Sign in to follow this  
TheCriticalHit

DQ 1 Mobile

Just want to say...this game is fun. Yep, as a phone game hater, I bought both DQVIII and DQIV and un-installed both and gave them bad reviews. But this game is simple and easy to use for the phone. I'll still rather play on the SNES but for a pick up and play this game is great. Looking forward to DQII and III (Not going to bother with V and VI already have them on DS) for the price Dragon Quest is, it's damn well worth it and I'm going to suggest it to people over the other 2 for sure. GET THIS GAME PEOPLE IT'S GOOD!

I tried to go to the store page on two different mobile browsers, they both crashed.  the game itself wouldn't show up in the google play store, I had to find a direct link on pc to send it to my device. They couldn't have made it harder to buy this game.

Just want to say...this game is fun. Yep, as a phone game hater, I bought both DQVIII and DQIV and un-installed both and gave them bad reviews. But this game is simple and easy to use for the phone. I'll still rather play on the SNES but for a pick up and play this game is great. Looking forward to DQII and III (Not going to bother with V and VI already have them on DS) for the price Dragon Quest is, it's damn well worth it and I'm going to suggest it to people over the other 2 for sure. GET THIS GAME PEOPLE IT'S GOOD!

Why would you give them bad reviews? SE actually localized DQ games!

• Upvote 1

This game begs to be in landscape mode. The controls are difficult to get used to but I got the hang of it after awhile.

Cause I don't like laziness. I don't care if Square finally localised the game, they still need to learn to treat every game with respect. I always loved every Dragon Quest game, always put them high up there with other series like Zelda. Mother and Mario. These mobile ports have given Dragon Quest a bad name in my eyes just screams Copy.Paste.Done. If people enjoy them good for them! But to me they weren't good at all. But like I said, I enjoy DQI and gave it a good score. 

Cause I don't like laziness. I don't care if Square finally localised the game, they still need to learn to treat every game with respect. I always loved every Dragon Quest game, always put them high up there with other series like Zelda. Mother and Mario. These mobile ports have given Dragon Quest a bad name in my eyes just screams Copy.Paste.Done. If people enjoy them good for them! But to me they weren't good at all. But like I said, I enjoy DQI and gave it a good score. 

What would you expect them to do in order for you to give them a good review?  Added content, a graphic update?  What would it be?

I thought you got basic armor like clothes at the beginning of the game? Apparently I've been fighting Goldmen naked because I just bought the Magic Armour and went to sell my old armour and didn't have any.

No, this version doesn't automatically sell your old stuff back. I've tested it on bothe the English and Japanese versions of the game.

Apparently I've been fighting Goldmen naked

Is there any other way, really?

• Upvote 3

Is it just me or does the torch last forever now? I just cleared the mountain cave and I swear it never dimmed.

i'll say they did the good job with the localization with the text.

hmm... I found  a seed of strength.  Is that new for mobile or where they added in the GBC version?

Edited by sounderfan84

This and DQ4 both are excellent ports. Loving partychat, though with DQ1 this'll be the first time for me playing it.

I tried to go to the store page on two different mobile browsers, they both crashed. the game itself wouldn't show up in the google play store, I had to find a direct link on pc to send it to my device. They couldn't have made it harder to buy this game.

It was a bit down the page on both Google Play and the Apple store. Not too far down, maybe the 10th or 12th one listed when I typed in "Dragon Quest".

10th or 12th on a list of games boiled down to Dragon Quest. Let that sink in.

Here's a list of Monster name changes from this localization so far:

Slime > Slime

Red Slime > She Slime

Dracky > Dracky

Spooky > Ghost

Magician > Prestiditator

Scorpion > Scorpion

MagiDrakee > Drackolyte

Skeleton > Skeleton

Poltergeist > Fightgeist

Eyeder > Lunatick

Drackyma > Drackyma

Wyvern > Chimaera

Wolf > Bewarewolf

Wraith > Skeleton Scrapper

WoldLord > Scarewolf

Werewolf > Tearwolf

Magwyvern > Hocus Chimaera

Star Wyvern > Cosmic Chimaera

Metaly > Metal Slime

Droll > Droll Drone

DrollMagi > Droll Diabolist

EyederLord > Raving Lunatick

Stone Man > Stone Golem

Golem > Golem

GoldMan > Gold Golem

Metal Scorpion > Iron Scorpion

Rogue Scorpion > Death Scorpion

Shadow Knight > Dark Skeleton

Dead Knight > Skeleton Soldier

Specter > Spitegeist

Armored Knight > Knight Errant

Mad Knight > Knight Aberrant

Axe Knight > Knight Abhorrent

Dragon > Green Dragon

Blue Dragon > Blue Dragon

Red Dragon > Red Dragon

Druin > Legerdeman

DruinLord > Vis Mager

Torches always lasted forever, in every version of the game. The trick to that is that their brightness was one row of squares smaller than Radiant/Glow. I will say though, Glow definitely doesn't last anywhere near as long, making torches actually worthwhile even after you learn Glow.

Here's a list of Monster name changes from this localization so far:

I guess the wizard enemies in the original and the ones in V are the same after all? I remember hearing something like that back when that book of monsters got released. (although... isn't vis mager in IV? I'm getting a bit confused now. Visual retconning, gah.)

Still, nice to see the remaining original monsters getting newly localized names, even though I'm sure some folks will take issue :P I like what they did for the knights, ha.

EDIT: D'oh, and thanks for putting that together, yo.

Edited by PantheonSasuke

Tearwolf is such a stupid name.  The other changes aren't so bad.

The GBC version of DW1 the torch burned to ash.

Also nice addition were keys and herbs stacked taking less out of your inventory. But if you tried to toss a stacked herb away when getting loot the game wouldn't allow it.

The GBC version of DW1 the torch burned to ash.

Also nice addition were keys and herbs stacked taking less out of your inventory. But if you tried to toss a stacked herb away when getting loot the game wouldn't allow it.

This is indeed a very nice change, especially for the keys.

BTW here's some of the item name changes:

War Ring > Warrior's Ring

Devil Belt > Wasteband

Lady Lora's Love > Princess's Pledge

Loto's Seal >  Mark of Erdrick

Shiny Harp > The Lyre of Ire

Key > Magic Key

Pixy Flute > Faerie Flute

I am a happy, happy camper!!!

I was on the fence about DQ on mobile phones, but DQ1 works great on mine. I've been playing non stop for a couple of hours and am ready to venture forth to Rimuldar...or did they change the name? No worries, I'm enjoying the olde English tremendously. It kinda forces me to stop and actually read what the NPCs are saying. I mean, all of us pretty much know what they're supposed to say, we've played DW/DQ often enough. It just...it almost feels like a brand new game. Maybe because it's been so long since a DQ1-3 remake.

Anyway, I can't wait for DQ2 and DQ3 releases!

And I'm gonna try that BlueStacks thing too, to check out DQ4's party chat. Cool!

Sign in to follow this