Sign in to follow this  
Moon

square would "love" to give us dqx...

I'm positively sure a English dqx will not be seeing the light of day. A friend said that were getting the 3ds port, but I doubt it also. Lets just hope we can have 11.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/04/square-enix-love-bring-dragon-quest-x-west/

How does FF11 and FF14 do it?  Do they have separate data centers all over the world for each region? 

I'm Pretty sure FFXI doesn't have separate data centers (they're all in Japan, JP players claimed mobs way before I've even seen them pop in the game). Again, I'm not 100% sure, haven't played FFXI in years

FFXIV has different data centers, they have an EU data center, a NA one, and a JP one. But I think the data servers are in canada and japan, they are not scattered like dragon balls all over the world.

I think that after the epic fail of FFXIV 1.0, they are being extremely cautious, not seeing a sure profit in this game if this was released in the west. So yeah, the best we can expect for now is that they remove the IP block...

Newer article that came out on the 5th:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/09/05/dragon-quest-xi-likely-to-see-north-american-release-x-not-coming-westward/102709/

Basically DQX is not coming to the west due to "management issues between regions," whatever the hell that means. But there's good (lol) news! We MIGHT get DQXI!!! >_>

Sighs, ill answer this one since I played both.  

For FFXI the servers are kept to Japan, due to the game not requiring super low latency to play nor high bandwidth, this became totally fine for SE and saves them alot of money in employee and maintenance costs.  The servers are also shared between Japan/NA/EU.  This however lead to alot of turbulence for about half a decade, at first, Japanese players screamed for the "Barbarians" to get off their servers, in the first month of the game being released outside the island.  It eventually cooled down, only to heat back up again, terribly, when NA/EU reached endgame content and now Japan had to compete with several groups of other players for HMNs and other high timer spawns.  This lead to high bot usage, claiming and stalling the HNM to put it into general time for either side, for example, NA players would try to hold the spawn long enough, so that when killed and spawns again 20 or so hours later *depends on the HNM, each one had a 7 hour spawn window I believe* once it spawns, it will be too early in the Japanese day for any Japanese force to come out to compete for claim, and too late for any EU force to come out either.  This caused alot of drama, tensions, and such, this was particularly bad for Dynamis runners as well, since people running the Dynamis instance, gets "Claim" to the instance, and the instance cannot be used by another mass group of people until the ones inside of it are out.  Keep in mind this was during a time when Server instancing technology and coding was in its infancy.  I believe they fixed it much later on some years later.  Now from what I know, havent played since Wings came out, they made nearly all hnms and nms have a trigger spawn via a farm-able item anyone can get their hands on with enough work. Tensions and drama cooled off in great significance, however this still left a rather bad burn between NA/EU/JP.  

The other bad thing was, that Japan had the latency advantage, and no matter what counter measures SE tried to take to make things "fair" against that advantage, JP players still had a way to claim about 0.3-0.5 seconds quicker than others due to being next to the servers. 

Then comes FFXIV, after its sorry mess in 1.0, and how NA/EU/JP remembering the horrors of sharing servers was back in FFXI, the latency issues, and all that.  The thing is FFXIV is way more twitch base, and having latency above 80 at all can be very bad.  Spite some protest from those who have no clue, stating that servers should be kept shared, for those who wanna play with those from other countries, simply they dont know any better or they are casual players and likely wont ever see a 8 man raid.  SE went ahead and created a NA Datacenter based in Montreal Canada.  Later on they created a EU Datacenter, its location however is unknown to me, never looked it up, but it is in Europe.  Before that they had NA servers, and 1 EU server.  The 1 EU server wasnt enough, and since the EU server was in the Canadian Data Center cluster, it didnt really matter.  Once the EU got its own data center in europe however, most of the europeans transferred to it, so they would no longer suffer ingame due to latency.  

Now as to why FFXIV 1.0 failed so bad?  Well theirs alot of theories, Tanaka, who spearheaded FFXI, wanted to create FFXI 2.0.  He had alot of ideas going for it, hell the world was huge enough, spite that he barred off half the world with enemies that will one shot you for trying to get there, I did manage to bypass all that and see everything, and from the looks of the things I saw, he had alot of plans.  However, what he didnt have was alot of time, from what I understood, the SE CEO decided to fail, again, likely why he had to step down, and went and made a bad decision on forcing FFXIV to be released, and to be fixed up later.  Which...didnt work at all well, as everyone knows it went horribly, the CEO blamed it on Tanaka, when it really wasnt his fault to begin with, for half of it anyway.  Thats why Tanaka left SE, and is now I believe the director of the new Xenoblade game that utilizes Online multiplayer. 

Bottom line, SE lost alot of money due primarily the incompetence of the CEO that was in office during FFXIV 1.0.  Some of the blame is on Tanaka though, his designs were pretty flawed, he wanted the game to be almost as slow paced as FFXI, which honestly didnt work at all.  It was excruciatingly slow, DQX is about 5x faster than FFXIV 1.0 at its release.  It had a system in place that limited your actions, a Stamina bar which gets used up for every single thing you do.  This got removed, but the gameplay was still pretty damn slow.  They also had a exp penalty system in place that if you exp on one class for too long, and it isnt even that long, you exp bar font will go yellow, and you will start getting a reduction in your exp.  The longer you stay on that class, the more tiers of reduction gets accumulated, until finally it goes red, and you only gain I believe it was 1-5 percent of the exp your supposed to gain.  The only way to alleviate this is to play on another class, or wait for a significant amount of time to go by depending on how many tiers you accumulated.  This was also hampered by the fact that, for whatever reason was going thru Tanakas head, that at the start for a good long while, you dont gain exp from kills to lv, you gain skill points.  Skill points is gained by doing actions, and their is a CHANCE to gain skill points, and each class gain skill points in slower or faster rates compared to the other.  Gladiators I believe had it the worst, because they use sword and shield.  Why is this bad?  Because sword and shield had their own skill exp line, and both can be leveled to 50, thus the skill points get shared between them due to a gladiators actions coming from sword or shield.  Thus a gladiator player could fall far behind his friends in levels, due to this problem.  Pugilists and Archers were the opposite, they both have rapid high speed attacks, so they accumulate skill points in rapid rates.  So they would get too far ahead of their friends in levels.  

Conjurers and Thms had a hard time too, they had to, instead of nuking, which drained their MP, and gave little in skill points since unlike auto attacks or weapon skills that the other classes can use, and each time used has a chance to gain skill points, the two mage classes only gets one chance at skill points per spell used.  This was a bad problem at the time because for a long while, their was no way to get MP back, at all, unless you had the MP Siphon ability, which if I remember, only Thms had it, so for a CNJ to get it, hed have to level up THM to cross class it.  Not only that, but it didnt give all that much back, and if your cross classing it, as a CNJ, theirs no chance of skill gain.  Due to all this, CNJs and THMs would repeatedly have to run back to the crystal, to get MP back, thus, each group would have two mages, who would have to take turns, healing, and only healing, to get skill points, and when one is out of MP, he goes back to get his MP back while the other takes his turn, all the while the Melee guys are consistently getting SP.  

Basically it was a tremendous amount of really bad and stupid stuff, it pissed people off, alot got turned off and never touched the game again, even I, who gave the game about 6 months or so of my time, just couldnt stand it anymore, and abandoned it, to go play TERA that was eventually coming out.  Funny enough, when TERA was about to be released, Yoshida took over, and announced FFXIV 2.0, showing concept art, and saying everything about how he is gonna fix it all and make it a blockbuster.  So I came back to FFXIV and finished off leveling all my classes to max lv.  Preparing to be the number 1 main tank on the server I chose.  Well, did all that, got betrayed by the FC I spent a year on, making it huge and number one on the server.  Least I got to live my online dream for half a year. -_- im still depressed about it, its why I wanted DQX probably more than anyone on this forum. Sighs....

But yea Cranberry, theirs your story.  SE can easily just keep the damn servers in Japan for significantly lower costs, the regional difficulties thing is bullshit and im sure that executive said it to dodge the damn question and not give the real reason, which would likely piss us off more.  Well, it wouldn't piss me off more, since I know hes is dodging the question instead of being out-straight.  Sighs....

Sorry, Alexandrious, but we've already got a number of threads on these same articles. If I could merge, I would, but copy/paste your responses in the proper threads to not clutter the board and chop up the discussion.