Sign in to follow this  
gooieooie

E-mails to SE?

So lately, people have been talking about how SE notices mail more than some of the other ways people have contacted them. So I thought: "Why not try another letter bomb?"

However, like a petition, I fear that if it's a tiny letter bomb, they might want to release it less due to the small number of senders. That's why I'm thinking that we could try getting enough people in on it so a moderately sized group could all send in during the same day.

What do you guys think? I'm not necessarily setting this up yet because I want to see if people seem interested or not.

EDIT: Also hoping that posting in this board is OK, because there were no threads here before. :P

Edited by gooieooie
  • Upvote 1

That's the point of this forum Gooie, letter bombing and email campaigns.  I just kind of burned out after it was made, and never started up the next letter bomb campaign I wanted to get going with.

I wouldn't worry about a small letter campaign.  The size isn't quite that important, due to the effort.  Large campaigns are definitely better than small, but small are not viewed in a negative light due to the amount of effort that goes into it.

Now the question is, do you want to do a professional letter campaign, something where everyone copy-pastes a simple, to the point, business-like letter, or a personal letter campaign, with a specific focus (say just DQX, or DQVII, or discussing fan angst at the current lack of console DQ releases outside of Japan)?

An example professional letter (bolded areas are those people fill in themselves):

DATE

Square Enix
Address (as per above...if writing to EU, email or letter, use the British address, if to NA offices, use the US address)

Dear Square Enix,

It has come to my attention that Dragon Quest VII for the 3DS has been postponed due to potential fears of cost versus sales potential. I, Full Name, wish to alleviate this fear by pledging my support of Dragon Quest VII and assuring your company that I will purchase Dragon Quest VII for 3DS when it becomes available in Country or Territory (in my case I would write "the United States" or "US/NTSC").

I wish to further pledge my continued support for the game series I so enjoy playing, Dragon Quest. Please release Dragon Quest VII in the Country or Territory (in my case I'd probably write "United States").

Thank you for your consideration,
Full Name

Or for DQX we could go from this perspective, assuming a formal, business letter campaign (again, bolded text is for participants to delete and fill in their own data):

DATE

Square Enix
Address (as per above...if writing to EU, email or letter, use the British address, if to NA offices, use the US address)

Dear Square Enix,

It has come to my attention that Dragon Quest X has been postponed due to potential fears of cost versus sales potential. I, Full Name, wish to alleviate this fear by pledging my support of Dragon Quest X and all future expansions of the game, and assuring your company that I will purchase Dragon Quest X for the SYSTEM GOES HERE when it becomes available in Country or Territory (in my case I would write "the United States" or "US/NTSC").

Dragon Quest X does have tremendous potential for success outside of Japan, and one way to reduce costs would be to release first, only the 3DS and Mobile versions, as they are streamed and run off the cloud.  This would reduce upfront costs as the only servers required in America and Europe would be cloud servers connecting directly to the Japanese servers.  If this cheap and simple release proves successful, that would ensure a lower risk of releasing the PC, Wii, and WiiU versions along with locally run servers.  It would be a simple switch of connecting the steaming cloud service to these new servers, along with transferred character data.  If it proves too risky and has limited success, then your company risks little and is still set to profit off those who did purchase the streamed versions, as given the current MMO climate, will still generate growth going into the future, with a continual chance for future expansion.

I wish to further pledge my continued support for the game series I so enjoy playing, Dragon Quest. Please release Dragon Quest X in the Country or Territory (in my case I'd probably write "United States").

Thank you for your consideration,
Full Name

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

Oh, wow! :D Those letters are well written! Have they been used in a past letter bomb?

No, emails and letters, even small amounts, show interest.

They have to be typed and sent by a legit address, or snail-mail? Still sent legit.

It's legit, unlike internet petitions.

• Upvote 1

It's something a lot of us already do. If you have a Twitter, for example, you can bomb @SquareEnix with Dragon Quest hashtags. #DQXToTheWest #BringUSDQX #DQ7ForAll, #MoreMobileDQ, stuff like that.

You can buy the mobile releases off iOS or Android to support development, and post on their forums, etc.

Keep the enthusiasm.

Oh, OK. :) I'll keep my enthusiasm, and hope for the games to get localized. :) I'll do what I can to show them we want it. ;)

It's something a lot of us already do. If you have a Twitter, for example, you can bomb @SquareEnix with Dragon Quest hashtags. #DQXToTheWest #BringUSDQX #DQ7ForAll, #MoreMobileDQ, stuff like that.

You can buy the mobile releases off iOS or Android to support development, and post on their forums, etc.

Keep the enthusiasm.

Square has a forum?

I used the first one in two email/mail bombs I encouraged on GameFAQs.  One thread though, but I plugged it back to the top after awhile, and both times, the initial, and the second, people posted directly that they had sent in either my formal letter or made one of their own...and a few did both.

Also I've done mail bombing campaigns before, so I have an idea of what to write to get some attention.  Operation Rainfall's email bombs were also some great practice.  I also helped push both DQVC campaigns to get it back online.  The first I merely helped keep going, and did a lot of research, calls, and emails for.  The second I spearheaded entirely, and had a lot of help writing much longer, yet professional emails and two blog posts I send in emails, youtube messages, and facebook posts to SE (should've done twitter as well, but I was a bit skeevy about twitter being so short, it's hard to get a fully coherent point across, but then, twitter is all about cutting the message down to make it easier to digest, or just send multiple tweets to complete a more fully realized thought).

Gooie, the more campaign elements are used, the better and more effective the message.  So yeah, definitely.  I'll try to get on a computer I can send some emails to, and maybe do a few printouts.

I think though, both of those letters can be expanded upon.

We should maybe put in a final paragraph showing the level of fan support and desire, by linking to the DQ fan art being created for the DQ to the West campaign in the contest list.

Errr, can anyone post a quick link to where ALL the DQ art we're using, tweeting, etc.?  I have to run.

Edited by ignasia7

I send them a e-mail sometime ago saying that I and my brother would buy DQ VII and DQ X if released, but we do NOT support Mobile DQ.

I send them a e-mail sometime ago saying that I and my brother would buy DQ VII and DQ X if released, but we do NOT support Mobile DQ.

You know, that is a piss-poor attitude. You should support any release. And DQVII -would- be mobile, because a handheld device is a mobile device.

We've been getting re-introduced to the DQ series thanks to mobile. So you can take that "but we do NOT support Mobile DQ" and shove it, mate.

• Upvote 1

You know, that is a piss-poor attitude. You should support any release. And DQVII -would- be mobile, because a handheld device is a mobile device.

We've been getting re-introduced to the DQ series thanks to mobile. So you can take that "but we do NOT support Mobile DQ" and shove it, mate.

Why? I just hate playing mobile games like this... For me DQ being Mobile only here is the same thing of no DQ at all. That is what I really wanna tell Square Enix.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions Matt.  Though I agree, it's not even necessary to say "won't support mobile", just say what you WILL support.  Remember, that if there's a DQ7 mobile release, the chances of the 3DS release, assuming the 3DS is still "current" by that point, and there's no 3DS DQ7 release at the same time or prior to a mobile, it increases the chances of a 3DS version since it means a few extra tweaks.

It's better to just stay away from the negative.  If you don't support something, just don't go there and say nothing.  Keep it within fan circles or to yourself, because that actually harms others from playing these gems who may only want to purchase on the mobile side.  Not to mention people who, down the road and currently, may be introduced to Dragon Quest via mobile releases, and through that may do research into the series and decide to purchase older physical copies, or play roms and eventually support hard copies on standard game systems.

Matt, while handheld is a mobile way of gaming, it's not a "mobile" platform, when we're talking about platforms.  Mobile = portable PC, be it tablet or phone, or phablet.  Handheld = portable videogame console.  Granted there are a few crossovers.  Some Droid tablets and smartphones ARE made exclusively with gaming in mind, either with special functions or with a bit more power under the hood.  Some handheld consoles are likewise similar to smartphones and tablets in that they're designed for multi-functionality, beyond the base standard of gaming.  However, I prefer to keep these two concepts separate because they are.  I rather like having dedicated consoles (thank you Nintendo for not selling out), and having separate all-in-one multifunction devices that are or that function identically to what we call a Personal Computer.

Just my two cents.  Gooieooie, I'll see about coming up with a personalized letter format to make things easier for other people to use as a basis.  Or I'll just write another personal letter and post it in this forum for people to use as a template of sorts.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that sounds good. :) I'll be honest, I've never really done a letter bomb before, but I'll gladly help make one for DQ! :D

Well ignasia, yeah I agree to you and understand your point, however what I did can be looked even more positive: 'I love DQ, but I hate these mobile games, when you release a good game, I will buy it, and support'.

It can be looked as 'I am a DQ fan and DQ fans are NOT ONLY the numbers buying the mobiles, there are MORE fans than that'.

Both me and my brother will send an email with this now and then, when we think we should.

That is a lot better to say.

Keep in mind, some of us do not have a 3DS, or any real console. We are here because we played DQ at some point on some platform.

So specify your platform, but don't hate on others. I hope all viable platforms get DQ7 for example, but I'm hoping for mobile because that is what is what I own, and also because it has a much higher adoption rate than any console, and more people will discover DQ and go from there.

I think that's a very solid approach.  Gets your point across, more or less, but mainly, without being negative about it!

Negativity has no place when it comes to DQ.

We should be, and most of us are, happy we're getting it in any form.

Plus, a china tablet (( And they DO run well )) costs about as much as a 3DS.

I Support Mobile DQ, just for the fact that If im riding on a car for a road trip or on a plane, and i grab my phone and want to play a game then i would indeed choose Dragon Quest!! Dont get me wrong, i LOVE for them to come out with Newer Console games as well as for Mobile Devices, Im not against either, but i would love for SE to get their Butts outta their chairs and come up with new merchandise for us to enjoy, apps,games, COME ON SQUARE!!!!!

Do we have addresses to send these letters to?  **EDIT** Here we go: http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30404

I'm all about the DQ positivity.  Maybe include a DQ-themed drawing or something with the letter.  Makes it more memorable.  Kind of a combination of this idea with the DQ promo art contest.

Edited by Liamland

Let's just keep it positive.  Let's tell them what we want, but not what we don't want.  Remember, there are many DQ fans that enjoy the mobile games.

• Upvote 3

Griever and Mattcraft, I understand that a lot of fans like mobile, the problem is that I don't like, I will not tell them that I don't like, I will just tell them that I don't support it, however when a console/handheld/pc game come I will buy.

So they have more fans than just mobile.

This can be negative or can be positive, however that is my opinion and for me having one or two more mobile games don't matter. So I need to at least say that I like DQ, but not the mobiles.

If for example, they only have resources for:

DQ 3 and DQ 5 mobile

OR DQ 7 3DS,

I would say: 'ignore mobile'.

That is it. That's why I need to say that I don't support mobile, even if it can be a little negative.

No you don't.

You can say "I really want you guys to bring DQ7 to my 3DS and DQX to my Wii U!" in so many words.

It's offensive as hell to me that you'd specifically say "Don't bother with mobile.". I don't tell them in my emails "Don't bother with the 3DS.".

No you don't.

You can say "I really want you guys to bring DQ7 to my 3DS and DQX to my Wii U!" in so many words.

It's offensive as hell to me that you'd specifically say "Don't bother with mobile.". I don't tell them in my emails "Don't bother with the 3DS.".

Ok, good point you convinced me, you are right.

• Upvote 2

Good on ya mate.