Sign in to follow this  
rmcin329

DWM1 where to farm for good exp?

I've recently picked up playing again after a long absence from the game and can't remember what gates give good exp(both overall and currently).  At the moment I'm supposed to beat A class in the arena next, but need to do a bit more grinding first.

It's been a while since I've given the game a good playthrough, but I do know there are metaly / metal slimes near the end of the gate that's in the well. Mind, that gate can be accessed a good while before reaching A rank so the experience you can get from the gates you got for beating B rank might be overall better. (a normal battle in the well will give you around 50 - 100 exp, while each metaly is worth a little over 1000, at least when you're using a full party)

Hmmn i'm not sure if my monsters could hurt a Metaly honestly.  Currently gate of temptation(cannot defeat boss battle) is a good chunk of exp 480-610 roughly on the last few fields of the gate.  I found the game a bit too easy just running with boss monsters before, so this time around i'm running with a Slime, Slimenite, and a Picky.  Obviously it took a bit to get the Slimenite but was worth it.  I'm tring to use simple monsters that I can inbreed and not wind up with a new monster.  With the Slime that doesn't seem to be possible(would wind up with a Slimeking), so i'm going to breed it with a Spotslime(still results in a Slime as long as the Slime is pedigree).  The Slimenite and Picky can just be bred with more of themselves and keep the same monster so far(about to do first breeding).  I'm hoping that gaining a few + doesn't screw them up and turn them into something else on me.  I was originally using a gremlin for a healer, but low lvl limit caused issues there.  Did a bit of gremlin/gremlin breeding to try to fix that and after 2 or 3 times wound up with something else entirely unfortunatly.

Edited by rmcin329

Okay here's an update.  The first breeding is now complete, i'm now running with a Slime+3, Slimnite+4, and Picky+4.  It took a fair bit of work to get just that much done, so I haven't leveled them past 1 yet.  Hopefully their new stats will be enough to beat the temptation gate and A class at the arena, and more.

UPDATE

Okay I spent some time leveling them up they are now at Slime+3: lvl 20, Slimnite+4: lvl 23, and Picky+4: lvl 27.  Their stats are comely along nicely, but still need to fill out more, A class at the arena is still a problem.  Outside of that I opened and completed the Medal Man gate, adding a few more monsters to my collection, which now totals 96(not quite enough for library gate).

UPDATE AGAIN

New levels are 24, 26, and 31 respectively.  I could probably already finish A class if i wasn't stubborn about having all of my monsters survive.  The main problem seems to be the grizzlies in the second battle.  illusion helps to mitigate their attacks somewhat, but not enough it seems.  But next level my Slimenite will finally gain healall(mp has been a bit of a barrier to getting it).  Though I will probably gain more levels beyond that, to build up some more attack, defense and hp to work with.

Edited by rmcin329

Okay here's the first update for today. I leveled my +3 slime to 25, +4 slimenite to 27, and +4 picky to 32, which netted me healall.  With that in hand I went back for another round at A rank at the arena again.  Honestly the main problem before was lionex casting infermost, healmore had been having issues keeping up with its damage output(and the occasional hit from the grizzlys despite illusion being cast on them).  This time around healall was able to keep up with the damage the lionex was dishing out and very few hits from the grizzlys got through the illusions my picky cast on them.  At the end of the fight my slimenite had only 12/82 mp left from all the healing it had been doing.  One quick cast of illusion and a few turns later the 3rd fight was won easily.  Next up i'll be off to explore the new gates opened up and hopefully catch enough new monsters to open the library gate for use.

On a sidenote I haven't challenged the boss of temptation gate since i bred my monsters, I need to go back and try to take care of that fight.

Edited by rmcin329

Okay time for today's update.  I went through the gate of labyrinth and defeated Darkhorn at the end of it.  Monster levels are now Slime+3 lvl 30, Slimenite+4 31, and Picky+4 lvl 38.  Next time i play i'll clean out the boss in the gate of temptation, then probably try to go through the gate of judgement, or library gate(haven't decided which  yet).

Playing on visual boy advance, and i'm already aware of the turbo option.

Sounds like you're having fun, and now that I'm set up with my iOS GB emulator, I think I may go back to DWM1 next. But, feel free to try DWM3: Caravan Hearts at some time. A game we never got but that was finally fan translated in 2008. I played it the day that happened and just started playing again the other day. Good fun, albeit a much different game than DQM.

I already have my own save file on DWM3 caravan heart and my own topic about it as well.  In short i stopped work on the game at the moment because of my Slime requiring 25k exp or so per lvl(rapidly going up mind you) and only being able to get 300-1000 per fight along with having to stop to rest at an inn every few fights.  Most of this has already been gone over in far greater detail in my topic for the game.  Even with turbo trying to level up my Slime on there is pretty ugly.  But if you want to ask more about the particular of my problems you can read about it or ask questions over on the topic for it http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24703&page=2.

*casts revive on topic*

Ugh I didn't mean to leave this topic unupdated for so long. :(

I just wanted to put out there that I plan to work on this game some more in the near future(probably after I try fighting a spirit boss again on caravan heart).  I've progressed to the point of just needing to do the starry night tournament now, and i also plan to try to do the 99 floor dungeon that is only accessible via gameshark code.  I never knew about that dungeon when I played through the game using boss monsters before, so it should be entertaining to see how my Slime, Slimenite, Picky team would fare in such a place.

Overall DWM caravan heart hold a bit more interest for me as i've never seen its true ending, but its going to just about drive me crazy if i fail to defeat the spirit boss again at max levels of 59, 59 and 61.  Ah well, you can read about that in my other topic, when I get around to trying a spirit boss fight again, which will probably take a couple more days, unless I skip out on caravan member hunting.

EDIT

I also wanted to ask again for good gates to level up again, now that I think i have most of them available(i think some open up after starry night tournament though....).

Edited by rmcin329

I know that metal slimes were suggested in an earlier post on this topic, but honestly they're a PITA to find and when you do find one they just run away 7/10 times.  I suppose if nothing else i'll just check the bottom floors of a few gates myself for rough exp numbers, but any suggestions are welcome.

Breeding on this game is going to be hellish.  Basically since my Slime, Slimenite, and Picky all are maxed out right now I have to catch A slime, A SpotSlime, 2 SlimeNites, and 2 Pickys.  Then I have to raise all 6 of them, breeding the Spotslime as the pedigree to create a SpotSlime to breed with my main Slime, raise the 3 new monsters and then finally breed them with my main monsters and then raise the new ones after that.  I hope beating that 99 floor dungeon doesn't require a lot of breedings, because this process will get a whole lot more ugly if it does.

My main monsters have already bred once, and as so they have +S already.  I plan to only breed them with a monster that has the same amount of +S hence the mess i've described above.  Overall though because exp isn't as hard to gain in this game, the whole process will likely go faster then my efforts on DQM Caravan heart ever did.  I wonder if this game will record past 99 hours, i'm already gett8ng close with 89 hours 55min recorded.  Anyway look forward to a new post with some more info sometime later today.

Edited by rmcin329

Okay minor update.  I've caught all 6 monsters that I need, though I haven't started training them yet(ones not being currently worked on will be kept asleep at the farm).  I'll probably edit this post later today after some training has been accomplished.

EDIT

Okay time for the update i promised.  In short, I raise monsters so that they all have the same amount of total exp earned on them.  So, starting out i got one of my new Slimes and Pickys to evened out experience, while bringing along my already maxed out Slimenite to help protect them(the other main monsters are asleep at the farm and the others that i need to raise for breeding).  So far they're up to 2006 exp points.  A freshly caught Slimenite starts out with a whopping 45,000 exp points, so there is a ways to go yet before I can introduce one of the caught Slimenites into this little group.  I know this isn't a lot of progress, but my failure earlier today on DQM caravan heart killed quite a lot of my interest for DQ stuff in general, though certainly not all of it.  I'll see about making a fresh post in the morning when I continue things further.  If anything more is done tonight, it'll get edited into this post in the usual fashion.

Edited by rmcin329

Okay last update for tonight.  The total exp on the previously mentioned monsters is now up to 13574.  Things will actually slow down once they reach 45,000 exp and a not yet bred slimenite can finally join the mix.  Why? Well thats simple really, they have $#!& for max mp, so it'll only know heal despite being a whopping level 25. :baa:   I could probably boost its stats a little so it'd learn healmore quickly, and probably will though probably not beyond learning healmore.  Of course my already bred currently maxed slimenite already knows healall, but it still has $#!& for max mp honestly.

Total play time is up to 95 hours and 22 minutes.  The play time though I suppose isn't entirely accurate.  In tests i've run just a few seconds(less then a minute) of turboing even just walking around, can add 4+min onto the play time clock. So that means i've really spent less than 95 hours playing, but if i hadn't been turboing then everything i've done up to this point would have taken that much time basically. :whoa: .  At this rate i'll probably find out tomorrow if the game clock will record past 99 hours 59min or not, but I just thought i'd share this bit of news with everyone.

Edited by rmcin329

Time for the first update of today.  The Slime and Picky that are currently being trained are up to 27,836 total exp.  They're getting closer to what the sleeping wild Slimenites at the farm have.  I'll probably post another update later in the day but for now, here is the stats of my currently maxed out Slime(+3), Slimenite(+4) and Picky(+4).  If there are any questions or comments feel free to post.  I did not include their skills in these screenshots, but you can pretty much guess them for yourselves, since i already stated how breeding is being done(again i hope it doesn't cause issues down the road).  Slime is being bred with Spotslime, Slimenite with Slimenite and Picky with Picky.  Obviously its the Slimenite and Picky that worry me, but hopefully nothing goes wrong.  With the Slime things are fairly simple, whichever i use as the pedigree is what the newly born monster will be, so its pretty easy to take care of things there.

Honestly i wish that my Slime DIDN'T have the stats to know megamagic.  So far against all random monsters i've fought its not proven itself to be worth the cost at all.  I've seen my Slime cast it at full mp and nearly drained as well, it really doesn't seem to have much impact on the dmg as far as i can tell.  From what i've seen on an overall basis its basically similar in dmg to a firebolt, except that it could in theory be cast for less mp, say 3 instead of coughing up 10.  For random battles thats great, it means more casting from my Slime.  For battles at the arena it sucks ass.  Basically at the arena it means that within probably 5 turns at the most, my Slime will consume all of its mp and then have no more for the rest of the fights.  Yeah, not exactly very helpful especially since the dmg is nothing to write home about.

DWM1%20slime%20stats.png

DWM1%20Slimenite%20stats.png

DWM1%20Picky%20stats.png

Edited by rmcin329

Sorry folks, I wound up being busy this weekend when I didn't expect it.  In any case, i've now gotten the previously mentioned Slime and Picky up to 45,000 exp allowing me to swap out the maxed out Slimenite for one who isn't(also 45,000 exp).  Now I just have to raise these 3 until they hit max level.  On a sidenote, I also spent 15,000 gold or so on books to change the personality of the new Slimenite to humane, so that it would actually bother to heal its companions instead of just flat ignoring them.  I'll try to get some more done later in the day, but i'm not sure if i'll get around to it or not.

Okay time for an update today.  The unbred Slime Slimenite and Picky(basically ones NOT shown in the screenshots from a few posts ago), are now up to 57,062 exp.  I fed the Slimenite 3 mystic nuts before doing anything today so that it would learn healmore at level 26(it was at a max mp of 40 before i did this and now a max of 57 at 26).  Heal is too pathetic at such a level, so I had to force the matter really.  I'm hoping that healmore will permit this team to fight effectively in the medal man gate.  I had to grind in the Well to get healmore, which was ugly since 9.5/10 of the metalys ran away.  Average fights in the bottom of the medal man gate will produce around 700-1000 exp a fight.   Where as in the Well gate, if you defeated a metaly in a fight you get about 1100-1200.  I consider the Medal Man gate the better deal because the numbers i provided apply to all fights, not just the occasional fight like in the Well.  Progress is a bit on the slow side overall since i'm working on other games as well, but i'll see about trying to find some more time for this later today(hopefully).

Edited by rmcin329

Okay I got some training done in the medal man gate, but it was somewhat ugly with such low max mp on the healer.  I used save states to dodge fights with reaper monsters or rogue knights.  Both are very bothersome for these unbred monsters to deal with to say the least.  The team is up to 79,169 exp now.  After getting out of the gate i discovered that my Slime's personality had dropped from Rebel to coward. The other 2 weren't affected that i could tell.  I think what happened is that running away from fights lowers the hidden "brave" stat which caused my Slime's personality to change as well.  I bought a quest book, for 5000 gold, to fix him up again.  Next visit into the gate i'll just stick to the first 5 floors and warpwing out when I'm done that way I don't have to buy more books due to that sort of problem.

EDIT

Also of note the game clock is stuck at 99 hours 59min, too bad it won't record more then that.

Edited by rmcin329

Also of note the game clock is stuck at 99 hours 59min, too bad it won't record more then that.

How long has it been at 99:59? If this is very recent and you want to keep time you can probably hex edit it back to 00:00 and keep a separate log of how many times you've had to reset it.

Its only been at 99:59 a short time.  I honestly don't know much about hex editing.  Of course i'm not sure how long it'd take to max out again, in an above post i described how turboing affects it, and while raising new monsters for breeding purposes with my main ones, i tend to spend most of the time turboing through battles and even getting into them.  Basically 30ish seconds of turboing translates to around 3 or 4 minutes being recorded on the in-game clock.  Even if the game clock could be found and reset, i have to wonder if anything else would anonymously get screwed up in the process.

Edited by rmcin329

I've finished a little more work, but its still going to be awhile before things really go anywhere.  In short the trio of unbred monsters i'm working on is up to 103,251 exp.  That makes them Slime=lvl 27, Slimenite=lvl 28, and Picky=lvl 34.  Yeah still a ways to go with max lvl limits of 38,39 and 38 respectively.  Don't forget that after i finish this trio, i still have the other trio of unbred monsters to worry about too.  It'd probably help if I was putting in more time but oh well.

EDIT

The trio is now up to 132,970 exp or about 2 levels higher for each of them.  I'm going through potions like candy training these guys and that 200g price tag sure adds up fast.  Between books I bought before and potions, i'm down to 22,000 left in the vault and maybe 300g on my character.  That includes the fact that my inventory contains 15 potions right now heh.  I'll probably let it slide down to 15,000 or so left then go to a slightly easier gate to gather up items to sell and stray piles of gold.  Seems how i'm only going as deep as field 5 in the Medal Man gate, that doesn't allow much chance to search for stuff.  Going deeper means an almost certain chance of getting cursed by reapers on a regular basis, not to mention Rogue knights who would be constantly healing their companions.  WIth this unbred trio its best not to deal with such things :baa:

UPDATE

Okay this is the last update for tonight.  The group is up to 185,373 exp now.  Well for those who can still earn exp anyway, the Picky is maxed out(don't plan to switch any of them out til all 3 hit max lvl).  In short their current levels are 32,32,38.  If I put in some effort I can probably have them maxed by the end of tomorrow, letting me start work on the other trio(Spotslime, Slimenite, Picky).

Edited by rmcin329

Time for the first update of today.  The exp of the unbred Slime,Slimenite, Picky trio is up to 255,330 now.(well for those who aren't already maxed anyway).  In short that makes their levels 35,35,38.  The first 5 floors of the Medal Man gate were feeling generous this time, giving me 3 bolt staffs, 2 world dews, a rib, a worldleaf, and a porkchop to sell off.(total of about 2,685 gold or so from selling all that)  There was also a Def seed in the items found as well, but that went into storage.  Not a bad haul really, it almost pays for the 15 potions to be taken into the gate with me.  I'll see about trying to max out these monsters a bit later today.

Time for an update.  Okay the Slime, Slimenite, Picky trio is maxed out and sleeping at the farm.  The next trio to work on for breeding is Spotslime, Slimenite, and Picky.  I've managed to balance out the Spotslime and Picky at 280 exp each, the Slimenite is at 45,000 and will be sleeping at the farm until the other 2 catch up.  Like the last time my +4 Slimenite is filling in, in the meantime to make things a bit easier and quicker for those 2 to get to 45,000 exp eventually.  I'm down to just over 16,000 gold in the vault so I might have to stop and farm for some more gold after getting those 2 to 45,000 exp.

I mean ugh its going to cost me about 15,000 in books to get that Slimenite to humane personality again and after that i'll need quite a chunk for potions for training too.  Any suggestions for trying to earn gold?  I have unlocked and completed the reflection gate and have most of the gates in the game available to me(a few are locked til after starry night i'm pretty sure).  I know that if i go into too high of one i'll have to haul potions along for mp for my +4 Slimenite, it still only has 127 max mp sadly.  I'll probably try to figure out the first gate to have sirloins and try to sell them off maybe.  The only other choice I see would be to cheat and just gameshark myself the books saving a whopping 15,000 gold.  Don't forget that i'll need even more gold after the breedings for books.

TIme for the first update of today.  The Spotslime, and Picky are up to 11,224 exp and still being helped by the already maxed +4 Slimenite.  That makes them lvl 19 for teh Spotslime and 22 for the Picky.  I'll see about getting some more exp for them later today and updating this post.  If anyone has any questions or comments about things feel free to post them.

WALL OF TEXT WARNING :)

Here is another update.  Due to the books being so over-priced and not being sure of how to make gold quickly I decided to flat cheat for the books with gameshark codes.  I also cheated for and used 3 mystic nuts to again boost the Slimenites MP just barely enough for it to learn Healmore upon leveling up once.(yes the previous 3 were cheated as well)  Mildly put if i had bought these books plus the ones i would need in the near future to finish this mini-breeding chain it would've cost 45,000 gold grand total.  That doesn't even attempt to include the cost of all the potions i'm going to need as well.  Between the vault and what my character has on hand I have a piddly 19,000 gold.  I don't think that's even enough for all the potions honestly, and I don't see a shop that sells elf water.  Honestly it just didn't seem worth spending the hours to try to earn that gold and hope that I was lucky enough to find the mystic nuts too(the nuts would've been easier for sure).

Anyway long story short is that the Spotslime, Slimenite and Picky are all at 45,000 total exp, meaning I just need to max out their levels now.  Basically they are at levels 25, 25, and 28 respectively.

EDIT

For those curious where I came up with the 45,000 gold needed for books read on.  If you don't care, or can already figure it out for yourself, then you don't need to read the paragraph below.

First 15,000 would've been paid(if i hadn't cheated) for 3 books for the current Slimenite +0 that i'm trying to get to max level, along with the SpotSlime and Picky(both +0 too).   After maxing them out I plan to breed Spotslime + Slime to create a new Spotslime.  Then i'd breed Slimenite + Slimenite to create a new Slimenite, finally i'd breed the 2 Pickys as well.  I then would need to check the genders and pay the egg checker npc(her name escapes me right now) to change their gender according to whatever i might need.  Then after hatching that new trio i'd need 15,000 (making 30,000 total so far) for the new Slimenite to get a half decent healing personality.  After that trio maxed out I could finally breed them with my other already maxed out trio of Slime +3, Slimenite +4 and Picky +4 creating the new trio i'd finally use to try to beat the Starry night tournament once they grew up a ways.  Of course for that final created trio i'd need yet another 15,000 gold to pay for books again, making the 45,000 total.

Of course I am aware you can change a monsters personality by battling as well, but its tedious to try to create a semi decent one for healing(the other 2 monsters' personalities really don't matter as much to me).  Anyway sorry for the rant, I just felt like explaining some of what is going on in my game.

EDIT AGAIN

All of the above mess is assuming that a newly hatched monster starts out at Ordinary for personality, honestly its been awhile(due to my very long break from the game) since I did breeding so I might be completely off on what personality they get newly hatched.  I know the ones i've been catching for breeding, have had Ordinary.

If for whatever reason i'm wrong on what personality they get freshly hatched then i'll re-assess things after maxing out the current trio of Spotslime Slimenite and Picky and finishing the initial breedings.

Edited by rmcin329

Not a lot of progress has been made yet today, but some has been nonetheless.  I spent just enough time in the gate in the Well, to get my Slimenite to level up for healmore.  This puts the trio at 59,164 exp or 27,26, and 30 respectively.  I also found 2 elf waters and 2 miststaffs and a sirloin even while wandering aimlessly down there.  I decided to take advantage of these good finds and save state scum up a shop towards the bottom.  While elf water sells for a whopping 2000 gold that way, they still aren't exactly common so making gold that way would be somewhat slow still.

UPDATE

The Spotslime, Slimenite, Picky trio(again all are +0 currently) is up to 124,483 exp.  Basically that puts their levels at 31,29, and 36.  I don't think i mentioned it before but their level limits are 37,40, and 42 respectively.

Edited by rmcin329