Sign in to follow this  
dabum

Custom Mapping & Sprites :x

Just looking for some people to critique some of these map hashes I put together.

My latest work: Although this is DQ, its kind of influenced by SAO's Town of Beginnings partially (eg: Black Iron Palace & Town Square). But since I cant find a way to stack regular houses nicely in a city-wise fashion I had to fill up the space somehow. In reality if I could do it, the entire picture would be circular and the water would overflow into the sky. (Who knows I might expand on it eventually)

28am8sg.jpg

Some older map artworks.

2wegkf5.jpg

Some of my other earlier works already displayed in my game thread:

2e307jb.png

2z6f71h.png

Made these 2 sprites about a week earlier: Shogum & Trauminator, Feel free to use em. If your looking for an overworld version of these character sprites, bad news I suck @ making those. Even these 2 monsters were made by eyeballing and using pre-existing parts to make them.

24n1evr.png

• Upvote 1

Wow, those look great.  Nice work.

Yes very cool.

AAAAAwesome

He's not dabum some others have accused him of being.

Nice work. I really like the castle.

He's not dabum some others have accused him of being.

Dabum tsss!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback! I've always liked mapping and I'm surprised the castle turned out as well as it did considering most of the DQ3 Tiles are so squarish. Had to improvise to make it semi-circular. Also since i am not mapping these out in RMVXA, rather I do this in GIMP because Parallax Mapping is so much more convenient and it's not limited by the game's default tileset limit. It also allows me to place things where I want them, as well as do it in layers that I can always change.

Look foward to more maps coming soon! Although each map is very time consuming. Hell that castle one took me about.. hours, spread across about a week to make.

Here is an overworld map that I started working on from scratch today (8 hours ago as of this posts timestamp)

A lot of it is still empty but like I said earlier, I map this stuff through GIMP so im actually cutting/pasting tile by tile until I get the right look.

As for what this is going to be.. well my game is hopefully going to be a kind of a mix between DQ & SAO concepts. Therefore in this case this is going to be the first floor/area hence why the waterfalls off the edge at the bottom. This is a WIP and honestly, I find making overworld maps difficult because there isn't much room to play with the tiles.

Towards the top is going to be the "Tower/Dungeon" used to go to the next floor and at the bottom is the town where all "Players" (AKA You) start out at.

Right now I am just stuck on what to fill the rest of the open green space with. I'd also have to take into account other areas within the floor as well as mini-bosses that would appear. Overall planning for a game is a difficult challenge indeed.

28c25xz.jpg

Edited by dabum