Sign in to follow this  
Erdrick The Hero

Raising Awareness through Gameplay

As many of you know, I've been trying to Let's Play a variety of games on my YouTube channel. Unfortunately, as of yet, formatting issues have kept me from actually editing (and therefor uploading) any of the videos I already have recorded. (Thanks Yahweasel... Your Linux formats are of no use to a Windows user...)* Although my current recordings are stuck in limbo at the moment, I think I've found an alternative method of recording that will work with my setup. I've also successfully streamed on both Twitch and Hitbox in the past.

This brings me to my main point: Would it be helpful to the campaign(s) if I (and others) were to promote the series on YouTube and streaming sites such as Twitch/Hitbox with my gameplay? I plan on LP'ing some Dragon Quest games anyways, but if it would help, I can focus mainly on the Dragon Quest series instead of letting it mingle with other content. If so, what games would be the most beneficial to focus on?

I've got some ideas that I've compiled into a list:

-Dragon Warrior VII (PS1). This obviously is to show that there is Western interest in this particular story, as one of our biggest goals is to get the remake of DQ7 here.

-Young Yangus' Mystery Dungeon (PS2). This will show that not only is there a general interest in DQ here, but even in the spin-off titles. Also, with Yangus as the main character, it may draw in veiwers whose only experience with the series is VIII. (NOTE: I'll have to order this game from ebay, but I've been planning to do so for a while anyways as it is EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE.)

-Dragon Quest (iOS). This could bring in old fans of the series who played the original NES version, or played the GBC remake. Also, it's short and sweet. Plus it shows off the excellent mobile ports.

-Dragon Quest VIII (iOS). This could bring in fans of the series who started with VIII. Also shows off the excellent mobile ports. (Plus, with this version I won't constantly complain about how SE borked up the American version XD)

Not necessarily in that order.

*Yahweasel has actually been a lot of help to me. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have been able to record what I've got. Unfortunately, he had me record everything in Matroska format/container, which for some reason won't convert into a Windows-ready format/container properly even though FFMPEG should be able to convert it fine.

I'd be ok with it if you did any one of those.

I have an idea I'd like to propose. Why dont we make a group channel on YT thats all about raising awareness for DQ? It might be taken abit more seriously if we could get alot of people in on it. Just a thought.

I'd be ok with it if you did any one of those.

I have an idea I'd like to propose. Why dont we make a group channel on YT thats all about raising awareness for DQ? It might be taken abit more seriously if we could get alot of people in on it. Just a thought.

Well, we're already going in that direction with the Art contests, so...yeah, I say that's a great idea.

Whenever I have a new computer I'd be happy to help out from time to time.

What would you like the group to be called if it was to be made?

I also need to know who all would be interested in participating.

The Rester's Quest.

That's actually a good play on words, especially given how popular DQ9 was...and for newcomers to the series, it's damn popular.

"So let it be written...So let it be done!" - King Lorik

XD

I was referencing Saigan, who happened to reference DQIX. XP

Soooo... What am I supposed to do with this? If I post gameplay videos, it will detract from the views on my own channel.

I was thinking maybe we would all get together and LP a game and talk about different DQ topics while doing so.

Besides if it takes off you could always use it to plug your own channel. : P

The only multiplayer DQ games in America are fortune street and DQ9. I currently don't have the means to rip either game. (Damn Nintendo... If these were Ps2 or PSP or PS1 they'd be easy to rip and stream.)

PSP games aren't region locked, though, and there's a partial translation for Itadaki Street Portable. (With CFW you can use a PSP as a USB UMD drive for your computer to emulate games.)

It could either be a multiplayer game or we could just do group commentary on a standard DQ game.

Its up to you guys. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Edited by Tesla

Group commentary sounds good. Now, here's the problem: I can only record on Mondays between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm PST. Most people work during that time. But this is the only time off the week that I have the time to work and can guarantee that I won't be interrupted.

I'm sure we find an arrangement that works for everyone. We just to plan ahead for it.

Now we need volunteers to help with it.

Could we do a fan game? I've been thinking of doing Crysta's Dragon Quest Remix, but I just played through dq1 iOS, and I think playing the game again right away would be boring. But it would be fun to play it along with other people. It would be cool too see other people's perspectives on the game.

If ButThouMust is interested, I think it would be really cool for us to play some version of dq1 with her, because she knOws so much about it, and could compare whatever version we play with the Japanese original.

Who would you like to be doing the gameplay? Me or some other LPer?

The group channel could have a "favorites list" with the works of other DQ fans and the members of the group.

It would then have its own group videos that could be used to remind watchers about these lists. Then you would get views on your own channels, as well. AND the group would have some videos already available to start with.

Thats a good idea. Multiple lists means multiple chances to spread the word.

Who would you like to be doing the gameplay? Me or some other LPer?

Well, I need to fix my computer first, but I might have a way for all of us to have control at once. Or be able to switch control. I haven't had a chance to try it yet though, so I don't know if it would work.

BUMPDATE:

I can now play Itadaki Street Special PS2, which is QUITE superior to Fortune Street Wii despite not having a completed translation. (Fully playable though.) If you guys wanna play that, I'd be able to record/stream/whatever. (Up to four players!) Also, again, if ButThouMust, or any other japanese/english speaker here would like to play, they are welcome! Unlike most fan-translated games, the japanese font is still in the game, so the untranslated messages are intact and could be translated by somebody who knows both languages. (If they are willing.)

I'd be up for it...just keep in mind I know next to nothing about these games so I might not have much to say. XD

Ah, the commentary will come mostly from you guys complaining while I wipe the floor with you. I mean, ButThouMust said that if she can find the time, she'd be interested in joining us, so we may get to hear some of the in-game chat!

Are we gonna do this?

At some point yes. Having trouble finding people interested in it tho. Kinda frustrating.