street (Itadaki Street Wii, Wii) and Fortune Street Smart (Itadaki Street Smart, Android/iOS). Though I was originally cleaning up an unfinished menu patch I found online, I've since learned more about how the game's text and graphics are stored and I've decided to start from scratch, so I'm not carrying over any work from the previous translator's patch.

PROGRESS - Last updated 12/3/2016, 12:33 AM

• Script - Translation: ~2.08%
  • Script - Translation Editing: 0%
  • Script - Localization: 0%
  • Script - Localization Editing: 0%
  • Script - Insertion: 0%
  • Font: 100% DONE!
  • Images - Insertion: ~60%
  • Hacking: ~50%

Please remember when reading the progress report, that I am working on this alone, in my spare time. Also remember that I'm relatively new to all this, and I that I am still learning Japanese. Progress will be slow. Also, at this time, the Images percentage may be inaccurate. I haven't dumped every image from the game yet, and I may need to go over some of the ones I've already done again to fix some graphical bugs.

I'm leaving the original post in a spoiler so you can check out the proof of concept video I made a while back. However, the video was made while I there were still elements of the old patch left in the game, so many things will change.

A translation patch. There's a patch out there that went half-done, I'm cleaning up what's there and using Google Translate along with common sense and knowledge of Fortune Street Wii to finish it.

A proof of concept video:

Sorry for weird voice, I think I'm starting to get a cold.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

So, I finished all the names but two: Slimy and Clift. For Slimy, I just don't know what I'm calling him yet. I need to translate his description to figure out if he's Rocket, or a generic slime. As for Clift, well, he's got four separate entries in the script (most characters have 3). The first three entries have been changed to Kiryl, but the game crashes on startup if I edit the fourth entry. This is frusturating, but also very odd - If there's a fourth "Clift" entry, it means that entry was edited before, in the original patch. I don't know why it crashes now. It even crashes if I edit that entry, but then change it back to "Clift", meaning something way out of the ordinary is happening. (In order to fix the boot crash, I have to restore that file from a backup before I edited it the first time.)

Anyways, all other names have been fixed, including long names. The long names stick out of the textboxes a little bit, but I have an idea for a graphics edit that will remedy that. (Basically remove the left and right sides of the window graphics, so that the text background is even throughout the textbox. Then the extra letter won't noticeably extend out of bounds.)

What is the slime's name when romanized?  It may match up well with a previously used slime name, like Slalin. 

Japanese_Character_One.gifJapanese_Character_Two.gifJapanese_Character_Three.gifJapanese_Character_Four.gif

Nice work on this by the way.  I hope you are able to work past the issues you are facing.  It would be awesome to see a more complete (and accurate) patch for this game.

Edited by King Zenith

I'll check his name when I get home from work today.

2r4nzmo.png

If I remember correctly, this is the same japanese string that is the generic name for slimes in battle in other DQ games. Of course, that's from visual memory, I can't actually read this, lol. (I have no way to type it either.) That would correspond with Fortune Street Wii naming the slime, "Slime", as just a generic one.

Yes that is the Japanese for slime, don't forget the Monster Database/Wiki has the Japanese names listed with the monsters, so I just checked slime and it was a match

http://www.woodus.com/den/resources/monster_wiki_result.php?jname=%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A0&pickedname=Slime%281%29

2014-12-03 07_39_21-Dragon's Den _ Resources _ Monster Database.png

Oh, thank you! I had forgotten about the updates to the monster database.

Dude, you're awesome. This will be a great addition to America's collection of DQ fan translations! Maybe this will eventually lead to every Fortune Street game getting a patch (save the Wii version). I'll remain hopeful. After all, my failed fansub group was responsible for inspiring Delta Subs' Goranger project.

Don't get too hopeful yet, but if I can get ahold of itadaki street 2 (SFC) and a SNES cart dumper, I might tackle that after this.

No progress last night, unfortunately. I was unable to figure out what about kiryl was crashing the game. Tonight, I'll change Slimy to slime, clean up the settings menu, and then start Google translating the Japanese text in the order it appears in the script dump.

So, I found where all the text is located in the files, so I don't even need to use the patcher tool anymore. I may try building my own patcher with a built in editor, with features that will help me edit the script more easily. But I've never done anything like that before, so it's a weekend (or multiple weekends) project.

How about DQVII-2?! :3

This project is probably much easier by comparison. So thats probably why he's prioritizing it.

Calm down, DQVII-2 is still progressing... slowly... veeeeeeerrrrrrryyyyy sllloooooooooowwwllllyyyyyyyyyyy... (It's seems like every time I make one thing work, two other things break in that project.)

EDIT: Not anymore.

Hey, not bad progress! BTW, Midenhall, Cannock, and Moonbrook have semi-official names in the DQ2 Drama CD, all of which are within 5 letters. (Allen for Midenhall, Conan for Cannock, and Nana for Moonbrook. (Conan and Nana were also among the pool of default names for their respective characters in the Japanese NES version of DQ2, so.......semi-official.))

Edited by mariosmentor

Cool! I'll think about replacing those. Though, I've become somewhat attached to Beth and Lars...

Project isn't dead, I just got sidetracked working on DQX. I picked this back up recently, and I've done a little bit of progress on it. I have a feeling a lot more is to come soon. Just wanted to post something since it's been a while and I've been working on it the past week or so.

So what is included in the little bit of progress you have made lately?  Glad to hear you have picked this up again.

Simple thongs, really. I've been poking around in the texture files, making down what images need editing. I haven't run into the font files again yet, but I know they're just textures. However, when I do find them, I plan on abolishing the Japanese font altogether by replacing each character with a romanized equivalent. Spacing might look a little weird, but it will make room for more text in many cases. I just need to learn to type in Japanese so I can type them into the script. :P

Any update? I love the Itadaki Street series, and am super glad we got them in English starting with Fortune Street. The basic translations for the PS2 and PSP versions are also helpful. Your work will help polish up one of these :D

I think text is stored in Fortune Street Portable in the same way as Fortune Street Special, so once I'm finished with FSS, I plan on buying FSP and working on that too. But at the moment, I'm in that uncanny valley where I know how the text is stored and how to modify it, but I don't have a proper tool to easily work with it, so the FSS patch is progressing slowly.

Simple thongs, really. I've been poking around in...

And that's where I'm going to stop reading. Thongs are actually quite simple, but I don't know what you're doing poking around with them & talking about it here. Geeze, kiss & tell much?

So, I've started re-translating Fortune Street Special from scratch. I have a full (I think), clean, Japanese text dump to work from, so I'm starting from scratch to get rid of any translations that weren't actually my work. I haven't inserted any of this new script into the game yet, but I've got a tool now that (should) make the process pretty painless. And, if that doesn't work, I can go through and manually edit the file like I did before. While having a re-insertion tool would make this a whole lot easier, what was really slowing me down was the fact that I didn't have a full text dump, and I had to wade through the game's executable file trying to determine what was actually text, and what was really just program data that Notepad++ was rendering as text (because that's all it knows to do). Even without a proper insertion tool, doing find+replace will be a lot easier from now on.

Can anybody tell me the English name of this location in DQVIII: "トラペッタ†("Torapetta")?

Torapetta is Farebury.