Sign in to follow this  
ButThouMust

Extra Life 2014 -- Anyone else participating? Do we have a team?

Greetings, folks!

A gaming friend of mine reminded me today that Extra Life is coming up in October, and I made the decision to take the plunge and participate this year.

If you're not familiar with Extra Life, it's an annual gamers' fundraising event in which participants game for 24 hours straight on a given day (this year it's October 25th) and supporters donate money that benefits a hospital of the participant's choosing in the Children's Miracle Network.

For my exercise in exhaustion and philanthropy, I'm playing Dragon Warrior II on the NES from (hopefully) start to finish (which is the primary reason I'm posting it here).

I'm curious whether anyone else from the Den will be participating this year and, if so whether the Den has its own team for participants.

For anybody who might be interested, my Extra Life page is here, and I wrote a blog post about it with information on how to follow my playthrough here.

Apologies if this is considered spammy or if we've already got a topic going. More than anything, I just want to know who else from the Den is participating, if anyone.

• Upvote 3

Good luck with that! Congratulations and good for you for doing it!

Thanks! I probably need to start stocking up on Red Bull now. ;)

Damn. There's a high likelihood of me working that day. I'll see if I can switch shifts with someone.

If you're looking to play and raise funds yourself, you can set your play-period on any day if you can't do the 25th of October. 

If you're looking to watch me attempt to run myself into the ground on coffee, willpower, and Dragon Warrior II, if you've got a Facebook account, you can attend the public event linked in the blog post, follow along as you're able, and catch up later, provided you can't get the day off. :) I'm not set up to live-stream from my NES and TV, so it'll unfortunately be a little primitive in that regard unless I can figure out a cheap-as-free solution that works with my shambling old computer. In any case, there'll be regular updates and photos on the event page at a minimum. But if you know of any budget-friendly livecast solutions, feel free to tell me all about 'em.

In any case, hope to see you there, or to see you after the fact. If you set up a participant account, let me know, and I'll link you on my blog. (That goes for anybody else who's playing, too!)

Beleve in you who beleves in you and nothing is impossible go forth and bring down the skys

I will be! This will be my second year doing it and I am very excited to do it again this year. Hoping not to fizzle out on the 20th hour this time around!

• Upvote 3

I wish I had 2 hours out of the day to play video games, let alone a full 24 hours. The only time I get to play games for an extended period of time is in the middle of the night, and that's assuming I don't need to wake up early the next day.

Good luck nonetheless!

Can you change games during the 24 hours or does it have to be the same one?

If you can change, switching to Wii Sports or something similar might help you wake up again so you can return to the final hours of RPGing.

Shoriya, that's great! Good luck to you!

eal, normally I don't play for more than an hour or two on any given day, excepting maybe days off (when I get them), so this will be rather different. Thanks for the encouragement!

Cesar, you can change games if you want, yes.

I get paid on Friday. I'll see if I can get a capture card to stream games. (I've wanted one for a while, and I just saw the specific one I think I want on Newegg last night. It's an internal card that is slim-form-factor-PC ready, and has an HDMI port and comes with multiple adapters for different input types. It's the cheapest-as-in-price HD card I've seen, too. Hopefully it's not cheaply made, although it would probably take some effort (or a power surge) to damage anything internal anyways.

Very nice! Best of luck to you getting it all set up!

The problem is that most if not all of my paycheck is going to school. So I have to rely on my tips, or wait until school is paid off.

Sorry to hear about the school expense. I certainly don't miss that aspect of the school chapter of my life. Hopefully things will go well for you tip-wise and such. :)