Sign in to follow this  
Erdrick The Hero

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Last week I bought Dragon Warrior III GBC. Having finished DQ1 iOS, I just picked it up again after a few days. IT'S BROKEN NOW. The graphics are all messed up, to an unplayable state! I tried changing my GBA's batteries, cleaning the cart and the cart slot with a q-tip, and eventually (reluctantly) blowing on the cartridge and cartridge slot. Nothing fixes it! I'm going to have to return it when I'm out and about tomorrow.

I'll stop by the other game shop in town and see if they have a copy... If not, then I'm stuck with the NES version which is painstakingly slow. I've not beaten a single RPG on the NES because in EVERY GAME the characters move so slow that by the time I get where I'm going I've lost interest.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Sorry to hear about that man. Hopefully you'll find another copy, either in a store a cheap copy online somewhere.

I'm waiting for all the pro-emulation people to come out.

I AM pro-emulation. Just not pro-piracy. And thanks to the US' abso-freakin-lutely derptarded copyright laws, even downloading a copy of the game THAT I OWN is piracy.

In all fairness, there's really no way to track whether or not someone owns a game or not. And emulation involves putting a game from one system to another, which is essentially another way of saying porting it. Which means you are getting one way of playing a game for free. Buying a game in one form doesn't mean you get it for free in every other form.

...Unless you copy it yourself.

Whaaaaat?

Did you clean with a q-tip and alcohol, then let it air dry?  Also...NEVER BLOW ON CONTACTS.  EVER.  Your spittle will 100% degrade them (the acid eats through the metal sadly...strange how we're like alien's in that sense from Ridley Scott's vision).

No, I have no alcohol. I have no alcohol today.

Not for a few years at least.

Edited by eal

Damn. Sucks dude.

No, I have no alcohol. I have no alcohol today.

I can't tell if you're being a smartass or series, so I'll assume serious.

You need alcohol.  Q-tip with water or any liquid other than isopropyl 87% or higher is 100% ineffective.  It's best if you're at 90+%...the purer the alcohol the better.  Basically you cleaned nothing at all, and by spitting, just did damage to contacts.  So get a small bottle at a drug store and apply that with a q-tip.  Don't worry about being a little rough on the contacts of the cartridge (DO NOT be rough if you decide to clean the inside of the GBC).

Let it sit and air dry for about 3-5 minutes for the cartridge, 10-15 for the GBC should you decide to clean those contacts.

I'm with Ignasia here. Clean it first (I use 91% isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip), and also, if you can, see if you can clean the contacts on your GBA itself if they look nasty. Mostly, though, clean the game.

Since your game saves and loads, your battery is likely fine (and likely wouldn't cause the issue anyhow--it would only drop saves as far as I know).

Dirty contacts have caused such glitchiness for me in the past, and cleaning is always a first option before assuming the game itself is borked.

I'll also second the "don't blow on your carts" thing. I mean, sure, we all used to do it as kids, but the better solution is a quick clean of the cart. That won't encourage corrosion on the contacts the way saliva and water vapor will.

But a lot of good can be done with a simple (and proper) scrubdown. I recently got hold of an NES copy of DW2 that was completely trashed by the previous owner. Corroded and leaking battery, with all the associated grossness of that, plus dirt, funk from what smelled like years of smoking, some old spilled soda, and actual cobwebs in the business end of the cart.

Shockingly,it now works like a champ. It's amazing what a good, thorough cleaning (and, when necessary, a nice new battery) will do for something.

Mostly, though, dude, hope you can get your game working again soon.

Iggy, I was being serious about not having alcohol. Just ever since ButThouMust (I don't know what to shorten that too...) said something about "No, I have no tomatoes. I have no tomatoes today.", I've been trying to parody it as much as possible  :laugh:

Can under 21 buy isopropyl alcohol? Obviously it's not meant for drinking. My parents would just say "just throw it away and get a new one" instead of going to the store and buying some. Honestly though, I'm not that far into the game (although I did spend a good few hours grinding for gold that I don't want to have to do again - maybe I should abuse Ruida's Tavern more? I think that would be even more tedious though), so it might be worth it to return it, get my money back, and buy another copy somewhere else.

EDIT: FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Attempting to start a new journal wiped both the old save files.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Yeah, under 21 can buy it (or at least they could when I was under 21). It's in the first aid section of the store, and is most surely not for drinking.

Also, I shot you a private message to pass along some thoughts from my husband, who works in the electronics industry and refurbs systems and carts on the side. He says he's willing to take a look at it for you at no cost if you can't solve the problem locally.

Heh, I should've known better.

Anyway, you should be able to, but then back when I was 18 there weren't yet laws banning cough medicine sales, let alone Isopropyl.  So I don't know, but it's necessary for medicinal purposes, so I would be hard pressed to believe local/county/state governments have lost that many braincells as to ban isopropyl sales from under 18.

Edited by ignasia7

So...Two out of three games purchased from that store with two months now have had to be returned (The other was Daxter for the PSP... It loaded incredibly slowly, and I also found a boxed copy for cheaper somewhere else, so I traded it back in under the defects policy. I mean, it shouldn't take 2 minutes to load a title screen, and the disk was really scratched, so it was defective anyways). I should stop buying from them. (And hopefully my copy of Super Mario World doesn't break down now.)

That sucks, dude. I have run into problems like that with a local store in the past, and I definitely sympathize.

I sympathize man, that's pretty horrible, especially when general policy is to "test" and "check" for scratches and not buy defective products or resell.  Where are you getting this from, and can you talk to the manager or owner?  If it's Gamestop, they should compt you fully and give you extra credit for your time and their screwup. 

At least they didn't switch out the discs on you.  I've had that done thrice on me.  Once when buying Parasite Eve 2, another time when buying a copy of Maximo 2.  I now have 2 copies of both Maximo 1 and Parasite Eve 1.  The only other time was for Vandal Hearts 2.  The case says 2, the cd is for 1.  No original copy of Vandal Hearts 1 though, so no double, which I guess is a good thing.

Damn must of been absolutely shocking to have had that happen.  

You've technically bought a copy Erdrick. So couldn't you emulate the game with a clear conscience?

so that's why I haven't been able to pick your brain on steam I am sorry for your loss

Tesla is right, just emulate. Or wait for mobile.

You've technically bought a copy Erdrick. So couldn't you emulate the game with a clear conscience?

Unfortunately, it's not about my conscience. It's about following the law because I'd like to start my own game development company. I'm already pushing it with DQVII-2, but from what I understand, it's common for devs to start with fangames, and I think the worst that would happen is a C&D.

Eh, if the man doesn't want to emulate, he doesn't want to emulate.

I use emulators for a few specific purposes, myself, mostly to make screencapping easy for blogging and reviewing purposes, or for recording a section of a playthrough for easy reference. Also, if I'm looking at romhacks, fan translations, or related stuff, emulation is mandatory. However, I do my best to own a legit copy of whatever I'm talking about in public, and I encourage my readers (maybe all 6 of them or whatever) to go buy their own legit copies whenever possible. Sometimes that's difficult, but most often, it's not.

But some folks don't want to emulate at all, and some folks think worrying about the legality of emulating is stupid. As with most things like this, it's a personal thing. If Erdrick wants to step lightly, that's his call.

The GBC game's available on eBay for not a horrid amount of money ($10-20 when I browsed about last night), and cheaper still if you're willing or able to play it in Japanese (as is typical). In any case, it tends to be cheaper than NES DW3 for the time being, so hopefully there'll be a good resolution here for you, Erdrick.

Well, I think that if you maintain that copy of DW3 then you can emulate it on any device that you want. You did buy the cart, you can do what you want with it besides... yeah. We all know about THAT.