Thanks to AerynB for scouring all the monster information in the database on the Den cleaning it up and suggesting the idea for a Monster Wiki that lists all the monster that are related.

She added the Japanese name to each monster entry in the database and when you pick a monster from the Alphabetical list

monster_wiki_nameslist.png

It will return the monsters that all match that Japanese name from the Monster book that she has.

monster_wiki_display.png

That way you can see the sprite progression over the years, as which games they appeared in and the names, sorted by Japanese release date.

Or like with the Walking Corpse you can see the name changed from Hork in the later years.

My God! That is glorious.  Thanks AerynB, that must have been a ton of work.  So much interesting info here.  I can see I have a fun new time-sink to distract me from work!

Ehh. I'd give her a C++.

(Whelp, that about uses up all of my programming jokes)

*gigglesnort*

See, that's why I like DQ. Pun jokes make me laugh!

Thanks, guys, for the kind words. And please, don't hesitate to point out any errors. I did try to quadruple check everything, but it wouldn't be unheard of for something to slip through the cracks. ;)

• Upvote 2

My first search was for sekerleton...  It's strange to me how those two very different monsters have the same Japanese name.

Thanks again AerynB!  This is great.

Edited by King Zenith

It happens with other monsters too actually. Try looking up Fairy Dragon/Damselfly or Guardian/Dragooner. Though at least those pairs look slightly similar.

The only thing I can think of is that the Japanese name for the two Sekerleton monsters means something like the Angel of Death or the Grim Reaper. You know, the scary guy with the scythe on Halloween. If that's the case, then Toriyama just came up with a couple different ideas to represent this classic mythical demon. One was a robed spirit with a scythe the other was a freaky sword-wielding skeleton. *sigh* One of these days I'm going to learn Japanese and ask these guys what they were smoking when they created these monsters. ;)

• Upvote 2

Ehh. I'd give her a C++.

Oh come now. That joke is so BASIC for a programmer.
LOL

You guys crack me up! :)

• Upvote 2

Ehh. I'd give her a C++.

Oh come now. That joke is so BASIC for a programmer.
LOL

You guys crack me up! :)

We can sure come up with programming jokes in a Flash. It's probably that cup of Java I had earlier.

• Upvote 1

My first search was for sekerleton...  It's strange to me how those two very different monsters have the same Japanese name.

Thanks again AerynB!  This is great.

That's what I did too. Or I tried to. I couldn't remember the named, so I just started on Hork.

Amazing work,very useful)

This will be use full so i give you A++++++

Edited by solo

Thanks so much, everyone! I'm really glad you're enjoying it. :)