Sign in to follow this  
mariosmentor

Let's translate DQX!

Here's a fun one, how does one translate the new 1HP revival spell that is less powerful than Zing/Vivify?  We had some good friendly debate on this until eventually coming up with something reasonable.

In the example of Hurt, though, we're going toward the DQ2/DQ7 naming that follows the Fireball sequence of spells.

Edited by timk1980
  • Upvote 1

Out of curiosity, do you know if you're going to translate any of the story text and/or NPC texts and quests yet? I'm asking because with this game being highly text based, I'm usually relying on Google Chrome translations on this Dragon Quest X website guide and some of these translations are hard for me to understand on where to go next.

Out of curiosity, do you know if you're going to translate any of the story text and/or NPC texts and quests yet? I'm asking because with this game being highly text based, I'm usually relying on Google Chrome translations on this Dragon Quest X website guide and some of these translations are hard for me to understand on where to go next.

Yes, I've got automated translations in for basically everything, and have been replacing them as we go.  Many are pretty Engrish still, but they're there :)

Yes, I've got automated translations in for basically everything, and have been replacing them as we go.  Many are pretty Engrish still, but they're there :)

Sweet, I'll take your word on that regarding the Engrish parts of it. I'll be super glad to see it released, mainly because I won't have to pull up my iPad to look online where to go next because I'm usually playing DQX full screen and will have my iPad beside me. It becomes quite tedious having to continually pull up my iPad, so hearing that story/NPC/quests will get some translation, even if it's a bit Engrishy, will be good as everything will become a lot less bothersome because I won't have to be constantly pulling my iPad up.

Apparently, in Saigan's LP, Mimas translated some lines here and there, so........yay, Mimas!

Here's a fun one, how does one translate the new 1HP revival spell that is less powerful than Zing/Vivify?  We had some good friendly debate on this until eventually coming up with something reasonable.

In the example of Hurt, though, we're going toward the DQ2/DQ7 naming that follows the Fireball sequence of spells.

For what it's worth, those spells are called Blaze, Blazemore, Blazemost and not Fireball. Fireball is a spell line that isn't in the game yet, but I have a feeling will be added sometime. The fireball spell line is ギラ

For what it's worth, those spells are called Blaze, Blazemore, Blazemost and not Fireball. Fireball is a spell line that isn't in the game yet, but I have a feeling will be added sometime. The fireball spell line is ギラ

You're absolutely right, and I just double checked... it's Blaze we're using :)

We decided to go with a Dragon Warrior-style translation in case a miracle happens and SE releases the game in English. That way, the script is definitely different, and there's more of a reason for people to switch to the official version. Of course, we'd stop updating or supporting the patch at that point, but just in case, we wanted it to be different.

So, we're definitely not at a point of doing a beta yet, but we're close to alpha.  What I'm going to need in the near future, is more eyes looking at this, who are willing to help.  Though I know from my text extractions all the potential text to translate, because some of the stuff from the early demo is also included in those files (among other reasons), there is a lot of cruft that isn't used.  Depending on gender(s) chosen, there are also a fair number of branches in dialogue for even minor things, so having more people look at the game might be good.

Now, I'm not offering this so much to let people try it out as I am because I'm hoping to get good help, although trying the English patch is certainly a benefit anyone helping would get.  This isn't a strict list of requirements, but some guidelines for who might be a good candidate if they are interested.  You should:

- Own at least the first version for PC.  (If you own v2 as well, great, that may be useful at some point later, but won't matter for now)

- Have played through the tutorial and offline mode at least once (not necessarily 100% completion)

- Have spent at least several weeks playing with the game--offline, online, or however. (If you don't have an online account right now, though, that's fine for the time being.)

- Be familiar with the general storyline, even if you can't understand every detail of it.

- Be familiar with most of the games in the series, particularly 9 (which shares many of the alchemy materials in common with X), and at least some of the older games (which use a different naming rhetoric for spells and such than the more recent titles)

- Should be willing to spend some non-trivial effort--while playing to game--noting places where text can and should be fixed.

- Would be appreciated if you're accepting of a few limitations currently in place for which I don't have a good workaround (specifically, enemy names and ally names are all left as their original japanese, to avoid some basically game-breaking issues that result otherwise)

Thanks in advance, feel free to private message me if you're interested, or even just discuss on this thread to keep the general interest in this project alive.

• Upvote 1

On the PC, I have V1 only.  My main platform is the Wii.

I spent my first 6 months offline only.  Nobody is more experienced with the offline mode than I am.  I wrote the offliine mode guy.  If you want someone to play offline, I'm your girl.

I have not played 8 or 7.  I am familiar with most of the other main series games.  I am quite familiar with 9.

Edited by Cranberry

Of course, it's up to Tim - but if you're interested, Cran, I'd love to have you join our team. Everything I know about the game comes from you, and I'm absolutely sure there's more you haven't taught me yet.

This is so cool. Being able to see DQX translated would be amazing for me and many other players. That's really some awesome progress.

Good luck with your project!

Just a heads up, last night Tim told me he's got some real-life things to take care of. He may be scarce if he's around at all for a little while. The project is not cancelled. He'll be back eventually (soon, hopefully).

If there are any questions about the project, feel free to ask me, but I can't guarantee that I'll be able to answer everything.

In the meantime, those that are part of the project should still be able to update the database, but there likely won't be any updates to the game files for a while.

Huh, so you guys decided to go with Dragon Warrior spell names, eh...

So weird to me how so many people here are so in favor of those. :/ Ah well. I'm glad there's been great progress despite my disappearance.

Oh, I thought that you were managing the translation and the style. That's too bad.

I think that the favoring of the Dragon Warrior spell names is just a testament to the power that Nintendo Power had in creating the Dragon Quest fanbase in America. It is amazing how many people got into the series from the subscription prize. I have mentioned to Dwaine in the past that it mirrors the large effect that Shonen Jump had and continues to have over the Japanese fanbase. I wonder if Nintendo Power had the mainstream appeal and market of Shonen Jump then Dragon Quest could have taken off to be as large as it is here as it is there.

Though on this translation itself, when we asked last time I remember the general consensus just being that people would be happy to have a translation and did not care one way or the other on the style. (If I were in control it would all be romanized Japanese spells :evillaugh: , then we could fight over if it should be Rula, Lula, Lura, Ruler. My preference on the first.)

It is amazing how many people got into the series from the subscription prize.

Add me to that list.  o(^-^)o

Though on this translation itself, when we asked last time I remember the general consensus just being that people would be happy to have a translation and did not care one way or the other on the style. (If I were in control it would all be romanized Japanese spells :evillaugh: , then we could fight over if it should be Rula, Lula, Lura, Ruler. My preference on the first.)

I haven't read all of the posts about this, so forgive me if this was discussed, but I would vote for something closer to what Mimas suggested as well, myself.  The biggest reason being that the people playing with the translated game are going to be playing with people, like myself, who are playing the game in Japanese (I play on Wii U, for what it's worth).  So if someone is calling out commands in combat, it would be alot easier to have names identifiable between all players.  That's my two cents.  (And I vote Ruler. :Þ)

Edited by MKVarana

Ah I see.  SInce he's out for a while I'll forrward my message to you Erdrick.  Perhaps you know the answer.

I thought we all decided that putting the Japanese name in the spell description would be good enough for that point?

Tim pretty much let me decide which spell names to use. I chose to mirror Dragon Warrior VII as much as possible for a few reasons:

-Using a different style than square Enix themselves would use makes it different. We've all pretty much given up hope of a western release, but in the case they do ever bring it over, I want there to be as much reason for people to buy it as possible. Of course, we'd stop working on the patch at that point, but unless SE update-patches it out, that wouldn't stop people from using the patch as it was. It's not much, but it's definitely a consideration. And point this isn't just for the spell names, I'm talking about the overall translation style.

-I'm readily familiar with DW spell names (or DQ English ones too), but not with the Japanese names. We do plan on including the Japanese name (both in kana and romanized) in each spell description. This will help patch users communicate with Japanese players/Wii/Wii u English players.

-since I'd already decided to go with DW names, I chose VII specifically because it had the most spells and skills of the older games, meaning less to retranslate. I also just personally prefer VII's variants, and since I'm the one translating spell names I get to take that into account :P

As for Rula Stones, we're translating them as Zoomstones because there's not enough room for "Return Rock". Plus it sounds better. Also, my exception to the DW spell names is the heal / hoimi line. HealAll will become Fullheal. HealUsAll will be Fullheal Us. I tend to get "All" confused with "Us", so I'm eliminating that. :D

For spells that are new to X, we'll be making up our own names. For example, the new spell, Zhao (revives party member with 1HP) has become Livify, to go along with Vivify (Zing) and Revive (Kazing).

Yeah, the only help I'd be any help with this project is by giving you translations of certain scenes provided by Yahoo answers. Take, for example, the very first scene in the offline portion:

(NOTE: I translated the final paragraph by myself, and that last line is pretty sketchy. Also, I'm naming the player Azuria and the sibling Soura, for sake of referencing the DQX manga.)

Soura: Azuria!

How is it? Nice, right?
Miss Aba said it's ok if you ride it.
She said so!
Isn't that right, Miss Aba?

Aba:  Yes. It's a big day today.
Never did I dream that the day would come when we would be allowed
to ride on the shell of the turtle, the guardian deity of our village...!
How happy I have been living this long!
Let's go, Soura.
We'd better hurry and give them a ride.

Soura: Yes, Miss Aba. Hey, Azuria! You can ride as well!
Here, grab my hand........
Aba: Don't you dare!
Soura: ........Huh?
Aba: Azuria is staying here.
Soura: But why?
Aba: .........Because of that incident..............

Hi all, I should be returning to more like normal availability now... Cran, I'll get back to your PM soon.

Yeah, the only help I'd be any help with this project is by giving you translations of certain scenes provided by Yahoo answers. Take, for example, the very first scene in the offline portion:

(NOTE: I translated the final paragraph by myself, and that last line is pretty sketchy. Also, I'm naming the player Azuria and the sibling Soura, for sake of referencing the DQX manga.)

Soura: Azuria!

How is it? Nice, right?

Miss Aba said it's ok if you ride it.

She said so!

Isn't that right, Miss Aba?

Aba: Yes. It's a big day today.

Never did I dream that the day would come when we would be allowed

to ride on the shell of the turtle, the guardian deity of our village...!

How happy I have been living this long!

Let's go, Soura.

We'd better hurry and give them a ride.

Soura: Yes, Miss Aba. Hey, Azuria! You can ride as well!

Here, grab my hand........

Aba: Don't you dare!

Soura: ........Huh?

Aba: Azuria is staying here.

Soura: But why?

Aba: .........Because of that incident..............

I welcome the help, but... I already translated that scene.

Well then, I'm still in the "useless as a goodybag" margin. Actually, I like that term. I think I'm gonna trademar- (gun fires) Okay, Horii-san, no trademarks. Someone call an ambulance......................

You're not useless... Your translation shows that mine was pretty darn close.

But if you'd really like to help, you kinda have to have the game. That's just how it works.

Thanks for the compliment, but the very last line in my translation is still pretty bad, most likely. That's what happens when you use Google Translate.

Oh man I am getting excited just reading these forum posts. I just hope one day SEI realizes that the fanbase is big enough where having 10 out here is a money maker, and even if not knowing the franchise I am pretty sure people would play it just because it is an mmo.

So i wrote an auto translator tool I've been using for DQ7 project at the moment.

Could add a file to support DQX XML files if wanted and send it to you guys