Sign in to follow this  
mariosmentor

Let's translate DQX!

I'm not talking about a patch. I mean a gamescript-based walkthrough. I don't know Japanese, so I'll need someone here to do the translating. For some reason, I can't copy-and-paste, so I'll type it out in Romaji. Here's how I'll type out each Romaji:

Originally in Hiragana.

Originally in Katakana.

Originally in Kanji.

Let's start with the first scene in the offline campaign.

Sibling: (Player's name)-!

(Pan out to show Sibling and Aba)

Sibling: Douda iidarou?!

Abasamaga higashitteiitte

iuttekuretandaze!

Naa abasama?

Aba: Aa. Kinjitsuha tokubetsuja.

Muranokamirikami kamesamano ohatochuuni

higashiseteitadakujitsuga kiyoutoha.............

Choushoukiha suromonjanou.

Saa ikukuzo (Sibling's name).

Hokanomonotachimo higashiseteyarawaha

Sibling: Ou abasama.

Ara! (Player's name)mo higashirinahigashirina!

Hora orenoteni tsukamatte........

Aba: Dameja!

Sibling:...........E?

(Player's name)ha higashiseraren.

Na nande.........?

Aba:......................

So re ha na....................

Wait for those two to make the tools if it is possible, then help them and whoever else joins in on the effort in translating whichever parts of the game for said patch.  Most would rather have than to alt tab or look over their neck at a script.   Saves money on pain meds. 

Who are you talking about? What tools? I'm utterly confused!

That guy's just trying to help translate party chat. This is focusing on the cutscenes only.

Thats quite a undertaking and if anything most of the translating effort is done by Aena and her helper. Now from what I recall you do not have access to the game?

Best bet is to find videos of the cutscenes and sub over them. I sadly have not been recording my gameplay so cant really help there. But if of coarse you feel this is the best way to translate or only option available do what you can as any work will always be appreciated to gain a better understanding to the story and dialogue!

That guy's just trying to help translate party chat. This is focusing on the cutscenes only.

Sighs. does nobody read thoroughly anymore?

Read all the pages. 

If you both have read, you would realize they are testing, and trying to see if tools can be made to create an OPEN SOURCE translation effort of both offline and online, of EVERYTHING.  Apparently the Text, least in Offline mode, of all NPC and yes, cutscene dialogue, can be translated and replaced with English characters. The "helper" as you call him >.>..... shown a single picture of this.  

Right now they are, as I said, doing more tests, and trying to see if a tool can be created to not only make it easier to translate, but to open source it as well. 

Have you read the whole thread? Also, Aeana's a girl (at least that's what her profile says, I have no reason to believe she'd lie on that).

EDIT: Ninja'd by Alexandrious.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

GAH, FINE!!!!!! I try to help, but everything bellies up for me! MSX soundtracks? My idea! Redubbed Pokemon Anime? Nope. Himitsu Sentai Goranger with English subs? Why don't you ask Bad Apple Fansubs? You win. Close this thread too, since apparently, a more capable person's already doing it.

Hey, I didn't mean to sound condescending. I'm glad that you have the enthusiasm! But these things take more planning to do, they can't be "just done". Also, Aeana and Timk are working on a translation/tools, but when they are satisfied that stuff works, they're going to make it open source so anyone can contribute.

GAH, FINE!!!!!! I try to help, but everything bellies up for me! MSX soundtracks? My idea! Redubbed Pokemon Anime? Nope. Himitsu Sentai Goranger with English subs? Why don't you ask Bad Apple Fansubs? You win. Close this thread too, since apparently, a more capable person's already doing it.

If you have any way to help them, via knowledge of the Japanese language, or programming expertise, please help those two. 

That's just the thing. I don't know Japanese, or programming of any sort. The only way I've ever been able to contribute here is through my timeline theory, which I'll need to update when DQXI comes out.

No, I can't copy-and-paste ANYTHING, regardless of the language. I think it's because I'm using a library computer.

If anyone knows enough Japanese to help with translating, please PM me. I have tools ready for people.

Wait, why are you necroing this thread? Is there something here you like, or something?

Wait, why are you necroing this thread? Is there something here you like, or something?

Timk is one of the people who were already working on a translation. But it's a group effort. Time created the tools, but the game is so large that it would require a team effort of many, many different people to get this going.

Unfortunately I don't know Japanese, and I don't know if google translating (and then using common sense to defragment the translation) would be acceptable for this project. Anyways, I'm already working on my Itadaki Street Special translation. But I wish the best of luck to those who are attempting this project.

Well, that explains it, I guess. I actually found that running each individual word through Denshi Jisho and stringing them together to be a lot more reliable than google translate.

I have a (99%+ complete) text extraction from the game, as well as a Google translated version of all of it.  In some cases, it's possible to human-fix it, especially if you know the context in-game where it's used.  (Think what a priest says after you resume play, for instance.)  Other parts of it are near-impossible to decipher.

I haven't (yet) tried rebuilding *all* of the text into the game, but I've done it for a few blocks at a time, and definitely know how to do it properly, and in general without breaking the game engine itself, so I'm feeling pretty confident there.  That said, my tooling could always use improvement; for now it's good enough though.

All of that said, if anyone wants to come on board to help sort thought it, I'm definitely looking for help.  I haven't heard from Aeana for about two weeks now, which is somewhat surprising/concerning, but I'm assuming she just got sidetracked or busy with whatever.

Apologies that my original post on this thread was necro, I just got excited at the prospect of finding others interested in helping out potentially.

Thanks for complimenting my enthusiasm. Sadly, all I'm able to do is transliterate Japanese text into romaji. If you need help with THAT, then I'll put my best foot forward.

I'll probably up my Sub in the next few days. If you have the text dump organized in a way that's easy to compare to the game (text for Glen NPCs, text for Pukulet NPCs, etc.) I'd be willing to take a crack at it while I play. Of course, it would be google translate, but if I go as I play-off it would be easier to make sense of it. (This is how I've been doing Fortune Street Special.)

How is this project coming along?  Are we close to having a working translation patch?

Depends what you mean by "working".  From a technical functionality standpoint, I can patch about 90% of the offline mode right now (which probably also patches some of the online mode content, though I haven't tested).  The translations themselves though, are in many cases pure machine-translated junk.  Actually going through and cleaning up the translations, and/or having humans do the translating where machine translation is useless, is by far the most time consuming and intensive part of the project.

Make no mistake, there are currently several of us working on this, at least a few hours a week as we're able, but the size of the project should not be underestimated, and to have a really good clean translation patch won't be a several week, and possibly not even just a several-month effort overall.

So to answer the original question simply, yes, it's almost fully working, but at this point, the "translated' text is often less than useful.

I see, so if you do a straight-up literal translation using a program, the sentence structure differences between the two languages will result in translated text that does not make any sense.  That does sound frustrating.

Plus there's the problem of Homonyms and Synonyms.