Sign in to follow this  
King Zenith

The Dragon Quest for the West Contest - Arus Ad Campaign

DQForTheWest_Logo2.png

Welcome to the first of what may well be a whole horde of contests in the "Dragon Quest for the West" series of contests.  The purpose of these contests is to create a social media firestorm with the intention of increasing awareness of the Dragon Quest series and getting the attention of the series' creators and other parties who have the power (but not yet the incentive) to bring these games to the west.

Your mission in this contest is to create an advertisement OR hashtag for Dragon Quest VII, focused on the Hero, Arus.

hero_arus.png

Each entrant has to come up with at least one piece of art done in the concept of an advertisement for DQ7 using Arus.  Maybe you make him look badass, maybe sexy, maybe you take characters from other games and have Arus totally wow them with his antics with a sword.  The sky is the limit, anything you can think of. 

Are you a lousy artist who thinks this contest is not for you?  Well don't run away just yet!  There are plenty of options for you to not only participate in this contest, but also to win!  Instead of a drawing or a beautifully Photoshopped design, you could try doing some cosplay and taking photos.  Or you could even make a video advertisement of sorts.  You could even just partner up with someone and help them out in some way.  Both of you will earn badges!  And if all of that is still not enough to get you interested, you could simply submit an idea for a clever hashtag that could be used to help with the twitter blast that will accompany the winning advertisement. 

Enough of the preamble, here are the juicy details:

1) Submit your advertisement to me via private message or directly in this topic if you prefer

2) Submit as many advertisements as you have the time to create, and feel free to work with others

3) Submit a maximum of two hashtags that are clever, catchy and relevant to Dragon Quest 7 and Arus

4) You have until Monday, October 6th 2014 to make your submissions

5) Submissions will be voted on by the community and two winners will be chosen: 1 Advertisement winner and 1 Hashtag winner

6) All submissions will be tweeted out during the contest period under the hashtag #DQForMeToo

7) The winning advertisement will get an especially focused twitter blast using the winning hashtag, and will also be shared on other sites

I realize it sounds like a lot of information, so if there are any details that aren't clear, just ask your questions here and we will get you sorted out.  Here are some fast FAQs to get you started:

Q: Do I need to submit a hashtag with my art?

A: No, no hashtag needed if you don't want to

Q: If I only submit a hashtag, can I still win a badge?

A: Yes! There will be two badges for this contest: 1 for the best hashtag and 1 for the best advertisement

Q: Do I need to be a member of the Dragon's Den to participate?

A: Yes, but joining is easy and free.  You could get around this by partnering with a Dragon's Den member

Q: Is this the longest contest introduction post ever?

A: Yes, yes it is.

Edited by King Zenith
  • Upvote 2

#TimeForEden

#Come west young Arus

Awesome, thanks guys! Nice to see some early submissions for the hashtags.

#gotDQ (used with a question mark, even if that is not part of the hashtag).

In fact, I think I will go that route for my ads, anyway. Lots of attitude in the "got milk" ads.

Counterpoint to using this (even if I suggested it) is that it would be based on an existing campaign created by a company NOT Square Enix, and that may not be all well with them).

Well, I'm going to join in this one.

#ArusDoes

I'm going to do my best to get out some art related to it.

There's also the damn...me, but when we get down to Gabo, I already came up with #GotGabo, along the same lines of thought, awhile back.  You can take it though Cesar, what do they say?  Great minds think alike?  Just beat me to it is all!  I'll just go with #*name*Does for the rest, and that will be the core of my concept.  Dun worry, I'll force some time with a scanner and a friend's computer.

Darn multitasking....I had it wrong, it's Does, not Can.  Changed.  Concept is going to be based around the notion that each of the heroes is a true force to be reckoned with.  Arus...aka HoboLink vs Link in this case!

Think of it like a play on the old Sega DOES what Nintendon't.

Edited by ignasia7

It's okay, I am not even too much into text thinking, so you can have the tag.

I like the concept for the ads because it is a great shortcut to getting a concept all on my own, especially now that I am short on time.

With the got milk "template" I already got ideas for poses and all that.

And the idea I have would always use "got DQ?", describing the benefits each charadter gets from DQ. More like "Gabo is this and that thanks to DQ", instead of changing the phrase to "got Gabo", "got Aira".

LOL, no no, please, keep using the GotArus, and Got*name goes here*.

I think it's better this way.  You keep with the #Got*name* concept, keeps everything in sync with your art and with each new piece.  I'll keep with the *name*Does, and go from that angle.  If anything the one I'm using fits a bit better, since my concept is to throw a DQ 7 character against another character from another game of a similar type, gameplay element, or some measure of attachment that allows for some symmetry.  I was more or less nudging you, giving you some friendly flack, for being a genius and aiming for that tag, because it is simple, easy to use, easy to remember, easy to repeat, and it's very catchy, especially when we get to Gabo.

So please, you keep with the #GotDQ, #GotArus, #GotMaribel, #GotKiefer, #GotGabo...etc, especially as you've said, your artistic concept is already in line with it.  While I keep with what I chose, since I planned to use it for Arus anyway, but it makes more sense to continue is as my theme....#ArusDoes, #MaribelDoes, #KieferDoes, #GaboDoes...etc.

Or I guess your plan is to just use #GotDQ the whole way through?  Well, if so, I might do a dual-theme then....we'll see.  I'm gonna incorporate your #GotDQ in what I create.  I think that might be a good running theme period.

I'm also going to add the current OpHero tag #DQWestVII as well.  I'll probably put all of that in the bottom right corner.

Edited by ignasia7

Yeah, I meant I would use "gotDQ". The got milk concept does not change the line, no matter who is featured.

Ill be looking at how these go quietly. Love to see how it works out.  While doing that I need to cleanse or at least hold at bay the flood of demons known as Ignorance on the game faq forums, they seem to be targeting Dragon Quest X utilizing facts that came from their grotesque demon rectums.  Sighs, a Crusaders work is never done. 

• Upvote 1

I think I have figured out the concept I am going to go with for my submission.  I'll get a start on it later today.  Hopefully other people are feeling inspired as well.

Here is our first submission, having a little fun at the expense of the DQ4DS ads...

Arus_1.png

I'll be tweeting it out shortly under #DQForMeToo

Hah, reminds Me of that crappy DQMJ commercial where the demon's like "You can cast a spell!" even though the tamers in DQM don't cast spells.

EDIT: I don't mean the entry is crappy! I meant the DQM commercial was crappy and the two happen to share one sentence, that's all.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I have fixed (cross fingers) the CSS for the gallery (I didn't realize how bad it was), and have started a new album that I will be uploading the entries into, you can use the social media links at the bottom of the images to share them, or save the entry and post it if you like.

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&album=75

• Upvote 1

Ill be looking at how these go quietly. Love to see how it works out.  While doing that I need to cleanse or at least hold at bay the flood of demons known as Ignorance on the game faq forums, they seem to be targeting Dragon Quest X utilizing facts that came from their grotesque demon rectums.  Sighs, a Crusaders work is never done. 

I like the idea, but I don't think you're going to change opinions with how you're handling it.  Maybe a softer hand.  The way you're coming off (I can't comment for another 10 hours...yeah), it's actually counter productive since it comes off as condescending and insulting.  I realize in part that's not what you're trying to do, but I do think you should be more like...I guess sagely and frank.  Don't let the dark side overcome your words Alexandrious.  I think the best example I've ever seen at dealing with ignorance on DQX has been Cranberry's, but she never speaks out unless it's on the various DQX boards.

I know you can be quite sagely, so just consider that element.  You want these people to play or at least consider looking at DQX in a new light, not see you as an enemy and focus their attention on how you're addressing their beliefs, right?

Hashtag idea

#DQ4U

• Upvote 1

Arrr, it's been so bloody long.  For the #GotArus one I'll have to do a similar concept of cut 'n paste.  I'll have to convince my mum to let me have some computer time or convince her she doesn't need to be on it so often.

I'm having a really hard time drawing the details of Arus and Link.  12 years no practice, it's been a long time, but the #ArusDoes art be comin' along.

Also nice one Woodus, I like that hashtag!

Ok, this is a test to see if I can use this computer to scan, upload, and that it comes out aok.

The current status of my piece...bear in mind I haven't drawn anything related to comic-book/anime since I was 7.  I haven't drawn anything since I was 18.  So this is a very rough piece so far, but it's slowly coming together.  I also can't really take enough time to put in characters, but I do plan to do that with another piece later if I can.  We'll see...but it'll be cut-pastes.

Scan.jpeg

Edited by ignasia7

#post-75969-0-87401200-1411057164.gifArus is coming. "Dragon Quest 7: Warriors of Eden"post-75969-0-82371300-1411056743_thumb.gif

Edited by Deforestater

Cool, thanks guys!  ignasia7, I somehow missed your submission before now.  Is that a work-in-progress then, or do you want us to tweet it out as is?

Also, Deforestater, welcome to the Den! Is that quote and the corresponding graphic your submission for this contest? 

Sorry for all the clarifications guys.  I'm a bit slow...

Here is the next submission for this contest:

ArusLivesin3D.jpg

Things are heating up with this contest as another submission doth grace thy browser window:  It's the latest edition of Questing magazine!

Arus_Campaign_ABKZ1.png

• Upvote 2

Sign in to follow this