Sign in to follow this  
ButThouMust

The Road to Dragon Quest / The Making of Dragon Quest

Hey, folks,

I'm curious whether anyone has, has scans of, or can otherwise help me find a copy of "Manga Dragon Quest e no Michi" (マンガドラゴンクエストã¸ã®é“), which may also be known as "The Road to Dragon Quest" and/or "The Making of Dragon Quest."

Basically, this is a manga-fied version of the story of how DQ1 came to be, and it was published in 1990 by Enix in Japan.

As you might imagine, I'm interested in tracking this down and, perhaps, if time permits, working out a translation if it hasn't already been done.

A shot of the cover is here if you want to look.

I didn't see it in the scans section of the page (though I might have missed it), and eBay hasn't turned anything up for me. If anybody's got a copy they'd be willing to part with (condition's irrelevant as long as all the pages are there and legible), or if anyone knows of scans, I'd be rather grateful for the heads up. Additionally, if we've got any Den members currently in Japan, is there anyone who'd be willing to take a look on my behalf on your next trip to Book Off? You would be my new hero.

Thanks!

I've got it and could get some scans a little later on. It's a pretty thick book. Translating would take some time, and honestly, I'm not sure if it would be worth the trouble. Can't say I've ever heard too many people talking about it.

This sounds interesting! Unfortunately, I'm unable to aid you in your quest for this book, but I wish you luck!

I've got it and could get some scans a little later on. It's a pretty thick book. Translating would take some time, and honestly, I'm not sure if it would be worth the trouble. Can't say I've ever heard too many people talking about it.

If you could, Dwaine, even a little at a time, that would be awesome--and if we happen to meet up anywhere (Faire, a con, etc.) I will totally buy you a drink if you imbibe, or a suitable substitute if you do not. More than anything I'd like to read it for my own entertainment and edification; the translation, if I find myself capable and equipped with the time, is more a by-product, sort of like with the novel (which I need to get an update out for) and the FC manual. Both are simply interests of mine that I figure someone, somewhere, someday might be curious about.

Here's an album of a few randomly selected pages up until about halfway. It's a 300 page book. I'm not sure if it was written by Horii or not. I'm sure it's a highly romanticized story of the game's creation. It does touch on Horii's tennis game and the detective game whose name escapes me at the moment.

Here's an album of a few randomly selected pages up until about halfway. It's a 300 page book. I'm not sure if it was written by Horii or not. I'm sure it's a highly romanticized story of the game's creation. It does touch on Horii's tennis game and the detective game whose name escapes me at the moment.

Looks pretty cool! Thanks for that! The detective game would be the Portopia Serial Murder Case.

300 pages is an awful lot to ask anybody to scan, though. (I thought it might possibly be shorter, alas.) No doubt it is highly romanticized, but I'm fairly curious about it all the same, so I'll keep an eyeball out on the various auction sites going forward. :)

No doubt it is highly romanticized, but I'm fairly curious about it all the same, so I'll keep an eyeball out on the various auction sites going forward. :)

It could instead be amped on the comedy/parody, too. I have seen quite a few (manga) creators place themselves in ridicule situations or being humbled when drawing their own "behind the cameras" story. Like all their staff telling on how they are slave drivers and then they cry apologizing and thankful for everyone's hard work (without which he or she alone could not achieve anything). Or they will tell how they could not even find a few hours to sleep and staying at the office/studio in improvised beds.

The same could perhaps be true for this. Now I want to see it. :D