Sign in to follow this  
Aeana

Guide: How to purchase kill quests ("gate quests")

Some people have asked me what I've been referring to when I talk in-game about having bought a pretty good kill quest, so I figured I could try to make a rough guide about how to go about doing it. I'm assuming that the reader of this guide knows what kill/gate quests are, and is simply interested in learning how to buy them from other players.

The beginning of our task leads us to the capital of Megistolis (メギストリスã®éƒ½) on server 1. This is always the first place you will go. Upon logging into Megistolis on server 1, you'll start to get lots of messages.

1.png

The ones labeled with numbers are all people trying to sell a kill quest in one way or another. I'll try to describe what each one is saying.

1. サーマリ丼50/23910P/魚横ãµã˜ã“鯖1石×

This means they're selling a quest to kill 50 Foresdons (フォレスドン) in Sahmari Plateau (サーマリ高原). In this case, they're shortening Foresdon to 丼 which is a kanji that can be read as "don." However, they are not the one selling. They're saying that ãµã˜ã“ near the fish exchange NPC (魚交æ›å“¡) on server 1 is selling. Note that 鯖 here is shorthand for server. It's read as "saba" whereas the usual Japanese term is サーãƒãƒ¼ (saabaa). This quest is worth 23910 points, but a price is not given.

2. ギルザッド/丼40/27320/2000G/鯖15魚横ã•ã¤ã

This is similar to the one above. They're selling a quest to kill 40 Foresdons in the gilzad area (ギルザッド地方). The quest is worth 27320 points, and they're selling it for 2000G. The person you need to find to buy it is on server 15 (鯖15) by the fish exchange NPC, named ã•ã¤ã.

3. サーï¾ï¾˜ä¸¼50/23910P/魚横石×1000G

This is the person that #1 was advertising for. I don't know why they're advertising on the same server, but here we are. 50 Foresdons in Sahmari Plateau (サーマリ高原) worth 23910 points, near the fish exchange NPC, costs 1000G to buy. 石× means that they do not have the zoomstone to a nearby location.

4. イエロバï¾ï½¸ï¾žï¾™50匹/21880/è½é™½/900G宿å‰/石×

This one is for 50 yellow bangles (イエロãƒãƒ³ã‚°ãƒ«) in the meadow of the setting sun (è½é™½ã®è‰åŽŸ). It's worth 21880 points, costs 900G, and this particular person is in front of the inn (宿å‰. 宿=inn, å‰=in front)

5. シエラ・ã˜ã”ãï½¥50ï½¥22410花壇3時・1000g・石○

This is for 50 hellraisers (ã˜ã”ãã®ã¤ã‹ã„) in the sierra pilgrimage grounds (シエラ巡礼地). It's worth 22410 points, costs 1000G, and the person is at the 3:00 position (3時) in the circular flowerbed (花壇) in the center of the square. They do have a nearby zoomstone, as indicated by 石○.

6. 黄ダラス・ï¾ï¾™ï½¶ï½¯ï¾ï½¬45/1500G/29250/花3時

In this case, the first thing they're doing is advertising that it's a yellow-named quest (黄), but almost all of the ones being sold are pretty much. It's for 45 hellcatchers (ヘルカッãƒãƒ£) in Darazu Mines (ダラズ採掘場). It's worth 29250 points, costs 1500G, and they're at 3:00 in the flower bed area.

7. 黄サーï¾ï¾˜ï½°ä¸¼ã€€35 23910 800G サバ28 魚後ã‚

Another person selling a yellow quest, for 35 Foresdons (abbreviated to 丼 again) in Sahmari Plateau (サーマリ高原). They're asking 800G for it, but they're on server 28, behind the fish exchange NPC.

8. 黄)シエラ 地ç„40 23910P15ï¼ï¼ï¼§!å®¿å— çŸ³â—‹

Another yellow quest for 40 hellraisers (this time they're using åœ°ç„ which is the kanji version of ã˜ã”ã, monster's full name is ã˜ã”ãã®ã¤ã‹ã„ or 地ç„ã®ä½¿ã„ in kanji). It's worth 23910 points, costs 1500G. They're standing south of the inn (宿=inn, å—=south), and they do have a nearby zoomstone, as indicated by 石○.

8. 黄サï¾ä¸¼40/27320P/2500G/鯖34フェイレイ/トンãƒãƒ«

Another person advertising for someone on another server. This is a yellow quest for 40 foresdons in Sahmari Plateau, worth 27320 points, they're asking 2500G. The person is on server 34, his name is フェイレイ and he's in the tunnel (トンãƒãƒ«).

9. 黄ギルフォレ丼45*30470ï½2500ï¼çŸ³â—Žé¯–7トï¾ï¾ˆï¾™

Another yellow one for 45 Foresdons (フォレ丼 this time) in the gilzad area (ギルザッド地方). Worth 30470 points, for 2500G. They're on server 7 in the tunnel and they do have a nearby zoomstone.

Most of the time, people are selling quests for foresdons, saurus lords (サウルスロード), or hellcatchers. I didn't see any saurus lords today, but it's the most popular one by far. I will try to update this thread with more shorthand as I think of it or come across it. Other members are welcome to do so as well!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

At any rate, once you've chosen a quest you want, it can play out in a couple of different ways. If the person is standing in a central area like near the inn, or in the flower bed, then odds are they do not have a line. However, if they're near the fish exchange NPC or in a tunnel, they might have a line forming to buy their quest. How you approach these can differ sometimes.

If there is no line: simply walk up to the person until a speech bubble appears over their head, press confirm, and initiate a trade. Once they accept the trade, give them the amount of gold they're asking, and once the trade is over, they should invite you to a party.

If there is a line: wait the line (seriously! be polite; wait your turn), and generally in this situation, when you're at the head of the line, the person will initiate a trade with you, which you merely have to accept and trade the amount of money they're asking before they invite you to a party.

If you're unfamiliar with trading, here are some screens to help with that.

1. Press confirm when your cursor is on the player you want to trade with.

2. Go to ã¨ã‚Šã²ã in the window that opens up

2.png

3. Wait for them to accept.

4. When they do, you see the below window. Press confirm on "ã‚ãŸã™ã‚‚ã®ã‚’é¸ã¶"

3.png

4. Select gold (ゴールド) and fill in the correct amount.

4.png

5. Move your cursor to confirm (ã‘ã£ã¦ã„)

5.png

Once you're done, they'll invite you to a party. Accept the invitation, and then run over to the kill quest NPC. Open the quest list, and you should now see the quest they were advertising in the list!

6.png

For this example, I chose to go with #9 above. Sure enough, the quest appears in my list, and I can accept it just like usual.

Once you've accepted your quest, it's good etiquette to leave the party as quickly as you can. You're welcome to use their zoomstones if they advertised they had one, but as soon as you're done, leave the party. If you don't know how, open the main menu, go to ã•ãã›ã‚“ → ãªã‹ã¾ → ãªã‹ã¾ã‚’ã¬ã‘ã‚‹.

Now go do your quest and turn it in as you normally would!

Thanks for your guide to buy gate quest!! Very details and understandable guide!!

Is it recommended only player who finished 2.2 story? How many persons can the quest be sold to?

It's impossible for me to buy the gate quest without your guide because I feel uncomfortably to interact directly with local players as I can not speak JP at all. In case you find out more meeting places (to buy the quest), please help listing them in this thread.

Really appreciate your help and support.

Edited by Murd

You should be able to manage most of the popular quests (especially foresdons) with level 80 supports. I usually go with Ashes and Ayumira (level 80 mages) and a level 80 priest friend of mine and I go on whatever class I'm trying to level up, so I'm usually useless. I personally haven't even finished the 2.0 story.

As for interacting, you don't have to worry too much since you're not expected to talk to them. As long as you are able to read what they're advertising, and then trade the correct amount of money to them, you should be able to get the quest without having to talk.

You should be able to manage most of the popular quests (especially foresdons) with level 80 supports. I usually go with Ashes and Ayumira (level 80 mages) and a level 80 priest friend of mine and I go on whatever class I'm trying to level up, so I'm usually useless. I personally haven't even finished the 2.0 story.

As for interacting, you don't have to worry too much since you're not expected to talk to them. As long as you are able to read what they're advertising, and then trade the correct amount of money to them, you should be able to get the quest without having to talk.

Thank you for your quick reply Aeana.

You had replied me before I editted my post above. So I would like to ask you again. How many persons can the quest be sold to?

If we see the long waiting line, should we buy the quest?

A player can sell their quest to as many people as they wish. So the only thing you're limited by is how long the person will stand there selling it. I've stood in lines and always made it to the front, but there's certainly a chance that you'll wait in line and someone will decide they're done selling before you get there, I guess. But all you lose then is a bit of your time.

A player can sell their quest to as many people as they wish. So the only thing you're limited by is how long the person will stand there selling it. I've stood in lines and always made it to the front, but there's certainly a chance that you'll wait in line and someone will decide they're done selling before you get there, I guess. But all you lose then is a bit of your time.

Wow!! Can't imagine how much gold the quest seller can get from this!!

Thank you Aeana.

Ps: I used to see the guide about buying& selling yellow gate quest in dragon-quest.jp/ten but couldn't understand at all. After read through Aeana's guide then I head back to the site again. Someone said that they earned like 150,000 gold/ hour selling yellow popular gate quest (with less or none competitor)!!

Edited by Murd

Just leave a reply here that I successfully bought a gate quest with ease!! The quest needs me to kill 40 of don but as my character is now maxed at level 50 and can not find a right time to hire high lv team member as AI yet.

Buying quest is easy but to have it done is still tough job for me. :(

Got 32k from my gate quest. Wasnt too bad in getting it and the chat monitor helped a lot in deciphering on what to do.

We need to come up with a better translation for these types of tests.

They are commonly called 討伐 which would be suppresion.

I don't really think that makes for a smooth translation. While it might be literal, it loses some of the conotation of the Japanese. I don't like "kill quest" especially since Horii has mentioned before in interviews that he is glad that he uses the term "defeat" rather than "kill" for monsters.

Elimination Quest is closer to the meaning in Japanese, but it doesn't sound right to me either.

If we look at something similar in real life we could call them Culling Quests.

What does everyone think? Is there a similar type of quest in other MMORPGs whose term we should steal?

Well the reason why I call them kill quests is just because it fits into the chat in-game.  Subjugation is closer to the actual meaning of è¨Žä¼. Quelling might also work.  

How about hunt quests? They have something similar in FF14 (defeat X monsters on Y map) and it's called the same thing.

Well the reason why I call them kill quests is just because it fits into the chat in-game.  Subjugation is closer to the actual meaning of è¨Žä¼. Quelling might also work.  

Quelling is not a bad translation, but yeah, it might not work as well in chat.

How about hunt quests? They have something similar in FF14 (defeat X monsters on Y map) and it's called the same thing.

Looking that up, yeah, the Japanese term for those also seems to be 討伐 so, yeah, while it would not be an official DQ translation, it would be an official Square Enix translation.