Extended Gameplay Sequence Plus Trailer

This is really exciting, I think the good thing about this style of DQ is that it will bring non traditional action RPG players such as those who liked the Legend of Zelda games and Dynasty Warriors in the fold.  Traditional JRPGs for the most part is still a niche community in the US though.

It looks amazing!!! When they show previous DQ characters in the bit at the end, are they insinuating they're gonna be in gameplay? Or did they just add them in because it looked cool?

It looks amazing!!! When they show previous DQ characters in the bit at the end, are they insinuating they're gonna be in gameplay? Or did they just add them in because it looked cool?

I really hope that they allow them to be playable characters.  Of course that would mean that somehow they have to weave their worlds into the story too.  I'm sure however it is, it will be epic for sure!

I really hope that they allow them to be playable characters. Of course that would mean that somehow they have to weave their worlds into the story too. I'm sure however it is, it will be epic for sure!
Because they did that so well for the monster arena in DQVIII?

I really hope that they allow them to be playable characters. Of course that would mean that somehow they have to weave their worlds into the story too. I'm sure however it is, it will be epic for sure!
Because they did that so well for the monster arena in DQVIII?

Yea you got a point there with Sir Ragnar and Torneko.  Wished they had been made playable characters :).

I think since it was bonus content that you unlocked as a side quest it was more of a cameo appearance.  I do have a theory on the whole worlds of all the entry series.  I think that they are all one huge world just separated by dimensions, and maybe one day.  One Epic entry will explore that and all the heroes may make a return.  Of course some of them would be from different time eras.  Like the first three games, then the next three, DQ VII world, and DQ VIII, etc...

I still can't get past the ultra-realistic graphics being used on a Dragon Quest game. These cartoon monsters look too detailed and realistic. It's like those pictures you'll see on the internet of what a Pokémon like Charizard would look like in the real world. Dragon Quest doesn't need to look that nice just because they can. They don't do it for the Dragon Ball games.

This is one step closer to modern Final Fantasy. Is that what you guys want?

• Upvote 1

I still can't get past the ultra-realistic graphics being used on a Dragon Quest game. These cartoon monsters look too detailed and realistic. It's like those pictures you'll see on the internet of what a Pokémon like Charizard would look like in the real world. Dragon Quest doesn't need to look that nice just because they can. They don't do it for the Dragon Ball games.

I think it's just a gimmick to attract more western audiences to the game.  It may just work.

That's a weird complaint.  It just goes along with the style of this particular side game.  It's like complaining the monsters in Rocket Slime are too cutesy.  As long as it follows Akira Toriyama's designs, then I'm all for it.   

• Upvote 1

It's taking Akira Toriyama's artstyle and making it look hyper-real. Akira Toriyama's cutesy artwork worked in Rocket Slime because he tweaked his own style to suit the artwork necessary for the game, whereas the game takes his artwork and makes it look more realistic with its more powerful graphics. Dragon Quest games have always had a level of cartoonishness to them but Heroes looks like it takes that cartoonishness and gives it a realistic edge prevalent in modern games that doesn't gel with typical Dragon Quest style. A dragon in Dark Souls might look amazing on a PS4 but not a Green Dragon in Dragon Quest.

• Upvote 1

It's taking Akira Toriyama's artstyle and making it look hyper-real. Akira Toriyama's cutesy artwork worked in Rocket Slime because he tweaked his own style to suit the artwork necessary for the game, whereas the game takes his artwork and makes it look more realistic with its more powerful graphics. Dragon Quest games have always had a level of cartoonishness to them but Heroes looks like it takes that cartoonishness and gives it a realistic edge prevalent in modern games that doesn't gel with typical Dragon Quest style. A dragon in Dark Souls might look amazing on a PS4 but not a Green Dragon in Dragon Quest.

Sorry but I disagree.  I think all the enemies so far look amazing in this game, especially Cyclops.  I don't buy your "cartoonish" argument either.  Sure, some DW monsters go that way but I don't really think Green Dragon from DW1 or the Dark Eye from DW2 are all that "cartoonish".     

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dw2nes/monsters.php

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dw1nes/monsters.php

Besides, relax, it's just a side game, not a main series game that's taking this direction.  

I wouldn't say it's driving me to a point that I'd need to relax, but the look of the monsters themselves doesn't sit right with me. Too detailed. The characters themselves and the gameplay look just fine. I'd more then likely buy it on day one since it's got a PlayStation 3 version as well. Actually, come to think of it, this game doesn't seem to require much understanding of Japanese. I might even import it for my PS3 shortly after it comes out.

On a side note I'm glad this topic is winning on views over "Bewbs".  For a while there, I was worried. XD 

On a side note I'm glad this topic is winning on views over "Bewbs". For a while there, I was worried. XD

That reminds me, I need to look up more bewbs as I've been spending too much time on here.
  • Upvote 1