Sign in to follow this  
dormando

DQX 3DS working.

http://www.dormando.me/2014/11/09/3ds_dqx/

Long boring details + a video of without/with proxy and me talking like I'm half asleep.

Setting up a transparent proxy is a bit involved sadly. Hoping to be able to nag someone at square to bump the window size up, as it'll help all users. :(

Also I didn't note in the blog or video, but the VPN is only required when first logging in (but before clicking through to online/offline mode). You can shut it off for a more direct connection. With my VPN on it won't even connect at all. I need to optimize that as a separate project :P

Nice analysis, although I'm curious why you say you need a VPN. I've been able to connect without one several times, although I do usually get the error message about not having a fast enough connection. 

I'll be joining you guys with the 3DS version (as a secondary, mind you) when my copy arrives sometime this week.  (I'll be able to comment on your guide then.)

I have the New 3DS, do we know if it works better or not?

It gives you a different error if you authenticate without the VPN (some 3xx thing instead of 2xx? I didn't read it carefullyu).. but it doesn't always authenticate.

I've logged in/out, and so long as I don't close the DQX app it'll let me keep going in without the IP check. If I close the app and then try to log in without the VPN it never lets me (though I didn't try too many times). Also if the game bails from a connection error it seems to need the VPN again to get back in.

I've taken the IP blocks associated with square's ASN and routed just them to the VPN as a compromise. Since the 3DS streaming service is from Ubitus and has separate blocks, the auth section always goes through the VPN but main game doesn't. This has a side effect of not having to flip the VPN on/off when I play on PC or Wii too :)

Sadly, although I get what the issue is in theory, the details of your post are fairly lost on me, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to implement it for myself. As it is, the game is unplayable on 3DS on the rare occasions I can connect, and most of the time I can't. I wonder if there is a way to simulate what you've done on your router on a PC with internet sharing (with the PC connected directly to the modem), since the router solution seems unfeasible for me at the present.

Edited by Aeana

If you're running linux on that PC it's easy (or I was contemplating a raspberry Pi build with a wifi adapter plugged into it)... If it's windows or OS X I'd have to research into how to set up a transparent proxy, if it's possible at all. What're you using?

All you need to do is route the 3DS through "a thing" that can do the transparent proxying... but as I said in the post it's a bit difficult. I want to set up an rPi build so I can game at work on late nights, but if you don't already have most of the parts an rpi + case + power brick + wifi adapter + ethernet cord might run close to $100 :(

I'm using Windows. OSX is also an option, but I don't have any Linux machines. I did some searches for Windows transparent proxies, and there are lots of different results, but I don't know which are relevant.

Hmm.. I'll do some googling later to see if there're windows thingies that are close.

Looks like OS X can do it as well (the firewall rules are pretty similar).. What you need to find is a proxy that isn't HTTP centric, or has a "plain tcp" mode, which is what I'm doing with haproxy on my router. It's not quite clear if haproxy supports the OSX method of transparent proxying sadly. It doesn't need any complicated configurations, it just needs to do the proxying and the defaults are usually a lot more sane for the proxy than for the 3DS.

searching for "transparent proxy os x" has a good amount of results. A quick look for windows shows some stuff using Squid (which is an http cache). Maybe I'll find some later, or you'll luck out first.

Good luck! Wish I could be of more use getting other people going :(

Edited by dormando

This is intriguing. I wonder how well i could do this using windows 7..

I can tweak a proxy script i found online to get the traffic routed properly, it worked great when one of the private world of warcraft servers i used to play on went TOR due to ddos attacks. Then just route dns traffic to it and it becomes none the wiser. I might not get nearly the same performance that you got, but if it works under win7 we could get more peeps to try it.

Well, I tried looking and I really don't have any idea what fits the requirements and what doesn't.  haproxy seems to be available for OSX. Maybe I could just use that?

Unfortunately haproxy only knows how to use Linux's transparent proxy support.

We'll find something! Might just take some effort.

I demand all us programmers combine our powers and create a solution. C#! Java! .... By your powers combined I am DQX!

That's all I got. Thanks for posting this.

I demand all us programmers combine our powers and create a solution. C#! Java! .... By your powers combined I am DQX!

That's all I got. Thanks for posting this.

I've got to admit, the sheer percentage of us on this team is quite surprising..lol.

So far, I have been unable to connect at all.  I keep getting the DQU-010-204-X error, which I believe is the speed issue.

Hey guys, I tried this again today, and I got in!  (For the record, I was not on the VPN at all, and made no modifications to my router.)

I'm not sure if it was the last patch, if the cable company fixed something when they were out there last week for a TV issue, or if I just got lucky, but those of you who tried and failed should consider giving it another shot.

As for me, I'm hoping it continues to work, as it would be quite nice to be able to play V3 on the 3DS while I wait for my Wii U copy to come in.

Edited by MKVarana

Generally the biggest hurdle is the connection speed requirement. You need something like 3mbps to the datacenter consistently.

I never got the 3ds version to work. I tried again today. The network test fails with no detailed information. Do you think the router modifications listed above would help?

Hey guys, I tried this again today, and I got in!  (For the record, I was not on the VPN at all, and made no modifications to my router.)

I'm not sure if it was the last patch, if the cable company fixed something when they were out there last week for a TV issue, or if I just got lucky, but those of you who tried and failed should consider giving it another shot.

As for me, I'm hoping it continues to work, as it would be quite nice to be able to play V3 on the 3DS while I wait for my Wii U copy to come in.

I noticed there was an app update and after I updated and did a network test. It succeeded for the first time since I bought the thing months ago. Unfortunately, my free time is long gone. How does it run? Can you read the in-game text on the small screen? I figure I'll do a few network tests over the next day or two and then decide whether to try it out.

I can read the text well enough so far, but it's no where near as clear as it could be.

It has HORRIBLE input lag, though, so I can't recommend it for anything other than a supplement.

I wish I could've figured out how to apply dormando's improvements, because they sound like they really helped.

I can read the text well enough so far, but it's no where near as clear as it could be.

It has HORRIBLE input lag, though, so I can't recommend it for anything other than a supplement.

Hmm. It's very expensive as a supplement. There seems to be a 3 day pass so maybe I'll buy that to try it out.

When I linked my square account this morning, it gave me a few hours playing time. I only played a little bit but it seems passable. The text can be blurry in some cases depending on the background. I didn't battle yet so I can't comment on that yet. I'll play some more later.

Generally the biggest hurdle is the connection speed requirement. You need something like 3mbps to the datacenter consistently.

I have high speed internet but I couldn't even connect until I used the proxy so it's not the only factor.

Edit: Just checked myself and I can connect without using a proxy! Still a bit of lag but it's not too bad.

Edited by Chris

I bought a 3 day pass the other day. The biggest issue is that the controls are a bit loose/laggy. Try using your board in a dungeon and avoiding the monsters is a real chore.