Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U thread

So I just wanted to create a topic based on the latest Smash Bros. game. I got the 3DS version at launch, and I've really been enjoying it. Been maining Greninja, because of his speed and attacks, though I've also started to use Ptooey and Ludwig. As usual, I've been doing versus matches with three stocks, but I also enjoy the Smash Run mode. I've also unlocked every character and stage yesterday.

Feel free to discuss whether you've been playing it (and what your favourite character is) or plan to do so (and what you plan to play as).

Edited by Chanticleer Hegemony
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You keep mentioning DLC but you have no evidence of this nor do you explain it.

No, it's the same as the Earthbound Zero ROM. The only difference is that Nintendo has finally released it after 20 something years.

Funny, I just unlocked the Santa Hat in the 3DS version right as Christmas is a-coming.

I've unlocked 2 players so far (Ness and Falco). I'm finding the controls a bit touchy at times, but nothing too bad. I'm looking forward to being able to defeat AI over a difficulty of 5.

Got the game at midnight launch a local Gamestop where they also held a Brawl tournament. I've unlocked all characters, but not all the stages.

It's too bad we can't share replays. Just last night I used Little Mac vs. Little Mac on a 1 vs 1 For Glory mode online, and had a flawless 0% damage win. Took down this person's 2 stock Little Mac without taking any hits from him, haha.

I currently enjoy using these:

1. Shulk

2. Little Mac

3. Wii Fit Trainer

I play a very laid-back style with Shulk, and that has netted me many victories, as opposed to being aggressive, as per what people expect. Love his counter as I can almost always tell when people will attack, especially when I am not being aggressive, since this makes it look like I am an easy target just because I am walking or attacking on occasion.

I also noticed I have a knack for using Toon Link really well, as I've won some of my hardest matches with him, but I can't really say I use him alot. I tend to use characters who I like, not necessarily who I will win with. If anything, Wii Fit Trainer has gotten me the best results, though I actually like that character. 

I'm a bit disappointed that Lucas isn't in the game, but I heard rumour that he will be DLC, along with Ice Climbers and Wolf.

Ice Climbers, Wolf, and maybe Lucas (?) are supposed to make an appearance as "secret" characters in the Wii U version.

I also expect to see a lot of Little Mac players when I get the game and play online matches.

Lucas is already out for the 3DS version in Japan.

Where did you hear that? He's in the game as a trophy, but I've heard or seen nothing saying Lucas is playable as of now.

Anyway, I just picked up my copy and can't wait to play! Looking forward to playing as Pac-Man, Little Mac, and Dr. Mario (SOOOOOO happy he's back in).

Yeah, I didn't hear that at all. And I believe DLC characters are still rumors; nothing solid quite yet. The roster's a little over-stuffed as it is.

I also expect to see a lot of Little Mac players when I get the game and play online matches.

Almost every Little Mac I come across tends to lose. Little Mac is strong and super fast, but gets knocked out easily. When using Little Mac, stay in the center of the stage and avoid trying to be a hero, unless you really, REALLY know what you are doing. If you get knocked off the stage even slightly, the chances of you recovering are very slim.

I'm a little surprised, but Robin has been my main for the most part. He's (I use male) challenging to keep alive, but manageable and satisfying when you win. He's best suited for team matches, but holds his own 1v1. If playing online, look for a green male Robin. :P Fair chance its me.

I want to like wii fit trainer, but having a hard time handling her. She has weird hitboxes with slightly lagged smashes.

Unlocked all stages and characters already, just doing some challenges and online matches.

So I tried my hand at a few For Glory matches with Greninja. I lost. Every one of them. Proving even more that I suck verily at any Wi-Fi match not relating to Dragon Quest Monsters. If you have any tips, never tell me, because I don't know.

Also, I tried beating the Master Core at 9.0, again with Greninja, but I lost against that too. Again, I chose not to continue.

Edited by Chanticleer Hegemony

It's not necessarily you. I'm not familiar with the tier list but Greninja could just be at the lower end of it.

He's actually considered to be pretty good (according to the Japanese) but he's hard to use due to his speed, which is an understandable reason why he'd be kind of tough to control.

Speed is an especially important thing to me when it comes to picking a character. I often find myself having a hard time using a fast character like say Fox and would rather play a slower character. I'm given to understand Rosalina is a pretty slow character, which works out perfectly for me.

I'm hoping to get Smash on Friday. Can't wait to go nuts with her and Lucina. I know she's a Marth clone but I've always been pretty strong with him so again it works out perfectly for me.

Nothing wrong with playing a clone by any means. I'm a Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Roy man myself, and boy let me tell you was I happy the Doc is back in the new Smash. He's actually pretty different from Mario this time (in terms of how his specials work) and the same can be said for Lucina.

Having said all that, the clone character who really shouldn't have gotten a slot on the roster was Dark Pit. Sakurai, why you gotta rub Kid Icarus: Uprising in our faces with this sh(DIAMOND!)?

I'm bummed that neither King K. Rool nor Wolf are in it (3DS version, at least; no word on the Wii U version), but...

I've actually enjoyed playing as Ptooey, despite him being a clone of Pitty Pat. I can see where you guys are coming from, though.

I think people were just upset that spots on the roster were taken by clone characters. It's a fair point, but this roster is bloated to begin with. Most of the last 20 character have really just been the icing on the cake at this point.

Don't forget that we can always get DLC. Also, I got Dr. Mario today. I'm so excited because he was my main man in Melee.

Don't forget that we can always get DLC. Also, I got Dr. Mario today. I'm so excited because he was my main man in Melee.

I still want to know where you heard Lucas was in the game, by the way. SOURCE ME, DAMN YOU!

Oh, I nearly forgot! I just unlocked perhaps the funniest/most unexpected character to be added to the roster. Definitely gonna have a lot of fun with this one.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Who? Come on, there's no spoilers for the roster. We all know who is and isn't in the game.

I figured my clue would make it obvious who it was. Besides, some people might not know/want to know who's I'm keeping hush hush for a bit.

It's a newcomer, and "they" are a retro character. That's all I'll say.

Yes. Best new addition (aside from Pac-Man, of course).

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I still want to know where you heard Lucas was in the game, by the way. SOURCE ME, DAMN YOU!

Find a Japanese person and ask them to take a screenshot.

I'm only happy about the Duck Hunt gang being in because then, I can finally kick the dog's ass. Even so, this is surprising.

Oh, and one of the colourations somewhat resembles Banjo and Kazooie (possibly the closest you can get without Microsoft's legal hounds on your ass).