Sign in to follow this  
eal

SATURDAY MORNING CARTOONS ARE DEAD (and so is my childhood)

http://www.slashfilm.com/saturday-morning-cartoons-dead/

For the first time in decades, there is no Saturday morning block of animated television on major networks. The CW was the last channel to host Saturday morning cartoons and has put the last nail in the coffin and commit to the ground its programming block, Vortexx. This Saturday was the first Saturday without cartoons.

Wow that sucks, Saturday was the best for cartoons. Satuday Supercade with Pac-Man, Q*Bert, Donkey Kong, and DK Jr, Space Ace and Pitfall. Then the others like Pole Position, Dukes of Hazzard, Pandemonium, Hong Kong Fooey, Richie Rich, Smurfs, Dungeons and Dragons and I am sure a bunch I am forgetting

• Upvote 1

Yangus i feel for you and everyone els i know some program that dud only air on suturdays but my childhoob has been in ruin for years they do not air any cartoon i watcht as a kid any more worse is that kids theas days almost only watch realety shows and i dont mean like sons of anarchy but those shows that comes from the deeps of hell those kinda shows

Dude, Saturday morning cartoons started to die with Pokemon. :|

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURRTLES HEROS IN A HALF SHELL TUTTLE POWA

Can't forget my favorite Saturday morning toon: SpaceCats! 

Naturally I watched Captain N, Smurfs, Garfield and Friends. In the early 80s there was the Saturday Supercade and the Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show.

Gotta think more... memories flooding back.

At least today I have SpongeBob. My wife hates it when I put it on at 11:30 at night when the kids are asleep.

Dude, Saturday morning cartoons started to die with Pokemon. :|

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURRTLES HEROS IN A HALF SHELL TUTTLE POWA

I always felt they started dying in 1992 when NBC killed their cartoon lineup. Man, I was sad. Despite having hit puberty and only watching a select few (which I still now can enjoy as an adult), it seemed like a major culture shock.

My shrink was taken aback when I was 15 and told her I tend to reminice (whatever the spelling). Even though I spent ages 11-20 in the 90s, it was a decade I really couldn't relate to, especially the rock music.

• Upvote 1

I remember having my dad wake me up early on Saturday mornings to watch Transformers.  This makes me sad on many different levels.

I never watched Saturday Morning Cartoons. Then again, I hardly watched cartoons at all. Or any TV, for that matter. My Transformers were Spyro, my Ducktales ware Crash Bandicoot, and my Dragon Warrior was, well, Dragon Warrior... Except I spent way more than 13 episodes' worth of time on that.

I'm the odd man out here. I watched WB's cartoon lineup every Saturday so I was happy to hear they were the last ones standing at the end. But anyways, I'm the weird one because my Saturday morning cartoons were the Kids' WB and Fox Box lineup. I'm talking Pokémon, Digimon, Superman: The Animated Series, Batman: The Animated Series, all the assorted old Warner Bros. cartoons they aired over the years, Yu-Gi-Oh! and the like. Since my mom would just turn the TV on to whatever channel on Saturday mornings, I also vaguely remember seeing an episode or two of Card Captor Sakura.......

They may not all be classics, most of them weren't even good, but dammit I was a kid and I loved my crappy cartoons.

Yangus i feel for you and everyone els i know some program that dud only air on suturdays but my childhoob has been in ruin for years they do not air any cartoon i watcht as a kid any more worse is that kids theas days almost only watch realety shows and i dont mean like sons of anarchy but those shows that comes from the deeps of hell those kinda shows

Apparently I was part of this conversation before I even knew about this topic.

Anyway, sucks to hear that. I always watched Kids WB, One Saturday morning on ABC, and so as I grew up. I would always tune in to watch Yu-Gi-Oh!, Kirby: Right back at ya!, and Jackie Chan Adventures.

Oh! I forgot Jackie Chan Adventures. Surprisingly not bad. I thought it was funny how there were a lot of cartoon tie-ins for movies but this was the only one that tied into an entire person. I also vaguely remember I cartoon about The Mummy; The Mummy: Secret of the Magi and one about Men In Black.

Speaking of Men In Black, Forget Me Nots was playing on the radio at work today.

Apparently I was part of this conversation before I even knew about this topic.

Anyway, sucks to hear that. I always watched Kids WB, One Saturday morning on ABC, and so as I grew up. I would always tune in to watch Yu-Gi-Oh!, Kirby: Right back at ya!, and Jackie Chan Adventures.

Jaaaaccckkkiiiiieeeee!! One more thing!!!!

This doesn't surprise me really... Kids these days are spoiled with Netflix and Hulu and probably can't be bothered to tune in to cable TV.

There were so many good cartoons to watch on Saturdays. I'd get up early in high school as well to watch all the cartoons on TV. Super Mario Show, Mummies Alive, Bugs Bunny, Recess, Pepper Ann, Kirby, Digimon, TMNT ( new and old and even that short live action one), Fighting Foodons, Sanic (old and new).... The list goes on and on!

I can now tell my kids that back in my day we had to wait a whole week to see the next episode of whatever show I loved! Ha! Wait....that's sad...

I'm assuming this means Cartoon Network will have no cartoons on Saturday morning?  :P

• Upvote 1

This seies did not aur ib the mornig but 1 show i really liket was kalido star but i remeber the only show i sometimes i did get really erely to see was avatar the last airbender i know that it air really erly in the morning

I'm assuming this means Cartoon Network will have no cartoons on Saturday morning?  :P

Well, they have no special block anyway, but then CN never had a Saturday Morning special block that I was aware of, except to play runs of the favourite cartoon cartoon (this was up until like 2011 or so).  I remember the morning watching Courage the Cowardly Dog, or Samurai Jack, or Powerpuff Girls, or Cow and Chicken...then there was Dexter's Lab, and who can forget Johnny Bravo?  Then again, it's hard to call it "Cartoon Network" when a good portion of their shows are no longer cartoons, especially in the adult swim block.  They've also thrown away all the good original concepts they had for cheaper imitations of other shows...though I'll give some props to Ben 10 for originality, that Adventure Time exists at all means humanity should consider sacrificing itself before we start splitting up into two separate groups of people.  One that are stupid, beautiful, and are called, on their 20th birthday, to enter the underground, whereupon 1/3 are selected to be the food for the other half of the population: a nebulous, cruel, barbaric cannibalistic culture that is no more cultured than the common house fly, but lives only until the next day to eat...soylent green.

Seriously though, it's a very sad state of affairs.  I weep with you Eal.

Goodbye Robotech.

Goodbye Lion Voltron...I used to have a really expensive "made-in-Japan" Go-Lion action figure of you, and a Lion Voltron action figure.  Wonder what I did with them...

Goodbye Vehicle Voltron...I had a vehicle voltron too.  So awesome, but I prefer Lion, much like I prefer my Wars to my Trekking.

Goodbye Dragonball.

Goodbye Dragonball Z.

Goodbye Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.

Goodbye Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears, and their secret to Gummi Berry Juice!

Goodbye Darkwing Duck.

Goodbye Rescue Rangers.

Goodbye Thunder Cats and their spectacular reimagining!

Goodbye He-Man and the less ambiguously gay remake, and the even less-so remake after that!

Goodbye She-Ra and the...oh wait, She-Ra never saw a remake.

Goodbye Transformers...damn the remakes, they're all trash.

Goodbye Beast Wars.

Goodbye Beast Machines.

Goodbye Silverhawks.

Goodbye Duck Tales.

Goodbye that show with characters from the jungle book, but done up like a Duck Tales universe...main character was named Baloo, a pilot, and his sidekick was Kit Cloud-Kicker...who would ride behind the plane, holding to a rope handle, on a sort of boomerang cloud-board.  Damn did I ever want to do that.

Goodbye Toxic Avengers.

Goodbye Marvel Super Heroes.

Goodbye Spiderman and his Amazing Friends.

Goodbye Superman.

Goodbye Superfriends.

Goodbye the only really awesome Batman cartoon, Batman: The Animated Series...and it's only slightly less awesome remake.  Mark Hamill = best joker ever.

Goodbye Dungeons and Dragons.

Goodbye everything awesome because Don Bluth existed.

Goodbye Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, it's solid, but more serious remake, which was more like the comics, and bah humbug...good riddance to the second remake.

Goodbye Smurfs...and I refuse to associate with the movies.

Goodbye Gnomes.

Goodbye Rugrats, the original.

Goodbye the only years that were worth watching of Scooby Doo, the '80's.

Goodbye Animaniacs.

Goodbye Ren and Stimpy, and for that matter, so long to the days when Nick toons meant quality...ok they still do, but they never replaced R&S.

Goodbye Blackstar.

Goodbye Brave Starr.

Goodbye Fraggle Rock.

Goodbye Shirt Tales.

Goodbye Snorks...may your underwater adventures continue ever on...

Goodbye Sonic The Hedgehog, the ONLY good version of that show, where he had a girlfriend, and it was based on the actual game, unlike the two cartoonish junk shows to follow it, especially that one with the guitars and music, and...wtf was that about anyway?

Goodbye Mighty Orbots.

Goodbye Mr. T, the cartoon, may your cartoon self forever pity the fools as your real world self, and WoW self continues to do.

Goodbye Airwolf, one of the few non-cartoons that saw some Saturday morning reruns, but was awesome.

Goodbye The A-Team, one of the three non-cartoons that saw some Saturday morning reruns, and was totally awesome...props to having Mr. T.

Goodbye KnightRider, the third of the trilogy of awesome non-cartoon shows to see Saturday morning runs.

Goodbye Carebears, and My Little Pony, and Strawberry Shortcake, and uh...oh yeah, Rainbow Bright...for keeping the little girls happy and for something to fight over the remote for with my sister.  You'll be missed regardless that I didn't like you...ok, so Care Bears was kinda cool.  I mean who doesn't want to live in Care-A-Lot, and sure it was a bunch of liberal propaganda, but darnit, it had good villians...of which I cannot recall any names.

Goodbye Reading Rainbow, which did see some near mid-day, but still morning on Saturday runs...while not a cartoon, and technically not a show, it rocked.

Goodbye Mr. Wizard, which was on sometimes on Saturday mornings, and was...well, it was awesome.  Explosions, and wizardry, I mean science!  Learning and stuff.

Goodbye Pee-Wee's Playhouse.  Sure you were a freak, and should've gone to jail, probably for life, and had his balls cut off, since that's what people like you deserve, but the show was funky and fun!

Goodbye Inspector Gadget, may Penny and Brain rest well knowing you can't harm yourself or anyone else while trying to solve crime.

Goodbye The Real Ghostbusters...may slimer, err, slime you all?  Eh, I don't know where to go with this one, but err, hail Venkman!

Goodbye G.I. Joe

Goodbye Beetlejuice, that went totally separate from the movie, and makes him out to be a good guy...eh, it was fun.

Goodbye Gargoyles and a solid attempt at reinventing the concept of Saturday Morning Cartoon story-flow!

Goodbye Wuzzles...and yes I owned several of those pouched things as a kid.

Goodbye Denver The Last Dinosaur...he was my...*sniffle, blows nose* ..fff....*sobs*  frien.....d...*sobs again*....and.....a whole lot...LOL, no I can't go on with this charade, but seriously it's like what Barny stole from, only Barny really WAS a "whole lot more", and not in a platonic way either.

Goodbye Battle of the Planets.

Goodbye Dino-Riders...I had EVERY action figure, especially that uber-large T-Rex.  Had him battle Voltron...psh, no chance.

Goodbye Captain N: The Game Master.

Goodbye Legend of Zelda, the cartoon...oh yeah, they made one!

Goodbye Super Mario Bros....keep doin the Mari...oh wait, no, no, don't ever do that again.  EVER!

Goodbye original Johnny Quest and it's uber sweet remake.  Poor Race Bannon and Haj.  Always pulling the highstrung lad out of trouble.

Goodbye Thundarr the Barbarian...a total knock off of a bunch of other shows, with some Conan rips to boot.

Hmm, there are like 2 or 3 other shows I used to watch that I'm forgetting...oh well, goodbye to all ya'll.

Wait here now ignisa did you see disneys gumy bears i thougt that only aird in sweden but one thing ikä know for sure my favorite show was a cartoon calld troll tales only aird in sweden and the suranging lands but mose aird in sweden so if you can swdeish u sugest that you look it up but still that was a good cartoon

Yo Yogi, the Mr. T. cartoon, Little Clowns of Happy town, Flintstone Kids

The only exposure I've had to Saturday morning cartoons was Kids' WB/Toonzai and the Fox Box/4KidsTV. But yeah, it is sad to see a big part of our childhoods go.

Rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.

Solo, yeah we had that cartoon, only it was brought here pretty late, a bit after I stopped watching on saturday mornings (due to being in college).  Cartoon Network played it for the 2000-2002 run.  I had heard about it though.  Maybe I'll check it out when I have some time.  I haven't watched cartoons in years.  About the only thing I have in some time, is the entire Samurai Jack tv show.  Man that show was great...unfinished, and now they can't since Mako Iwamatsu's death.  Such an iconic voice.  Did they ever air that show in Sweden?

Heh, nah, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears was totally a US production first.  Glad to know it was shown in Sweden.  I hope more countries had the pleasure of watching that show.  It was my favourite Disney show.  I always wanted to have some Gummi Berry Juice...and then I watched The Neverending Story, and my desire was for a dragon friend to ride...totally wanted my own Falcor.  Sad though, they they made a subpar cartoon of the Neverending Story.

Speaking of stuff that originated in Sweden, the Gnomes show I mentioned above, is called The World of David the Gnome, and was initially aired in Spain, but was based on a Swedish children's book called The Secret Book of Gnomes.  Pretty good show that Nickelodeon picked up in the US.

OMFG, I just remembered another awesome Saturday Morning Cartoon!

Goodbye Pirates of Dark Water!

Swing your arms from side to side...

The only cartoons from my childhood that lives on is i think gummi bears (pretty sure they started airing it agine atlest in sweden) i also remeber samurai jack even to i wasent a big fan of it i would watch it from time to time but courage the cowerdly dog gave me nightmare as a kid and i still dont like it but it is a part of my childhood so i can live It is atlest better than what they are airing today

I own a lot of my childhood cartoons on DVD (namely Pokemon and Spongebob), so this doesn't overly bother me. I guess it helps that I haven't been able to watch Saturday morning cartoons since I was about 8.

Who needs DVD? All my Pokemon episodes are on VHS.  :P

I have a few Pokémon episodes on VHS myself. The one with the Clefairy, the one with the boxing match, and one with the sleeping Snorlax. I also have a Rugrats VHS lying around somewhere.

That's one cool thing about Netflix. If/when I have kids, I can make them only watch the stuff I watched as a kid instead of the crap on Nick and Cartoon Network right now.