Sign in to follow this  
mariosmentor

Let's translate DQX!

So i wrote an auto translator tool I've been using for DQ7 project at the moment.

Could add a file to support DQX XML files if wanted and send it to you guys

Keep in mind who shared some code and a Google API key for that ;)

I've already got such a tool for DQX :)

(I don't mean that to sound catty at all, just gave me a little giggle)

I *may* have convinced Saigan to return to X...

But only once we release the patch.

Who is Saigan? And are they aware the patch is (for now) offline only?

I believe I told him it was offline only for now.

You don't know who Saigan is? o.0

... I guess I can understand that. He's not been very active since a while before you joined, but he's another a high-profile member of the Den. He does Let's Plays, and he was actually doing an LP of DQX until Square Enix did a copyright strike on his YouTube channel for the game's intro FMV. Then he got pissed at SE (understandably). But he got so upset about it he left DQX entirely. He said he's wanted to get back into it, but he doesn't want to record it anymore - the problem being that because he's got a life (man, I wish I had one of those) he only ever really plays video games if he can record them for his YouTube channel.

He said that if somebody made a translation patch, that might help entice him to get back in. So I said, Hey guess what? I'm making a patch! And then went on to say something like, Well, it's not just me, I don't want to steal all the credit, but there is a patch being made. Then he asked if we had somebody to actually hack the script in yet. I replied saying that was the first thing you did, Tim. It was actually pretty funny.

The downside to that whole conversation is that I didn't think about it until he mentioned it, but the livestream was going on to YouTube. I hope you don't mind that. And if you have a problem with it, then oh well, there's not really anything I can do about it at this point. I don't really see it being a problem though, since we already opened up to the Den about it.

Its totally fine... I'm happy to get him an advance copy, put him in touch with me :)

Saigan? Returning to DQX? Pah! I'll believe it when I see it.

Is the patch available now for offline? Would be sweet to get back into the swing of things.

Is the patch available now for offline? Would be sweet to get back into the swing of things.

I have not yet made it "generally available" for beta, however, if you're familiar with the game, own the PC version, and can be committed to making reasonable attempts to help, I'm happy to bring you in.

I wouldn't say familiar at all, but I have played it and was able to play online i just couldn't get inti it because of the language barrier. i probably wouldn't be much help but i can give 110% if i knew how to help.

Its totally fine... I'm happy to get him an advance copy, put him in touch with me :)

Somebody said my name three times :P

I still skulk around from time to time, especially since the heroes announcement. Erdrick has me pretty convinced about the work you olks are doing :). I'm not making any promises about coming back to DQX but I'll be happy to get the word out on updates if you like. Aside from the conversation that made its way into my Legacy of the Lost video I can also stay hush on things as desired.

I still skulk around from time to time, especially since the heroes announcement. Erdrick has me pretty convinced about the work you olks are doing :). I'm not making any promises about coming back to DQX but I'll be happy to get the word out on updates if you like. Aside from the conversation that made its way into my Legacy of the Lost video I can also stay hush on things as desired.

Saigan.

That makes four.

• Upvote 1

saigon3times.png

• Upvote 1

I've decided to translate random cutscenes from the online mode all by myself, because you can't stop me. I shall start with the first cutscene you see after becoming a Puklipo:

(A cart passes by, carrying a coffin. The driver looks a little sad.)

Japanese: ã‚ん㟠é‹ãŒãªã‹ã¤ãŸãªã‚...........

Romaji: Anta un ga nakatta nÄ...........

English: You weren't very lucky.............

(Sad-looking guy looks behind his shoulder while the player's soul flies by.)

Japanese: ã¾ã  è‹¥ã„ã£ã¦ã„ã†ã®ã«ã€‚
ã‹ã‚ã„ãã†ã«.......ã‹ã‚ã„ãã†ã«ãªã‚。

Romaji: Mada waka itte iu no ni.

KawaisÅ ni....... KawaisÅ ni nÄ.

English: And you were still so young.

Poor thing.........Poor kid. (NOTE: He basically said "poor thing" twice, the second time having more emphasis. Poor kid was the only thing I could think of that could translate the increased emphasis.)

Japanese: ã›ã‚㦠ã‚ãŸã—㌠ã‚ã‚“ãŸã®ãªããŒã‚‰ã‚’
故郷ã«ã¾ã§ 連れã¦å¸°ã£ã¦ã‚ã’ã‚‹ã‹ã‚‰ã­ã€‚

Romaji: Semete atashi ga anta no naki gara o

furusato ni made tsurete kaette agerukara ne.

English: At least I have your corpse

so I can get you back home.

(The player's soul enters the dead Puklipo and begins to bang around. The carriage begins to jerk around.)

Japanese: ã†ã‚ã£! 相変ã‚ら㚠ã²ã©ã„é“ã ãªã‚。
ã“ã‚Œã˜ã‚ƒã‚ 馬車ãŒå£Šã‚Œã¡ã¾ã†ã‚ˆã€‚

Romaji: Uwaa! Aikawarazu hidoi michida nÄ.

Kore jÄ basha ga koware chimau yo.

English: Whoa! This road is as harsh as ever.

My carriage is broken now.

(The carriage approaches the entrance to a village.)

Japanese: ã»ã‚‰ 見ãˆã¦ããŸã‚ˆã€‚
ã‚ã‚“ãŸã®æ•…郷 プッ プク...........
プクッ.........!

Romaji: Hora miete kita yo.

Anta no furusato Puu Puku...........

Pukuu.........!

English: Look at that.

It's your hometown, Puu, Puku..........

Pukuu..........!

(The carriage jerks again.)

Japanese: プクレットã®æ‘ã ã‚ˆã£!!

Romaji: Pukuretto no mura da yÅ!!

English: Pukulett Village!!

(The coffin opens up. The sad-looking guy looks behind his shoulder to find the dead Puklipo, alive and well. He starts freaking out.)

Japanese: ãゃ------ã£!!

Romaji: Kyaaaaaaa!!

English: Eeeeeeek!!

Edited by mariosmentor

I've decided to translate random cutscenes from the online mode all by myself, because you can't stop me. I shall start with the first cutscene you see after becoming a Puklipo:

Please feel free to do this... it's possible your efforts may even be used at some point :)

Hi everyone, long-time fan of the series here.  I made an account on DD literally just to say thanks to all those putting in the effort into making this happen.  As a reasonable competent developer, if there are any tasks out there to be had not involving direct translating, I would be more than happy to join the party!

Cheers...

-RDarkfire.

Just popping a quick message back in here to say I'm still actively working on this.  Everything through the training mode is done 99.9% (may be a line or two that you can get under specific circumstances that I missed), and I'm well onto the extended offline campaign.  I expect a more general "public" beta in a few weeks time probably.

Then I'm going to really start digging into what (if anything) may be possible for the online mode-- biggest concern there is that the online mode might possibly be more militant about detecting data file changes, which would make it much harder to effectively do much.  If that turns out to be a non-issue (which I'm *really* hoping), then I'll start plugging away at the online content as well.

I'd like to apologise, as I haven't been nearly as active as I'd like in the past few weeks. This term in school is really eating up my free time, and when I'm not busy with schoolwork I've just felt kinda mentally exhausted lately, not in any mood to pour over a script in a language I know very little of. But I promise I haven't forsaken the project or the team. I just... Gotta... Zzzzzzz

so was the order to also Cease and Desist on this too? Or did they specify just DQ7?

Beat me to it.

This might be of interest.

I ordered a Dragon Quest X song book, and to my surprise it has the song names in both Japanese and English.  This actually gives us a few official English translations for several terms and people in the game.

Hey guys, maybe lay low on talking translation details for awhile, just in case.  I don't want to see this get the axe like DQVII.

Perhaps you can connect via email as an alternative.

We all really want to see this happen--especially those of us who haven't played it yet--and unfortunately it's very unlikely Square-Enix will move forward with it in the West.

This might be of interest.

I ordered a Dragon Quest X song book, and to my surprise it has the song names in both Japanese and English.  This actually gives us a few official English translations for several terms and people in the game.

Wow, that's interesting.  Can you give some examples?

Apparently news of DQVII's fan translation project was all over reddit and several video game news sites.  That's probably how Square-Enix found out.

Hopefully this project isn't as publicly flaunted.  We all really want to see it come to fruition.