redneckpride4ever

A blog to talk to Yuji Horii!

I think they just see a future for DQ in the US, on the mobile market.

So they'd at least recoup the cost of localization.

Well Eal we can all dream right lol... I will have to wait for a fan translation of the game I guess if there isn't already one.

Dragon Quest X looks fun, but the whole MMO experience I really must say doesn't appeal to me much for the DQ series. So I think I will live if I never get to play it.

Your life will never be complete if you can't say "I finished all the main series of Dragon Quest".

And really the only game that can Still be localized is DQ VII all the other ones, even DQM2 for 3DS is already past.

That makes no sense at all.

The 3DS is still alive, kicking, and Terry's Wonderland and the DQM2 remake are both on the it, just like DQVII.  Given they've already announced the Rocket Slime games, when (if for most of us now) they announce DQVII 3DS, I would say that leaves ample room to release these two games.

Let's not forget Final Fantasy Zero and Agito ;).  Look at how old those two are before finally releasing?  What about Tales of Graces which was almost 3 years out when it finally saw a US release?  Even XBC was 2 years out with the US release, NoA held back so long.  Pandora's Tower was 2 years out by the time it reached NA as well, and was released well after the Wii was no longer supported directly by Nintendo.  Ni No Kuni was 2 years from it's initial release on the DS before we saw word of a US release...PS3 only, but still took awhile.

So why is there now a "window" of opportunity that is killed permanently when the system it's on is still alive and well, and given the N3DS, likely to be alive and well for a long time from now?

I think another good example of that would be the Original Final Fantasy III for the DS and how long it took for it to be ported over here.

• Upvote 1

Well Eal we can all dream right lol... I will have to wait for a fan translation of the game I guess if there isn't already one.

Dragon Quest X looks fun, but the whole MMO experience I really must say doesn't appeal to me much for the DQ series. So I think I will live if I never get to play it.

Your life will never be complete if you can't say "I finished all the main series of Dragon Quest".

And really the only game that can Still be localized is DQ VII all the other ones, even DQM2 for 3DS is already past.

That makes no sense at all.

The 3DS is still alive, kicking, and Terry's Wonderland and the DQM2 remake are both on the it, just like DQVII. Given they've already announced the Rocket Slime games, when (if for most of us now) they announce DQVII 3DS, I would say that leaves ample room to release these two games.

Let's not forget Final Fantasy Zero and Agito ;). Look at how old those two are before finally releasing? What about Tales of Graces which was almost 3 years out when it finally saw a US release? Even XBC was 2 years out with the US release, NoA held back so long. Pandora's Tower was 2 years out by the time it reached NA as well, and was released well after the Wii was no longer supported directly by Nintendo. Ni No Kuni was 2 years from it's initial release on the DS before we saw word of a US release...PS3 only, but still took awhile.

So why is there now a "window" of opportunity that is killed permanently when the system it's on is still alive and well, and given the N3DS, likely to be alive and well for a long time from now?

I think another good example of that would be the Original Final Fantasy III for the DS and how long it took for it to be ported over here.

Ok there is a couple of examples that I may be wrong, but really being realistic, we are really not going to see that ones now on 3DS.

As Madrigal said, an example of a new future port can occur and in this case, we can get it.

But this time? Getting DQM 1 and 2 on 3DS is almost impossible.

Nothing is impossible unless the system is defunct and out of commission.  The amount of work on localizing a DQM game for a team member from the original game is minimal at best.  DQ7 would be another deal altogether, but the amount of actual gameplay, scenario triggers, and script changes to handle in DQM's remakes doesn't even break wind when in the presence of DQ4's "sheer size" (cough*small*cough).

So I think it's definitely possible.  Also, very good point Madrigal, there are a few others I've missed as well.  Such as VC and PSN releases that took a god awfully long time to come to the US after the Japanese release, even when they already had US releases (I'm still waiting on my Enix titles SE?  Where's my Lennus 1?  What about Robotrek?  How about some Heaven's Sword trilogy love...there's an English version released in the UK that can easily be converted for a US VC release of Terranigma?)

Anyway, I'm bumping this thread for those who may not have seen.  We should all put in our voices at least once (once per person is actually preferred for this one), respectfully of course, but to let SE, and hopefully Horii-san, know that we believe in DQ in the West, and we would like to see those releases on active systems denied us.  Or at least a more positive approach to Dragon Quest given Dragon Quest IX's absurdly high sales (not even 98% of all game releases hit 500k in total sales worldwide, and DQIX hit not 250k, not 500k, but over 600k) given it only saw 2 months of a release announcement and softcore marketing (some hardcore fan marketing with the Horii event in NYC, but that was it for hardcore)...smart marketing too.  Imagine if DQ9 saw the level of marketing FF7 saw?  Yeah, now we're thinking from a whole new perspective.  Now we're looking at value per dollar spent and marketability.  Now we're looking at DQ as more than a niche, but an intuitive, fun, charming, and easy to get into series that almost anyone can enjoy.

There ya go, some motivation, some food for thought, and perhaps some ideas to plop into your comments on that blog if you haven't yet made one!

Nothing is impossible unless the system is defunct and out of commission.  The amount of work on localizing a DQM game for a team member from the original game is minimal at best.  DQ7 would be another deal altogether, but the amount of actual gameplay, scenario triggers, and script changes to handle in DQM's remakes doesn't even break wind when in the presence of DQ4's "sheer size" (cough*small*cough).

So I think it's definitely possible.  Also, very good point Madrigal, there are a few others I've missed as well.  Such as VC and PSN releases that took a god awfully long time to come to the US after the Japanese release, even when they already had US releases (I'm still waiting on my Enix titles SE?  Where's my Lennus 1?  What about Robotrek?  How about some Heaven's Sword trilogy love...there's an English version released in the UK that can easily be converted for a US VC release of Terranigma?)

Anyway, I'm bumping this thread for those who may not have seen.  We should all put in our voices at least once (once per person is actually preferred for this one), respectfully of course, but to let SE, and hopefully Horii-san, know that we believe in DQ in the West, and we would like to see those releases on active systems denied us.  Or at least a more positive approach to Dragon Quest given Dragon Quest IX's absurdly high sales (not even 98% of all game releases hit 500k in total sales worldwide, and DQIX hit not 250k, not 500k, but over 600k) given it only saw 2 months of a release announcement and softcore marketing (some hardcore fan marketing with the Horii event in NYC, but that was it for hardcore)...smart marketing too.  Imagine if DQ9 saw the level of marketing FF7 saw?  Yeah, now we're thinking from a whole new perspective.  Now we're looking at value per dollar spent and marketability.  Now we're looking at DQ as more than a niche, but an intuitive, fun, charming, and easy to get into series that almost anyone can enjoy.

There ya go, some motivation, some food for thought, and perhaps some ideas to plop into your comments on that blog if you haven't yet made one!

Yea, we need more marketing.

Just saying that I agree with the FF3 DS example, but I am not against it, nor it is opposite to what I said. In case it is more of a proof of what I said.

The FF3 DS is an example that we may see DQM 2 LATER, in another release, but not on 3DS.

At least our small wave of news of Dragon Quest and the cheap DQ I might get more people interested in the series.

One of the strange things I cannot understand: Why a lot of people that like FF do not like DQ? I just don't understand.

What I find interesting is when prompted and really questioned, almost everyone I've talked to who doesn't like DQ but does like FF, has never actually played a Dragon Quest, or spent less than an hour, expected it to be identical, or nearly so, to FF, and put down the controller.  I think it comes from a basic perspective that they weren't giving the games a chance and merely assumed that just because it doesn't play like FF games do, it won't be fun.  I constantly hear complaints that battles are slower in DQ.  Yet even comparing FF1 to DQ1, DQ1 battles are faster.  DQ8 battles, though the US/EU versions are slower than the Japanese original, and are by far the slowest of all DQ battle systems ever, they are still faster than all FF battles from FF7 onward.

So basically what I've come to understand is that they just don't pay attention so they really don't know if they would actually like DQ or not.  Heck, having played through even the NES DQ4, and noticing that it's just a tad faster than DQ8 PS2 US/EU, it's still pretty bloody fast.  Battles last 1-4 rounds, and any one round usually lasts about 1/2 the time of an FF equivalent full round in 1-3, and about 1/3rd the time of FF4-6 set at the fastest battle speed on both DQ and FF.  Just getting through everyone's turn in FF6 and dealing with the enemy turn...it feels faster because everything is moving constantly, but it's really not.

Then I played around again with the DS remakes.  I mean talk about fast paced battles.  A round in DQ6 DS is like 1/2 that of DQ1-4 NES.  Menu selection is faster (despite the confounded way they grouped skills and spells...so assume few classes maxed).  DQ4 and 5 are even faster as there's less to sort through in battle.  DQ7, even the 3DS version, splits everything up into categories, and WOW, it's fast.

After playing around with DQ's for a bit, then playing some FF games, FF becomes really slow all of a sudden.  A more realistic perspective on the clear differences sinks in.

So ya, I'd say people just need to actually try it from an open mind and no expectations.  Or heck, sell it like it should be, market it like it should be.  FF is marketed as this sexy blazeon of flash and shiny stuff.  DQ just needs to be looked at like coming home or something.  Like it's fun, enjoyable.  Think of it like quirky anime with some charm, a little flash in the pan for some eye dazzle, and a lot of adventure.  Wouldn't you like to go adventuring, traipsing through the woods with nothing more than a stick (cypress stick that is), and looking for any lurking blue ball of goo?  Hell yes you would.  The characters can, individually, be sold differently.  DQV could've really pushed the concept of the plight of the hero, and his ability to overcome as he searches desperately for signs of his family and those who stole them from him.  I mean wow...DQ7 can be sold on the ever changing story arcs, of which there are 3 main (the only one with 3 separate story arcs so far).  The curiosity of children in a world of peace, trying to unlock the mysteries of a ruin and why the world is so...well, empty, and so perfect.  Something clearly seems missing...only to find...OMG WHAT IS THAT BALL OF GOO!  It's attacking someone!  It's clearly menacing...like the opening of DQ9 in that sense!  Then touch on the traits of each character.  The main obviously having some mystic connections and being a sturdy build of a warrior despite his age, and the overwhelming odds against him at every new island?  So much to work with.

I mean damn, sell the story, sell the fun of the gameplay, the choices people can make, the spirit of adventure and exploration.  Sell the goshdarn incredible soundtrack, the tragic stories and tearful reunions...that would target the areas of people's minds that would more clearly define what DQ is....all while playing up the charming elements.  I mean no series is as charming, simple, and just good clean fun as DQ is, and yet constantly refines and creates such a flawlessly engaging experience.

So really I think you just have to open people's minds to what about DQ can be appealing, and hope they're willing to try it on those merits.  That way they won't go in thinking...omg another RPG, hope it plays like FF whatever (probably 7, since 7 has so many diehard fanatics...I don't call them fans, I call them fanatics...and oh there are fans, but most are fanatically devoted to FF7, blinded by their inability to understand why they enjoyed it, and devoted to their childhood memory of what they think they enjoyed about it...believing foolishly that Sephiroth was ever a worthy anything, when really he was so easily dispatched by a mere boy playing soldier, and at the height of his power and climax of his wrath).

I don't hate FF7, nor do I hate Sephiroth, just the way people talk about them both, clearly ignoring key elements of the game and the character, and playing up almost nonexistent traces of what one would assume makes for a good villain, when really he's a chump, and the only one we're chasing is bloody jenovah in a sephiroth suit, since the man sephiroth died years ago after being beaten by an untrained...yes untrained Cloud, and tossed like the overhyped piece of trash he really was, into the lifestream, a stream that would automatically devour any bioessence of the planet, meaning all that was left were Jenovah cells, so...yeah, people worshiping Sephiroth are like people worshiping Norman Bates, only in reverse, the Mother playing son instead of son playing Mother.

Posted (edited)

Need to buy autographed DQ item!

Hi everyone, I realize this might be weird as I just joined, but I have a situation.  My prize possession was an autographed copy of dq9 purchased and autographed by Yuji Horii himself at the Nintendo world event for dq9 launch day in NYC.  However, due to strange and unfortunate events, I no longer have it, and my wife blames herself and is going crazy trying to replace it, including planning a trip to Japan to knock on Yuji Horii’s front door if it comes to that.  

I realize this is a tall order for any fan, but I would truly appreciate it if anyone can part with theirs.  I am willing to pay of course, and I would prefer buying from people fortunate enough to have two or more autographs in their possession. I don’t want anyone to regret this like I did when I lost mine.

Edit: info on alternative methods of getting Horii’s autograph are welcome too.

Edited by Yurayura

On 5/17/2020 at 4:09 AM, Yurayura said:

Need to buy autographed DQ item!

Hi everyone, I realize this might be weird as I just joined, but I have a situation.  My prize possession was an autographed copy of dq9 purchased and autographed by Yuji Horii himself at the Nintendo world event for dq9 launch day in NYC.  However, due to strange and unfortunate events, I no longer have it, and my wife blames herself and is going crazy trying to replace it, including planning a trip to Japan to knock on Yuji Horii’s front door if it comes to that.  

I realize this is a tall order for any fan, but I would truly appreciate it if anyone can part with theirs.  I am willing to pay of course, and I would prefer buying from people fortunate enough to have two or more autographs in their possession. I don’t want anyone to regret this like I did when I lost mine.

Edit: info on alternative methods of getting Horii’s autograph are welcome too.

I think your best bet would be to constantly monitor Yahoo Japan auctions and websites like Mandarake, that's where they sell these things. Ebay is ok, too but I think Japanese don't use it much. Yahoo auctions should have it.

Wait around for another event where he'll be signing. I flew to LA for just a few hours to go to Anime Expo in 2018, just to meet him, tell him thank you and that I've been a fan of the series since I was 10 years old (in Japanese). I got his autograph and a photo with him. Originally I was told he was only signing the paper cards they had there, but other people brought games and merch and he was cool with signing whatever. Just bring a spare DQIX cart the next time there's an even where he'll be around, and you're golden.

If you do go to Japan, good luck actually finding his apartment. I understand it's a well kept secret, as the Japanese DraQue Otaku would otherwise all be stalking him.