Etrian Odyssey V and Etrian Odyssey Mystery Dungeon announced

Hello fellow Den members, ol' Yangus here with an RPG announcement.  I'm guessing not a lot of people here on the Den play games from the series, but Atlus announced two brand new Etrian Odyssey games today.  The first is the newest game in the franchise, Etrian Odyssey V, while the second is a collaborative title with Spike Chunsoft called Etrian Odyssey and Mystery Dungeon (that is the real title).

Unfortunately, Internet Explorer (for some reason) won't let me copy/paste links to the articles on Siliconera.com, so if you'd like to see the full articles and the trailers for them, go to Siliconera's home page and both are on the front page.

Now, for my own first impressions:

Since very little info is out for Etrian Odyssey V (both in the trailer and the article), it's a bit hard to give a full idea on what to expect, but to me it seems like the team behind the game is going to really expand on the world (and possibly the lore as well) of the series.  The artwork showing off Yggdrasil alone is not only beautiful, but shows off some cool locations and designs.  The messages in the trailer are pretty ominous, giving off the impression the game may go beyond the Earth of EO, or possibly traveling to different countinets or islands to reach new Labyrinths if the game isn't one giant dungeon again.

As for Mystery Dungeon, it looks like you can create a party of various job classes from the entire series (at least 1 - 4) and has the expected mystery dungeon styled gameplay.  I'll admit I'm not a fan of randomized/rougelike dungeon games, but this title does interest me.  Plus it's cool how they're bringing together job classes from every game so that's a sweet deal, and the rendition of Faith is My Pillar played in the trailer makes me excited to hear Yuzo Koshiro's work in the game provided he's doing the music in this spin-off.

I'd recommend you try the series sooner than later.  Both Etrian Odyssey IV and Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (a remake of the first game) can be gotten pretty cheaply through Amazon.com or through the Nintendo eShop on the 3DS.  Heck both games have demos on the eshop as well, so you aught to download them both and give them a try.

I really liked the Etrian Odyssey x Mystery Dungeon trailer. Expectations of a great game.

Third person dungeon crawler FTW, still unsure about how the battle system is going to work with all customization you have from EO. I would prefer a turn based as EO, but with a third person camera to make it cooler!

Edited by diogoow

You know that I love the Etrian Odyssey games!

I love the direction they went with EO3 adding the boat, and then furthering that in EO4 by taking the blimp to different dungeons (instead of just one deep one). I can't wait to see what they take #5 to!

The Millennium Girl is still sitting unopened at home. Ironically I think I got it a year ago today as my brother-in-law exchanged gifts with us the day before Thanksgiving. It's been a busy year with all the DQ mobile games though. Heck, I turned on my 3DS last week to start Pokemon Omega Ruby and it was the first time in almost 10 months. With my son running all around, it's been mobile gaming for me lately.

The mystery dungeon game I can get behind. I liked the Pokemon ones and the 1 (or was it 2) Torneko ones I played. It should be interesting to see a Etrian Odyssey spin on them.

You'll have plenty of EO games to play, Yamgus, what with Persona Q also out, which is basically a Persona skin of EO, I hear. Apparently it's incredibly long too.

You'll have plenty of EO games to play, Yamgus, what with Persona Q also out, which is basically a Persona skin of EO, I hear. Apparently it's incredibly long too.

89a66994a7918c3118585cd0fef0400b.jpg

Or, "That's what she said."

Yamgus? YAMGUS?!?! Tsk, tsk, eal...

Platty, I'm glad I have an EO brother here on the Den. 3 was the first game in the series I played, and from there I was hooked. The sea faring quests/activity was one of my favorite things too.

IV was a game that took me WAAAAY to long to beat. I got to the end of the 3rd labyrinth and just kinda stopped, but when I picked it up again this summer I was able to get past my roadblock and nearly 100% the game. I'll admit that I wasn't a huge fan of the seperate dungeons at first, but I liked the change from the norm...except for the 5th labyrinth. I really wish it had been more than 1 floor, as it was such a cool design for the 5th labyrinth with some beautiful music. All the mini dungeons were a nice addition too.

As for Persona Q, that's a game I'm REALLY looking forward too, especially after reading a recent impression article. The guy who wrote seemed bummed their won't be as many Persona elements, but I'm totally fine with it. The dungeon crawling in P3&4 is my least favorite thing about those games, so knowing we're getting a Persona game with actual dungeon crawling handled by the EO team makes me excited. Persona Q is essentially a combination of 3 of Atlus' biggest franchises: Shin Megami Tensei, it's spin off Persona, and Etrian Odyssey. All we need is some Trauma Center and Snow Board Kids and we'd have ourselves an Atlus melting pot!

Now for some Etrian Odyssey Mystery Dungeon news. http://www.siliconera.com/2014/11/27/etrian-odyssey-mystery-dungeon-shows-character-creation-dungeons/

This article shows off a few videos of gameplay, with some brief descriptions on what's going on in each.  What's interesting is the first and third videos:

The first confirms there will be 10 classes, 7 you start the game with and 3 you'll likely unlock as you progress through the game.  The starting classes are Landsknecht (Etrian Odyssey IV designed), Protector (Etrian Odyssey I/II design), Gunner, Medic (Etrian Odyssey I/II design), Dancer, Runemaster, and Hexer.  There's only 1 option for male and female versions of the classes, but it looks like we'll get the choice of 4 color schemes, so that's a fair trade off.

The third video confirms how skills will be handled, following the design of IV.  Skills will fall into Basic, Veteran, etc., and you'll need to slap a few points into a skill to unlock the next branch of the skill line.

And Platty, here's a bit of info I think you'll like: Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 will have the Princess/Prince class in the story mode, but this time around we'll also see the class in Classic Mode represented by the artwork from III.  I think, unlike Untold 1, it's going to be available from the start of the game rather than making you unlock it through Story Mode.

Oh, and the Highlander class is back in Untold 2 as well via DLC with 4 brand new designs to go with it.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I love Etrian Odyssey and have played all of them so far. I really thought flying the balloon (in EO4) was a novel idea. And thanks for the notice.

On a similar note Peraona Q has map drawing or your dungeon crawling. It is also a very good game. I don't think prior Persona experience is necessary.

Which demo did you try, or did you try out both demos?