Sign in to follow this  
Ljink

Please talk to Yuji Horii

I don't know if this is old or not but if you have a Square Enix account you can message Yuji Horii. I don't know if he replies but it's the message that counts. I just posted something today. He needs to know that Dragon Quest is still a thing over here. With 600,00 copies of Dragon Quest IX sold here, on limited marketing, that's a huge feat. I particularly can do without Dragon Quest X but DQ VII, and the monsters games... I want.

go here http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/message-dragon-quest-creator-yuji-horii#comment-118243 to do so.

Many of us already have, mine is near the bottom, along with Lord Roto's, redneckpride's, and a bunch of other den members.  That said, even with an older topic over this, I see no harm in repeating it and starting a new topic.  There's also this blog post, that actually has gotten responses, which is an opening for SE EU's new community manager Dan Seto:

http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/nice-meet-you-kupo

Muddy made a topic about that one.  Redneck a topic over the Horii blog, but this is also the general chit-chat forum, so I think given some people tend to prefer this one and not the General, it's likely a few den members who haven't seen the other two threads may see this, and those who have been absent with those other two threads may see this.

With all this in mind, two bumps on the general would be most beneficial for potential new eyes.  I was hoping we could get 300+ people to respond, and maybe it's still possible.

I would fly out to Japan and personally ask Yuji Horii to get a Dragon Quest game over here if it would get these conversations to end. I like a dialogue but everyday there's topic after topic of people reiterating the same thing over and over again.

I would fly out to Japan and personally ask Yuji Horii to get a Dragon Quest game over here if it would get these conversations to end. I like a dialogue but everyday there's topic after topic of people reiterating the same thing over and over again.

I have to wonder why DQ fans don't really...unite, or why, for every 1 person who thinks DQ can sell, there are 10 who think it's only niche, nothing can be done, you've had your fun, now stop bothering me with your nonstop threads on a DQ to the West campaign.

Have you ever wondered why it is that unlike Tales, unlike Earthbound, unlike Etrian Odyssey, unlike...oh, I don't know, EVERY OTHER "niche" series that sells less than DQ and gets marketed a heck of a lot more, virtually the entire fanbase unites around getting their series popularized in the US?

I mean we are the most negative, anti-social, uncaring, quitters I've ever bloody seen.  We're the ONLY camp that has more people always in negative mode...and doesn't want to really do anything, and basically sets themselves up for a bloody self-defeat because most of us never stand up and attempt to rally the base.

It's like we have three camps.

Camp 1, the smallest camp by FAR, is active, and wants to see DQ become popular, because we read into the numbers, and we know that the facts are pretty clear, DQ can sell at FF levels.  Campaign compared to campaign size compared to campaign length, compared to actual sales says DQ can absolutely, definitely, unquestionably, sell at FF levels.  So we deign to push the series.

Camp 2, the "adults".  This group doesn't really have much time for anything.  They don't get excited, and frankly every series has this group, but they don't participate either.  Basically they don't care if DQ sells more or less, they just get happy if there's a new DQ.  This group will never participate in anything.

Camp 3, the largest camp.  Camp 3 is a camp that is filled with people from all walks of life, with varying opinions.  Camp 3 is typically negative in their outlook on DQ.  They may help out a little if there's a campaign, maybe putting out a single letter or a facebook post.  Maybe one twitter message.  Some won't participate at all, but those who do only do minimalist action.  What unites this group, regardless of whether they participate or not in any campaign to get attention, is they don't believe DQ can ever sell in the West.  They don't care about numbers.  Maybe they come from the perspective that SE won't ever care, and know that DQ could sell, but SE just won't bother.  Maybe they feel SE won't bother and even if they did, they wouldn't be spectacular, so SE would just cave after seeing lower than expected sales, and we'd see the largest and longest DQ dark age ever.  Maybe they feel that it's always hopeless because no one likes DQ, and never will, it's always niche, and always will be...and numbers be damned, but they don't reflect on actual fans!  Whatever the motivations, this group always sets itself and the community up for defeat.  It feels as though it tolerates Camp 1, and feels like it is compassionate, but after a time reality has to set in.  Yet this camp is always unwilling to accept the notion that the ONLY reason they feel this way is due to their own attitudes over DQ, whatever the basis or grounding may be.

There aren't many topics revolving around pushing DQ in the West Eal, and even if there were, I don't see much of a problem with it if it may help rally the base.  I'm kind of excited for this campaign because this is the largest DQ fan participation I've yet seen.  So Camp 1 is slowly growing, though more out of a need, not out of a belief.

What sets us apart from all other fan groups for all other "niche" series, is that they believe, almost the entire group, that their series CAN sell in the numbers required to keep it going.  Very few are unaware of the business elements of selling a game, even if not many posters or arguments mention them.  The problem is we suffer from this sense of darkness.  Likely because of long-term treatment, and the stomping on DQ hopes after what we thought was a rebirth (I never believed it though, not after learning that EoA's staff was fired, not after having some knowledge of their level of participation and plans for pushing the series the right way).

Sorry eal, I'm not trying to slam you, it's just I'm pointing out a real issue we have in our community as a whole.  Even the most ardent supporters amongst media outlets do VERY little to help push.  Macstorm's always been a DQ fan, yet RPGamer is almost dark when it comes to DQ.  They've skipped out on over 1,000 DQ stories for Japan and the US since DQ9, which they didn't even fully cover, and they've done quite a number on DQ fans writing in to ask about DQ coverage or DQ questions.  Downplaying the series, dismissing fans, outright doing NOTHING to help or boost the series, and very little support or praise...often being condescending towards anyone who would dare like DQ when there's FF...or anything Atlus, because clearly Atlus is king and DQ is a lesser series in their eyes.  That's fine if you like one over the other, but I'm frankly teed off at DQ treatment from once friendly sites.  Thankfully for Siliconera.  Even amongst more mainstream fans, such as Jeremy Parish, there is nary an attempt to even budge a muscle to organize or get people in the mood for more DQ.  It's just negative negative negative about the state of DQ, but when asked to join in the campaign...silence.  I suppose my name has no recognition for his highness king Parish, the lord of jackasses, the smutsmith of verbal diarrhea (yes, I can't stand Parish, and even tweeting him, I'd prefer to knock him out cold, his article did more harm than good...offering no alternatives, just being another dose of downer, as the man always is).

Honestly, I do get it.  It's hard to be a DQ fan, it's very easy to slump into the notion that there will never be a day when DQ will sell at a level and SE believes in it to a point where they'll keep marketing it properly.  Or hire a team that understands the demographics and the marketing strategy necessary to bring about maximum sales potential.   Afterall, most of the media who are outward DQ fans are so negative on the outlook of DQ, they bring us all down, and make it look like there WILL never be a light at the end of the tunnel.  As in...virtually everyone with any real say or power or influence is always in Camp 3, and couldn't care less about possibilities.  It actually sickens me.  The only shining light I had in all that was knowing Macstorm still cares for the series, despite how he's let his writers and editors handle coverage and treatment of fans...or picking non-fans who clearly couldn't care less about DQ rate the games.  It's one thing if they're open minded about it, it's another if they've already formed their own opinions and don't feel like getting into the mindset to play...

So the real question is...how do we dig our way out of this tunnel that we've helped dig.  It's not just SE.  Partly we're to blame because we allow ourselves to be so damn pessimistic.  SE bares the brunt for sure, since they dropped the ball on their own series, and hired incompetent "yes-men" to push the series and it failed.

Sorry for the rant eal.  It's been bothering me for awhile, and both your post here and smacd's post was the final straw on top of the pile of dung sitting over my head.  Had to remove it and set it down somewhere appropriate.

• Upvote 1

I had actually been meaning to comment on that some time, so THANK YOU for bringing it back up, yo :P

No problem. Say your peace. I'm just getting bored with all the non-stop talk about asking Yuji Horii to get Dragon Quest over here. I'm sure he has almost no say in the matter to begin with.

I'd like for there to be just one or two topics on this matter instead of a million a day. If anything, that's probably what you'd want too since it's easier to unite a group of people by talking about things in one specific topic then starting a new one and reigniting the same conversation every time Square Enix or Yuji Horii scratch their crotch and say the words "Dragon Quest."

No problem. Say your peace. I'm just getting bored with all the non-stop talk about asking Yuji Horii to get Dragon Quest over here. I'm sure he has almost no say in the matter to begin with.

I'd like for there to be just one or two topics on this matter instead of a million a day. If anything, that's probably what you'd want too since it's easier to unite a group of people by talking about things in one specific topic then starting a new one and reigniting the same conversation every time Square Enix or Yuji Horii scratch their crotch and say the words "Dragon Quest."

He would if he made a comment on it and showed desire.  That said, he's a busy man and even if he had time, it wouldn't be much effort put into it.  I don't think he'll ever know what went into those comments unless he personally requested translation of feedback to see how NA/EU gamers are feeling.  That said, while I addressed my response to Horii, it's more for SE's benefit to know that Fans do care and desire the game.  Plus it saw more responses than any blog post in quite some time, even news on potential releases for larger more profitable series.  So I guess  the hope is that has an impact and would be sent to higher ups at least in SE NA/EU (same division really, they share the same management team members, same CEO, and community managers).

I get the point about a million, but it's not that bad.  Most are based on new info, new release material, and keeping it all in one topic, rather than making new ones, especially pertinent info or things to jump on and participate in, should have new topics, or they'll get burried in the mess of another topic and no one will ever read the post except for those people there, at the time it was made, and the select few who actually read through every topic post before commenting themselves.

There have been very few repeat topics, and of those, only one repeat, and of all the topics that have seen repetition, this is the third since the whole Operation Hero campaign started.

Edited by ignasia7

It's just too damn bad his bosses won't listen to him on it.

I do not think DQX would do well here. But we deserve DQ7 and the Monsters titles, even as mobile ports.

I'm kind of hoping we'll get some sort of dual-release when DQ6 goes mobile. DQ6 and Terry, avaiable now on mobile! 

Well, Terry would have to go to Mobile first in Japan.  As far as I'm aware that's not planned.  I think it would be a good idea though.  Along with a PSN release and VC release for the Wii U/N3DS of all existing DS titles going to mobile.  I think that would be a good route to go as well.  At least I would hope they do such a thing.  Heck if I could I'd buy all versions, just to have options.  Then just hope they allow saves to transfer (too much to ask) between systems with a memory card (way too much to ask and hope for) or cloud storage (...possible, but quite improbable).

Edited by ignasia7