Sign in to follow this  
Eccadairius

Warrior's Ring

What does the Warrior's Ring do in Dragon Quest I for the IPhone

Adds to strength I believe.

Or just attack power. Either way, you're stronger.

Thanks. I love killing those Metal Slimes! 775 EXP per Metal Slime!

Lucky you. I went 0 for 10 on them.

They clearly don't respect your authority as the Platinum King, Platty. Perhaps you aught to show your metal mined subordinates who's in charge.

Lucky you. I went 0 for 10 on them.

They clearly don't respect your authority as the Platinum King, Platty. Perhaps you aught to show your metal mined subordinates who's in charge.
Maybe I subconsciously couldn't bring myself to harm my little cousins.

As for not changing attack power, Hmmm... There has to be some reason for the ring.

Hm...Just checked and didn't see a stats change with the ring equipped or not. Must be a placebo ring.

There was a topic I saw just today where someone said it didn't work in DWI, but has in all the versions since. Huh. Odd.

It's not worked in any version. One npc will say something different if you wear it and some people swear it makes you able to escape better. It does nothing stat-wise in any game

I might be confused with the Scorpions near Tantegal thing. Oops. But damn, I always thought that ring did something. Disappointing.

If it does anything in new games it either is related to  you/enemies running away (I've hardly seen anything but metal slimes run personally. usually just regular slimes) or it boosts your crit rate in the new games and nobody's bothered checking. If it does boost crit it's pathetic though, I went through all of the snes version without a crit after getting it and I crit like 5 times on the android version after getting it which was many many battles.

It gives you the ring of a warrior.

Finally Made LV 30 on Dragon Quest and tomorrow the Dragonlord will DIE!

Interesting and perhaps tangentially related fact: it is not possible to get a critical hit against the Dragonlord in the NES version.  Anyone know if this is also true in any of the newer versions?

I'll just say this.  People who have hacked DQ1, every version, in Japan, have found the Warrior's Ring gives no stats, never has.  No effect on critical hits.  No calls in the code for it, nada.  This goes for the original FC release, the DW1 NES release, the I+II FC release with Nintendo's US changes, the SFC remake I+II, and the GBC remake I+II.  It remains the same with the Wii anniversary releases (which changed nothing from the FC and SFC 1+2 releases).  So it stands to reason the mobile would retain it with the same no-stats.

About the only thing the Warrior's Ring is good for, is to get the player to level up fast in a trial run dungeon that is a massive spike in difficulty over the general area the dungeon is found, and the monsters in the area where the NPC's are that point to it.  It's a status symbol more or less, and a good testing ground and quick leveling area for the next phase of the game.  That's it.

As far as I'm aware, the code never makes any calls or checks for the ring at any point.  So it plays no part in helping out in battle, whether to run, or to crit, or anything.  Any belief or testing outside of code diving that indicates otherwise, is pure speculation and based on poor sampling...ie, it's a nice theory, but it's false.  Doesn't mean you can't believe it has a purpose.

Could also be there is another purpose for it, and simply put, no one who has code dived looked deep enough to find it, but unless someone wants to make an effort, it's for the status of having beaten a really rough dungeon at an early level (supposed to go between 7 and 12).

The only accessory that has any real positive benefit is the Dragon Scale.

There's an NPC in Rimuldar who mentions rings and his dialogue changes if you have it equipped.

That's literally the only purpose it serves.

Edited by The n00b Avenger

There's an NPC in Rimuldar who mentions rings and his dialogue changes if you have it equipped.

That's literally the only purpose it serves.

Ha, that's new to me.  Next time I won't put it in storage asap, or sell (NES).

the I+II FC release with Nintendo's US changes,

Huh? Tell me more!

the I+II FC release with Nintendo's US changes,

Huh? Tell me more!

The original Dragon Quest I and II, as you probably know, were repackaged together and sold.  With them came a battery save, and the sprite/tile changes to the NES release that Nintendo put in.  So really only changes to DQ1, save for the battery, which I think was still a password in the original DQ2?  Do you know?

This is the first I have heard about Japan getting a 1+2 FC re-release.  I always figured the SFC remakes were the first time they got an enhanced experience on those games. 

This is the first I have heard about Japan getting a 1+2 FC re-release.  I always figured the SFC remakes were the first time they got an enhanced experience on those games. 

This. I couldn't find anything about a famicom version with a quick google search either.

No, I know what happened.  I'm wrong about that.  There was no repackaged rerelease of DQ1 + 2 after DQ3.  I thought there was, but I think it was just a misconception on my part with probably this video, and not fully paying attention

Skip to 58 seconds into it.  I somehow assumed the blue backed copy was a Famicom release, and the other copy he had was the SFC release.  When really they're both SFC releases, one is just an aftermarket fan translated version someone put onto a cart and created a special packaging for it to give it authenticity.

Sorry guys, I don't know where my head was at.

Ha ha, no worries man.  I was all excited to check those out though.