Sign in to follow this  
eal

I Should Probably Get Around to Finishing VI Now.....

Soooooooo........ I never actually finished VI. I literally made it to Mortamor and even went through an intense couple hours level grinding. But that was a few weeks after the game came out and I never did get around to finishing it. I picked it up again a few days ago and realized I have forgotten almost everything.

I forgot that I was raising my levels up and mastering some classes so most of my party isn't the class I want them to be. I forgot how to navigate this ridiculous overworld, with its two different versions, many ways of traveling, and most of all how to navigate the boss' realm (Dread-something-or-other. See! I don't even remember what it's called). Like, I can't figure out how to get to the boss' castle and any of the strategies for fighting him.

So long story short: how do I get over to his castle, travel back home to change my classes, and what are some tips for fighting him? I vaguely remember being told to take out one hand before the others?

This is like my only unfinished DS game so it would be great to finally beat all my DS games and remove one less game from my Backlog of Shame.

• Upvote 1

The realm is called the Dreadrealm, the sea is called the Sea of Dread I believe?  I don't know, I didn't pay much attention.  Maybe Sea of Souls/Dreams?  Anyway, to answer your questions:

1) Zoom!  If you're in the DreadRealm, and you'll know because around the landmass is a weird rainbow coloured pattern where ocean water would normally appear.  If that's where you are, go to your spell menu, pick Zoom, from the Zoom list, the last option, Prison of Sorrow, will take you across the Sea to a spot just before Mortamor's castle.  Head North to enter the last dungeon of the main game.

If you're not in the DreadRealm, go to your item menu, find the Reigns, and choose them to make Pegasus fly.  While Flying press X to head to the DreadRealm (works in either the Dream or Real Worlds).  From there Zoom to Prison of Sorrow.

2) To get back to the normal world, there are two methods.

The first is to Zoom to Despairia, then walk to the NW to find the Springs.  Enter the building, exit stage right to enter the Spring, and walk around, clockwise, to the NE corner of the spring, now immediately press and hold Left on the D-pad to enter into the building in the center.  From there find the well, and enter it to Warp to the Real World.

The second, and BETTER method, is after completing the Prison of Sorrow scenario (which is required to even enter Morty's funhouse), there is now a hole in the center of the Prison of Sorrow.  So enter it on the World Map, then enter the building, go downstairs, and I think you have to talk to one of the brothers to be sent back to the Real World.  This is about 100x faster and easier than the first option.

To get to Alltrade's Abbey:

If you're in the Real World, and you'll know because the world map looks like a real world map, in that islands, positions are all over the place (the Dream World map is designed as a circle).  If this is confusing, open up the Zoom menu and if the first option is Alltrade's Abbey, and the third is Madam Luca's, you are now in the Real World.  Do NOT Zoom to Alltrade's Abbey from the Real World menu (you can get to the Dream World version, which has the Abbot, allowing class change, from the Real World, but there's a faster method in the DS version)...rather, from the first page of your Zoom list, press Left on the D-Pad to go to the last page, and pick the last option to "change/switch" worlds.  You will not be in front of the Alltrade's Abbey that allows you to switch classes.

If you're in the Dream World, and you'll know because the world map looks like a circle, at least the land mass does.  If this is confusing, open up the Zoom menu, and if the first option is Weaver's Peak, you're in the Dream World.  Now, choose the Alltrade's Abbey option on the first page to Zoom there.  Enter, and you can now switch classes with the Abbot.

3) Mortamor...

Depends on a LOT of factors really.  I mean a LOT.

I would recommend you have at least 2 people with Kazing learned.

Kazing is learned through either Sage, and there are three monsters that learn it automatically.  Lizzie (25), Kingsley (20), and Curie (17).

If you happen to have a Duplic Hat (dropped by a monster in Morty's funhouse that looks like a purple Murdaw), give it to your main healer that has Multiheal, and hopefully some damage spells.  It's a fun hat because virtually all spells are "echoed" for free.

If you've spent any time leveling either Healie or, if you've managed to get ahold of Curie at all (depends on whether you've been able to trade Dreamcards or not), both of them are the only two with access to Omniheal, for a full party 100% heal.  If you have, put them in the wagon for a backup Omniheal if things get very dicey.

Form 1 and 2 are pretty easy going, but form 3 is the hardest.  The trick to Form 3 is the order of kill.  Take out Lefty, then Righty, and finally the Head.

As for picking what skills and spells to use, I'll give you a list of his resistances, and a list of skills and spells that have element flags (anything else has 0 flags, and is subject only to his Defense value...which isn't especially high).

Form 1 and 2 are humanoid, so no special property to exploit (Metal/Undead/Dragon).

Form 1 Resistances
0% Frizz / Zap
20~30% Bang / Woosh / MP absorption
50~70% Sizz / Fire Breath

Form 2 Resistances
0% Frizz / Bang / Woosh / Zap / Strike  <<-Priority here
20~30% Frizz / Ice Breath / Fire Breath
50~70% Crack

Form 3 Head Resistances, Form 3 is also Zombie type  <<-Undead Undoer = 1.5x damage. Zombiesbane = 1.5x damage.  Both = 2.25x, w/ Oomph = 4.5x, w/ Muster or Focus Strength = 9~11.25x  (Muster/Focus multiply Attack based physical damage for only the next round by 2~2.5x)
0% Fire Breath   <<-Priority here
20~30% Frizz / Zap    <<-priority here...technically this is the time you use element neutral attacks, like Undead Undoer and Falcon Slash
50~70% Sizz / Bang / Crack / Woosh / Ice Breath

Form 3 Right Hand
0% Frizz / Bang / Zap / Ice Breath / Fire Breath / Strike   <<-priority here
20~30% Sizz / Crack / Woosh
50~70% N/A - everything else is immunity

Form 3 Left Hand
0% Zap / Ice Breath / Fire Breath / Strike  <<-priority here
20~30% Frizz / Bang / Crack / Woosh
50~70% Sizz

Now for a list of various skills/spells with properties.  Everything else has 0 properties...

Frizz =  Spells [Frizz, Frizzle, Kafrizzle]
              Skills [big Banga]
             Weapons [Fire Claw(Hit, Use), Fire Blade(Hit)]

Sizz =  Spells [sizz, Sizzle, Kasizzle]
              Skills [Flame Slash]
             Weapons [Lightning Staff(Use), Cautery Sword(Use)]

Bang =  Spells [bang, Boom, Kaboom]
              Skills [Lightning Slash, Lightning]
             Weapons [Fire Blade(Use)]

Crack =  Spells [Crack, Crackle, Kacrackle]
              Skills [Kacrackle Slash]
             Weapons [icicle Dirk(Hit, Use), Blizzard Blade(Hit)]

Woosh =  Spells [Woosh, Swoosh, Kaswoosh]
              Skills [Gust Slash, Tidal Wave, Stomp, Wind Sickles, Thin Air,
                      Pearly Gates, Megamorphosis]
             Weapons [staff of Divine Wrath(Use), Watermaul Wand(Use)]

Zap =  Spells [Zap, Kazap, Kazapple]
              Skills [Lightning Storm, Gigaslash]
             Weapons [sunderbolt Blade(Use), Sword of Ramias(Hit)]

Ice =  Skills [Cool Breath, Chilly Breath, Freezing Blizzard,
                      C-C-Cold Breath]

Fire =  Spells [Puff!]
              Skills [Fire Breath, Flame Breath, Inferno, Scorch, Magma Blast,
                      Pyre o' Fire, Magic Burst]
             Weapons [Magma Staff(Use)]

Dazzle =  Spells [Dazzle]
              Skills [sandstorm, Dazzleflash]

Sleep =  Spells [snooze, Kasnooze]
              Skills [sweet Breath]
             Weapons [Dream Blade(Hit)]

Death =  Spells [Whack, Thwack, Kathwack]
              Skills [Pressure Pointer, Fissure, Death Dance, Body Slam]

Poof =  Spells [Poof, Bazoom]
              Skills [shove, Heave-Ho]
              Armour [Tempest Shield(Use)]

Drain MP =  Spells [Drain Magic]
              Skills [Weird Dance, Tap Dance]

Fizzle =  Spells [Fizzle]
             Weapons [staff of Antimagic(Use)]

Confuse =  Spells [Fuddle]
              Skills [Fuddle Dance]
             Weapons [siren Sword(Hit)]
             Access. [Lucida Shard(Use)]

Reduce Def =  Spells [sap, Kasap, Tongue Bashing]

Poison =  Skills [Poison Breath, Venom Mist]
             Weapons [Cobra Claw(Hit)]

Stop =  Skills [sultry Dance, Leg Sweep, War Cry, Tongue Lashing,
                      Puff-Puff(Females), Tongue Bashing]

Paralyze =  Skills [burning Breath]
             Weapons [Poison Moth Knife(Hit), Ferocious Fangs(Hit)]

Seal =  Skills [ban Dance]

Strike =  Skills [Knuckle Sandwich, Puff-Puff(Males), Stone's Throw,
                      Boulder Toss, Multislice]

Summon =  Skills [summon, Call to Arms]

This isn't really advice...just chiming in. It took me a while to finish VI. I think it's the whole time-travel aspect of it that throws me for a loop. That's why to this day, I've yet to finish Zelda: Oracle of Ages. And, DW7. I've never even removed the second disc from the case.

This isn't really advice...just chiming in. It took me a while to finish VI. I think it's the whole time-travel aspect of it that throws me for a loop. That's why to this day, I've yet to finish Zelda: Oracle of Ages. And, DW7. I've never even removed the second disc from the case.

There's no time travel in DQVI ;).  There is in 5...sort of, and 7 is all about that.

VI should be right up your alley, as it's based on the general concept of many cultures, that the psyche (or soul if you will), is a dream body, and some are aware of this, some are not (depends on what characters are met in one world, versus the other).  It's almost the center point of many story elements throughout the game.

Though indeed, it's about 2x longer than Dragon Quest V, if we completely disregard the remake's Pachisi/T'n'T tracks.  It's got a lot of padding to the story, a ton of bosses, and of course the pacing is designed to allow some class/vocation growth, so it really is a long game.

That's right - I misremembered. I identified the aspect of different realms as being separate or alternate timelines, if you will. Keeping up with the differences in each realm is what I had difficulty with.

I probably focused too much on the dream aspect of the game while playing, in terms of analysis. To Freud, dreams were mere creative realizations, culminating as unconscious wish fulfillment. Jung felt there was more of an organized structure to the unconscious mind than just wanton creativity. The game somewhat blended those two ideas - unconscious thoughts being realized and put to use in a conscious state (latent to manifest content transformation). In that sense, it was a very intuitive game.

• Upvote 1

Dragon Quest VI was my least enjoyable experience in playing a Dragon Quest game ever. It had a really strong beginning and it definately has a unique feel to it, but once the world opened up, it got needlessly confusing with very little info to go on as to what my objective was. It had a million different ways to travel AND it had a second realm, which was also annoying to traverse to and fro. I spent most of the time consulting a guide as well. It just wasn't fun, which is why it's weird that I burned out at the very last boss when I had made it the whole way up to that point.

Dragon Quest VI was my least enjoyable experience in playing a Dragon Quest game ever. It had a really strong beginning and it definately has a unique feel to it, but once the world opened up, it got needlessly confusing with very little info to go on as to what my objective was. It had a million different ways to travel AND it had a second realm, which was also annoying to traverse to and fro. I spent most of the time consulting a guide as well. It just wasn't fun, which is why it's weird that I burned out at the very last boss when I had made it the whole way up to that point.

That was my main gripe with the game: It opened up a bit too much, with thin clues.

Oddly, that same thing is what I loved about Dragon Quest II.  I think the difference is that VI had such a tight story, that opening it up without strong clues to support was a bit jarring on me.  DQII was more about the exploration and piecing together of the clues that were given.

It's only about 1/50th of the game that's like that though...literally from Murdaw to Jamirus.  The Queen clearly tells you that it's odd you haven't realized your a prince yet, given Carver and Milly, and you should go out into the world to find out who you are, perhaps your real self.  The other problem is, even with Murdaw's defeat, the Dream World is still present where it shouldn't be, you still have your dream body, not your real body, and monsters have not decreased.  So there is some direction, and only a limited number of places to go to:  Howcastle, Scrimsley, and Arkbolt...that's it, so it's not really free roaming as in the concept would imply or allow.

I can see why the general census is what it is, and it would've been nice if there was something more sinister going on, like a ravenous beast is found in scrimsley, and someone crawls into the queens chamber, broken and beaten.  Only to go there and find the beast was defeated long ago by Amos...so what's really going on?

Then give Amos two bits of dialogue: 1) If you tell him he's the terror, he leaves, but lets you know that Arkbolt is having trouble, and he was thinking of heading there, but doesn't want to burden that country with his beast form, so maybe we should go check that out since we look strong.  2) If you give him the seeds and he joins, he tells you he was going to head to Arkbolt whenever he felt up to it, since he heard they've been in desperate need of help from very strong people.

Well, the issue isnt just not knowing what to do, but where to go. You dont even know where these places are, nor that they even exist, yet you need to visit in a certain order. Take one wrong turn and you're facing down monsters you shouldn't be fighting until 10 levels later. I remember the underwater boss being particularly hard to locate.

• Upvote 1

Eh, I dunno. There were quite a few times where I was not sure what to do next and it took a bit more effort than I'd expected to figure that out, which distracted me from the story.  It's been long enough that I don't remember them all though. I've been meaning to start a new throughout of it, so maybe I'll see what it's like a second time through.

Eal, there are only two spots like that.  One is the Somnian well in the Real World, when you first get there...that's like 20 level jump, pretty scary.  The other is after getting the floating island, and the lands just South of Alltrade's, especially the well there.  It's doable, but yeah, very intense battles.  Especially the Trolls.

Mystical...ah, I had forgotten about the second period of an open game: After the Mermaid Harp.

The idea is to explore and find new stuff, and eventually you come across some scholars that tell you about Sorceria and the Undersea King, Poseidon.  Then another about the flying carpet.  Finally there's another set of scholars and books that tell you about the Legendary Gear.

At least after getting the Mermaid Harp, no area that is accessible with it, is beyond your ability to access, but it does make the world pretty wide open, except for ONE spot: the Undersea Castle with two really rough guardian battles blocking two sets of chests.

For this reason, the following can be done in any order:

- Get the Legendary Helm and find the real world Weaver's Peak.

- Get the Legendary Shield.

- Raid undersea Treasures

- Get the Final Key and raid more Treasure

- Level up/Class up and beat the treasure guards in the Undersea Castle between Arkbolt and Scrimsley

- Find Chateau de Sass and compete in the Best Dressed Contest

- Find the special warp to unlock the Slime Arena in the dream world, then go there and compete-

- Do the events in Mt. Snow to get the Rusty Sword, and then events in Longadeseo to get the Rusty Sword reworked to it's original form...can't finish it though until after getting the Magic Carpet.

- Defeat Gracos and unlock Sorceria

The only one needed to complete the story at this point, is to kill Gracos, then win round 3 of the Best Dressed Contest for the Rug, then have Ashlynn do her thing in Sorceria, then unlock the Rug.

After that, do the Legendary Gear..., the only one that cannot be done with the others above being the Armor, which needs the Magic Carpet.  The Sword can even be done last of all, as if the other gear is complete, rest at the Inn, and it's done!

After that it's normal fare, just have to find the point where you use the Legendary Gear to get to the last sealed off place that can supposedly help unlock what's really going on.

There should have been markers added, or at least something that indicates a larger demonic presence.  Not like Morty had much to do in his funhouse.  He already won, his generals are being killed one by one.  You'd think he'd make more of an entrance, somethign to spur on the party to find out how to stop him.  Like an invasion of Somnia.  Tania getting kidnapped...something interesting.

So yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realize you're right.  I still thoroughly enjoyed the experience though, as it made a nice transition into DQ7.

So...Eal, did that help at all?

Haha I'm sure it will. I actually haven't gotten to around finishing it off yet...... Smash Bros. has gotten me into its hooks.

Regardless, thanks for the assistance! I'll sift through it when I eventually circle back to Dragon Quest VI.

On 10/15/2014 at 2:48 AM, eal said:

Regardless, thanks for the assistance! I'll sift through it when I eventually circle back to Dragon Quest VI.

I circled back to it lol.

Obviously I managed to dig up this old topic. Shoutout to @ignasia for his tips from over 5 years ago.

• Like 2

Can I retroactively insert a DQVI dig here? I'm disappointed in myself for not doing so 5 years ago.

It’s never too late to dunk on VI.