Sign in to follow this  
Aeana

A thread for my tinkering with DQ10

You don't need to bump the thread. We'll post when we have something. I assume timk has been busy, since I haven't heard from him in a few days. I'm sure he has plenty of other stuff going on.

Yep, that'd be my day job keeping me busy :)  But I'm still working, and still making progress.

• Upvote 1

So, how do we sign up to test this (assuming we can yet)? I just started up as a Pupliko Theif (although I haven't actually played online yet... Gotta remember my Japanese SE account password.)

Its gonna be a long while, they still deciding if they gonna open source it for others to help translate things and whatever they think needs to be done I believe.  Soon as they can confirm the proper tools can be made to do it.  

Ill be buying a Stable VPN and DQX sub once they put out some Alpha translation patches we can test.  

Well I suppose doing it in chunks in some manner be more managable. Like how the game is split into continents and such.

Well I suppose doing it in chunks in some manner be more managable. Like how the game is split into continents and such.

In theory, as a player, that sounds logical, but technically, in the data files and such, it's not quite that cut and dry.  As always, no promises, but most likely we'll show things for the offline portion before anything online.

In theory, as a player, that sounds logical, but technically, in the data files and such, it's not quite that cut and dry.  As always, no promises, but most likely we'll show things for the offline portion before anything online.

Aye, I imagine the dialogues and text in each of the files probably goes randomly everywhere.  Like you have a file that contains dialogue for the elder ogre in the starting village, and also somewhere in there, dialogue for the Demon Lord going on a rant, etc.  Heh such fun. 

But yea, up to you but if you do decide to create the tools to translate Online, and a website, ill post around about it to find those who want to use your tools to help translate.  I wont ever expect something as extensive as the PSO2 Tweaker those guys made for the PSO2 translation, but at this point, gotta assume SE is gonna keep DQX JP Onry.  

Edited by Alexandrious

Well, I know this will take a while, but I'm excited for it. I just started the online campaign and realized... I have no f***ing idea what to do. I can't rely on the tricks I use to play other DQ games with, because this isn't linear. (Or at least, it doesn't look linear.) And the world is HUUUUGGGEEEE!

Still, if I can get into a party with some other Den members, and we regularly play together, I'll probably buy the game and subscribe. The world is soo big and sooo beautiful... Is this what DQ8 fans feel?

Well, I know this will take a while, but I'm excited for it. I just started the online campaign and realized... I have no f***ing idea what to do. I can't rely on the tricks I use to play other DQ games with, because this isn't linear. (Or at least, it doesn't look linear.) And the world is HUUUUGGGEEEE!

Still, if I can get into a party with some other Den members, and we regularly play together, I'll probably buy the game and subscribe. The world is soo big and sooo beautiful... Is this what DQ8 fans feel?

Your best start is to post int he Den thread. There are wikis that have walktrhoughs too. 

Still here... We are privately testing a site where Aeana can start adding some translations. Meanwhile, I'm reworking some of my tooling so I can easily deploy.

Still here... We are privately testing a site where Aeana can start adding some translations. Meanwhile, I'm reworking some of my tooling so I can easily deploy.

Yes... Yesssssssss... YESSSSSSSSSSSS! MwahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!

It's going to be a while, guys.  It's not even in an "almost ready" state. Progress of the actual translation was stalled for several weeks while timk worked on the tools. And it's important to realize that this isn't an extension of my menu translation project, it's a replacement that had to start from scratch. Sure, all of the translations I came up with can be migrated over, but everything else has changed. We're only just now getting to a point where translations can resume, but the goals have changed now that we have more capabilities.  So while I may have been nearing a release of my menu patch before, we're not there at the moment in the reborn project.

The first goal is now to release a translation for the first offline portion of the game.  After that, I'd personally like to go ahead deliver the menu translation as I promised.  I have a good amount of the menu strings translated, but there's a ways to go on that. Fortunately, many of them are also used in the offline portion so the work will overlap. With that said, as a teacher, I am very, very busy this time of year, so the free time I can devote to the project is temporarily pretty thin. It'll all clear up in a couple of weeks at most.

timk's tools seem to be coming along really well. He's been working on a web interface for editing translations that will most likely very soon be ready for many translators to be working on stuff at once. Once we reach that point, bringing on new translators should be doable, and I'm hoping we can find at least a couple of very capable people to work with us.

Bottom line is, though, that this isn't something you'll be seeing in a few days or even a week or two.  I'll be happy if we get the offline mode translation out by the end of the year. Ecstatic if we can get both that and the menu translation out by then (and this isn't that unlikely, so don't lose heart). I'm sure we'll both be doing our best to make that happen. 

Ya if you waited for any kind of translation project chances are a long time coming. If anything im glad there is progress!

While it was not translating the text really, when I was translating the official website (not the Hiroba one) I was never able to come up with a translation I liked for 申し子. I guess I could probably come up with a better translation now that the game is out and I know the story better. Will be interested to see Aeana's choosen translation.

Edited by Mimas

Are you still interested in helping out, Mimas? IIRC your mom said you'd offered to help earlier on, when things were still kinda in flux. I'd be happy to have you helping us out, even if you can only contribute a little bit, especially since you're much more familiar with the game at this point than I am.

As for 申ã—å­, there's not a very good universal translation for that, since it can be used like "gift of god" or "heaven-sent," but it can also be used like "poster child," or to be used to describe someone who was heavily influenced by something. i.e., a common phrase is 時代ã®ç”³ã—å­ "product of the time"

In this game (as well as DQ9), it seems to be used in instances like "ツメã®ç”³ã—å­." Looking into it, that particular title was translated as "Nail Technician" in DQ9. While I'm not particularly happy with that specific rendering, I think something along those lines is the way to go. Clearly the meaning here is someone who's looking really promising with their proficiency. Stuff like that usually takes me a while to figure out a good translation for.

It's going to be a while, guys.  It's not even in an "almost ready" state. Progress of the actual translation was stalled for several weeks while timk worked on the tools. And it's important to realize that this isn't an extension of my menu translation project, it's a replacement that had to start from scratch. Sure, all of the translations I came up with can be migrated over, but everything else has changed. We're only just now getting to a point where translations can resume, but the goals have changed now that we have more capabilities.  So while I may have been nearing a release of my menu patch before, we're not there at the moment in the reborn project.

The first goal is now to release a translation for the first offline portion of the game.  After that, I'd personally like to go ahead deliver the menu translation as I promised.  I have a good amount of the menu strings translated, but there's a ways to go on that. Fortunately, many of them are also used in the offline portion so the work will overlap. With that said, as a teacher, I am very, very busy this time of year, so the free time I can devote to the project is temporarily pretty thin. It'll all clear up in a couple of weeks at most.

timk's tools seem to be coming along really well. He's been working on a web interface for editing translations that will most likely very soon be ready for many translators to be working on stuff at once. Once we reach that point, bringing on new translators should be doable, and I'm hoping we can find at least a couple of very capable people to work with us.

Bottom line is, though, that this isn't something you'll be seeing in a few days or even a week or two.  I'll be happy if we get the offline mode translation out by the end of the year. Ecstatic if we can get both that and the menu translation out by then (and this isn't that unlikely, so don't lose heart). I'm sure we'll both be doing our best to make that happen. 

Eh, I know, Im just putting up those pics due to my twisted sense of humor. 

Just echoing what Aeana has said about timeline... I was actually thinking similar timelines, to hopefully have at least a basic alpha patch available for people to start messing with as a Christmas present to the community.  I'm glad our sense of timing is similar :)

For me, I have very little ability with the Japanese language, so most of my contribution is in programmatic hackery, which is definitely useful on this as we have seen.  That said, in some cases I can help with semi-automated translations, particularly in situations where my knowledge of the DQ series (which is excellent I'd say) is enough to know how pieces of dialogue _should_ be translated.  (Think like when you are talking with a priest before or after saving your game, for instance.)  Moreover though, I can also review things for consistency, and making sure that any translations--some of which necessarily include programmatic tagging (you'll eventually see what I mean)-- meet all necessary technical requirements to work in the game.

For me, this also happens to be a very bad month of the year, but more that because of my day job, I'm coming down to about two weeks before a major event we put on every year, which takes up much of my time.  That's why you don't see a whole lot from me as of late.  Doesn't mean I'm not working on this in my spare time (especially when I'm running work stuff late at night, waiting for tests to run, or anything like that), just that I can't give it as much attention as I might otherwise like.

One thing that becomes immediately obvious once you see the list of "strings needing translation" is that even for what may feel like short segments of gameplay, there can be an immense deluge of text to wade through.  Then, consider that there are at least three steps to translation: the physical translation of a string, maintaining technical requirements of how it's constructed, and also maintaining consistency in things like naming so that the text actually makes sense in a meaningful way.  To complicate it more, situations can arise where for whatever reason, the text stings in a certain file, after translation, simply don't compress down as well as the original Japanese, resulting in a file that doesn't fit back into the archive.  Though I think with "real" translations it will be relatively infrequent, I am sure there will be at least a few such times where I then need to make hard decisions (working with Aeana of course) on how to be less verbose without losing too much of the original meaning.

Sorry this was kind of long, just wanted to brain dump a bit to let people have a sense of where things are from my perspective, similar to what Aeana did in such nice flowing prose.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I don't know the japanese language, but I've read quite a bit on ROM fan translations (Specifically SFC/SNES). Even though this is all on PC, because of archive limits and possible protection schemes, there's definitely a reason to be working within similar limits/techniques. (If the game were offline only, there would probably be little more leeway with what could be done, but I don't know how the server interacts with the client. And anyways - it'd be a TON more work to recode a menu/text system to fit new limits than to work with what you've got.)

In this game (as well as DQ9), it seems to be used in instances like "ツメの申し子." Looking into it, that particular title was translated as "Nail Technician" in DQ9. While I'm not particularly happy with that specific rendering, I think something along those lines is the way to go. Clearly the meaning here is someone who's looking really promising with their proficiency. Stuff like that usually takes me a while to figure out a good translation for.

Well, the accolades is a whole other kettle of fish. While we could use the DQ9 translation, I am not sure this is one of the places where sticking to the official translation is the best idea. I don't really see the benefit in following DQ9 in calling Darhma temple "Alltrades Abby" either. But it is certainly not something that I think is worth getting hanged up on.

I was actually referring to the offline story though, where the hero is カメさまの申し子. In this case, I suspect that Kame-sama is also a joke off of Kami-sama, and a good writer might be able to come up with a clever translation for that as well. Left to my own devices I would probably just go for the simple "Lord Turtle". Back to the 申し子 for the hero though, I struggled with the appropriate translation. Storywise, I do think "heaven sent" is the more appropriate meaning in this case, but it never sounded "right" to me. I don't think something like "The gift from Lord Turtle" really does an appropriate job of translating the phrase.

Edit:

Example picture

Edited by Mimas

In all honesty I often curse SE.  I wanted DQX for years and make it the last mmo I play before I honestly stop with mmos unless something really special comes out.  I been debating with myself on going back to FFXIV, but I dont know if I got the patience to deal with people and how humans naturally betray each other out of base instinct.  Tired of the drama, tired of putting more effort than anyone only to have it all wasted due to one guy throwing a stressed out selfish tantrum.  It angers me to no end that we may never see a DQX localization, as they keep putting it on more and more friggen platforms and my god am I gotta be even more upset if they decide to put it on PS3 and the PS4 or even the friggen Vita *bet they could* and STILL not want to localize it for everyone else.  

The work you guys are trying to do makes me feel a bit better, but honestly I really am hating SE right now, company just frustrates me so much.  

FF14 just isnt really meant for cooperative teamwork. Its a place of competition in the wrong areas of the game. Like loot and the like. DQX has the same formula of a carrot on a stick with gear. But it maddening to get or fight over like you will get in theme park MMO's like WoW and in this case FF14.

FF14 is a beauitiful game, I just wish they used those resources to revamp FF11.