Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

Localisation of DQ games - news

http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/18/how-13-years-changed-the-language-and-culture-of-dragon-quest-games/

Neat article.  A little tidbit about DQIII was dropped in there.

In the recent Dragon Quest III for mobile, Square Enix highlighted the contrast between worlds by using archaic speech in one and modern speech in another.

That's something new.

And about DQVII :-(  Basically nothing new.

And for those fans who are dying to know if Dragon Quest VII is coming Westward? “I believe every flagship Dragon Quest title, not just Dragon Quest VII, is worthy of localizing to the best of our current abilities,” said Fujimoto.

“As for Dragon Quest VII, there has not yet been an official decision to localize the title anew, but the warm messages of support we’ve received from fans have been very encouraging. I never want to let our fans down, and I will continue to do my best to bring Dragon Quest games to our audience outside Japan.”

• Upvote 1

Cool, thanks for sharing this!  That's interesting insight into the upcoming DQ3 localization.  My son will be glad to hear that the text will be more readable to him for most of the game (I am assuming the archaic language will be limited to the "other world").

Since DQ3 resembles the geography of our world a bit, I wonder if they will be pulling a DQ4 type move and giving different accents to the different regions. I wonder which "warm messages of support" are being referred to there.  Could be partly from the Quest for the West Contest stuff, but I am sure we'll never know.

Cool, thanks for the news Platty. That is interesting they'll use two different types of speech for III, with my money being on that the archaic speech will be in the other world.

And that's good to know that they've been reading/paying attention to messages regarding DQVII.  It may not be news of translation, but it's definitely something positive.

Since DQ3 resembles the geography of our world a bit, I wonder if they will be pulling a DQ4 type move and giving different accents to the different regions. I wonder which "warm messages of support" are being referred to there.  Could be partly from the Quest for the West Contest stuff, but I am sure we'll never know.

God, I hope not.

God, I hope not.

I second that Liam.

God, I hope not.

Um...

'K, so can you explain why that would be a bad thing...?

• Upvote 1

Platty, I could hug you buddy.  That brought a massive smile to my face.  Not exactly where I want to see news, but CLOSER to what I want to hear.

I rather enjoyed DQ4's accents, but I think it would be better NOT to go that route, since it's such a polarizing element, it has a chance to deter and turn away quite a few people who would have enjoyed the game if they weren't forced to learn and understand the colloquial terminology of various cultures, or rework broken English (I have to say, in my experience with Eastern Europeans with limited knowledge of English, their mastery far exceeds what was displayed in Zamoksva).

Anyway, back to work and tweaking FAQs in between!

God, I hope not.

Um...

'K, so can you explain why that would be a bad thing...?

You won't find me complaining about the accents, but I won't lie: I'd prefer a cleaner translation. 6 and 9 (outside of 9's overuse of puns) were actually great. I've only played the SFC and PS2 versions of 5, so I can't make an honest judgement. I will say from what I've seen of HCBailly's LP of 5 DS, it looks well done. Maybe I'll watch it in its entirety.

Again, I won't complain about a DQ localization, even 4. I'm just stating my preference. I'll take any translation I can get with a smile on my face, though. 

The accents are great, they are localizing the Japanese accents that were in the original games. It's probably one of the best efforts in localization ever attempted. I really hope Square doesn't get the wrong idea with the massive complaints about the accents, when in reality it's people being ignorant of the source material, and expecting a default generic script

Let's say you were playing DQ III. Since the world map closely resembles the real world, what would you say to stuff like Romaly sounding like Rome, Portoga sounding like Portugal, the new town sounding like New York, and the dark world resembling what whe currently have with I and II Mobile? As long as it's not too overdone, would that be bad?

The accents are great, they are localizing the Japanese accents that were in the original games. It's probably one of the best efforts in localization ever attempted. I really hope Square doesn't get the wrong idea with the massive complaints about the accents, when in reality it's people being ignorant of the source material, and expecting a default generic script

Uh, no those accents weren't in the original.

And you don't have to take my word for it either http://legendsoflocalization.com/lets-talk-aboot-those-dragon-quest-iv-accents/

I mean it's cool if you like those accents and all but let's not pretend they weren't a complete creation of the localization process. It's bad enough that there are people that actually believe DQ has half as many puns as the DQ9 translation.

That said, DQ3 is probably the only game in the series where the accents might actually fit. Still not a fan of the overall racist tone of "lol these people are foreign so they can't speak English well"

If only there were a way to read about the ideas and thought process of the ones who did it... Hm.

I played DQ3 on three different platforms, but since I love DQ3 so much, ima get it on Bluestacks to play just for the hell of it.  Maybe ill go for a Dragons Den Badge finally. Never really cared for it spite I coulda had a few by now.  

Honestly though I really wanna be able to play DQ7 3DS localized.  Would be nice to play in bed with my Turtle Beach Wii-U/3DS headset on. sighs...

Edited by Alexandrious

Let's say you were playing DQ III. Since the world map closely resembles the real world, what would you say to stuff like Romaly sounding like Rome, Portoga sounding like Portugal, the new town sounding like New York, and the dark world resembling what whe currently have with I and II Mobile? As long as it's not too overdone, would that be bad?

No, it wouldn't be bad. It simply wouldn't be my personal style. Not that I care all that much. 

Like I said, DQ4 was too much fun to play and I was too grateful to have a localization to truly complain about it. 

And yes, I'll concede that it'd be thematically appropriate. Its kind of like putting lemon zest in creme friache. I certainly don't dislike it, and it still goes wonderfully with beluga caviar and blinis, but I prefer not having the ever so slight bitterness with citrus undertone. I tend to seek a more "pure" taste of the sour to compliment the salty beluga.

If only there were a way to read about the ideas and thought process of the ones who did it... Hm.

You know, I heard that one of the members of the Den had a website with an interview (among other things) with a localization dude. Can't recall who just now...

And yes, I'll concede that it'd be thematically appropriate. Its kind of like putting lemon zest in creme friache. I certainly don't dislike it, and it still goes wonderfully with beluga caviar and blinis, but I prefer not having the ever so slight bitterness with citrus undertone. I tend to seek a more "pure" taste of the sour to compliment the salty beluga.

That's so full of references I don't get or have any experience with, it might as well have been written in another language.

Personally, I'm just waiting for more definite news for Dragon Quest VII and the Dragon Quest Monster games. Hopefully, Square Enix isn't forgetting about the Dragon Quest Monsters games. I really want to play Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 in 3D. The fact that I'm currently replaying it only makes me want it more... especially since there will be new monsters. Give me my Wishmaster!

I never want to let our fans down, and I will continue to do my best to bring Dragon Quest games to our audience outside Japan.â€

Well you guys have been doing for the past couple of years.

That's so full of references I don't get or have any experience with, it might as well have been written in another language.

I think it needs to be localized.

Redneckpride4ever's post or DQVII?

The food example didn't work, so I'll try a beer example:

Bud Light lime is a thematically appropriate drink that I enjoy drinking on a hot summer day, but I still prefer my PBR. I have to be in a very specific mood to want a citrus flavored beer. I don't dislike citrus flavored beer, and I understand its popularity. I just prefer it less adulterated.

Of course, when it comes to PBR, my attitude is this:

• Upvote 1

The food example didn't work, so I'll try a beer example:

Bud Light lime is a thematically appropriate drink that I enjoy drinking on a hot summer day, but I still prefer my PBR. I have to be in a very specific mood to want a citrus flavored beer. I don't dislike citrus flavored beer, and I understand its popularity. I just prefer it less adulterated.

Of course, when it comes to PBR, my attitude is this:

Now THAT makes sense
  • Upvote 1

Ugh PBR... I'm more a Yuengling guy, glad it finally came to New England. No if only VII would...

Ugh, beer. I'm more of a non-alcoholic guy.