Sign in to follow this  
Aeana

A thread for my tinkering with DQ10

I just wanted to say good job. :thumbsup:  I can't help as I can't even get the demo to run at a reasonable rate with my standard graphics card.

SE doesn't really make this easy does it? I mean the least they could do is offer us a translation tool on the sly and ship the translated text as an option in the Japanese version. Like that'd ever happen. :ws-slimedead:

Edited by Faolan

I suggest though if you wanna find some help? Post on some other DQ fansites on facebook or twitter.  Maybe youll find some people with the skills ya need. 

I am silly and didn't realize Aeana meant "Battle Command Setup" as the option where you change which order commands are listed. I don't know how I'd abbreviate that. Maybe Command List?

I *think* I've finished dumping all of the text that is relevant to a menu translation (and a bit more). The sector that includes all of the item names ended up being 1.6mb, which is quite a lot. But it seems to include all-hiragana versions of every name, which is probably used to aid the IME in properly converting input properly. i.e. ãˆã„ã“ã†ã®ã¨ã‚ãµãƒãƒ¼ ⇒ æ „å…‰ã®ãƒˆãƒ­ãƒ•ã‚£ãƒ¼. This text will certainly not need to be translated, but it'll have to be weeded through by potential translators.

I'm considering making an editor program that will aid translators in translating so they don't have to worry so much about lengths (it would auto-enforce and auto-recalculate as necessary), but first I need to make sure that everything dumped correctly and that I have all of the information included that I'll need to re-insert correctly.

I want DQX so bad now.

I really wish I had some way to help, all I can do is I guess test any alpha product patches ya would have me test out and go and talk or do whatever ya need specifically.  Long as its in the starter towns and such at least.  If in the near future ya manage to start translation Story/Quests/NPC dialogue Ill probably start playing the game seriously. 

Man, I wish I had programming skills. I'd love to offer some help, but my abilities are nil. :(

For those that actually wish to helpbest to spread the word and get people to play DQX letting SE know that there is a profit to be made in the foreign market is a plus I imagine. Along with going to translation circles to see any interest to those that m ay wish to help in translating. Assuming you want publicity of this current venture.

At the moment, I'm hesitant to enlist translation help because currently, the effect of game updates on the data formatting is a wildcard. Even though I have a fairly decent understanding of the format, I feel like there's no guarantee that an update can't really wreck the way things line up if it adds new strings. I just don't want to waste anyone's time besides my own until I'm sure I can resynchronize the translations after an update in an automated way.

At any rate, today I finished a utility that will read in the dumped XML files and automatically correct the length and offset data. What this means is that it should now be safe to edit strings to lengths longer than they took up in Japanese, provided the total length of the sector is not exceeded. So now I've got shield as shield instead of shd or any such 3 character abomination.

The last piece of the puzzle for me is writing a new general purpose inserter that can read in any/all of the edited script files and patch the relevant data automatically. Once that's done, I'll begin translation in earnest and aim for an initial release.

Awesome, great work, wish there was more I could do to help :)

It's cool. I'm sure there's stuff people could do to help me if I'd let them. I know Mimas offered to help translate, and I hope I can take her up on that eventually. I'm just wary at the moment because I'm not confident enough that the work won't be wasted once there's an update. Of course, if people want to help despite that, I won't stop them. It'll be easy to contribute once I make a release. Even people who don't understand Japanese are welcome to take the English and try to spruce it up a bit. Anybody with a text editor can view end edit the script files. I may make them editable via the web somehow as well, not sure yet.

Edited by Aeana
  • Upvote 1

Unrelated, but it seems DQX's producer actually wants to put the game on the PS4.  

Hmm....heh, if that ever happens and it actually came here with the other system releases, Id probably take that version over the Wii-U.  PS4 gets better headsets and though the difference should be absolutely minimal, better load times too. Specially if I swap the PS4 HDD to a SSHD.  

Sighs, then again, I do like how the game runs in 90+ FPS on PC with no drops.  Wii-U version has the option to play it on the Wii-U Controller too, if ya wanna play it in bed....  Decisions....

Edited by Alexandrious

It's cool. I'm sure there's stuff people could do to help me if I'd let them.

I'm just a creative type. Can't program and I'm not quite fluent.

All I can do for you is dance.

tumblr_maf6b7GdDZ1qmp5efo1_500.gif

Thanks for your dance. Tall blue hair and that nice bikini - your animated self is as creative as you are!

I finished the patcher, it seems to work well, except for one particular oddity. It turns out that the pointers to some menu elements are generated only when you log in and then they remain in memory and are not updated on-the-fly like almost everything else is. The result?

dq10-blanktabs.png

Now, this will fix itself if you log out to the main menu and then log back in. The pointers update, and the text becomes happy again.

dq10-happytabs.png

But I don't want to require users to log out. In fact, doing so may cause the game to replace some of the previously-patched text. If it's just these six pointers that need fixing, I can find some way to automate it, I'm sure. I just hope that I don't run into many more of these, or it could get messy. :\

Edit: Implemented an auto-fixer for this one. Fingers crossed I don't find any more. :o

Edit2: Or so I thought, then I found more. This needs a different kind of fix, will have to think about it more. Everything else seems fine though.

Edited by Aeana
  • Upvote 1

Aeana thank you for your conituous support to translating some essential parts of the game!! Your pathcing will make DQX more and more friendly to new players who do not have experience in DQ series but wanna join the game.

Just take a break and enjoy the world of DQX. Your pets may miss you to take them to the battles :)

• Upvote 1

I finished the patcher, it seems to work well, except for one particular oddity. It turns out that the pointers to some menu elements are generated only when you log in and then they remain in memory and are not updated on-the-fly like almost everything else is. The result?

dq10-blanktabs.png

Now, this will fix itself if you log out to the main menu and then log back in. The pointers update, and the text becomes happy again.

dq10-happytabs.png

But I don't want to require users to log out. In fact, doing so may cause the game to replace some of the previously-patched text. If it's just these six pointers that need fixing, I can find some way to automate it, I'm sure. I just hope that I don't run into many more of these, or it could get messy. :\

Edit: Implemented an auto-fixer for this one. Fingers crossed I don't find any more. :o

Edit2: Or so I thought, then I found more. This needs a different kind of fix, will have to think about it more. Everything else seems fine though.

This is similar to how the PSO2 translation team does things with Item translations.  Initially when you select an item in PSO2 that isnt translated on the fly, you simply select an item, go bk to the item thats untranslated, and it should come up fully translated.  

I tried everything I could think of to get the pointers to refresh via ingame actions, but I couldn't find anything, sadly. Not even changing servers does the trick. This is only an issue if the offsets are recalculated via my utility, though. If I leave them alone as I was before, it's not an issue. Will have to think about that some. I could possibly freeze the location of these problem items and work around them. That's probably the best idea for now. So far, it only seems like the stuff related to the chat window is affected by this, and only the tabs and button hints. So it's not much.

• Upvote 1

Once you create the translator tools for DQX, I can go around alot of websites and post about it to garner interested translators to collaborate if ya like. 

As a little side project, I decided to try to tackle figuring out the on-disk file format. I made a lot of progress and am now able to actually extract the files (sorta). There's still some stuff I don't understand, which is causing me to be unable to extract all of the files, and would prevent me from being able to re-insert them until I figure it out. The beacon of hope is interesting: it turns out that this game's file format is nearly the same (if not identical aside from a header change) as the one used for FF14. FF14 is a much popular game with data miners, so it's possible that someone out there has figured out the format much better than I have. If I could come across such a person, I wonder if I'd be able to move my translation from memory to disk.

It's something to think about, either way. I won't be ceasing my memory translations, though, and I'm aiming to release shortly.

• Upvote 2

Now that I'm back to doing translations, I thought I was in a bit of trouble with regards to job names. It seems that for the jobs with short enough names, it skips storing them multiple times and uses the same name for the long and short version (long name is used in menus, short name is used in the party display and equipment menus, etc.). Because of that, I thought I'd be stuck with super ugly "war" and "pst" for warrior and priest because those long names don't fit in the short spaces. But I did manage to find a way to separate them, so the long names are displayed where appropriate.

But now I actually would like some opinions. I need short versions of all of the job names. These need to be 3-4 characters max. Throw out your ideas!

Warrior, priest, mage, martial artist, thief, minstrel, battlemaster, paladin, magic knight, ranger, sage, beastmaster, toolmaster.

For that matter, I should ask if people would prefer the DQ9 names for the jobs. Gladiator instead of battlemaster? Armamentalist instead of magic knight? Luminary instead of sage?

• Upvote 1

As a little side project, I decided to try to tackle figuring out the on-disk file format. I made a lot of progress and am now able to actually extract the files (sorta). There's still some stuff I don't understand, which is causing me to be unable to extract all of the files, and would prevent me from being able to re-insert them until I figure it out. The beacon of hope is interesting: it turns out that this game's file format is nearly the same (if not identical aside from a header change) as the one used for FF14. FF14 is a much popular game with data miners, so it's possible that someone out there has figured out the format much better than I have. If I could come across such a person, I wonder if I'd be able to move my translation from memory to disk.

It's something to think about, either way. I won't be ceasing my memory translations, though, and I'm aiming to release shortly.

I suggest going on this forum here http://www.bluegartr.com/ to find the answers you seek to that particular thing your after.  These guys do most of the data mining on FFXIV. 

Wait, wasnt Luminary the class that was.....I dunno was supposedly to be Super Star compared to DQIX's version.  But yea.... I mean Sage has always been Sage really far as I remember.  

Edited by Alexandrious

Yeah, sorry. I only played DQ9 in English one time. You're right, luminary was superstar. Well, the question still stands, with that replacement.

Since it's been so long, here's another screenshot.

dq10-classselect.png

• Upvote 1

Now that I'm back to doing translations, I thought I was in a bit of trouble with regards to job names. It seems that for the jobs with short enough names, it skips storing them multiple times and uses the same name for the long and short version (long name is used in menus, short name is used in the party display and equipment menus, etc.). Because of that, I thought I'd be stuck with super ugly "war" and "pst" for warrior and priest because those long names don't fit in the short spaces. But I did manage to find a way to separate them, so the long names are displayed where appropriate.

But now I actually would like some opinions. I need short versions of all of the job names. These need to be 3-4 characters max. Throw out your ideas!

Warrior, priest, mage, martial artist, thief, minstrel, battlemaster, paladin, magic knight, ranger, sage, beastmaster, toolmaster.

For that matter, I should ask if people would prefer the DQ9 names for the jobs. Gladiator instead of battlemaster? Armamentalist instead of magic knight? Luminary instead of sage?

Warr, Prst, Mage, Monk, Thf., Bard, Mstr, Paly, Mknt, Rngr, Sage, Tamr, Tim (toolmaster named for Tim Taylor and Tool Time).

Wow, this is tough.