Sign in to follow this  
Liamland

The Official NYC NintendoNY Tag Mode Tuesday Topic

We held our semi-monthly meet-up last week, and it wasn't too bad.  We wound up meeting on the 2nd floor and leaning against the glass case in the corner where they had the "History of Nintendo Portables" display.  What was cool about it was that we could lean on the display case and security is lax in the non-merch-focused area of the store, so there wasn't anyone telling us to stop.

There's also a GIGANTIC tv upstairs that was playing a Mario Kart 8 demo, amongst others.  Deka doesn't know the exact screen size, but it's gotta be 70+.  I'll post pics when I get them off my phone.

I did see the Gulf War Bomb'd-out GameBoy, and it is still working (albeit the screen looks a little faded).  However, unfortunately they took the sign away that explains to people what it is.

• Upvote 1

I did see the Gulf War Bomb'd-out GameBoy, and it is still working (albeit the screen looks a little faded). However, unfortunately they took the sign away that explains to people what it is.

Odd. Then it's just a random old Gameboy. Defeats the purpose.

Yeah, it looks like an artistic looking version of the Gameboy.  I'll talk to Dekablue about having the sign placed somewhere near it, since he works there now.  We now have even more direct access to complain!

Hi Everyone --

I live in NYC and just got the game recently and, while I'm probably not useful in multiplayer yet since I'm pre-post-game, I was hoping to get DLC quests unlocked by stopping by on the 17th if that's the case. (I'm surprised no one has tried to stand up their own DQVC yet.) Will there be a meetup at Nintendo NY then?

--scannell

Hi scannell,

I can't make it this Tuesday, but if you'll be there, I can get word out to the regulars and see if someone can make it.  They can transfer quests and maps to you, but DQVC exclusives and special guests will require a separate meet-up with my laptop and NDS Adaptor.

Let me know if you can definitely make it and I'll try to see if either DDDDrova, Dekablue, or RPG Wizard can go.  The meet-up point has changed since they reopened NintendoNY, and it's now on the 2nd floor near the glass case of Nintendo's history of portable devices (right outside the 2nd floor elevator.)  Unfortunately they took out the seats in the renovation, so we tend to just lean against the glass case, now.

The meet-up usually takes place around 7-8pm, though some folks show up a little earlier sometimes to browse the store or say hi to the staff.

Liam

Some friends and I met Amanda Lepre from the classic video game cover band Descendants of Erdrick, this weekend.  She's playing guitar on tour for Andrew W.K. and they had a show in Coney Island this weekend.

amanda-and-me-coney-island.jpg

Awesome show and she was super nice.  She even introduced us to Andrew.

amanda-andrewWK-coney-island-group-shot.

The concert was held in the Brooklyn Cyclones baseball stadium, which was interesting, because there were rollercoasters and rides visibly happening just over the right field wall.  The people on the roller coasters must have been experiencing a completely different perspective of the concert.

That is cool, I think the closest I saw the were going to get to me was St. Louis or somewhere around there :)

We haven't had a meeting in awhile, especially with me being injured (in a cycling accident back at the end of June) and then away in Japan for the last 9 days.  However, I'm expecting things to pick up with old and new members alike, once Dragon Quest VII is released.

• Upvote 1

Let me know if you guys are going to meet soon. I know it's been a while since I showed up, good times.

It sounded like DQ7 has some stuff that involves Streetpass but not sure. I read about lithographs that sound like grotto maps from DQ9. Even though I thought the PS1 game was disappointing and did not like some of the new changes, I did preorder the game and it should come Friday.

Liam - hopefully you have recovered from that injury.

Edited by Destructor526

Thanks Destructor526.  We definitely will meet more often, and if there's a launch event, then definitely.  I haven't heard anything about any sort of launch event, though, which is pretty unfortunate.  We'll see, though.

Blasphemy. No launch event for Dragon Quest VII at NintendoNY. How disappointing...

Deka thinks that they're waiting to see how the game will sell, first.  I guess that's not as bad.

I checked the website yesterday and didn't see an event either. Guess we can make our own. Someone needs to spread platinum king jewel map if it can exist in this one.

The remake does seem to correct some of the issues of the PS1 version (graphics are much better, the sprites seemed so dull on the PS1 version) so it's not surprising it was rated well. I heard the game is much easier this time around which some may not like. I prefer this though to the scenario where if you don't have a certain skill, you can't beat that damn cloud boss and a couple of others.

Looks like it was confirmed that the soundtrack is MIDI which sounds like it's the PS1 version. I had heard rumors for either way. Most of the music was fine in that version, particularly the final boss music.

I had heard a rumor that some of it was orchestrated for the US version, but when I played the demo with headphones on I could hear that that the music had the exact same sound quality as the PSX.  It's a music that anyone who's played the original knows all too well, so there's no mistaking it as something new.  I only played the demo in the cave along with some battles, though.  It's entirely possible that some of the rest of the music has better quality.  I guess we'll know by Friday.

DDDDrova and I are talking about going to NintendoNY on Friday, if you want to do our own "launch event" meet-up.  I don't know if we'll be able to connect via multiplayer that early in the game, though.

The only problem I can see with Friday is that I bought the game on amazon and it will be coming to my house. Should have sent it to amazon locker. Couldn't resist the 20% discount.

Yeah, I'm debating actually downloading it on Friday and then keeping a sealed copy.

My one concern, though, is if there's ever a need to do any save file editing (like if there's DLC locked content that is no longer supported...now where have I heard of that happening before...?!)  If I have the save file on my 3DS's hard drive, instead of the cart, is that easier to access than the current NDS Adaptor method, or more difficult?  Sounds easier, but I've never done anything like that before.  Are save files stored on a micro-SD, or can I access them with the USB charger connecting the 3DS to a laptop?

Edited by Liamland

Well, if I go to NintendoNY on Friday, it's a guarantee that there will be some Dragon Quest advertising there...

Yeah, I'm debating actually downloading it on Friday and then keeping a sealed copy.

My one concern, though, is if there's ever a need to do any save file editing (like if there's DLC locked content that is no longer supported...now where have I heard of that happening before...?!)  If I have the save file on my 3DS's hard drive, instead of the cart, is that easier to access than the current NDS Adaptor method, or more difficult?  Sounds easier, but I've never done anything like that before.  Are save files stored on a micro-SD, or can I access them with the USB charger connecting the 3DS to a laptop?

Save files for download games are stored on the SD card, but cannot be accessed via the charger port. You can either remove the card and use a memory card reader, or if it's a New 3DS there is a method for connecting to Windows over your wireless network (I did this last week and was surprised to discover that Windows 10 is not supported). 

Additionally, if you have a 3DS game on a cartridge and then buy the download version down the road, there is a tool to transfer the save from your cart over to the SD card. This erases the save on the cart, though. 

Edited by Excitemike

Reasons I didn't opt for the downloadable version was due to the size of the game, the price and the fact it's available in physical version. Having downloaded Ace Attorney 6 last week (which I should be able to beat by Friday), I realized I don't have as much space left. A lot is probably demos but I'm sure any other Ace Attorney games if released on there will also be downloadable only. Also couldn't resist price as it was 20% cheaper and I'm still a fan of physical media so if there's an option, I would rather have that.

I assume that if the game is physical then it is saved to the cart and if digital it goes to the SD card. I don't know much about which version would be easier for you or how to do it. I heard that you can download certain lithographs as you progress but I'm not totally sure. Something about a McDonalds having one of them in Japan. I would think that if the 3ds servers go offline, then it will be the same as DQ9 for those maps.

Edit: Hmmm, odd that I didn't see Excitemike's post when I posted. Good thing someone knows how to do that. As for why it doesn't work with Windows 10, it's probably cause it's Windows 10. I have heard people having issues with that OS. Sadly I have it, but haven't noticed any programs stop working.

Edited by Destructor526

Oh wow.  I hadn't thought about the size, but you're right.  It must take up a ton of space.  Maybe I'll wait for my preorder, or try to snag one the day of at NintendoNY.

...btw, I keep wanting to write Nintendo World.  That's gonna wear off after awhile I suppose.

Well we have been going there for a while and that's what it was called. I didn't even remember what the new name was.

I have the regular XL and never updated the SD card so that's probably why I am running out of space. Since I haven't downloaded much, never seemed prudent to switch and I can imagine it being a problem to transfer data to the new card and its saves.

My package did ship yesterday from VA so it should be here tomorrow but I just remembered that UPS has delivered things at different times. Usually it's the afternoon but I have seen deliveries as late as 8PM so I might not even have the game when I get home. So it's looking less likely that I will be there tomorrow. Tuesday though I should be around.