Sign in to follow this  
Solutus

Second DQM Joker crazy solo challenge (Sk8erpunq's log)

Warning: contains spoilers for DQM: Joker. Proceed at your own risk!

One more Joker challenge! Crazy one this time. The idea came from Ignasia7 (thanks buddy!).

And here are the rules:

1. Only one monster in active party

2. Reset upon death

3. Party can only contain Slimes (regular blue droplet shaped gooey)

To make the challenge less of time sink and more fun, I've decided to use 8x EXP cheat. It doesn't really make the game easier, just cuts time on grinding and re-leveling after synthesis.

A few words about Slimes. High stat caps, but terrible growths. Can equip whips, that's great! No resistances, but also no weaknesses. Critical massacre, not very reliable, but better than nothing, I guess...

Since there are no recipes for Slime, I'm stuck with the first one I scout and its skillsets until Palaish shrine, where I will get Phoenix scepter. It's not as bad, though. Slimer skillset has Heal, Frizz and Zap. Will do for a while.

I started it as soon as I heard about the idea. Here we go!

---
Sk8erpunq's log, 9/5/2014, 9:05PM
>First entry: Infant and Xeroph isles (1:03:24 on the clock)
>Monster: Slime (Rocket)

I named the scout Solo, then chose Mischievous mole as starter (not that it matters anyway). Upon reaching Infant Isle, I scouted first Slime I encountered and put it in the active party (sent the mole to subs). Named it Rocket.
Both Isles were quite easy. Thanks to 8x EXP code I almost wasn't forced to grind. Bought Leather Whip for regular encounters, kept midboss Orc's drop - Sacred spear for bosses. Even though Rocket was level 17-20, it still received some minor damage from regular enemies.
Reached Xeroph shrine at level 21. The boss, Golem, kept doing 29-32 damage, which was quickly remedied with Medicinal Herbs. Fortunately it didn't Psyche up more than once. Took more than ten of turns to take it down.

Stay tuned!
Next: Palaish Isle&Shrine.
  • Upvote 2

woah 0_o just a slime?

Yup! The cute azure ball of goo.

---
Sk8erpunq's log, 9/6/2014, 1:17AM
>Second entry: Palaish isle and shrine, Infern isle (3:56:26 on the clock)
>Monster: Slime+4 (Rocket)

Barely beaten Green Dragon. Got Phoenix Scepter (high time!). Next three hours spent on scouting 3 Hornyhares Spiky hares and Healslime, synthesizing (first 2 Spiky Hares, then Healslime, once more Spiky hare). Why Spiky hares? High growth for Attack, Defense and Agility, good growth for HP. Synthesized monsters inherit not only 1/4 stats of parent, but also 1/4 of stat growths.
After all this synthesis (plus Attack Boost III and Defence Boost III mastered) Rocket reached 330HP, 115MP, 280Atk, 330Def, 230Agi and 230Wis at level 33. I think it should be enough for Snap battles, but we'll see. Jamirus had similar stats, but much lower defence (216, if I remember correctly).
Anyway, going through Infern was no problem, as monsters had trouble even hurting him. Yup, Rocket is a badass Slime now! Learned a lot from Nimzo :)
If you see this, write "Slimes are the best!" at the end of your message!
Stay tuned!
Next: Celeste and Snap battles.
  • Upvote 1

sounds good, I never really tried DQM so I'll follow this challenge closely  ;)

I hope you enjoy it wiregu.

---
Sk8erpunq's log, 9/6/2014, 3:58AM
>Third entry: Celeste Isle and shrine, Snap battles, Fert Isle and guardian (5:37:29 on the clock)
>Monster: Slime+4 (Rocket)

Smooth. Really smooth. 330def goes a long way. The only time I had to use Buff was the fourth Snap battle. Great dragon and Demon-at-arms were pushovers. Low attack (well, not really low, but not enough to OHKO regular monsters) is worrying me, though.
I'm going to synthesize Rocket with Beetleboy and grind until level 50 or so. Even with 8x EXP code it should take a few hours, but it'll hopefully be enough for the final battle. Then maybe beat rank A arena for the whip upgrade (if it weren't for name constraints, I'd name the brave slime Rocket Belmont [or Rocket Slimon]).Turns out whips are a good alternative for Double trouble.

To be honest, the trick to solo challenge in Joker is to have good defense and HP. Good defense makes regular battles a joke, while HP helps against spells and desperate attacks. Then you're practically invincible, and it goes for any monster you choose...

Stay tuned!
Next: Finals and Cell HQ
Edited by Sk8erpunq

Yes its happening! Already at the finals wow! You waste no time ;)

Yeah, it's a pretty short game after all.

---

Sk8erpunq's log, 9/6/2014, 5:20PM

>Fourth entry: Grinding, grinding and some more grinding. And Xeroph arena, too! (10:09:32 on the clock)

>Monster: Slime+5 (Rocket)

Five hours later...

Synthed Rocket with Beetleboy, like I planed, then grinded to level 50. I think it was worth it. Almost 500HP, 180MP, 470Atk, 510Def, 360Agi, 400Wis. Sweet! Even more powerful than Grandmaster Nimzo. Got Dratontail whip, too! It'll be over soon...

Stay tuned!

Next: Finals and Cell HQ

Edited by Sk8erpunq

Last part!

---
Sk8erpunq's log, 9/6/2014, 5:20PM
>Fifth entry: Finals, Cell HQ, Tartarus, final boss (11:21:30 on the clock)
>Monster: Slime+5 (Rocket)

Not much to say, not an epic fight this time. Just a brave Slime attacking and healing every few turns. I made it! Took me two tries. Wizard's pennies are a must, since Kazammle does around 250 damage.

Rocket's final stats:
Level: 60
HP 578, MP 218
Att 576, Def 563
Agi 424, Wis 441
Equipped with Sacred talons.

End of Sk8erpunq's log for Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, solo Slime challenge.
---

That's all folks! I hope you enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

I wanted to say, I HAVE been paying attention, but alas I must apologize for not typing a response.

Anyway, it really is sad, and good at the same time, that the game is so short.  Very nice though.  I knew it could be done, but yeah, it certainly takes a lot of grinding, but at least you only needed 5 synths!

Nice job buddy, very nice!

Unbelievable.  You make it seem easy.  Thanks for the log and letting us follow along!

Haha, thanks guys! I was thinking I finished it so fast nobody noticed :)