Kenshin Dragon Quest Doesn't work

Hi guys!

This is my first post so let me introduce myself: I'm Xavi, from Barcelona :D

[i'm posting this in the general as I do not know exactly where it fits...]

I always came to this website to find good material and to solve some questions I hope you can help me out this time too :)

A few days ago I bought Kenshin dragon quest (http://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Kenshin_Dragon_Quest) and I was REEEEEEALLY excited about playing it. I plugged it on my TV and pointed the sword towards the screen... but it didn't work.

The machine plugged in the TV is working but the problem seems to be the sword (the controller).

As it is independent from de console, I thought that maybe it has some batteries inside but as it is sealed (and it's an awesome sword) I don't want to break it to find it out... if anyone can help me before!!

Has anyone been playing it? Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone "changed" the batteries of this sword?

I looked for hours in the internet but didn't find anything......T_T 

Many many thanks in advanced!!

It is the reflection of the sword that the system uses to figure out it's position. There is no batteries for the sword. While the angle would be wrong you could theoretically use a roll of aluminum foil in it's place. Because of that though the game does not do well in rooms with a lot of natural sunlight. Try at night and see if that helps. Also turning off any lamp that might be shining on the screen.

Many many many thanks Mimas for your fast reply!!

Tried in the dark..with aluminum roll... didn't work T_T 

Now I'm sure I'm doing sth wrong... or maybe there is a problem with the receptor...

There are 4 red lights always on in the machine. is it OK? also.. could it be problem of the TV? not shure why but....T_T

Many thanks again!!

It doesn't use a system like the old Super Scope 6 did does it? Couldn't figure out for the longest time why I couldn't get it to work, found out it doesn't work with LCDs, you have to have a CRT type TV.

Could this be the same thing?

Didn't work.....T_T

I'm starting to think that there is actually a problem with the receptors in the machine.. but they're open while playing (I see 4 red lights)...

• 6 years later...

I just got this off Mercari and I'm having the exact same problem. I can't get past the sword calibration screen. It's almost like the sword itself isn't on, or the sensors aren't reading the sword properly. It seems like a common problem according to this OP and various YouTube comments, but I haven't seen any real solutions.

I tried wrapping tin foil around the sword in case the shiny paint on the sword has rubbed off over time, but this did not resolve the issue. I don't believe it's an HD vs. CRT TV issue because the four sensor lights are on the little Kenshin DQ mini console. The TV screen and sword do not interact with each other at all, from what it looks like. It's similar to Nintendo Wii in that respect and not like an NES Zapper/Duck Hunt game.

Has anyone else seen this problem with Kenshin Dragon Quest and found a solution? I'd hate to have to haggle with the guy on Mercari or junk it and take a $40 loss. It would be dishonorable for me to sell a broken toy to someone else just to get rid of it.

kenshin-dq-troubleshooting.thumb.png.905f43076cc5e217aa041056dfb369e9.png

Posted to Twitter to see if anyone else could get it to work.

I have to rethink a few things...unfortunately, no one takes photos of both sides of the sword, and no one seems to take photos of every side of the box, just the front. 

That little slightly translucent section above the hilt is designed for position mechanics, not sure if it's reflection, or if it sends back data via its own infrared.  I'm wondering if there is a flat lithium battery, like a CR2032, in the sword (given the timeline of when it was released, this would be when those batteries tend to give out).  Watching a few videos of it working, I realize I was wrong, in terms of the reflection on the blade being a thing, but tin foil would definitely be counter productive (and would never work normally, as it would never allow the light to bounce back accurately, it would just go all over the place).

I don't have one to check into it, and I don't feel like the expense, but I'm getting the feeling there is likely a battery in the Sword.

Edited by ignasia
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know where my video cable for it has gone so I can't test how it currently is working, but I think you got a bum device. Looking for information there is some talk of broken devices floating around the used market for a while in Japan.

This person was trying to repair one. They don't seem to have made much progress but it might be worth contacting them to see if they ever figured it out.

This page shows how the inside is put together and assembled, so it might help in an attempt to fix it.

And as proof that the sword isn't needed, here is someone who replaced it with dumbbells.

Back when I was playing it I really did try the foil. It was not as accurate but it could get a response from the machine.

• Like 1

Ha, that is awesome using the dumbbells for the game :)

13 hours ago, Mimas said:

I don't know where my video cable for it has gone so I can't test how it currently is working, but I think you got a bum device. Looking for information there is some talk of broken devices floating around the used market for a while in Japan.

This person was trying to repair one. They don't seem to have made much progress but it might be worth contacting them to see if they ever figured it out.

This page shows how the inside is put together and assembled, so it might help in an attempt to fix it.

And as proof that the sword isn't needed, here is someone who replaced it with dumbbells.

Back when I was playing it I really did try the foil. It was not as accurate but it could get a response from the machine.

That's amazing about the dumbells!

Thanks for the theory about the sword, @ignasia. I don't want to break it open to find out, but if dumbells work then I think we can rule the sword out as the issue. I had long since suspected it was the sensor, based on the foiled sword offering no change from the regular sword.

So the problem is more than likely the sensor then. @Mimas I appreciate the article about the assembly. I think I'll give it a try, just opening it up and making sure all the parts are there. I'll also try to reach out to the other contact you mentioned, to see if they made any progress. Thanks, all!

• Like 1