Sign in to follow this  
Griever

DQV mobile has been announced

This seems to be the Japanese announcement.  Anyway, it's on Siliconera.com...  I can't ever get anything to paste on here, or I would provide the link.

• Upvote 1

Here is the news. Very sparse on details though.  They don't even mention which version it will based on (though we are all likely pretty certain 4 - 6 will all be based on the DS version).

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.  Hopefully more info and some screenshots surface soon.

Do we even have a launch date for DQIII mobile yet?

Edited by Liamland

No.  If it was keeping with the pattern set by DQ1 and DQ2 it would have come out last Thursday.  Instead, they are waiting longer this time, either by intended design or as a result of last-minute debugging to avoid a DQ2-esque bug-a-thon (or for some completely different reason).  Still, we need DQ5 to come out in Japan so they can get it over here sometime shortly thereafter.  I see it as highly unlikely that we would get a mobile game before Japan does, so the first necessary step is releasing in Japan.   

It could be because DQ3 has a lot more (the x8 was an estimated guess, but there are considerably more...larger towns/castles, more towns, the first game with extra text from several groups of NPCs, such as Jipang and Samanao) NPCs than DQ2, and with them more text.

Anyway, would be nice if DQ5 happened to be the PS2 version.

Edited by ignasia7

I'm guessing DQV will be the DS version.

Does DQV PS2 even have the TNT boards?

Yeah, it would be quite the surprise if they didn't do the DS.  That seems like the "easy" choice. 

As for TnT in DQ5 PS2, it's in there.  They even have Starkers as a prize for winning the last one.

I disagree unless someone heard something official about DS being the obvious choice for 5. Also, Dragon Quest 3 might be taking its time because Dragon Quest 2 is far longer than Dragon Quest 1. I have yet to finish this version of DQ 2 even though I am quite far in it.

Edited by Slimeknight

I'm hoping for PS2 with my favorite "bonus content" being available. Otherwise give me the DS version all the way (though I am a little curious to try out the PS2 version to compare and contrast)

If it is the DS version then there is no need for me to get excited unless there are some changes because I already have that one.

Is this the state of video game journalism where the writer just paraphrases the story making sure to spoil the game and takes up the majority of the article? I played through the game before so I am not spoiled but geez. On Yahoo they are spoiling the next Star Wars movie by telling key plot holes in the headlines.

It wouldn't be hard for them to do the ps2 version on the engine they already have. Gameplay's the same, so they could just use the models and textures from the ps2 version in the current engine. The only extra work would be to support 3D characters and monsters (which theoretically would be very easy - just swap out the sprite call functions with model call functions) and to create a set of models and textures for Deborah. Insert the DS script, and you're golden.

There is no way they'll port the PS2 version of V for one reason: they want to release VI and possibly VII afterwards and the last thing they'll want is for V to look far better that the next two games.

Plus they mention D's so yeah DS version. If you think otherwise you're silly. And more than likely wrong

Plus they mention D's so yeah DS version. If you think otherwise you're silly. And more than likely wrong

Siliconera's article mentioned Deborah.  There is NOTHING in the original Japanese press release that indicates which version.  NOTHING.

Now do I think DQV Mobile is more likely the DS version?  Yes, because unlike with DQ1-3, where the GBC version was graphically and musically the lesser game, and thus less appealing, so the SFC versions were used and enhanced, the DS versions are actually graphically appealing (though the PS2 version is WAY better looking...I mean wow, the level of detail in monster designs just blows DQ8 out of the water, and is arguably the prettiest Dragon Quest, followed by 7 3DS, then 8, then 6 DS, then 3 Mobile, then 3 SFC, then 9 DS, then 6 SFC...and so on).  It's appealing and pleasing to the senses.

There is no way they'll port the PS2 version of V for one reason: they want to release VI and possibly VII afterwards and the last thing they'll want is for V to look far better that the next two games.

Yet VII, if it's the 3DS version, is easily the second best looking Dragon Quest ever made, after DQV PS2, and is on par for musical quality with DQ V PS2.  Not to mention has better looking, more shapely character models, in the fashion of DQVIII, unlike DQV PS2.  Plus the vistas, the camera, the enemies on screen, all give a more vibrant world and greater overall appeal for atmosphere than DQV PS or DS, in terms of mass appeal, whatever any Dragon Quest fan may feel about the changes.

So I'm not so sure, based on that.  Again, this assumes the 3DS release of DQVII.

There's an argument with Dragon Quest VI and IV, but then VI DS, while not having some of the SFX used in V carried through, like the fog effects, is still a good looking game.  Plus we have DQVIII, and DQVII is most likely the 3DS, which both upstage the DS Zenithian releases, in the graphical department at least.

Nevermind that even if the PS2 version were used, it would likely be downgraded: DQ III and DQ VIII are testimony to this treatment.

Here's another point to consider.  Are they billing the individual games of DQ1 and II, with highlights that it is part of a separate trilogy from all DQ games that come after.  Are they doing this with Dragon Quest IV?

Whatever the case may be, I do think it more likely they'll choose the DS, if only because the game engine of IV DS was already adapted, and V DS is directly based on it, rather than on V PS2, which was made by a different company.  So there are bound to be differences, and it would be cheaper, easier, and faster to port the DS.  I'll grant the argument of visual consistency in light of DQ IV and DQ VI though, as playing a likely factor.  Oh, and one last element.  DQV DS, content-wise, is the more complete game, and there are too many poster all about Deborah as being one of the trio, which makes it more likely to be the chosen version.  Then again, DQIII had content needlessly cut...it's not like the game would've been too large.  So I expect some things to disappear in DQV Mobile, maybe TnT, in favour of something like increased Medal drops...or maybe we get lucky and it's relatively untouched contentwise like 1, 2, 4, and 8.

Edited by ignasia7

DQV DS is pretty much the PS2 version, with obvious changes to the graphics and with the addition of Deborah and (maybe) the Knick Knackatory (not sure if that was in the PS2 version or not). I'd be fine with either version, but unless the mobile version has something new to it I don't see myself getting it since I do already have the DS version.

DQV DS is pretty much the PS2 version, with obvious changes to the graphics and with the addition of Deborah and (maybe) the Knick Knackatory (not sure if that was in the PS2 version or not). I'd be fine with either version, but unless the mobile version has something new to it I don't see myself getting it since I do already have the DS version.

Knick knacks are in the PS2.  The DS only adds 2 monsters (Archdemon and Jailcat) and Deborah to my knowledge.  KZ has the differences down by wrote though:

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15578

Apparently the PS2 version has no Archdemon enemy either...which would make the DS harder, since Archdemon is one of the top 3 hardest monsters to handle in the game, but the PS2 is generally more difficult.

Here too, scroll down to post #6:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/942423-dragon-quest-v-hand-of-the-heavenly-bride/67692840

Edited by ignasia7

Why would they take out TnT in V? They left the immigrant town in 4.

Maybe because they took T'n'T out of DQ3 in the mobile release, despite having it for the SFC and GBC versions?  Not sure why they did that, but they did.

@ignasia7 - Really, the PS2 version had the Knick Knackatory, huh? That's actually kind of cool.  And thanks for the links on the differences.

Why would they take out TnT in V? They left the immigrant town in 4.

As KZ stated, we have no way of knowing WHY, until someone says something in an interview, the Pachisi tracks were removed in III.  However, compared to the Immigrant Town, Pachisi/T'n'T comprises a lot more content, and a lot of various details as it's an entirely separate game with many of its own rules and there are a ton of elements to consider.  Immigrant Town is very simplistic by comparison.  The only complex element was the tag system, and that's removed.  Heck, the only "new" system and objects/functions in Immigrant Town was the tag system.  Talking to immigrants and leaving the room to find they're no longer there, and in the town is not outside of the code present in the rest of the game, so it requires substantially less work to transfer that system over.

I would imagine Pachisi was dropped simply because of all the elements, and the timing of release.  They probably wanted to get it out in a certain time, and just said fudge it.  You have to account for die rolls, for ? tiles, for ! tiles, for drops and the battle system generator, the tile search system, the ticket drops as an extra system of drops on top of the innate drop system and steal system.  Um there are a few other minor elements, but the main thing is Pachisi was its own full and complete game within a game.

DQV only adds to what DQIII started, so I imagine it would taken out.  I mean DQIII was the flagship title of the DQ franchise, that no DQ had managed to outsell until VII came along, and they were willing to cut out that much from what is essentially THE DQ game of DQ games.  THE most defining game of the whole series.

Who knows though.  They could always add in Pachisi later if they wanted (doubtful) to DQ3, but then they're reorganized the code and items to reflect the loss, so this is very unlikely, bordering on never.  Also depends on how much time/money they gave to DQ5's production.  We'll know soon enough.

From what I understand though, DQ3 is based off a mobile phone port, and not the SNES port in trueness, right?

The mobile release of 3 back in the day was a straight NES port?

I think it was the Super Famicom version.

Edited by Slimeknight

Whatever the case may be, I do think it more likely they'll choose the DS, if only because the game engine of IV DS was already adapted, and V DS is directly based on it, rather than on V PS2, which was made by a different company.

DQ7PSX, DQ4PSX, DQ5PS2, DQ4DS, DQ5DS, DQ6DS, and (I think) DQ4iOS were all developed by ArtePiazza.

LOL, and we call ourselves DQ fans!  C'mon guys!

Ok, DQ3 SFC and DQ3 Mobile are the same game, minus elements from the SFC that were cut out, and added equipment to the Medal collector in the Aliahan Well.

DQV PS2 is Matrix Software, NOT Arte Piazza.  I was wrong, sorry Erdrick.

Edited by ignasia7

Sign in to follow this