Sign in to follow this  
eal

Anyone going Black Friday shopping...?

It's been a tradition the last few years for me to go Black Friday shopping. I know it gets a lot of press for being ABSOLUTELY BONKERS, to the point that most stores open at 1:00 AM, but it's been for the benefit of normal people like me, who gets a good nights sleep and goes out at 12:00 in the afternoon and comes home with a handful of good games and movies at a reasonable price.

In all honesty, unless you're a psychopath who wants to get in as early as possible to make sure you're the one who gets one of two available 19-inch TVs for $98 there's really nothing that's in danger of running out of stock so there's no reason to go rush in at such an early time. The irony, of course, is that store's open early for the people who want to get there as early as possible, but by the time 9:00 rolls around, most of them have cleared out, and it gives the normal shoppers more breathing room and fewer a-holes to wade through.

And aside from maybe one or two moments of selfishness, I've yet to encounter any crazies or outlandish lines so I've often found myself enjoying the hunt for cheap stuff.

That being said, if you do go out shopping on Black Friday, please be polite and courteous to the poor retail workers who have had to suffer through wave after wave of douchenozzles.

But anyways, anyone else gonna go out Black Friday shopping on Nov. 28th?

Hell no I ain't going!

Even on years that I have Black Friday off, no way I'm gonna put up with all those loons!

• Upvote 1

We used to go, but with online shopping I hardly go to the store for gifts the way it is :)

• Upvote 2

I avoid all those crowds at all costs, and just try to buy everything online now.

• Upvote 1

I usually use Cyber Monday to do my actual Christmas shopping because it's a lot easier to slip a package past someone then a bag of stuff I bought on Black Friday, especially since I usually go shopping with at least one other family member or friend I buy Christmas gifts for.

There's also a bit of randomness to shopping on Black Friday. Ads will tell you what's on sale, but individual stores might try to use it as an opportunity to get rid of any leftover inventory they don't want but you might not find at another store and will mark it down to go along with the rest of the Black Friday deals offered by the company. My nearby Walmart in particular still has PlayStation 2 games on display.....

Edited by eal

Playstation 2 is still supported though, at least the system is.  There are a few stores that skill carry new PS2's in my area.  Have to wonder for how long...

Anyway, no.  I've never gone, I refuse to go, and I find it a deplorable scene watching as people act like animals, over stuff.  The injuries, police calls, near riots, death counts is absurd.  People getting literally trampled, punched, stomped on, knifed, shot...over what?  Stuff that's on sale?  It's just another element showing we're only picking up the scraps on the table as this country loses the foundation that made it possible for people to make money, and the middle class further shrinks into obscurity.

I like shopping online though, and Cyber Monday is always good.  Usually has better sales than Black Friday.

I had to run a queue line a couple years ago when I was a Dept. Manager at Walmart. It was mellow in my area despite the busy rush. However, I heard the store manager say over the walkie "We need the police officer to electronics right now!"

I reckon no one'll be surprised to hear that. Its always the big name electronics that folks get mugged over.

Did years ago. Haven't in a decade or so and won't. I feel bad for the employees. I'm that jackass that when people post on Facebook about where they are at 4am, I mention how sad it must be for the people working just so they can be out shopping. Haha. I'm a righteous jerk.

Black Friday is when a tornado struck Edmonton in 1987.

I've never gone to a Black Friday sale (I don't even think many places around here do that). Boxing Day is the big sale day and I still don't go to that either.

Did years ago. Haven't in a decade or so and won't. I feel bad for the employees. I'm that jackass that when people post on Facebook about where they are at 4am, I mention how sad it must be for the people working just so they can be out shopping. Haha. I'm a righteous jerk.

Speaking as a retail worker spending 9 hours working on Black Friday, your sympathy is much appreciated.

Speaking as a retail worker spending 9 hours working on Black Friday, your sympathy is much appreciated.
I've been on a Facebook tirade lately. The governors race in FL was between two horrible people and then there's the Satanists trying to pass out coloring books to kids to push freedom of religion points. Listen, I'm all for the Bill of Rights, but if we're going to censor some speech and we can't all go around carrying machine guns on plain sight, I think maybe atheists, Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc maybe can agree Satanic coloring books may be pushing it. I should probably reign in my opinions a bit, but Meh, I'm having fun.

Shopping to save $10 while keeping people from their family sucks.

That being said, I'm gonna be wishing people a Happy Holiday for the whole month just because I know it will get some people going and be like, "It's MERRY CHRISTMAS."

I'm going the day after black friday to pick up a necklace for my stepmother. I almost bought it today (it was 10% off) but on that saturday it will be 20% off, so, I put it on hold until then. Otherwise, cyber monday or nothing.

Very occasionally I'll go out on Black Friday, but usually after the mad rush has ended.  I try to be nice to all the clerks and staff any time I'm in a store.  Last time I went out on black Friday one of the clerks told me that I was the first person to be nice all day and I was like, "Really?"

Sad.

Edited by The Mystical One

Eal, I used to work retail on Black Friday as well, and Starbucks, I used to open (and was the guy everyone gave their unwanted shifts to, so often I'd close but not on Thanksgiving, thankfully).  Anyway, I don't recall which one I hated more.  Black Friday was a 3am opening, I guess for those who just finished their shopping and wanted some coffee to go back out...and shop some more, or for the spouse who wanted coffee to bring to his/her wife/husband.  Man those lines were long on Black Friday, and so impatient.  It was a mess, I recall out the door, around the block just for coffee.  No way to take a break in 4, maybe 5 hours, until the line started thinning a little.  Then it's about a 10 minute window until the next line would spawn, from nowhere, as the late-to-the-party shoppers came around, along with most of the regulars.

Though, people were actually never rude to me when I worked at Radioshack on Black Friday, just at Starbucks.  Some were definitely brisk, but wow, the crowds were nuts either way, then again, the only BF I worked at Radioshack was back in '03, when people were in greater solidarity over 9/11, so perhaps that was the main reason for the friendly, and more considerate attitude.

Anyway Platty, that doesn't make you a jerk.  Sympathy is well needed for those who work on that day of days.  Though I now pity those who do shop on Black Friday, as they give into the consumerist culture that doesn't really benefit them, since there are often better sales leading into christmas on most of the worthwhile goods, just have to keep watch.

If your Walmart has a self-checkout station and you're shopping on Black Friday, checkout there instead.

• Upvote 1

Never been shopping on Black Friday, but I've had to work it the past 3 years (soon to be 4). I usually do the early morning shift (6 AM to 3 PM), as there aren't a lot of people who shop at the mall at that point.  That way I can get in, work my shift, then get out in the afternoon and take a nap.  I've never had any bad experiences while working on Black Friday, but one year I did have a guy get real upset he couldn't use his limited time coupon.

I've never really done Cyber Monday shopping either, but this year I might.

Me and my sister are going to buy some games at the local mall. I forgot how crazy Black Friday is. Jeez....