Sign in to follow this  
Omegaplex

Dragon Quest III is coming; V & VI coming?

I would think that Dragon Quest III, V, and VI are all shoe-ins for a mobile port, since we know III is coming and V and VI already have localizations done.

Dragon Quest VII is still a long shot, since there's no modern localization and Squenix is still apparently hand-wringing about doing a proper localization for it. NOW would be the time, since they could bring it to 3DS AND mobile in the future.

But I had a thought - since Nintendo apparently did the localization for DQ6, does that mean Nintendo owns the translation to that game? Does that mean VI might not get a Western release because Squenix doesn't own a proper translation? What do you all think?

Nintendo may have signed on to Publish the game, but SE organized who would do the translation, and would have full ownership of the localization (you'll notice there is no copyright to Nintendo of any kind, meaning Nintendo has zero rights to the game, and their publishing status is only under contract).  So basically even though Nintendo published, SE retained publishing rights ;), which happens with a few 3rd party, much like now Capcom retained publishing rights to BoF1, when Square published the game for them in the US.

Plus Alpha, the team that worked on DQ8, DQ: Joker, DQ4 + 5 DS, and DQ9, did almost half of DQ6, and while I'm not sure exactly what happened, but the translation work was turned over to 8-4 to finish it off.  Likely because SE originally hired Plus Alpha, and when Nintendo took over, they organized to switch the team to 8-4.  8-4, btw, is an independent firm, much like Plus Alpha.  To this day, the only in-house Nintendo translation is Dragon Warrior 1 for the NES ;).

I'd say 5 and 6 are a shoe-in.  Heck, I'd still go out on a limb and say, given the attention SE has been giving DQ7, and their patterns, DQ7 is a definite go, just a matter of when they're done and ready, and all of the hullabaloo is a counter campaign, much like how some restaurants generate buzz by saying no one can eat there.  So people go...Waaaah, NO, we want! 

This hasn't exactly been an extremely successful campaign, but it has assured some smaller news outlets have written stories, though I don't think any of them have gotten the hint, or pay much attention to patterns, and there has been quite a bit of fan outcry.  Even though fan outcry is failing hard mostly BECAUSE the main outlet for it refuses to change it's name so people can actually FIND the damn thing.

(that or they're basing their analysis on the fact that SE has been changing, and thus this could mean diddly-squat, which is very possible, and yet why mention it when there are plenty of other games still stuck in Japan that fans have been asking for?  None of which have seen the barest mention, not even a potential virtual release and translation of any other Enix published series...series that Enix would currently be the only rights holder as most of the companies who held developer rights have been disbanded are are now defunct).

Do we have much info on how the DS versions of V and VI sold outside of Japan? I mean I'm guessing V sold like $#!& and that's why it's expensive now, but what about VI?

I'd suspect that whether we get mobile versions of V and VI will be decided based on how much the mobile version of IV sold, plus how well V and VI on DS did.

DQV sufferred from a low quantity print run after DQIV was over-produced (numbers-wise), that's why it's expensive.  They did do a reprint in the US, but not a huge amount.

I think VI did fairly well, mostly riding on the coattails of DQIX. But it seemed to have a reasonably-sized print run.

I'm not sure if i am gonna get anymore of the DQ games for the time being due to the issue i am having with DQ1 and DQ2 as its no guarantee that the remaining ones won't have the same issue.

DQ 5&6 will use the same engine as 4 and there didn't seem to be many problems with it. 3 however, will use the same as 1&2 so there may be problems with it. I guess I've been lucky because I haven't had ant problems with any of the DQ mobile games.

DQ 5&6 will use the same engine as 4 and there didn't seem to be many problems with it. 3 however, will use the same as 1&2 so there may be problems with it. I guess I've been lucky because I haven't had ant problems with any of the DQ mobile games.

Well square-enix thinks its a third party app  on my device that's causing my issues. I disagree so nothing more i can do with support and I do hope developers find something within the game that's causing these issues and fixes it.  I can play the game in safe-mode but not in non safe-mode and i just don't see anything at least that i can find that is causing conflicts.

I never had problems with IV though.

Edited by sounderfan84

Solution: Uninstall all third-party apps, then see if the problem goes away.  If it doesn't, load them back up and send another email to support.

Solution: Uninstall all third-party apps, then see if the problem goes away.  If it doesn't, load them back up and send another email to support.

DQ 1 and 2 only two apps still on there and  yep still crashing.  Only thing i can think off is hardware compatibility issue or a bug in the game engine for dq 1 and 2.

I still don't get it why its not crashing when i am in safe-mode.   That's what is making them suggest its a 3rd part app issue.

Edited by sounderfan84

I think DQ6 had a pretty solid translation, and never at any point did I feel the quality was any different than any other part of the game. So although I loved the Plus Alpha work, apparently 8-4 is also a very competent firm.

I think DQ5/6 (barring issues with translation rights) are both a sure-thing, regardless of how well any of the other DQ games sell. Why? Because there's no work to be done. All the programming and porting work will be done for the Japanese releases. This is one of those rare cases where all they have to do is copy/paste the existing translations, and drop in on the mobile store(s). The amount of work to do specifically for release outside Japan is laughably minimal. Heck, they've had to put more work into the DQ1-3 releases, because THOSE actually required translating. And they did it.

The only one I'm really concerned about is DQ7. I mean, if they're too worried about translating costs for a 3DS release - that would easily sell into the hundreds of thousands, if Bravely Default is any indication - than they certainly won't translate it specifically for a platform that will probably go well under 100k lifetime.

But you have to also consider that mobile platforms have extremely long lifespans. DQ4-6 have long been off the shelf, but an Android release can be sitting on Play Store, with no overhead costs, no printing costs, no manufacturing costs... and be there for literally *years.* Mobile platforms are long-term investments.

Publishing DQ7 for 3DS, and having that proper translation for legacy projects in the future, would be hugely wise in the long-run. It would give them some revenues now, more on the mobile platform, and have a good, competent translation ready for any future releases (like they'll enjoy with the DQ4-6 and DQ8 mobile releases).

Anyway, now I'm rambling :) But the thought of getting DQ1-8 all in my pocket is... appealing. I just think putting DQ7 on 3DS AND mobile is the best course, for now and future work.

Thoughts?

On the DQ1-3 releases and bugs... Unless I'm mistaken, the DQ1-2 releases are ports from VERY early mobile releases - like, circa 2005 - unless they redid them (again) for Japan, and then brought those new versions over here.

That said, Square Enix has had some - if not a ton of - support for their mobile issues. They've recently added cloud saving to several bigger titles (FF5/6), and they do come back around to work on bugs.

But this goes back to that 'minimal investment' mentality. The DQ games on mobile are minimal investments. Aside from localizing 1-3, they could just copy/paste DQ4-6/8. All the programming was already done for Japan's releases. No manufacturing costs or distribution costs of ANY kind saves a mountain of money. Coming back to such titles for updates and re-programming does take money and time. I do think it'll happen, but I also think Square Enix's mobile support team is small and obviously stretched thin, so it may be awhile.

I also happen to know that DQ1-2 (and probably 3) don't support 1440 resolution, so new screens like the LG GS3 and Galaxy Note 4 can't run them... at all. They need updates. Coming? Probably... but not sure how soon. But to be fair, the games DID just come out. Updates probably start in Japan, and then, again, because the work was already done, it's easy and cheap to bring it overseas, too.

My 2c

On the DQ1-3 releases and bugs... Unless I'm mistaken, the DQ1-2 releases are ports from VERY early mobile releases - like, circa 2005 - unless they redid them (again) for Japan, and then brought those new versions over here.

That said, Square Enix has had some - if not a ton of - support for their mobile issues. They've recently added cloud saving to several bigger titles (FF5/6), and they do come back around to work on bugs.

But this goes back to that 'minimal investment' mentality. The DQ games on mobile are minimal investments. Aside from localizing 1-3, they could just copy/paste DQ4-6/8. All the programming was already done for Japan's releases. No manufacturing costs or distribution costs of ANY kind saves a mountain of money. Coming back to such titles for updates and re-programming does take money and time. I do think it'll happen, but I also think Square Enix's mobile support team is small and obviously stretched thin, so it may be awhile.

I also happen to know that DQ1-2 (and probably 3) don't support 1440 resolution, so new screens like the LG GS3 and Galaxy Note 4 can't run them... at all. They need updates. Coming? Probably... but not sure how soon. But to be fair, the games DID just come out. Updates probably start in Japan, and then, again, because the work was already done, it's easy and cheap to bring it overseas, too.

My 2c

That is a very very good point.  I just need to wait for the updates to come out then.  Since the issue i'm having is not a wide spread problem (at least that i am aware of) like it was with FF6 game breaking bug that everyone was dealing with its just a wait and hope there is an update at some point.

Edited by sounderfan84

The main thing that crashes SE apps is XPOSED Launcher.

Their support techs have no idea how to support Android or iOS, sadly. 

The main thing that crashes SE apps is XPOSED Launcher.

Their support techs have no idea how to support Android or iOS, sadly. 

No kidding.  it's amazed how many times i mention to their support that the issue may be with the game itself not my phone or what's on it

Edited by sounderfan84

I don't have the link handy but V and VI were confirmed to be coming about a month ago.

Edited by Excitemike

I don't have the link handy but V and VI were confirmed to be coming about a month ago.

Pretty sure that was in Japan though, right?

No, it'll come here.

What are you running them on?

I think DQ5/6 (barring issues with translation rights) are both a sure-thing, regardless of how well any of the other DQ games sell. Why? Because there's no work to be done. All the programming and porting work will be done for the Japanese releases. This is one of those rare cases where all they have to do is copy/paste the existing translations, and drop in on the mobile store(s). The amount of work to do specifically for release outside Japan is laughably minimal. Heck, they've had to put more work into the DQ1-3 releases, because THOSE actually required translating. And they did it.

There's a lot of people on here who really don't have any idea what kind of work or resources go into releasing or porting a game, but it never seems to stop them from commenting upon the ease and cost of these things.

I always wonder what kind of person writes that something they've never done and know nothing about is incredibly easy. Not you assume it's easy, it literally is. Do people not ever look at these posts and think "hey, I don't know if that's true because I basically just made it up but sure, lets just say it".

Releasing an enormous RPG is not a copy and paste job. Ever. Witness the mountain of people having problems with bugs and glitches in the existing mobile ports.

I don't know what you're complaining about. It's obviously just as easy as rocket surgery!

We all know the real challenge is fan translating the instructions as you perform the surgery on the rocket while it takes off.

• Upvote 1

It was for the US, but I can't find the exact article. It was from one of the interviews with the DQ mobile producer during Penny Arcade Expo. The only one that is up in the air is VII. 

Edited by Excitemike

They were, indeed.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/09/03/original-dragon-quest-trilogy-being-revamped-for-smartphones/

“We are planning to release in the first part of September the first Dragon Quest. We’re hoping to release [Dragon Quest] 2 and 3 in order in a period of two or three months, in a short span. We’re planning to release subsequent numbered [games] — whatever is left — we hope to release that in order as well.â€

2 is already here, 3 is being translated and 5 is being remade/ported/whatever in Japan.

Subsequent numbered games = 5, 6 and 7; in that order. (since 9 wont come to mobiles and 4 and 8 are already out)

---

I bet we will get 3 before 2015, 5 in the spring, 6 in the early summer and 7 probably near the end of the next year.

Sorry I guess I'm still not song where these are interviews discussing American releases. When did this version of dq1 release in Japan? September?

Hope it's true regardless... still worried about dq7's chances...

Trying to stay positive!

Sign in to follow this